X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Clock ticks closer to end of WDW experience

Originally posted by Twist1234 View Post
    Exactly, it's like management never spent a day in WDW.
    That's most likely true. :unsure:

Comment

Originally posted by MarkTwain View Post
      That's most likely true. :unsure:
      That's the confusing part: the brain behind the project worked in the park for a few years.

Comment

That's the confusing part: the brain behind the project worked in the park for a few years.
        Wait, we know who came up with this idea? Who is it!? I know NextGen was in development well before Staggs took over, for what it's worth. Rasulo, perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by MarkTwain View Post
          Wait, we know who came up with this idea? Who is it!? I know NextGen was in development well before Staggs took over, for what it's worth. Rasulo, perhaps?
          Al made an article on it a few months ago. Lemme find it.

Edit: Here,
          http://miceage.micechat.com/allutz/al071211a.htm

The NextGen team is led by Jim McPhee (shown below), a well-liked senior leader who worked his way up from a host at the Tiki Room in the 1970’s to a Senior Vice President overseeing the NextGen skunkworks.
          Go figure, a man who ran the Tiki Room let that fiasco that is Under New Management run to instead focus on Next Gen.
          Last edited by Twist1234; 02-25-2012, 01:18 PM.

Comment

I find it odd how the title article which this post is based on (which again as said previously comes from a wildly unreliable source) actually argues in the opposite direction of the OP specifically stating a variety of reasons why it should have very little to no effect on the theme park experience for those who choose not to use it (despite the sky is falling title). just throwing this information out there. My opinion is in line with jim hill's, no this will not affect theme park experience for anyone if it does happen at all (which i doubt it will to the extent that is being "rumored"). by the way, I'm pretty sure if you don't want to use the system you don't have to so why on earth is this in any way shape or form such a noteworthy event? If you don't agree with the concept, don't participate in it, enough said.

Comment

Originally posted by goofy donald View Post
              I find it odd how the title article which this post is based on (which again as said previously comes from a wildly unreliable source) actually argues in the opposite direction of the OP specifically stating a variety of reasons why it should have very little to no effect on the theme park experience for those who choose not to use it (despite the sky is falling title). just throwing this information out there. My opinion is in line with jim hill's, no this will not affect theme park experience for anyone if it does happen at all (which i doubt it will to the extent that is being "rumored"). by the way, I'm pretty sure if you don't want to use the system you don't have to so why on earth is this in any way shape or form such a noteworthy event? If you don't agree with the concept, don't participate in it, enough said.
              I have to agree if Jim's source is reliable and he's not freaking out about it it might turn out good but so far everything that has been announced for NextGen (minus the gates at Epcot and the free wi-fi at hotels) has been rather... alarming.

Comment

I have to agree if Jim's source is reliable and he's not freaking out about it it might turn out good but so far everything that has been announced for NextGen (minus the gates at Epcot and the free wi-fi at hotels) has been rather... alarming.
                In your opinion maybe, in my opinion I enjoy the additions for the most part, so alarming as a definitive term is not at all what I would use.

Comment

In your opinion maybe, in my opinion I enjoy the additions for the most part, so alarming as a definitive term is not at all what I would use.
                  We'll see the outcome, FP isn't all that bad (although some rides really shouldn't have it).

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual Toad View Post
                    Except now the standby line will become unnecessarily longer for a host of other attractions, even those which up until now have had pleasantly short or non-existant waits. Do Spaceship Earth and the Great Movie Ride really *need* Xpass?
                    "Need" is the wrong term to throw around with almost anything in the theme park industry. Park's don't add services because they're "needed" except in certain emergency situations. They add them because they increase and enhance the value of the product they're trying to sell. That's what Xpass is intended to be - a way to add value to a guest's time by providing a service.

Originally posted by Virtual Toad
                    Xpass is, in reality, nothing more than a de facto price hike disguised as "guest service." A brand new revenue stream to solve a non-existant problem. A cynical money grab that reeks of extortion, from a company whose increasingly clear mission is to deliver less-- and charge more.

DisCo is reaching directly into your wallet on this one, folks. Enjoy what's left of the good old days while they last.
                    Yes, the increased value comes at a cost. That's nothing new. Why would that suddenly start having a destructive effect now after all these decades? If you don't want to pay, don't pay. Simple as that. Some people will want it, and will pay for it.

All theme parks, including WDW, are ultimately a business, first & foremost. If you don't really like thinking about that, you don't have to. However, to understand Xpass & why it's coming, you must think in terms of WDW as a business. Finding new revenue streams is how a business survives. Finding new ways to add value to their product is how a business survives.

We'll see the outcome, FP isn't all that bad (although some rides really shouldn't have it).
                    Well some people have an irrational hatred for FastPass, and I see that being projected onto what Xpass is believed to eventually be, though no official announcement on it has been made by Disney. I'm hearing the same arguments against Xpass that I heard about FP years ago. FP didn't cause the death & destruction of any Disney theme park. FP did not ruin anyone's day/trip. People took a while to figure out what FP was, and adapted how they go about a day in the parks to use it. The people who didn't want to change were the most vocal complainers. I'm seeing the same story beginning to unfold all over again.

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

Comment

Assuming a majority of guests on any given day do NOT purchase Xpass, then adding an Xpass line to attractions such as Spaceship Earth will result in an unnecessarily LONGER wait for the majority of guests experiencing the attraction.

And since there's usually little to NO wait at Spaceship Earth now, skipping to the front of a line that never existed before doesn't really do anything but line the coffers of DisCo.

So in this situation, how will Xpass add value to anyone's enjoyment?

