This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Idea] Great Movie Ride: improvement campaign

It's been a few years since I was at Movie Ride as a CP. I had decided to visit my old area and see what changes had been made over the last few years.

The Musical scene with Footlight Parade: The slide projections used to fade in and out. Now, they're kept on all the time.
    Gangster: the Hotel sign "H" used to flicker on and off, now it's just overly bright all the time.
    The Lights for the Animatronics: the lights look brighter, but make the characters more "cartoony." James Cagney is (as my wife calls it) smurf blue. Clint Eastwood is pumpkin orange. The Sheriff and "Snake" look light they're telling ghost stories with a flashlight under their faces.
    I hate to say it, but it feels like the lighting and electrical guys just got lazy with this stuff. I'm glad to see Raiders of the Lost Ark and The Anubis scene look more "theatrical" than when I was there. But one thing bothers me. And it bothered me years ago...

But I remember a time when the "mouth" of the Wall alien was tucked slightly behind the pipe where its "hands" rested. I had asked a CM about the issue and they gave me a bit of insight.

I remember when it stopped functioning normally over five years ago. Was this still the same problem? The CM advised me that the wall Alien has become a laughing point for some of the guests. Some CMs switch roles at GMR and this one said that, as times as a gangster, she's had practically every other vehicle laugh or simply point out the wall alien propped up and unconcealed. How long had this CM been at the Ride? Almost 4 years and it had been that way since she first started.

I understand things break. I understand some parts aren't readily available. I understand most of the issues with Movie Ride have to deal with the CMs acting. But I feel like this needs to be taken care of and I have a double-edged proposal.

I am suggesting that, as Guests, we "fix" the Movie Ride. Not with armchair Imagineering, but with a proactive campaign directed towards Management and especially Guest Relations. That day, I walked up to Guest Relations and complimented my Tour Guide, lambasted my Gangster and told them the Wall Alien was broken. They said they'd address it.

One report isn't going to be enough. So I'm asking the readers here to help me with a very simple campaign to improve the show quality on this one ride.

If you are at the Disney Hollywood Studios and happen to ride the Great Movie Ride, go up to Guest Relations and tell them about your Tour Guide (good or bad), Your Gangster or Bandit and if the wall alien is already popped out before your vehicle even approaches it... Tell them it looks broken. With these three simple steps, I believe that we can make an impact. My wife was lucky enough to be surveyed and made a mention of the wall Alien on my behalf.

I'm hoping that with enough compliments or complaints, the Great Movie Ride can alter its path and become an enjoyable dark ride for the whole family again.

I'd welcome any opinions or suggestions?

Re: Great Movie Ride: improvement campaign

You are assuming they do not already know. It is a solid plan but i am skeptical of how successful it can really be.
    BGood! It's not just my motto its my name!

Comment

its a great idea, I love it and will certainly participate and hopefully others do to. I had the same issue last time i was there, great tour guide, mediocre to low caliber cow boy and the other time ok tour guide, worst mobster I've ever had. on another note, how cool was it to work on great movie ride lol.

Comment

I think they should replace a few scenes, like the Casablanca scene with a scene with more impact, like Stay Puft from ghostbusters attacking....but anyways, I agree with the Alien part...it looked very fake and I wanted my son to be scared of the alien, but it failed...
        Tokyo Disneyland Crew!

Currently working at:: Journey to the Center of the Earth!

Comment

I always mean to go to Guest Relations, but the lines are as long as ride queues (staffing costs money), and since my time in the park is limited, it's hard to make myself spend that time waiting in line to be nodded and smiled at when my experience with most of corporate America tells me that the people in charge have already made up their minds about whet they're going to do or not do. I hate feeling that cynical, but there it is.

Comment

Replace Tarzan with Avatar so we don't have to suffer that stupidity at Animal Kingdom
            M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E
            sigpic
            Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by FigmentJedi View Post
              Replace Tarzan with Avatar so we don't have to suffer that stupidity at Animal Kingdom
              Tarzan is better, slightly, but still not the correct response in my opinion. original continent based ideas worked before and created arguably the best themed lands in Disney parks, why move away from that.

Comment

Interesting insights. Really, another decline at Footlight? Can they shame that poor scene any more than has already been done over the years?
                I can't even place a Wall Alien. Where is he in relation to the ceiling Alien or Sigourney Weaver?
                Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

Comment

Originally posted by SpectroMan View Post
                  Interesting insights. Really, another decline at Footlight? Can they shame that poor scene any more than has already been done over the years?
                  I can't even place a Wall Alien. Where is he in relation to the ceiling Alien or Sigourney Weaver?
                  After Sigourney, just before ceiling alien

Comment

Originally posted by goofy donald View Post
                    Tarzan is better, slightly, but still not the correct response in my opinion. original continent based ideas worked before and created arguably the best themed lands in Disney parks, why move away from that.
                    But Pandora's not a continent, it's a planet that's only significant enough for a theme park land in the massive space that is James Cameron's Ego.

Tarzan scene in GMR has been problematic over the years anyway, especially Cheeta's head.
                    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E
                    sigpic
                    Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by FigmentJedi View Post
                      But Pandora's not a continent, it's a planet that's only significant enough for a theme park land in the massive space that is James Cameron's Ego.

Tarzan scene in GMR has been problematic over the years anyway, especially Cheeta's head.
                      ohhhhhh my apologies! now i agree with you even though avatar isnt classic enough to be in GMR IMO. i thought you were talking about a tarzan land in DAK, a duhh moment lol.

Comment

I got to ride this for the first time last month and enjoyed most of the ride. I now recall expecting more from the Alien scene since the movie scares the dickens out of me. I could really do without the extended Follow the Yellow Brick Road song.... Wouldn't flying monkeys set a better scary stage?

I also just found out all of my pictures from the ride came out blurry. Rats.
                        sigpic
                        Hidden Mickey - Historical fiction about Walt that mixes action and mystery with time travel and fantasy! Tweens to adults will enjoy these novels. And now, three gamebooks to play in Disneyland, DCA and WDW Magic Kingdom!

Check out my six action/adventure novels about Walt's lost diary and his epic quest. Visit my blog page!

Sometimes Dead Men DO Tell Tales!

Comment

Working...
                        X