Announcement

Collapse
See more
See less

Should I be worried when I read "Scattered T-Storms" on the Disney World 7 day?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Should I be worried when I read "Scattered T-Storms" on the Disney World 7 day?

So I'm leaving in just a few days for my very first walt disney world trip. I checked out the weather forecast today and it is showing every day around 80 degrees and sunny except for 2 days in there it says 82 degrees with "Scattered T-Storms". I am not familiar with Florida weather at all... Is this the type of weather where they start closing down the theme parks and rides??
    I Have the Best Job in the World.

Proud to be a Conductor on the Walt Disney World Railroad

Re: Should I be worried when I read "Scattered T-Storms" on the Disney World 7 day?

No, most everything continues to operate through weather. Only strong lightning will shutdown outdoor rides a bit. But most things are indoors so its a non-issue.

Florida always has scattered weather. Nothing to worry about.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Originally posted by sleepyjeff
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Comment

Re: Should I be worried when I read "Scattered T-Storms" on the Disney World 7 day?

Trust me, pack your rain gear and don't worry about it. It's not as bad as it seems. It's part of the experience.
      DisneyTwins
      Since May 2003

Comment

Originally posted by mattthemickeyman View Post
        So I'm leaving in just a few days for my very first walt disney world trip. I checked out the weather forecast today and it is showing every day around 80 degrees and sunny except for 2 days in there it says 82 degrees with "Scattered T-Storms". I am not familiar with Florida weather at all... Is this the type of weather where they start closing down the theme parks and rides??
        This is basically the forecast every day in Orlando. (Although it rarely actually rains for more than a few minutes at a time, if at all)

Comment

Enjoy it!

Consider heading to Downtown Disney for a movie, or
          enjoy watching a thunderstorm from a porch.

Target sells inexpensive, disposable ponchos you can carry in your back pocket for about $1.50
          and (when in stock) the 99 Cents Only store sells them two for $1. (OK, really 99.9 cents.)

Comment

I ended up double-layering when I had to deal with ongoing rain over a week: Light rainjacket and a poncho over that. It was hot, but I kept dry.

Also, bad weather's a blessing for wait times.
            M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E
            sigpic
            Flickr

Comment

I second, third, and forth the one buck disposable ponchos. They're small and cheap enough that you can squirrel a half dozen or so extra away in everyone's packs, and having and not needing beats needing and not having any day of the week.

Comment

The forecast can change on a daily and even HOURLY basis here in Florida. Just as an example, last week, on Thursday morning, it said the forecast for Saturday was 50% chance of rain. Thursday evening at one point, the forecast for Saturday was 10% chance of rain... then just a few hours later it said 40% chance! Finally Friday morning it said 20% chance of rain on Saturday and stayed that way. The actual weather on Saturday? Was cloudy in the morning, but by mid-afternoon, it had cleared up and was nice and sunny.

The weather here in Florida is just WEIRD and really unpredictable.

If it's says 30% or less chance of rain, it will most likely not do anything. But if you get 50% chance or more, then it will most likely rain. Just bring an umbrella or buy a poncho and have fun. Just keep an eye on the forecast and plan ahead and be prepared!

Oh and if there is lightning within a 5 mile radius, then any outdoor rides will be shut down as a precaution.

Comment

I have limited experience at WDW but it seems like the storms come and go very quickly and then it's sunny again.

Comment

Either pack an umbrella or grab some cheap dry ducks. I usually carry around a light umbrella made by GoLite.

Comment

We keep cheap platic ponchos in our backpacks and I often bring foldup umbrellas...

That having been said, hope for rain! Get to the park at rope drop (especially if rain is forecast - crowd will be lots smaller as the stroller crowd often waits to see what the weather will do). Crowds are often much lighter, especially before noon. Most attractions aren't affected by the rain.

Enjoy!

Comment

It's just sad the the hottest, most humid, and wettest time of the year in Orlando is during the summer...the biggest tourist season of the year.
                        I see pics and videos of people just drenched in sweat. And I've heard from virtually everyone who has been there during the summer that it's brutal. And it never ends. And they will never go back during the summer.
                        Then there's Disneyland and California Adventure...ahhhh, serenity. Southern California is only one of five places on the planet with a Mediterranean climate. And it's heaven. Never too hot, never too cold, hardly ever wet. And that's year round, not just during the summer.

Comment

Your clothes will dry. You shoes and socks? Won't. Be sure to pack an extra pair of socks, and maybe sandals or some other pair of lightweight shoes encase your others get soaked. This happened to me, and I didn't have any dry extras to put on. By the end of the day, my feet had blisters and the skin was peeling off. It's something that can ruin the entire day. So if there's any chance of rain on the days your going, make sure to bring along something dry.

Comment

very good point Stitch. What I usually do when I'm in the parks is where my Adidas superstar memory foam sandals. I know some people cant pull that off but for me it works wonders. For example, the second last day of my vacation I walked in them from rope drop at DHS for a couple hours then walked to epcot on the path along the water, did a lap of world showcase for about an hour and a half, monorail to MK and didnt get off my feet really till 730 before going for dinner. I guess what I'm trying to say here is whatever works for you but if you want to try my method ive never gotten a blister once with a memory foam sandal, rain or shine.

Comment

Always make sure your head and feet remain dry.
                              DisneyTwins
                              Since May 2003

Comment

Some quick tips. If you know you might be walking around in wet feet, go with Darn Tough Wool socks. Your feet will be wet, but they'll be warm. As for your shoes drying, I've had a lot of good luck with Rocklite shoes. They tend to dry in a reasonable amount of time. If you're super worried about getting blisters, you can try hydropel along with some second skin and mole skin. But I'm usually fine in just trail runners and wool socks since I really don't care if I get my feet wet. I've also had good luck with just sock liners, but my feet weren't as warm as in wool socks. Of course, if you keep on the move, your feet will warm up anyway. Just avoid cotton socks.

Comment

being cold is never the problem in WDW summer rains. It's more about keeping your feet from getting torn up and your shoes from turning into stink holes.

The best recommendation I have is simply carry flipflops/sandles with you. They are lightweight and easy to carry in a bag, etc. Swap into them when needed. Also works great for rides where you know you will get SOAKED.
                                  Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
                                  Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Originally posted by sleepyjeff
                                  Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Comment

Originally posted by flynnibus View Post
                                    The best recommendation I have is simply carry flipflops/sandles with you. They are lightweight and easy to carry in a bag, etc. Swap into them when needed. Also works great for rides where you know you will get SOAKED.
                                    I don't know why I never thought of that but its an excellent idea and I'm definitely going to do it!
                                    I Have the Best Job in the World.

Proud to be a Conductor on the Walt Disney World Railroad

Comment

I agree. As someone who LOVES the parks in the rain, here are a few tips:

1. Flip Flops and Sandals (made from rubber)
                                      2. Light clothing that dries easily
                                      3. Water Proof backpack or bag if you are taking them into the parks
                                      4. Cheap ponchos from Target (so that you can throw them away the moment the rain stops).

Personally when it starts raining (and I am prepared), I love running in the warm Florida rain! It is kind of Magical when you are in the Magic Kingdom and it is pouring and you are running from attraction to attraction in Tomorrowland! The People Mover then Carousel of Progress, splashing and laughing, and running.
                                      Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

Comment

Working...
                                      X