X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who is trying to mess with who?

Originally posted by Coheteboy View Post
    That's not true. I've been here a while and you missed the time where Disneyland was being complained about non-stop... and deservedly so. There would be the group that would of course defend everything they were doing, just like there is here. They have their reasons for loving it regardless and that's fine.

The folks that are complaining now have been around the block and have seen it when it was great. It's not great right now.

Remember when Disney built MGM-Studios super fast so it could beat out Universal's arrival? They did that because they were competitive. It wasn't the best plan but they tried.

Remember when Universal announced that in X amount of years, they'd have a Harry Potter land? And then Disney reacted by.... not doing a thing.
    Opinions may vary but its an observation that I've made over various mediums and resources so you cant really come out and say an observation ive made in that sense isn't true. I have also been around the block to a certain degree, this is all opinion based, it may not be at its best right now but its not at its worst and it is on the incline not the decline IMO. You could say the same thing about their Avatar reaction, mgm was a much better idea and Avatar is a terrible one but its something, they tried.

Comment

update:

Today I visited the Magic Kingdom, and I thought it might have been the redemption with my latest Disney experience, but I still have things to talk about.

First of all, we headed to Tomorrowland. I didn't bother with Monsters Inc laugh floor, my group of friends said Stitch Encounter was terrible so we skipped. The state of Tomorrowland is pathetic. There was a lot of litter on the floor. The only "fresh" experience for me was Buzz Lightyear Space Ranger Spin, I surprisingly enjoyed it, but this has been the latest "worthy" addition since 1999 to this area. The ambient was dreadful! Why should Tomorrowland feature a stage show with a middle-aged man making crowds cheer to "I put my hands up in the air sometime saying ayooo" or "who let the dogs out"? What is relevant about this? This gives the place a mall feeling (not to mention the look of the place all together).

Fantasyland was okay, I felt bad for tourist saying "three new castles are being built right now!".... Apart from the Little Mermaid ride most of the areas will be meet and greets and restaurants. Another new addition to the place was Phillarmagic, a new experience for me and fun with the exception of my friend saying "this portion should smell like this right now....", only means some effects were turned off. I am actually very sad that Snow White Scary Adventures is leaving, it is a classic and the Magic Kingdom version is good in my opinion. The Pooh lines went for over 100 minutes (also, how come the Pooh Fast Pass is distributed by Philarmagic at the other side of Fantasyland......? Makes no sense. I also noticed that in the rendering of the New Fantasyland which is displayed the Mad Tea Party is displayed as having the fancy Disneyland Paris glass canopy over it.... why advertise it that way if they are not going to upgrade the 70's metal roof with this, which would be a very welcome addition?

What hurt me the most was the Haunted Mansion, an experience out of which I am actually sending a complaint e-mail to Disney Parks. Let me begin. First of all, the "new queue" is the stupidest way of crowd division ever created. It splits up towards the end to left (cementary tour) and right (regular). The cast member in fron of it said literally this: "Please continue to the right if you don't like lines, if you do go to your left!"..... is this how cast members should regard a new addition? Are they just acknowledging the fact that this only makes an unnecessary congestion and adds a good 15 minutes of wait time to what you have already waited before that point? Crowd management was AWFUL. We filled the Foyer and Stretching Rooms to extreme capacity and when we entered the loading area there was a huge crowd there waiting to board. As we all squeezed together with people desperately trying not to lose their party and slowly moved, I heard people saying this "I feel like cattle", "this is never this crowded". Parents picked their children up and I heard a mom next to me saying "this is not safe". I can't even explain how packed it was, I have a picture I will gladly upload as soon as I transfer all of them to my computer. There were bottles and litter throughout the Doombuggy load and I noted some more throughout the attraction. The improvements were great (infinite staircases, floating Leota, new hitchhiker mirror effect) but I was so upset at what I had experienced so far that I did not enjoy the attraction at all.

