This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Idea] Shadowland at disney's hollywood studios

I have an idea for land similar in style to what I have in mind for Walt Disney Studios Park, but this one would be different slightly and such. Feel free to comment and share ideas.

Anyway for starters here's my ideas,

SHADOWLAND:

Overview: Here guests can experience a land that is themed to dark disney villains and such. This land will replace the Backlot Tour.

Attractions:
    1. Night on Bald Mountain: (outdoor/indoor roller coaster) Dare to journey through Bald Mountain and encounter the infamous Chernabog, who unleashes his devilish power by awaking the dead and such FP SR
    2. Captain Hook's Jolly Roger: (trans) Climb aboard the Jolly Roger for a tour of Shadow River
    3. Ursula's Grotto: (dark ride) Explore the underwater cave of the sea witch Ursula from Disney's The Little Mermaid
    4. Headless Horsemen's Carousel: (carousel) Hop aboard a horse and join the Headless Horsemen on a exciting filled ride
    5. Queen of Heart's Croquet Mania: (tea cups) Off with your vehicle as you spin along a Croquet tournament area
    6. The Evil Queen's Castle: (walk-through) Come and explore the castle of the Evil Queen from Walt Disney's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
    7. Maleficent's Revenge: (walk-through) Journey through parts of Maleficent's Castle and encounter the infamous Maleficent herself but in her dragon form
    8. Cave of Wonders: (dark ride) Dare to journey through the Cave of Wonders and recover a magic lamp that unleashes Jafar's in his Genie form

Shops
    :
    1. Chernabog's Gallery
    2. Hook's Traders
    3. Flotsum & Jatsum's
    4. Magic Potion Shop
    5. Dungeons
    6. Iago's Gifts

Dinning:
    1. House of Villains
    2. Captain Hook's Pointe
    3. It's a Magic Wishing Apple Cafe
    4. Queen of Hearts Banquet Hall
    Last edited by Mickey Mouse rocks; 02-18-2012, 08:37 AM.
    "I would rather entertain and hope that people learned something, than educate people and hope they were entertained" - Walt Disney

Re: Shadowland at disney's hollywood studios

I almost feel it would be more efficient, MMR, if you just made a Kingdom Hearts area and got it over with. I mean, this kind of tossing films and characters and themes together into a tossed salad and binding them together with an overarching 'theme' is exactly what that video game does, and the area would probably have a more cohesive story for it.

I mean, there's nothing wrong with the idea of a villain attraction. I mean, heck, it's an awesome idea. However, smushing all of these together because a) they're all 'villains' and b) it's DHS so you can get away with this kind of dumping everything in one place whether it belongs or not... I don't know. It just doesn't feel quite right.

Maybe it's something about DHS - something I've never quite gotten. I don't really understand that park: don't understand the underlying concepts very well, don't understand the implementation... But this still seems a bit much.

I would suggest in terms of positive feedback that you place these attractions in various lands, instead of just one - and I feel that would work wonderfully.
    "And after a long time or a short time, Ivan and the Wolf came at last to the home of the Firebird..."sigpic

Comment

I agree with Oranos, it just doesn't really work for me. also there is already going to be a scar play area at the new art of animation hotel, and developing a second little mermaid dark ride doesn't seem like the best plan either. then you have another alice in wonderland tea cup ride and a flume ride where the central character is also a central character in fantasmic in the same park doesn't make much sense too me. then you talk about the jolly roger but there is no water source there to put it in and creating one would eat up a ton of space and prevent further expansion, and then representing the headless horseman from ichabod crane with a carousel doesnt make a whole lot of sense to me either. i liked the idea of the bald mountain and the jafar coaster but jafar never had a palace, perhaps if you switched the location to the cave of wonders it would work better.

