• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Twist1234
    replied
    Re: Clock ticks closer to end of WDW experience

Originally posted by jordan__edge View Post
    So we're still waiting on any kind of OFFICIAL word on this, correct?
    Pretty much, we can speculate but for all we know Xpass might turn out to be a replacement for ADRs.

Leave a comment:

• jordan__edge
    replied

So we're still waiting on any kind of OFFICIAL word on this, correct?

Leave a comment:

• toonaspie
    replied

Originally posted by TodAZ1 View Post
    I have a question: will there be any attractions that are "sold out" so to speak on the day/time you want to visit? Like, if I want to go on Space Mountain on July 5th at 2:45 pm, is there a chance that that spot could be "not available?"
    I wouldn't be surprise if this turn out to be the case. The harm in FPs often shows when FPs for rides such as Soarin run out within an hr after the park opens. It's irritating. And I do worry that if Xpass isn't executing properly, there's gonna be a lot of frustration over lack of scheduling availability.

Leave a comment:

• ttintagel
    replied

Originally posted by isny View Post
    You do when you fly Singapore Airlines! =D

Best experience ever! It was like Walt Disney himself ran the company!
    I had the same kind of xperiencee on British Airways.

Leave a comment:

• goofy donald
    replied

I have a question: will there be any attractions that are "sold out" so to speak on the day/time you want to visit? Like, if I want to go on Space Mountain on July 5th at 2:45 pm, is there a chance that that spot could be "not available?"
    No one knows, all that's been heard, and all this is founded in, are obscure details from unnamed sources and unreliable rumor spreaders. just think that I should throw that out there again as people seem to be missing that key point with all these hypothetical situations and guesses flying around.

Leave a comment:

• mikelieman
    replied

That depends. Did you buy the "priority+plus" option, where you can bump lower value guests?

If you didn't and the model is now 'whatever the market will bear', you could try a discreet gratuity, perhaps 20 dollars or so to get the CMs attention, so they'll bump the other guests and let you on when you want to ride..

Leave a comment:

• TodAZ1
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Erik Olson
    replied

Originally posted by flynnibus View Post
    Sorry Erik - you must be mistaken. Lines have only gotten longer now since FP was introduced according to the authoritative anti-FP camp. Your memories of longer lines and miserable waits are obviously thoughts artificially planted in your brain by evil executives who took time off from lining their pockets with gold, to have MiB implant such false memories.

Precisely. You know, the move to Keys to the Kingdom and quickly toward unlimited day passes might have been confounding and upsetting to people who went a la carte in their time too. As a young teenager, who didn't pay my own way into the parks before or during that transition, the move to day passes by Disney was nothing less than a wish-come-true.

I interpreted FP in precisely the same light - it makes visiting the parks more manageable in every way. The parks can still ratchet the number of tickets alloted based on attendance / traffic / ride conditions, but for the guest, it assures that most of your time is spent between attractions or riding one. My kids will not remember lines at WDW as I did at DL - where views of the posteriors of the people in front of me is still a fresh memory some thirty years later. And not the kind of posteriors you want fresh in your memory, for that matter.

I don't believe attendance is lower today than it was in the mid-70s to early 90s, but the FP-enhanced queues certainly pale in comparison to what I remember from my visits before their advent.

Leave a comment:

• isny
    replied

Nobody ENJOYS coach!
    You do when you fly Singapore Airlines! =D

Best experience ever! It was like Walt Disney himself ran the company!

Leave a comment:

• TodAZ1
    replied

I think the logic is people pay for 1st Class tickets and people who can't afford 1st Class enjoy coach.
    Nobody ENJOYS coach!

Leave a comment:

• Virtual Toad
    replied

What I think is we'll have the same exact complaining from people who don't have a 'pass' the same way we do now about fastpass. Locals will complain they show up late in the day and complain the lines are long because of fp/xp and they'll complain they can't get a FP because xpass took some of the FP capacity, etc etc etc.
    Yes, but isn't that a valid complaint? Passholders and DVC members spend a lot of money at the parks too. There's a valid concern that we'll be left with scraps after the Xpass goodies are doled out to everyone else. Sure, you can get an Xpass. Sorry it's for JII.

I know a lot of locals are still stinging from the effects of the Dining Plan. That's one reason people are concerned about Xpass.

I'm happy to hear in Jim Hill's new article that Disney is taking a look at how APers and DVC owners will be included in all this. I really hope it's for real and not just lip service.
    Last edited by Virtual Toad; 02-28-2012, 04:15 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Twist1234
    replied

Originally posted by MickeyMania View Post
    There needs to be restrictions on who can use xPass because it's on a lot of rides that either don't need fastpass, or simply should not have it.

Bringing XP to everyone would essentially just be a giant explosion of FP around the resort, like we saw when FP was originally rolled out and put onto almost everything.
    So far the tourists have no clue what a "Xpass" is. Have you considered Disney might progressively roll this out and adjust it as they go.
    Last edited by Twist1234; 02-28-2012, 12:27 PM.

Leave a comment:

• MickeyMania
    replied

There needs to be restrictions on who can use xPass because it's on a lot of rides that either don't need fastpass, or simply should not have it.

Bringing XP to everyone would essentially just be a giant explosion of FP around the resort, like we saw when FP was originally rolled out and put onto almost everything.