Splash mountain was what I expected and I had been reading about already. It had several broken animatronics (geese's eyes were either just shut or wobbly and their mouths had little or no movement, Mr. Bluebird was stiff twice, among others, audio out of synch, off or too low in certain parts).

We rode the Jungle Cruise which had also certain defects. Hippos didn't come up to even 1/3rd of what they should, some natives were stiff which made them look like store mannequins...

I really don't want to go on and on, but after my first visit after 10 years having experienced all of this, I just feel Disney giving me a big slap in the face. This is not right and should not reflect a visit to the Magic Kingdom. My Disneyland Paris experience a year ago was GREAT compared to this.

I am sorry, but the Walt Disney Mall in Orlando, Florida will not be a part of my vacations for a looooooong time.

---------- Post added 02-25-2012 at 11:15 PM ----------

also, merchandise-wise nothing improved. Why does the Emporium carry the same as each store in downtown disney and in the Disney Hollywood Studios? Why should I be able to buy nightmare before christmas in almost every single store including the Pirates of the Caribbean one? I brought around 150 dollars aimed at merchandise, and in the end I bought a 12$ coffee mug for a friend and a 5$ Haunted Mansion card deck. Not because I didn't want to spend my money, but because I didn't see anything worth buying, and believe me I can get indulgent when it comes to things I like.

Comment

Originally posted by goofy donald View Post
        Opinions may vary but its an observation that I've made over various mediums and resources so you cant really come out and say an observation ive made in that sense isn't true. I have also been around the block to a certain degree, this is all opinion based, it may not be at its best right now but its not at its worst and it is on the incline not the decline IMO. You could say the same thing about their Avatar reaction, mgm was a much better idea and Avatar is a terrible one but its something, they tried.

I was simply correcting your statement that because this site is more west-coast, there's fewer complaints about their own Disneyland and more complaints about Walt Disney World. That is simply not true. Not an opinion. Real observation.

As far as WDW not at its worst? I'm sorry but it's at its worst right now. It doesn't mean WDW can't still be fun. It can be. It can be a lot of fun. But it's never been this bad before.

-You can read all about the various attractions that are run down.
        -Majority of the additions in the past decade have been bad or disappointing (Stitch, Monsters, Inc)
        -Wonders of Life Pavillion in Epcot is completely shuttered
        -Merchandise everywhere is all the same
        -DHS still has a big hat blocking the Chinese Theater as its icon
        -Pleasure Island and Adventurer's Club completely closed.
        -Deaths, Accidents, the most in WDW history.
        -WDW is now getting Disneyland's leftover entertainment: Pixar Block Party Bash, Electrical Parade.... since when did this happen??
        -Four recent attractions are clones from Disneyland: Soarin', Toy Story Midway Mania, Star Tours, Little Mermaid (these only happened because they were intended for CA parks)

WDW used to be the leading resort as far as innovative ideas and having plenty of land to hold everything they can imagine. Even with new Fantasyland and Avatarland coming, it's not enough.

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
        http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
        http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Comment

I was simply correcting your statement that because this site is more west-coast, there's fewer complaints about their own Disneyland and more complaints about Walt Disney World. That is simply not true. Not an opinion. Real observation.

As far as WDW not at its worst? I'm sorry but it's at its worst right now. It doesn't mean WDW can't still be fun. It can be. It can be a lot of fun. But it's never been this bad before.
          Well my observation in that context is of the opposing opinion as I obviously must have read some things different from you, well have to agree to disagree on this point. In my opinion, my statement is in need of no correction.

as for WDW being at its worst right now, I would again say no i believe it is on an uptick with the valley coming approximately 5-10 years ago.