Comment

I think that putting all those villains together just because they are villains don't quite work. A "Villain Village" should work better. Like Toontown, but for villains. It could resemble New Orleans Square in style. There could be rides like Ursula's Top Spinner, The Pool of Souls River Rapids, The Infamous Gallery (A mix of M/G and Walkthrough), a version of the Villains Tonight show from Disney Cruises and some ride (maybe a KUKA) taking place in Maleficent's Castle, where Mickey could defeat all the villains. About the Headless Horseman, I always imagined a trackless dark ride like Pooh's Hunny Hunt where the riders could pass by some scenes from the short (like Ichabod's class or the party) and then, at the climax, escape the Horseman, through the forest. Just my idea, even because I don't think that there's so much space in the Backlot Tour. Sorry if there are any mispellings in my post, it's because I'm brazilian and I don't speak english very well
        Last edited by calvinco96; 02-17-2012, 06:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by goofy donald View Post
          I agree with Oranos, it just doesn't really work for me. also there is already going to be a scar play area at the new art of animation hotel, and developing a second little mermaid dark ride doesn't seem like the best plan either. then you have another alice in wonderland tea cup ride and a flume ride where the central character is also a central character in fantasmic in the same park doesn't make much sense too me. then you talk about the jolly roger but there is no water source there to put it in and creating one would eat up a ton of space and prevent further expansion, and then representing the headless horseman from ichabod crane with a carousel doesnt make a whole lot of sense to me either. i liked the idea of the bald mountain and the jafar coaster but jafar never had a palace, perhaps if you switched the location to the cave of wonders it would work better.
          Funny because in Aladdin, Jafar took control over Agrabah Palace temporary until he was put into the lamp.
          "I would rather entertain and hope that people learned something, than educate people and hope they were entertained" - Walt Disney

Comment

Originally posted by Mickey Mouse rocks View Post
            Funny because in Aladdin, Jafar took control over Agrabah Palace temporary until he was put into the lamp.
            yes but its not "jafar's palace" as the ride suggests, its a confusing name

Comment

I'm sorry if I offended you, MMR - but lowering the reputation of those that criticize your ideas isn't the way to deal with it. Instead, address the points that were made, and form logical counterarguments. I find that that's a much more effective way of winning debates in the long run.
              "And after a long time or a short time, Ivan and the Wolf came at last to the home of the Firebird..."sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 0ranos View Post
                I'm sorry if I offended you, MMR - but lowering the reputation of those that criticize your ideas isn't the way to deal with it. Instead, address the points that were made, and form logical counterarguments. I find that that's a much more effective way of winning debates in the long run.
                I accept your apology and my apologies for the reputation thing, it's just I always feel like some criticized on my ideas and I'm trying to ignore criticisms and focus on my ideas. I'm doing what I think is right, by adding lands that interests people and sides I prefer the attractions I have in mind stay in one land but that's just me.
                Last edited by Mickey Mouse rocks; 02-17-2012, 09:22 AM.

Comment

It's perfectly alright. It's important, though, to be able to defend your ideas to those that don't share your view on 'what you think is right'. Your proposals are always fairly well put together, and polished-looking. The only issue is that in general you don't offer specific reasons for your proposals, other than that you can see them there, and think it would be a good idea.

We're a rational - and a bit of a cynical - lot, some of us Disney fanatics, and oftentimes to convince us something is a good idea you need good, hard facts and rationalizations. If you don't want to operate that way, that's perfectly fine, but be prepared to get some criticisms about the proposal not being 'grounded' enough.

Thanks again, and keep up the good work!

Comment

I love your idea but Jafar's Palace can be rethemed into a Cave of Wonders ride?? With Jafar as the Genie attacking guests??
                    Tokyo Disneyland Crew!

Currently working at:: Journey to the Center of the Earth!

Comment

Originally posted by Prometheus View Post
                      I love your idea but Jafar's Palace can be rethemed into a Cave of Wonders ride?? With Jafar as the Genie attacking guests??
                      Sure it can

---------- Post added 02-17-2012 at 07:43 PM ----------

Otherwise, anyone have any suggestions and or compliments?

