• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chesirecat
    Banned User
    • Jun 2005

Re: Snow White attraction to close???

Tony Baxter helped add a great special effects scene in the Snow White ride in Disneyland, subtle changes such as when the Evil Queen Grimhilde turns into the old witch. They should have considered adding such updates, as well as audioanimatronic Snow Whites that move, to keep the ride fresh. The feelings were that the Seven Dwarfs coaster would be more than enough in terms of a Snow White fix, given it is part dark ride and part coaster. Though I love the Snow White dark rides, I admit that I am excited about the Seven Dwarfs coaster. Now Disneyland has more than a couple Fantasyland rides not seen in Magic Kingdom: Snow White, Mr. Toad, Alice in Wonderland, Pinocchio, Storybook Land Canal boats, Casey Junior Circus Train, Sleep Beauty walk-through. These are all classic attractions I love experiencing in Disneyland. The only thing that MK's Fantasyland will have over DL for me will be a better Pooh ride and the Seven Dwarfs coaster.

How much would it take to convert the Snow White dark ride to a Beauty and the Beast dark ride? Not as much as building the $200 million dollar Little Mermaid ride in DCA as the track and buildings are already in place. However, there are rumors that if Brave does as well as expected, it could be plopped down as a dark ride somewhere, maybe in the Magic Kingdom.
    Last edited by chesirecat; 02-29-2012, 08:48 AM.

Comment

• TodAZ1
      MiceChatter
      • Mar 2011

If California Adventure has taught us anything, you don't replace something mundane (Disneyland parking lot) with something even more mundane (DCA v.1.0). Replacing ANY attraction in the MK with a character M&G is just beyond belief to me.

"We believed in our idea - a family park where parents and children could have fun- together." - Walt Disney. Seems WDW has forgotten that last word.

---------- Post added 02-29-2012 at 12:16 PM ----------

Originally posted by chesirecat View Post
      How much would it take to convert the Snow White dark ride to a Beauty and the Beast dark ride? Not as much as building the $200 million dollar Little Mermaid ride in DCA as the track and buildings are already in place. However, there are rumors that if Brave does as well as expected, it could be plopped down as a dark ride somewhere, maybe in the Magic Kingdom.
      B&B already has something in MK's FL. They need to use a new character in that spot. Maybe an actual Cinderella attraction in Cinderella's Castle.
      Last edited by TodAZ1; 02-29-2012, 09:14 AM.
      "In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth we critics must face, is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. But there are times when a critic truly risks something, and that is in the discovery and defense of the new. The world is often unkind to new talent, new creations, the new needs friends." - Anton Ego

Comment

• Witches of Morva
        Minion
        • Jan 2005

ORDDU: My sisters and I actually think that Disneyland has the better version of Winnie the Pooh's dark ride. Most of Florida's version has flat plywood cut outs, whereas the one in California at least has actual figures of the characters instead of a flat board painting. The birthday scene at the end is one example of this.

ORWEN: Plus the California version is a bit longer than the Florida version.

ORGOCH: 'Course if'n yer not inta pooh ta begin with ya prob'ly don't give a rat's behind one way er the other!

Comment

• Timekeeper
          The Future is in RED?
          MiceChat Round-Up Crew
          • Sep 2009

It is really a loss that that quite possibly one of the best versions of SWSA is going away, so that we're left with the 'what the ____ happened?!' ending at DL. (I wish they could have at least expanded the finale room with just the kissing scene from DLP, then I would be happy.)

Timekeeper
          sigpicNow the Tower of Sauron has fallen
          Also, this picture and my Avatar was taken with a Nintendo DSi System and Nyko Magnification Lens & Case for DSi.

Comment

• MrTour
            Restless Adventurer
            • Mar 2011

If California Adventure has taught us anything, you don't replace something mundane (Disneyland parking lot) with something even more mundane (DCA v.1.0). Replacing ANY attraction in the MK with a character M&G is just beyond belief to me.
            (Hits "Like" button)

Comment

• Bronco21
              Insomniac
              • May 2011

Originally posted by Virtual Toad View Post
              Well, Toad was really two dark rides in one, and 20k had significant dark ride elements. So...

Toad -2
              20k -1
              Pooh +1
              Splash +1
              Snow White -1
              Mermaid +1

.. which roughly equals net loss of one dark ride. If the new Mine Train ride has significant dark ride elements, which remains to be seen (though I certainly hope so), then it all washes out to a push. 0 gained, 0 lost.