-You can read all about the various attractions that are run down.
          Quite frankly the majority of complaints seen about attractions have been extremely nit-picky and to a certain degree unfounded. I understand that small effects missing add up to a bad big picture and there are rides with big picture issues right now, but two or three minor effects being broken on one ride experience does not make the ride broken down. this happens in every park world wide, the only difference when it occurs in Orlando is the down mood quickly turns it into a sky is falling scenario. I agree maintenance can be improved and some attractions should be fixed but its just not that bad point blank. I was there a month ago which is supposed to be arguably the 2nd slowest time of the year, where things should be in their worst condition from the holiday season or in rehab to get ready for the spring rush, there was very little to a minute amount of issues I found and i go over my favorite attractions with a fine tooth comb as a long time visitor. It was certainly not as terrible as suggested online.

-Majority of the additions in the past decade have been bad or disappointing (Stitch, Monsters, Inc)
          Well its 2012 so well go back to 2002. were Mission Space, Philharmagic, turtle talk, Soarin, lights motors action, the crush n gusher at typhoon lagoon, expedition Everest, Toy story midway mania, and american idol all disappointments too? I dont in any way believe that the majority of these attractions listed even were disappointing.

-Wonders of Life Pavillion in Epcot is completely shuttered
          yes and the last time it was open (only half open at the time) was 2006, the full pavilion hasn't been open since early 2005-late 2004 and only seasonally, how does this relate to why the park is the worst now?

-Merchandise everywhere is all the same
          again this is something that's been going on even longer since WoL. it started happening in the millennium, doesnt relate to whats going on and changing in the parks now.

-DHS still has a big hat blocking the Chinese Theater as its icon
          What incentive should they have to do construction for months to remove a giant extremely difficult to demo, permanent object that generates revenue and does the job of drawing people to the center of the park that the Chinese theater just couldn't due to its lack of height? its not a perfect solution but its a solution and its also something that happened in 2000, not yesterday.

-Pleasure Island and Adventurer's Club completely closed.
          Well its not completely closed, about half the island is still open, just not the clubs but i get your point, but this happened 4-5 years ago and there are attempts to resolve it in progress.

-Deaths, Accidents, the most in WDW history.
          Actually if you look at statistics 1990 holds that infamous title across the board. not sure how you even came up with that statistic.

-WDW is now getting Disneyland's leftover entertainment: Pixar Block Party Bash,
          Electrical Parade.... since when did this happen??
          Disneyland has been attempting to get leftover and cloned attractions and entertainment from WDW since the day it opened, they just never had the space or means to do so. examples include hall of presidents, circlevision 360 shows, malestrome, various shows and parades, ect. this is a company issue not a WDW issue as cloning has run rampant through all the parks and needs to be slowed down.

-Four recent attractions are clones from Disneyland: Soarin', Toy Story Midway Mania, Star Tours, Little Mermaid (these only happened because they were intended for CA parks)
          This is incorrect, toy story was planned for both parks from day 1, so was the star tours reboot. Little mermaid was not necessarily a Disneyland clone as the idea of giving it to WDW occurred prior to its construction at DL. Therefore the only true Disneyland clone is Soarin. while were on this subject in both the cases of toy story and little mermaid, (and some could argue Star tours) the superior queues / facades ended up being at WDW so doesn't that give them actually the superior version of the attraction in the end and at the same time show that this is an uptick not a bottoming out point?

Comment

Originally posted by cvonrec View Post
            Crowd management was AWFUL. We filled the Foyer and Stretching Rooms to extreme capacity and when we entered the loading area there was a huge crowd there waiting to board. As we all squeezed together with people desperately trying not to lose their party and slowly moved, I heard people saying this "I feel like cattle", "this is never this crowded". Parents picked their children up and I heard a mom next to me saying "this is not safe". I can't even explain how packed it was, I have a picture I will gladly upload as soon as I transfer all of them to my computer.
            This was a major beef for me, too, at my last visit. All I could think of was the scene with Lucy and Ethel at the chocolate factory. There's no reason for things to be that chaotic in an Omnimover attraction. There were more CM's there than at any other attraction, but they were still all so harried that they ended up being rude to guests as a result. They need to bring smaller groups through the stretch room at a time, and make some kind of organized queue in the load area.

