Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Snow White attraction to close???

From today's Orlando ParkHopper:
    We have also heard that May 31st will be the last day to ride Snow White's Scary Adventures. Sadly, the ride will be closed to build yet another Princess meet and greet called "Princess Fairy Tale Hall". If only the same little girls who coerce their parents into buying them expensive princess make overs also liked big e-ticket attractions for the whole family instead. . . Oh well, we can always wish upon a star.
    Is this true???
    "In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth we critics must face, is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. But there are times when a critic truly risks something, and that is in the discovery and defense of the new. The world is often unkind to new talent, new creations, the new needs friends." - Anton Ego

Re: Snow White attraction to close???

yep, posted on the Disney official site as well.

Comment

Yes, but I can't say I'm sad about it. That ride freaks me out, but it's always a shame to see classic rides go.
      sigpic

Comment

It is definitely too bad to see classics go. However, as long as they remain at one of the American Parks, and we get new attractions that uphold the class and charm of Disney with a high level of execution, progress is progress.

Whether that remains true in this instance remains to be seen.

Comment

I'm.....I'm beyond words, I think. To replace one attraction for another is one thing.

To replace a CLASSIC like Snow White's Scary Adventures for a freaking Princess Meet and Greet??? I'm not sure I'm going to ever want to go to WDW ever again. This is beyond poor maintenance. This is beyond declining by degrees. This is wanton dumbing down of the guest.

And I actually can't believe there's not more of an uproar about it from the Disney fan community.
          "In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth we critics must face, is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. But there are times when a critic truly risks something, and that is in the discovery and defense of the new. The world is often unkind to new talent, new creations, the new needs friends." - Anton Ego

Comment

ORWEN: Oh, there's been an uproar before now, all right. You just haven't heard about it. I mean, I've been roaring about this for some time, now. Florida had the BEST version of Snow White's scary adventures because it was the only version that came close to telling the story of this fairy tale from beginning to end. All the others focus mostly on the evil queen/hag. I think they could have kept this attraction and still had room left over for the new princess meet and greet. But nobody ever asks me for my opinions--certainly not Disney management.

ORGOCH: Strike up some extra points fer Dizzy managment, then.

(Sounds of slappings and flappings followed by a deadly calm...)

Comment

When I first heard this news I literally sat down and cried. Not only is this my favorite Disney Park ride, but of the 3 versions I have been on around the world, the WDW version is my very favorite. I don't care what they are replacing it with or how great this new dwarf mine train thing is supposed to be, it doesn't change the fact that Snow White's Scary Adventures is no longer there.

I too am shocked that the majority of fans think this is a positive thing. No one appears to be very sad over the closing. I am glad that I am going in April so that I can ride it one last time.
              WDW: 1981, 1986, 2008, 2012
              DLR: 1999, 2009
              DLP: 2010

Like the Beatles? Check out my blog Meet the Beatles for Real
              http://meetthebeatlesforreal.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Starshyne View Post
                When I first heard this news I literally sat down and cried. Not only is this my favorite Disney Park ride, but of the 3 versions I have been on around the world, the WDW version is my very favorite. I don't care what they are replacing it with or how great this new dwarf mine train thing is supposed to be, it doesn't change the fact that Snow White's Scary Adventures is no longer there.

I too am shocked that the majority of fans think this is a positive thing. No one appears to be very sad over the closing. I am glad that I am going in April so that I can ride it one last time.
                No one thinks that replacing an attraction for a meet and greet is a good idea. the reason there's not really a reaction on here Tod is because its old news, we've known this was coming for like a year now, its been mentioned many times. There's debate whether the mine ride will be better because it will sacrifice some show scenes for thrills but we will see I'm optimistic. I personally just wish we would have gotten another dark ride in there.

Comment

ORWEN: What do you mean by saying nobody appears to be very sad about Snow White's dark ride closing, starshyne, duckling? I've been sad about it for MONTHS!!! And I've been very loud about my feelings, too!

ORDDU: I can vouch for that.

ORWEN: So don't be saying you're the only one who hates this ride closure because you're not.

Comment

I knew this would happen when I first heard about the Seven Dwarfs coaster. Dark rides are usually a Fantasyland staple and it's depressing how few are in the Magic Kingdom than there were before.

Comment

Originally posted by toonaspie View Post
                      I knew this would happen when I first heard about the Seven Dwarfs coaster. Dark rides are usually a Fantasyland staple and it's depressing how few are in the Magic Kingdom than there were before.
                      ?? what do you mean? if anything the amount of dark rides in mk have remained constant if not increased in number or scope. not sure what your talking about.