I've said it before, I think WDW is missing a golden opportunity with the new Fantasyland. In that space they should have added 3 or even 4 new dark rides, C tickets along the lines of Toad or Alice from DL, though not necessarily based on those classic franchises but perhaps a mix of older and more recent themes/films. That strategy would have truly bumped up capacity while delivering a more varied mix of new experiences.

I too hope the princess M&G is temporary, but as we've seen time and again, temporary at WDW can last 20 years.

Of course, put a new Toad ride where Snow White is now and I unconditionally agree to cease my endless criticism of WDW forever.
              Honestly Magic Kingdom's fantasyland needs more variety but removing a perfectly good attraction for a M&G is not the way to do it. How about a version of Storybookland that that winds through the fantasyland forests with bridges for guests? How about a tangled boat dark ride? How about Cinderella gets an actuall attraction in her castle? There was so many things they could have done and still kept SWSA. And yet... We get 2 new rides, +one spinner for dumbo, rethemed coaster, a restaurant and a bunch of cheap m&gs. Dumbo is nothing new other than the queue, the coaster is essentially GSS 2.0, and the restaurant will be premium priced most likely. So we get TLM and the mine train, which might or might not be as fun as they make it sound, as the only things that really interest me.
              Check out my Disney inspired creations.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

Comment

• Twist1234
                MiceChatter
                • Oct 2008

Why are people complaining WDW is losing another "classic" dark ride? The ride was gutted a while back and rebuilt. Sure it maintains some of the original elements but it's still not the original.

Comment

• goofy donald
                  MiceChatter
                  • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Bronco21 View Post
                  Honestly Magic Kingdom's fantasyland needs more variety but removing a perfectly good attraction for a M&G is not the way to do it. How about a version of Storybookland that that winds through the fantasyland forests with bridges for guests? How about a tangled boat dark ride? How about Cinderella gets an actuall attraction in her castle? There was so many things they could have done and still kept SWSA. And yet... We get 2 new rides, +one spinner for dumbo, rethemed coaster, a restaurant and a bunch of cheap m&gs. Dumbo is nothing new other than the queue, the coaster is essentially GSS 2.0, and the restaurant will be premium priced most likely. So we get TLM and the mine train, which might or might not be as fun as they make it sound, as the only things that really interest me.
                  It would be impossible for there to be an attraction in Cinderella castle due to the operations hub in the basement and the restaurant on the second floor. the boat ride, although nice, wouldn't have enough space in that area to be a viable option. the expansion is also much more then what you said. there's also the pete's silly circus attraction coming in the second half of the expansion to story book circus, the casey jr water playground, and a new story time with belle that has a variety of cool effects to make the time seem real (think Olivander's in IOA). towards the restaurant issue, there will be a table service and quick service component so the restaurant prices shouldn't affect people too much. finally the new technology on the mine train was enough to get me excited.

Comment

• TodAZ1
                    MiceChatter
                    • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Twist1234 View Post
                    Why are people complaining WDW is losing another "classic" dark ride? The ride was gutted a while back and rebuilt. Sure it maintains some of the original elements but it's still not the original.
                    Personally, for me, it's not that SWSA is going away. I am all for doing away with any attraction, classic or not, as long as something better is replacing it. Take away Pirates for all I care! Just put something phenomenal in its place!

NO attraction should be closed to make way for a M&G.

(P.S. -- just kidding about taking out Pirates.)
                    "In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth we critics must face, is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. But there are times when a critic truly risks something, and that is in the discovery and defense of the new. The world is often unkind to new talent, new creations, the new needs friends." - Anton Ego

Comment

• Twist1234
                      MiceChatter
                      • Oct 2008

Originally posted by TodAZ1 View Post
                      Personally, for me, it's not that SWSA is going away. I am all for doing away with any attraction, classic or not, as long as something better is replacing it. Take away Pirates for all I care! Just put something phenomenal in its place!

NO attraction should be closed to make way for a M&G.

(P.S. -- just kidding about taking out Pirates.)
                      So? They're doing what you're asking! They're just changing locations! They are essentially swapping the M&G location (Mickey's house) with the ride (Snow White).

Comment

• Witches of Morva
                        Minion
                        • Jan 2005

ORDDU: The original Snow White dark ride in Florida focused too much on the evil queen/witch and the Imagineers wanted to upgrade it to tell more of Snow White's story--which made it MUCH better than what it had been before. So it shouldn't come as a surprise that many of us will miss it or complain about it going away.