Comment

I think most people here can agree that WDW needs some serious work to bring it back to the level a lot of us experienced as kids. What is bothersome is that WDW prices have increased over the last two years, and we still hear about and see pictures of rides needing work. Really, if I was going to go to WDW this year, I would end up paying almost a third more to see the same level of poor maintenance that I experienced in the past. This is just wrong.

Comment

I just got back from my once-a-year visit to Disneyland/DCA in California. The quality is absolutely stunning. Every attraction seems brand new. Immaculately clean, perfect paint, everything working perfectly; it's truly magical. No video screens or hokey cues, the original hitchhiking ghost effect (inifinitely creepier than the animated garbage at wDW). I'm at the point where I am not looking forward to my next WDW visit, because I know what's waiting for me: Worse-than-ever food, broken effects, dirty, chipped paint, animatronics not working, video game cues... ugh. Think I'll sticks with Disneyland once a year, keep that magic going; and Universal/IOA, and the ever-underrated Bush Gardens. I pray for Disneyland to stay on the path that it's on; it seems that WDW is only going to get worse...

(Though one thing I can't ignore, I found the Little Mermaid ride to be very VERY disappointing... animotronics seemed plastic-y, lacking artistry, the first Ariel just looked weird; the whole concept needed more fleshing out)

Comment

but oh well, I sent two emails yesterday. One to Universal complimenting them on their service and experience (for which I have already received a lovely reply from them) and one to Disney stressing many of my points about the bad show they are putting on. I am just curious to receive a reply.

---------- Post added 02-26-2012 at 08:29 PM ----------

p.s. has anyone else seen this video? i just stumbled upon it

Disco Yeti - Telephone parody - YouTube

Comment

Well my observation in that context is of the opposing opinion as I obviously must have read some things different from you, well have to agree to disagree on this point. In my opinion, my statement is in need of no correction.

as for WDW being at its worst right now, I would again say no i believe it is on an uptick with the valley coming approximately 5-10 years ago.

Quite frankly the majority of complaints seen about attractions have been extremely nit-picky and to a certain degree unfounded. I understand that small effects missing add up to a bad big picture and there are rides with big picture issues right now, but two or three minor effects being broken on one ride experience does not make the ride broken down. this happens in every park world wide, the only difference when it occurs in Orlando is the down mood quickly turns it into a sky is falling scenario. I agree maintenance can be improved and some attractions should be fixed but its just not that bad point blank. I was there a month ago which is supposed to be arguably the 2nd slowest time of the year, where things should be in their worst condition from the holiday season or in rehab to get ready for the spring rush, there was very little to a minute amount of issues I found and i go over my favorite attractions with a fine tooth comb as a long time visitor. It was certainly not as terrible as suggested online.

Well its 2012 so well go back to 2002. were Mission Space, Philharmagic, turtle talk, Soarin, lights motors action, the crush n gusher at typhoon lagoon, expedition Everest, Toy story midway mania, and american idol all disappointments too? I dont in any way believe that the majority of these attractions listed even were disappointing.

yes and the last time it was open (only half open at the time) was 2006, the full pavilion hasn't been open since early 2005-late 2004 and only seasonally, how does this relate to why the park is the worst now?

again this is something that's been going on even longer since WoL. it started happening in the millennium, doesnt relate to whats going on and changing in the parks now.

What incentive should they have to do construction for months to remove a giant extremely difficult to demo, permanent object that generates revenue and does the job of drawing people to the center of the park that the Chinese theater just couldn't due to its lack of height? its not a perfect solution but its a solution and its also something that happened in 2000, not yesterday.

Well its not completely closed, about half the island is still open, just not the clubs but i get your point, but this happened 4-5 years ago and there are attempts to resolve it in progress.

Actually if you look at statistics 1990 holds that infamous title across the board. not sure how you even came up with that statistic.

Disneyland has been attempting to get leftover and cloned attractions and entertainment from WDW since the day it opened, they just never had the space or means to do so. examples include hall of presidents, circlevision 360 shows, malestrome, various shows and parades, ect. this is a company issue not a WDW issue as cloning has run rampant through all the parks and needs to be slowed down.