Comment

If they build Cars Land where you want to build this, where do you plan on it going?
                        -Bill

Comment

I personally dislike the whole idea of a villains land/park/what-have-you. I think it just creates an odd mashup of redundancy that cannot really go anywhere. Chernabog is put down by the Ave Maria, Captain Hook is chased off by the crocodile and possibly eaten, Ursula is killed, the Headless Horseman may not have existed, the Queen of Hearts is a dream, Maleficent is killed, the Evil Queen is killed and Jafar is killed.

I always feel like some criticized on my ideas and I'm trying to ignore criticisms and focus on my ideas.
                          Constantly being criticized is part of being engaged in creative endeavors. Ignoring criticism is also probably one of the worst things you could do, as it is from criticism that one learns and grows.

Comment

I like a lot of these ideas and I think that if Disney were to ever make a villain area it would be at DHS--it could be like a movie studio for villains I guess. I would love to see more in-depth descriptions of your ideas, because if fleshed out, this could be a very exciting addition.

The only criticism I have is how some of these rides would be executed. For example, a Cave of Wonders roller coaster--what would the story to that be? We already know what happens, so where's the excitement in setting up that story and having the big climax? I like most of your other ideas although I'm not sure how the flume technology fits the theme you're going for. Those two E-tickets probably wouldn't make it anyway becuase they'd jack the price up too much hahah

Other than those minor things I like what you've got here and can't wait to see more. But maybe consider all kinds of ride technologies available and then match them up to appropriate themes, and make sure that your rides are there to tell stories, not just be there for the sake of it, you know?

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                              If they build Cars Land where you want to build this, where do you plan on it going?
                              If they build a cars land it will be the third worst decision TDO has made in recent history following shortly behind Avatar at DAK and lowering maintenance budgets.

Comment

Re: Shadowland at Disney's Hollywood Studios

Originally posted by TylerDurden View Post
                                I like a lot of these ideas and I think that if Disney were to ever make a villain area it would be at DHS--it could be like a movie studio for villains I guess. I would love to see more in-depth descriptions of your ideas, because if fleshed out, this could be a very exciting addition.

The only criticism I have is how some of these rides would be executed. For example, a Cave of Wonders roller coaster--what would the story to that be? We already know what happens, so where's the excitement in setting up that story and having the big climax? I like most of your other ideas although I'm not sure how the flume technology fits the theme you're going for. Those two E-tickets probably wouldn't make it anyway becuase they'd jack the price up too much hahah

Other than those minor things I like what you've got here and can't wait to see more. But maybe consider all kinds of ride technologies available and then match them up to appropriate themes, and make sure that your rides are there to tell stories, not just be there for the sake of it, you know?
                                I'll promise to get into more detail on that soon...

---------- Post added 02-18-2012 at 09:38 AM ----------

Originally posted by goofy donald View Post
                                If they build a cars land it will be the third worst decision TDO has made in recent history following shortly behind Avatar at DAK and lowering maintenance budgets.
                                I wouldn't consider that the worst decision since people love Pixar and Avatar.

Comment

Re: Shadowland at Disney's Hollywood Studios

I wouldn't consider that the worst decision since people love Pixar and Avatar.
                                  So for DHS there would be a pixar land and a cars land? how does that make any sense? on top of that, cars isnt even ranked on a wide consensus of various sources in the top 5 pixar movies let alone disney movies, why does it deserve three cloned lands in separate parks worldwide? on top of that as well, why clone an entire land and bring it to DHS? it totally takes away from the unique factor that's supposed to generate revenue for DCA.

As for avatar the reasons why this wouldn't work include doesnt belong in DAK, longevity is questioned, poor merchandising opportunities, near impossibility of creating the same level of realism as was present in the movie leading to disappointment, the oxymoron of commercializing a land that didn't want to become taken over and essentially commercialized, ect.

to conclude, Avatar does NOT belong in DAK (maybe in DHS), and carsland does not belong in WDW at all.

sorry to hijack your thread, just wanted to respond to the comments above, please continue with your idea.

Comment

Working...
                                  X