Announcement

Collapse

Reminder

It is against MiceChat's rules to promote any violations of Disney's rules. Members who choose to brag about breaking Disney's rules, or who encourage others to break Disney rules, will be immediately banned. There will be no exceptions.
See more
See less

Proposed SSE finale plans?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Proposed SSE finale plans?

Hello there,
    earlier I was looking at articles that were published when had just SSE reopened. A few of them talked about the triangles serving a purpose in a "future finale experience" obviously since those triangles don't do anything it was probably sc or shelved, however I was wondering if anyone knew anything more on this subject. Any information on this would be appreciated.

Re: Proposed SSE finale plans?

I feel like once attractions are altered and up and running, there's little chance of them getting revised or improved. Still, I'm very hopeful to see more scenes in the descent.
    Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

Comment

OH THE DESCENT! GAH! lol

This is such a touchy subject. Oh the best laid plans of mice and imagineers... lol

In the end the video screens is all it is... sooo yeah... no need reopening wounds that have just barely healed! lol
      Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

Comment

Originally posted by KingEric View Post
        OH THE DESCENT! GAH! lol This is such a touchy subject. Oh the best laid plans of mice and imagineers... lol In the end the video screens is all it is... sooo yeah... no need reopening wounds that have just barely healed! lol
        Well I don't mean to reopen wounds but I did see a picture of lasers being projected on the useless things (I'm guessing from the lasers that were installed in the vehicles). The image was quit blurry but it did look like it was a testing image.
        Last edited by Twist1234; 03-05-2012, 11:24 AM.

Comment

I can't link to it, but there is a site on the internet, where this discussion literally went on for a hundred pages.
          Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

Comment

Originally posted by KingEric View Post
            I can't link to it, but there is a site on the internet, where this discussion literally went on for a hundred pages.
            Really? Wow... Did anything interesting leak out from it?

Comment

From what I remember reading, the triangles were supposed to illuminate as you passed them with the images of faces that had been photographed on your way up. Then it would give the impression of "the future is you," or that the faces were being transmitted to your video screen. Or something. I never really got it, or understood why people got worked up about what seemed to me a pretty minor change to the attraction. For what it's worth, there were also pretty heavy rumors for a while that the classic Epcot song, Tomorrow's Child, would be reinstated to the descent.

To me, it's a moot point. Regardless of what music or triangle effects are introduced to the attraction, the focus of the descent will always be on the touchscreens in front of you -- and your opinion of the descent will always be most heavily impacted by how you feel about that. I, personally, have no problem with it, and enjoy seeing what might be the most the average guest has been engaged into the spirit of Spaceship Earth in the attraction's history.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkTwain View Post
                From what I remember reading, the triangles were supposed to illuminate as you passed them with the images of faces that had been photographed on your way up. Then it would give the impression of "the future is you," or that the faces were being transmitted to your video screen. Or something. I never really got it, or understood why people got worked up about what seemed to me a pretty minor change to the attraction. For what it's worth, there were also pretty heavy rumors for a while that the classic Epcot song, Tomorrow's Child, would be reinstated to the descent.

To me, it's a moot point. Regardless of what music or triangle effects are introduced to the attraction, the focus of the descent will always be on the touchscreens in front of you -- and your opinion of the descent will always be most heavily impacted by how you feel about that. I, personally, have no problem with it, and enjoy seeing what might be the most the average guest has been engaged into the spirit of Spaceship Earth in the attraction's history.
                Thank you very much, this pretty much confirms what I thought. Seems like it would have been a nice addition. Did they ever give a reason why it got canned? Oh well another project in the shelves I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by Twist1234 View Post
                  Thank you very much, this pretty much confirms what I thought. Seems like it would have been a nice addition. Did they ever give a reason why it got canned? Oh well another project in the shelves I guess.
                  Budget, budget, budget. I think I remember reading that Disney tried to get more money from Siemens to finish the job, but that Siemens didn't want to do it.

Comment

Budget, budget, budget. I think I remember reading that Disney tried to get more money from Siemens to finish the job, but that Siemens didn't want to do it.
                    Well damn. At least we can't blame TDO here.

Comment

Ok wait - weren't there triangles with projections on them in one of the original versions of the ride?
                      Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

Comment

Interesting. The giant globe in the post-show, where riders' pictures are matched to their hometowns, seems like it accomplishes the same thing.

I guess adding anything to the descent at this point would just detract from the touchscreens.

Now if they could introduce some *really* informative content as part of the "your future" cartoons, that would be really cool. Currently, one of the choices features an iPad-like device and another a "pedal powered" vehicle (bicycle!).

Don't get me wrong, the cartoons are fun and enjoyable. I just think they could invest a little and make it resonate more, maybe with vital real-world topics, interviews and footage of experts and scientists at work on the *real* future, custom-tailored based on the riders' answers.

Maybe it's because the first half of the ride is still so solemn that the jetsons-cartoony-fluffy thing at the end misses the mark a little.

Comment

Originally posted by SpectroMan View Post
                          Ok wait - weren't there triangles with projections on them in one of the original versions of the ride?
                          Nope. Those were ripped out in 1994. The original version also didn't have them the "Tomorrow Child" version of the decent was installed in 1986 they were much bigger.
                          Last edited by Twist1234; 03-06-2012, 11:19 AM.

Comment

It'd be nice to have something to watch when the touch screens aren't working, which in my own experience is about half the time.

Comment

The Judi Dench versions lacks the feeling of epicness and emotion that the old Jeremy Irons version did. I think alot of this derives from the soundtrack, the tone in narration and of course the ending. The new version just ups the corny factor.

Comment

Originally posted by toonaspie View Post
                                The Judi Dench versions lacks the feeling of epicness and emotion that the old Jeremy Irons version did. I think alot of this derives from the soundtrack, the tone in narration and of course the ending. The new version just ups the corny factor.
                                I have to agree the old score was mode like some sort of epic journey through time Jeremy Iron's narration only augmented this. Still the new version is slighty more coherent in a way (scenes actually relate one another in a better way then in past version) and SEE is still one of my favorite rides, I just wish the finale wasn't jsut a dark hallway with props painted black and turned off laser canons.

Comment

I don't blame Judi Dench - there's not much any actor can do with lines like, "Remember how easy it was to learn your ABC's?"

Comment

Working...
                                  X