This is incorrect, toy story was planned for both parks from day 1, so was the star tours reboot. Little mermaid was not necessarily a Disneyland clone as the idea of giving it to WDW occurred prior to its construction at DL. Therefore the only true Disneyland clone is Soarin. while were on this subject in both the cases of toy story and little mermaid, (and some could argue Star tours) the superior queues / facades ended up being at WDW so doesn't that give them actually the superior version of the attraction in the end and at the same time show that this is an uptick not a bottoming out point?

There's too much to disagree on so I'm gonna keep my response short - but the fact that you're defending Epcot for its lack of "Wonders of Life" pavilion astounds me. Could you imagine if Magic Kingdom closed Adventureland to cut down on costs?

Toy Story Midway Mania was not planned for Disney Hollywood Studios from "day 1". Imagineers have told this story countless times. The show-writer (Kevin Rafferty) and others went to Paradise Pier to brainstorm what they can add to that land. They decided on a Midway attraction and ultimately decided that the Toy Story characters would be the most fun. It was always a Disney California Adventure ride from the start. Think about it... does a Midway ride make sense in Disney's Hollywood Studios? They had to create a Pixar Place area just so it would thematically make some sort of sense.

Regarding deaths, I'm not going by one year vs the next. I'm going off of a pattern or a series of deaths that are perhaps more publicized nowadays more than before... but are still not entirely guests' fault. Accidents or deaths in the past were usually the fault of the guest. Nowadays they seem to be maintenance or due to lack of Cast Member training. There's just been a ton more in the past few years under the current management.

what it comes down to it is this. They can open Fantasyland and yah that'll be great, but if current management stays the same, it's not going to change a thing in the long run. Walt Disney World is a world class destination. All they need to do is maintain it like it is one and most all would be forgiven.

Comment

"three new castles are being built right now!"....

Can't wait till all they see in Eric's castle are...CAVES...tee hee.....

unnecessary congestion and adds a good 15 minutes of wait time to what you have already waited before that point? Crowd management was AWFUL. We filled the Foyer and Stretching Rooms to extreme capacity and when we entered the loading area there was a huge crowd there waiting to board. As we all squeezed together with people desperately trying not to lose their party and slowly moved, I heard people saying this "I feel like cattle", "this is never this crowded". Parents picked their children up and I heard a mom next to me saying "this is not safe". I can't even explain how packed it was,

AdvLand/Liberty Sqaure MANAGEMENT! YAY! "We need our 2,500 an Hour Guest count or Phil Holmes will see thy rath of Iger on us" Basically......

There were bottles and litter throughout the Doombuggy load and I noted some more throughout the attraction.

CPs more worried about running the ride and not getting fired than having it look classy. But Disney fires CMs that care....

---------- Post added 02-27-2012 at 09:08 AM ----------

Why does the Emporium carry the same as each store in downtown disney and in the Disney Hollywood Studios?

Long story short, outside consultans brought in by Eisner in mid-90s see themed stores as loss leaders, World of Disney opens to ginat success, World of Disney model made standard "rule of law" for merch on all parks.

Comment

There's too much to disagree on so I'm gonna keep my response short - but the fact that you're defending Epcot for its lack of "Wonders of Life" pavilion astounds me. Could you imagine if Magic Kingdom closed Adventureland to cut down on costs?
                        When did I ever defend the fact they closed WoL? my defense was merely of the fact that this is not the worst of times and that around the time they did close it was, so kind of saying the opposite of what you construed. using this example for why WDW is on an upward rejuvenation is that at least they took out all the theme of the original pavilion and made it a legitimate events center. going half way looked terrible.