Comment

When the Seven Dwarfs mine coaster was announced, Disney said right then it would close Snow White's Scary Adventures for the princess meet & greet as they felt there's no sense in having two Snow White & the Seven Dwarfs theme attractions in the same park, let alone the same land. And since the original version of the Fantasyland expansion focused heavily on princess meet & greets, they only kept Belle's (since the Be Our Guest restaurant was part of the original plan) and swap the Cinderella & Aurora themed meet & greet areas for the Seven Dwarfs mine coaster and move the princesses into where Snow White's Scary Adventures.

Comment

Originally posted by toonaspie View Post
                          Exactly. Continuing its decades of decline, WDW closes a classic ride that everyone from the very young to the very old can enjoy, replaces it with a brand marketing venue that targets young girls, and builds a rollercoaster.

Welcome to Knott's Berry Farm East.
                          "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                          it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                          together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                          designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                          - Michael Eisner

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
                            Exactly. Continuing its decades of decline, WDW closes a classic ride that everyone from the very young to the very old can enjoy, replaces it with a brand marketing venue that targets young girls, and builds a rollercoaster.

Welcome to Knott's Berry Farm East.
                            Besides the fact that the statement you have backed is incorrect. I agree its bad to replace an attraction with a meet and greet but there hasn't been a rapid, significant, or even present decline in MK dark rides.

Comment

Hmm. I hadn't heard about the meet-n-greet.

Comment

Originally posted by Trevor View Post
                                Hmm. I hadn't heard about the meet-n-greet.
                                Well, it has to go SOMEWHERE... Lord forbid that little girls can't be assaulted by brand marketing at every turn.

Anyway, I will miss SNSA. It had great nostalgia value if nothing else.
                                Please keep your hands, arms, feet, and legs inside the forum at all times.

Comment

I just hope they put in something temporary for pathways and not do too much demo. the more work they do the harder it will be to convert back to a dark ride later. they've already admitted this is only a temporary experience.

Comment

Originally posted by goofy donald View Post
                                    ?? what do you mean? if anything the amount of dark rides in mk have remained constant if not increased in number or scope. not sure what your talking about.
                                    Well, Toad was really two dark rides in one, and 20k had significant dark ride elements. So...

Toad -2
                                    20k -1
                                    Pooh +1
                                    Splash +1
                                    Snow White -1
                                    Mermaid +1

.. which roughly equals net loss of one dark ride. If the new Mine Train ride has significant dark ride elements, which remains to be seen (though I certainly hope so), then it all washes out to a push. 0 gained, 0 lost.

I've said it before, I think WDW is missing a golden opportunity with the new Fantasyland. In that space they should have added 3 or even 4 new dark rides, C tickets along the lines of Toad or Alice from DL, though not necessarily based on those classic franchises but perhaps a mix of older and more recent themes/films. That strategy would have truly bumped up capacity while delivering a more varied mix of new experiences.

I too hope the princess M&G is temporary, but as we've seen time and again, temporary at WDW can last 20 years.

Of course, put a new Toad ride where Snow White is now and I unconditionally agree to cease my endless criticism of WDW forever.

Comment

Regarding the lack of public outcry - that's only because the general public doesn't know. Put a note in each resort room beginning June 1st saying the Magic Kingdom now has one less classic attraction to ride and you'll hear an outcry.

The meet & greet is by no means an "attraction" and never will be.
                                      Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual Toad View Post
                                        Well, Toad was really two dark rides in one, and 20k had significant dark ride elements. So...

Toad -2
                                        20k -1
                                        Pooh +1
                                        Splash +1
                                        Snow White -1
                                        Mermaid +1

.. which roughly equals net loss of one dark ride. If the new Mine Train ride has significant dark ride elements, which remains to be seen (though I certainly hope so), then it all washes out to a push. 0 gained, 0 lost.

I've said it before, I think WDW is missing a golden opportunity with the new Fantasyland. In that space they should have added 3 or even 4 new dark rides, C tickets along the lines of Toad or Alice from DL, though not necessarily based on those classic franchises but perhaps a mix of older and more recent themes/films. That strategy would have truly bumped up capacity while delivering a more varied mix of new experiences.

I too hope the princess M&G is temporary, but as we've seen time and again, temporary at WDW can last 20 years.

Of course, put a new Toad ride where Snow White is now and I unconditionally agree to cease my endless criticism of WDW forever.
                                        haha a new toad ride would be superb. I think that sounds fairly acurate although you cant count toad as minus 2, its still one ride no matter how you look at it, which leaves us at +1 (hopefully +2). I agree they should have considered looking at 1 or 2 more dark ride additions, I would have loved a Pinocchio and maybe Bambi or Robin hood dark rides as they would seemingly fit very well into the theme of the new forest area. The wording from Disney was that they are already working on a full time replacement location for after their temporary area, but what I'm wondering is why move them from town square theater, to SWSA, to their new spot? why not just keep them at the theater and in turn who is going to meet at the theater after the princesses leave along with mickey and Minnie? nobody has been able to answer this for me.

Comment

Working...
                                        X