Comment

• TodAZ1
                          MiceChatter
                          • Mar 2011

Originally posted by Twist1234 View Post
                          So? They're doing what you're asking! They're just changing locations! They are essentially swapping the M&G location (Mickey's house) with the ride (Snow White).
                          Wow, really?? They are replacing an attraction with a meet & greet. In what dimensional plane is that acceptable? Especially with all the new M&Gs they're putting in the new FL! How many is enough??

Comment

• Dapper Dan
                            Metro-Retro Historian
                            • Feb 2010

Wow, really?? They are replacing an attraction with a meet & greet. In what dimensional plane is that acceptable? Especially with all the new M&Gs they're putting in the new FL! How many is enough??
                            It's a heck of a lot cheaper than an attraction. It's acceptable in in the dimensional plane where everything is shaped like a dollar sign. The strange predatory creatures that inhabit this plane have only a single desire, and that is to create the biggest stockpile. Nobody knows why they are stockpiling, and they don't actually ever do anything with these piles of dollar sign shaped objects, but it is VERY important that they get more of them.

Make sense now?
                            It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.
                            sigpic

Comment

• TodAZ1
                              MiceChatter
                              • Mar 2011

Of course that makes sense. It's not acceptable, though.

Comment

• goofy donald
                                MiceChatter
                                • Jan 2011

I think your mistaking what he said. I believe what was being got at was that the snow white ride is being replaced by a better attraction on the grounds of what used to be a meet and greet and in turn a new meet and greet is taking the place of the old attraction so a meet and greet is not actually replacing an attraction their just swapping locations

Comment

• TodAZ1
                                  MiceChatter
                                  • Mar 2011

Justify it in your head however you want, goofy donald. They are replacing an attraction with an M&G.

How many new M&Gs are coming with the new FL, not counting the one they are replacing SWSA with?

Comment

• Twist1234
                                    MiceChatter
                                    • Oct 2008

Originally posted by goofy donald View Post
                                    I think your mistaking what he said. I believe what was being got at was that the snow white ride is being replaced by a better attraction on the grounds of what used to be a meet and greet and in turn a new meet and greet is taking the place of the old attraction so a meet and greet is not actually replacing an attraction their just swapping locations
                                    Yep that's what I meant.

---------- Post added 03-01-2012 at 06:17 PM ----------

Justify it in your head however you want, goofy donald. They are replacing an attraction with an M&G.

How many new M&Gs are coming with the new FL, not counting the one they are replacing SWSA with?
                                    Ugh, will you just listen before you start bashing? Toontown had a M&G, it got destroyed so that two NEW dark rides could be built along with the old Toontown rides getting a retheme. So two new rides are being built yet there's no more room for a new M&G area. What should they do now? Well let's see, they have an aging ride which they could gut and make a M&G area.

So lets sum this up:
                                    You get two NEW dark rides and you lose one ride because the old M&G area was demolished.

Comment

• TodAZ1
                                      MiceChatter
                                      • Mar 2011

You didn't answer my question -- how many new M&Gs are there with the new FL? Not counting the one replacing SWSA?

And, I'm sorry, how am I "bashing" anyone?

Comment

• Twist1234
                                        MiceChatter
                                        • Oct 2008

You didn't answer my question -- how many new M&Gs are there with the new FL? Not counting the one replacing SWSA?

And, I'm sorry, how am I "bashing" anyone?
                                        Sorry I didn't mean that, I just couldn't think of another word. I don't think they'll be any real M&G in new FL (unless you count the restaurant, but that counts as "character dinning").

Comment

• goofy donald
                                          MiceChatter
                                          • Jan 2011

Since when did I justify anything? I just explained what you misread, and what he said was correct, in this instance they did not add a meet and greet or an attraction, they just created a new version of an attraction in a new location and are moving an old meet and greet to a new location. Yes the building that held the attraction is now going to hold a meet and greet but nothings being replaced persay. Now I personally would have created a new building for the M/G and put a new attraction in the building (many people would agree with this) but at the same time that would be adding an attraction and keeping the level of meet and greets the same. Just correcting your error, it was not a justification.

On your second point, there will actually be no new meet and greets as part of the expansion, at least none are mentioned at all so far. the only other meet and greet experience besides the princess fairy tale hall will be the story time with belle but that existed prior to the expansions construction and was closed to be moved to the new area.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                          Working...
                                          X