Toy Story Midway Mania was not planned for Disney Hollywood Studios from "day 1". Imagineers have told this story countless times. The show-writer (Kevin Rafferty) and others went to Paradise Pier to brainstorm what they can add to that land. They decided on a Midway attraction and ultimately decided that the Toy Story characters would be the most fun. It was always a Disney California Adventure ride from the start. Think about it... does a Midway ride make sense in Disney's Hollywood Studios? They had to create a Pixar Place area just so it would thematically make some sort of sense.
                        day 1 was an expression however for a lonngggggg part of the process (i.e. still in the planning stages while they were still imagining the ride) it was intended for both parks. I mean come on the DHS version opened almost 3 weeks BEFORE the DCA version if it was so heavily intended for the west coast earlier (ex Little mermaid) wouldn't it at least open prior to its supposedly cloned counterpart?

Regarding deaths, I'm not going by one year vs the next. I'm going off of a pattern or a series of deaths that are perhaps more publicized nowadays more than before... but are still not entirely guests' fault. Accidents or deaths in the past were usually the fault of the guest. Nowadays they seem to be maintenance or due to lack of Cast Member training. There's just been a ton more in the past few years under the current management.
                        You bring up a great point I never got to on my previous post. The constant negative publicity by a few currently controls the minds of many, this leads to the sky is falling persona of groups who follow up to the minute updates from a broken figure to a new "rumored by a """"source"""" exclusive", it happens everywhere in every forum and it doesn't make any sense especially as a fan. but i digress. Actually looking at the figgures no now is not the time of the most deaths/ accidents, 1989-1992 would be the period ifyou would prefer an area of a few years. there were several heart attacks, a cm that fell off scaffolding and went down 30 feet, a bunch of incidents including the Indiana Jones stunt show ect the list goes on. Some were Disney's fault some were of the people / cms. As for a ton more issues caused by current management not training cms and not maintaining things i would love to hear some examples as I must not have heard of this "ton" of occurrences in recent years.

what it comes down to it is this. They can open Fantasyland and yah that'll be great, but if current management stays the same, it's not going to change a thing in the long run. Walt Disney World is a world class destination. All they need to do is maintain it like it is one and most all would be forgiven.
                        I agree to a certain degree here, changes are happening, but they are either to slow or in the wrong direction (I'm looking at you Avatar). I believe this management has set out to do better then what was done before however your right, a visionary leader who understands the place must take charge for the parks to reach their FULL potential and not seem halfhearted at some points. Hopefully I see this occur in my lifetime, should have another 60 some odd years to enjoy the parks so lets see what happens.

Comment

day 1 was an expression however for a lonngggggg part of the process (i.e. still in the planning stages while they were still imagining the ride) it was intended for both parks. I mean come on the DHS version opened almost 3 weeks BEFORE the DCA version if it was so heavily intended for the west coast earlier (ex Little mermaid) wouldn't it at least open prior to its supposedly cloned counterpart?
                          Basic answer: It took a lot more planning to prep the location in DCA since they had a rollercoaster to build the show building between. Same goes to Star Tours 2, more time and money was spent redoing the exterior marquee signage and standby queue. (Long answer: it really doesn't matter which opens first, but there was a time when WDW had the best ideas and Disneyland would get the clones).

I agree to a certain degree here, changes are happening, but they are either too slow or in the wrong direction (I'm looking at you Avatar). I believe this management has set out to do better then what was done before however your right, a visionary leader who understands the place must take charge for the parks to reach their FULL potential and not seem halfhearted at some points. Hopefully I see this occur in my lifetime, should have another 60 some odd years to enjoy the parks so lets see what happens.
                          Regarding Avatar, I wonder if that's more a corporate decision because most Imagineers were completely caught off guard by that decision. When it's open however, it's Orlando Management that needs to maintain it. That's what I'm more worried about.

Comment

Basic answer: It took a lot more planning to prep the location in DCA since they had a rollercoaster to build the show building between. Same goes to Star Tours 2, more time and money was spent redoing the exterior marquee signage and standby queue. (Long answer: it really doesn't matter which opens first, but there was a time when WDW had the best ideas and Disneyland would get the clones).