Leave a comment:

• isny
    replied

Based upon the info Jim gave in his update today, if the Xpass system doesn't completely replace the FP system, and if it's a service that's available to ANY WDW/DL guest for free regardless of staying on property or not, my feelings will definitely change on the matter.

Of course, I'd rather things just stay the way they are with no changes, but if they put no restrictions on who can book using Xpass and don't charge for it, I'll accept the change and potentially even consider heading back to WDW at some point in the future if they ever clean up and start maintaining the parks.

Leave a comment:

• flynnibus
    replied

Originally posted by Erik Olson View Post
    The beauty of FP is that you can largely opt-in or opt-out to visit the parks the way you want to. If you want less structure, you will likely hold in a longer queue.

I have very vivid, distinct memories of waiting in hour-and-a-half lines to ride Space Mountain when I visited in the 70s as a child. Back then, almost every attraction had lines like that, actually. Matterhorn would have two queues wrapping around the mountain - sometimes overlapping - on the busiest days. The lines were miserable.
    Sorry Erik - you must be mistaken. Lines have only gotten longer now since FP was introduced according to the authoritative anti-FP camp. Your memories of longer lines and miserable waits are obviously thoughts artificially planted in your brain by evil executives who took time off from lining their pockets with gold, to have MiB implant such false memories.

Leave a comment:

• Erik Olson
    replied

The beauty of FP is that you can largely opt-in or opt-out to visit the parks the way you want to. If you want less structure, you will likely hold in a longer queue.

I have very vivid, distinct memories of waiting in hour-and-a-half lines to ride Space Mountain when I visited in the 70s as a child. Back then, almost every attraction had lines like that, actually. Matterhorn would have two queues wrapping around the mountain - sometimes overlapping - on the busiest days. The lines were miserable.

I much prefer jockeying FP for the whole family as they enjoy the day in a lineless bliss. It's better, even if I end up missing a ride or two as I hoarde tickets against each time window. Having to hit closed time slots to ride is going to shackle a lot of visitors who do it this way.

The premium xPASS product isn't something I'd buy into.

Leave a comment:

• Twist1234
    replied

If the question is 'will this increase wait times across the board by 10mins' I think no. That is a huge amount of people. Remember, wait is caused by people trying to see THAT ONE ATTRACTION - if you spread demand around to other attractions.. you lower the # of people waiting for that one attraction. There is merit to the point about spreading demand through reservations.

What I think is we'll have the same exact complaining from people who don't have a 'pass' the same way we do now about fastpass. Locals will complain they show up late in the day and complain the lines are long because of fp/xp and they'll complain they can't get a FP because xpass took some of the FP capacity, etc etc etc.
    So it will spread demand over the park? Doesn't seem that bad then.

Leave a comment:

• flynnibus
    replied

Originally posted by Twist1234 View Post
    Flynn, you're one of the more informed persons on this forum and Id like to ask you a question; do you think this will bring up wait times of the stand-by lines beyond 10 minutes?
    If the question is 'will this increase wait times across the board by 10mins' I think no. That is a huge amount of people. Remember, wait is caused by people trying to see THAT ONE ATTRACTION - if you spread demand around to other attractions.. you lower the # of people waiting for that one attraction. There is merit to the point about spreading demand through reservations.

Leave a comment:

• thedude76
    replied

So I read the Jim Hill article:

So how exactly is Disney World's new xPASS system supposed to work?

And I don't agree with about the planning aspect. Given that WDW is built on top of a swamp's ecosystem, the weather can be unpredictable and wet and humid. What happens when a family books a ride on Big Thunder Mountain at the same time a thunderstorm hits WDW? What happens when a family books a ride that breaks down? Unless WDW can control the weather and have zero downtime on their rides, some folks will end up being very disappointed when they waste their xPasses.

I had used a Fastpass ticket for the Indiana Jones ride in DL, and it broke down on my half way through the ride. Sure, I received another Fastpass, but stuff like this does happen.

So the big question now is: should I deal with this xPass insanity or just book a ECV, so that I can get to the front of the line? Sure, I'm in shape and can jog the park, but an ECVs privileges might be a bigger bang for the buck

Now, how about the people that take up the equivalent of two seats on some of the rides like Pirates and the Great Movie Ride? Should they have their own separate line too

How many different queues will we end up with?

Leave a comment:

• Twist1234
    replied

I think people are being overly dramatic

Were they creating social and economic classes when they started putting stuff on the web.. when not everyone had access to the web, etc.

Disney is not a commune and not everyone gets the same stuff. Why all of a sudden THIS privledge should be universal and flat.. I have no idea.

ORD84 - I really suggest reading some other views on the information than just what you see here. Read Jim Hill's articles and draw your own conclusions
    Which WDW attractions are becoming part of the xPASS experience?
    So how exactly is Disney World's new xPASS system supposed to work?
    Will Disney Parks & Resorts officially unveil XPass at next month's annual shareholders meeting?

His reference to the change to ADRs is a good one.. people complained before that went into effect that the sky was falling there too and how its going to be so unfair and ruin everyone because they are going to get charged for things not under their control, etc. And just how many posts has anyone seen complaining about getting charged an ADR late fee? Has anyone seen one anywhere?? (Granted, I don't read disboards)

People are wigging out here before they really know the true scope or impact.
    Flynn, you're one of the more informed persons on this forum and Id like to ask you a question; do you think this will bring up wait times of the stand-by lines beyond 10 minutes?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X