Yes, DisCo is a business, etc, etc. But creating an upcharge "solution" to a non-existant problem, then creating artificially longer waits at attractions like Spaceship Earth (or Nemo, or JII, or GMR) to justify the "value" for guests is not about adding value at all. It actually creates a worse value for the majority of guests who choose not to participate (longer wait times, and if JH's sources are valid they're already admitting to that). So that's not adding value, it's more like extortion.

If they rolled out Xpass in a much more limited form, for rides like Space or Splash Mountain that really *do* have longer lines, I might not care as much. But I said this before, the pressure to ensure maximum ROI on NextGen is huge. And this is the result... cramming in something like Xpass on dozens of attractions where it doesn't add value and just doesn't belong.

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual Toad View Post
                        Assuming a majority of guests on any given day do NOT purchase Xpass, then adding an Xpass line to attractions such as Spaceship Earth will result in an unnecessarily LONGER wait for the majority of guests experiencing the attraction.

And since there's usually little to NO wait at Spaceship Earth now, skipping to the front of a line that never existed before doesn't really do anything but line the coffers of DisCo.

So in this situation, how will Xpass add value to anyone's enjoyment?

Yes, DisCo is a business, etc, etc. But creating an upcharge "solution" to a non-existant problem, then creating artificially longer waits at attractions like Spaceship Earth (or Nemo, or JII, or GMR) to justify the "value" for guests is not about adding value at all. It actually creates a worse value for the majority of guests who choose not to participate (longer wait times, and if JH's sources are valid they're already admitting to that). So that's not adding value, it's more like extortion.

If they rolled out Xpass in a much more limited form, for rides like Space or Splash Mountain that really *do* have longer lines, I might not care as much. But I said this before, the pressure to ensure maximum ROI on NextGen is huge. And this is the result... cramming in something like Xpass on dozens of attractions where it doesn't add value and just doesn't belong.
                        How would it make the line any longer then 5 mins at maximum then? your own argument that it is such a fast loading and constantly moving attraction actually supports the opposing view because all they are doing is inserting the small number of people ahead of the short standby line. In this fashion rides like spaceship earth should be the LEAST affected by the program, regardless of if they need it or not.

Comment

How would it make the line any longer then 5 mins at maximum then? your own argument that it is such a fast loading and constantly moving attraction actually supports the opposing view because all they are doing is inserting the small number of people ahead of the short standby line. In this fashion rides like spaceship earth should be the LEAST affected by the program, regardless of if they need it or not.
                          Look at Buzz Lightyear's Space Rangers, the line has become unnecessarily longer ever since the addition of FP.

Comment

Look at Buzz Lightyear's Space Rangers, the line has become unnecessarily longer ever since the addition of FP.
                            Exactly this.

Comment

I personally don't think that's the issue at all, its purely ride operation. the reason why the line for buzz has slowed down is due to a lot more stoppages on the ride for an omnimover attraction, this one by far has the most stoppages of any ride period. perfect example of this, i road it 4 times in 2007 and only had 2 stops, this year i road it 3 times on three different days and had 10. this doesn't have to do with the addition of fast pass, however even if it did less people would be using the xpass system under this |"totally rumored"| development and therefore it would have less affect just under logic's sake of interpretation. this just isn't a big issue but again were arguing about something rumored by an unreliable source so i just don't see the point until some official statements are released or at least something or someone more proven says something.

Comment

I personally don't think that's the issue at all, its purely ride operation. the reason why the line for buzz has slowed down is due to a lot more stoppages on the ride for an omnimover attraction, this one by far has the most stoppages of any ride period. perfect example of this, i road it 4 times in 2007 and only had 2 stops, this year i road it 3 times on three different days and had 10. this doesn't have to do with the addition of fast pass, however even if it did less people would be using the xpass system under this |"totally rumored"| development and therefore it would have less affect just under logic's sake of interpretation. this just isn't a big issue but again were arguing about something rumored by an unreliable source so i just don't see the point until some official statements are released or at least something or someone more proven says something.
                                If more frequent rides stops are the issue then why does SSE not have lines as long as on Buzz? About Xpass: lots of sources point that it is going to happen (no not just Jim but also Al and others) and evidence in the park is starting to appear.

Comment

If more frequent rides stops are the issue then why does SSE not have lines as long as on Buzz? About Xpass: lots of sources point that it is going to happen (no not just Jim but also Al and others) and evidence in the park is starting to appear.
                                  as i said, because the ride itself is poorly operated, other omnimovers are simply better operated easier to load ect. space ship earth isnt the best comparison for this reason, I would describe buzz lightyear as a much less efficient haunted mansion.

evidence appears when we have assumptions to fuel it.

Comment

as i said, because the ride itself is poorly operated, other omnimovers are simply better operated easier to load ect. space ship earth isnt the best comparison for this reason, I would describe buzz lightyear as a much less efficient haunted mansion.

evidence appears when we have assumptions to fuel it.
                                    How is it poorly operated?

Comment

Taken from Al's article that was linked to earlier in the thread:

The attractions that currently offer Fastpass to any park visitor, and plenty of other attractions that don't have Fastpass currently, would be converted over to XPass so that the only way to access a priority boarding slot at a ride would be to book your vacation with Disney and give your vacation plans to the XPass system in advance.
                                      I had assumed that the Fastpass systems and XPass would be working side by side and you would still be able to get priority entrance if you didn't plan ahead. Apparently not.
                                      Last edited by napeterson18; 02-26-2012, 08:07 AM.

Photo Via jdhilger

Comment

How is it poorly operated?
                                        specifically how i mentioned in my previous post, that many stoppages is never necessary and in turn makes the attraction wait longer.

Comment

specifically how i mentioned in my previous post, that many stoppages is never necessary and in turn makes the attraction wait longer.
                                          That doesn't make sense. Stops are far more common on rides like Haunted Mansion yet the line still "flows". I was surprised at how slow the line was when I rode Buzz.

Comment

Working...
                                          X