Regarding Avatar, I wonder if that's more a corporate decision because most Imagineers were completely caught off guard by that decision. When it's open however, it's Orlando Management that needs to maintain it. That's what I'm more worried about.
                            To be honest I think we can both agree nowadays, attraction wise, they aren't DL or WDW ideas they're just company ideas. hopefully they go back to the other option. as for star tours, I'm pretty sure the interior of both queues had the same work done but correct me if im wrong.

Referring to Avatar, I hope they don't maintain it so they get such bad reviews they're forced to rip it out and restore the sanctity of AK. I'll make them a deal, you can keep chester and hester's as is for the next decade if you keep avatar out or move it to studios .

Comment

To be honest I think we can both agree nowadays, attraction wise, they aren't DL or WDW ideas they're just company ideas. hopefully they go back to the other option. as for star tours, I'm pretty sure the interior of both queues had the same work done but correct me if im wrong.

Referring to Avatar, I hope they don't maintain it so they get such bad reviews they're forced to rip it out and restore the sanctity of AK. I'll make them a deal, you can keep chester and hester's as is for the next decade if you keep avatar out or move it to studios .

Interior of Star Tours basically had the same upgrades, yes.

sigh... Chester & Hester's. That's something else that needs addressing too.

Comment

Originally posted by ttintagel View Post
                                Yeah, I find myself wishing they'd stop trying to out-Universal Universal and play to their own historic strengths.
                                This. Leave the movies to the movie studio, Disney work on unique family experiences.

Disney has kind of glided through the years, with no legit competition. But since Universal has been going all out, the flaws of Disney definately became more defined.
                                But with Carsland & the DCA makeover being full of heart that I feel Universal has been doing with their attractions lately, makes me less worried at least on the west coast side.

Never been to Disneyworld, but it makes me sad when I visit the only experience added there in years that got me excited is Everest & I will never get to ride it fully functioning. A lot of people have been saying lets just go to Universal Orlando lately, it was never like that.

Comment

The constant negative publicity by a few currently controls the minds of many, this leads to the sky is falling persona of groups who follow up to the minute updates from a broken figure to a new "rumored by a """"source"""" exclusive", it happens everywhere in every forum and it doesn't make any sense especially as a fan.
                                  I think the notion that critics of WDW "control the minds of many" is ridiculous. Kevin Yee, Coheteboy and many others are in fact accurately reporting the state of repairs (or rather, non-repairs) at WDW.

The reality is that the negative publicity about WDW is the result of the way WDW is being managed, not of the customers who report it.
                                  "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                                  it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                                  together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                                  designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                                  - Michael Eisner

Comment

Universal is the leader of the theme park industry right now (in Orlando at least). Attendance numbers aside, Universal has been the one not only upgrading their parkS with new experiences EVERY YEAR for the last FEW years, but doing so by using the latest in technology and innovative theming. When was the last time Disney announced four projects (a parade, watershow, state-of-the-art golf course, AND simulator based on a beloved franchise) for parks on either coast all for ONE YEAR? Come to think of it, when was the last time Disney came out with an innovative attraction at all? Indy, Tower of Terror? And those were all from the '90's...Universal has tapped into never-before-seen technology to create Spider-Man, The Mummy, and the crown jewel of all rides, Forbidden Journey all within the last few years. And Universal also has the ability to uniquely bend traditional rides (launch on the Hulk, dueling aspect of Dragom Challenge, major theming on Jurassic Park) to make them noteworthy and immersive experiences.
                                    If you think about it, Universal has been outdoing Disney for a while now, but Disney has always trumped their brand name...well turns out all Universal needed was the right brand to bring the people in, and now that they've done that, Disney needs to play catch up. All the people experiencing Harry Potter will also happen to see all the other great things Universal has been doing while Disney laid back and substituted branding for actual innovation, and will realize how great Universal is until the Disney brand name means diddly squat. And Universals not even done with Harry Potter yet, and I can assure you phase 2 won't be the last phase by any means.
                                    Disney, it's time to step it up, you're losing your audience and losing them quickly

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
                                      I think the notion that critics of WDW "control the minds of many" is ridiculous. Kevin Yee, Coheteboy and many others are in fact accurately reporting the state of repairs (or rather, non-repairs) at WDW.

The reality is that the negative publicity about WDW is the result of the way WDW is being managed, not of the customers who report it.
                                      no but the fact that almost the ONLY things that are reported are negative give an nonobjective view of the resort as a whole. When only negativity is reported, negativity can be the only accepted viewpoint. My argument is that a true representation of the park's state of affairs should be present so people can make a slightly more accurate opinion on what they think of the park without actually being there.

Comment

My argument is that a true representation of the park's state of affairs should be present so people can make a slightly more accurate opinion on what they think of the park without actually being there.
                                        Meaning no disrespect, but in the interest of accuracy, your argument in this and other WDW forum threads clearly has been that the criticism of WDW is without basis, and that the critics of WDW are seeing problems which are not there.

For example:

...I was there just a short month ago now and it was not at all as you described. little to nothing was noticeably broken, paint was not worn

Your opinion is that so little is wrong with WDW that its critics must be deliberately looking for problems:

...if something was wrong you had to go purposefully looking for it.

You even insist that the maintenance of WDW is essentially equal to that of Disneyland:

...outside of a few instances (splash and yeti not Everest itself) maintenance/cleanliness is fairly equal between both locals.
                                        I respect you having your opinion, but let's be clear on what your opinion is: that WDW is in good shape, that its maintenance is virtually equal to that of Disneyland, and therefore that any opinion which states otherwise is by your definition invalid.
                                        "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                                        it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                                        together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                                        designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                                        - Michael Eisner

Comment

I can tell you I am no the kind of person who goes around trying to spot the littlest of details and complaining about them. As I said, I went to Disneyland Paris a bit over a year ago and I found a great surprise against what I had heard. Apart from some of the litter on the gardens and lakes/moat, attractions were in fairly good shape and things looked nice.

But how can I not complain about WDW after my last visit. This is the picture of the HM loading area:

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00358.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	7340410

I know I should use my imagination at Disney Parks, but I shouldn't use it to pretend I don't feel like in a mall during black friday. I took this picture after around 5 minutes after having unloaded the stretching room. Imagine this with more people unloading right behind us.

The point about Universal's additions is absolutely true. I did not want to visit Epcot because apart from Mission: Space and Soarin' (clone ride), I know there is nothing new in the whole park that I had not seen in 2002. In fact, there might be less. Tres Caballeros River Fiesta Tour is not a new attraction. The Living Seas with Nemo is not a new attraction. Disney should really stop thinking that they can get their way by throwing in a couple of characters into an aging attraction and pretend it is new. The only thing worse than this is when they listed the Water Squirting Totems of Hong Kong Disneyland as an actual attraction. Why should I then feel like paying over 80 dollars to see this? Animal Kingdom fares worse, as the only new addition is Expedition Everest. If I could have, I would have skipped Disney Studios as well and visited Universal on that day. The only "new" attraction at Disney Studios as I said is the Motors, Action show (I acknowledge it is good) and Star Tours which frankly greatly disappointed me. I expected it to have at least a new queue, but nothing. The only new thing about it is the movie and the 3CPO commanding it.

Universal on the other side has the new Rip Ride Rockit coaster (Unique in Orlando and with elements such as choosing your own soundtrack), Revenge of the Mummy (I've heard great things), The Simpsons Ride (revamped from Back to the Future but entirely rethemed), and Shrek 4D (should be fun). The Men in Black laser ride is an actually immersive ride with big sets and animatronics, NOT 3D screens and cut-out painted plywood sets. I think they are even getting a new night time show that should be good.

I think that whenever I visit next, I might stay at a Universal Hotel, visit both parks and maybe jump into the Magic Kingdom if I am with someone who has not seen it.

Comment

Working...
                                          X