This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News Bistro de Paris ruined?

Now infected w/ DDP virus AND a children's menu! Are burgers, fried chicken, and guests in t-shirts and flip flops next??

Re: Bistro de Paris ruined?

Originally posted by JCSkipr79 View Post
    Now infected w/ DDP virus AND a children's menu! Are burgers, fried chicken, and guests in t-shirts and flip flops next??
    Bistro de Paris ALWAYS had a children's menu, this is actually a far better and more authentic children's menu then the one that existed before lol. Second the dress code for bistro de paris was essentially non existent anyways, they let people go all the time because it is in a theme park. third those new menu options on the regular menu look great, the menu was getting a little stale there recently I'm glad their upgrading it. also as a side note its a good thing their getting ddp, I'm glad, might as well go the whole way and have all your restaurants under the same program then do it half way.

So thank you JCSkipr 79 for posting this great UPGRADE at WDW haha. You have made me really excited to go eat at bistro de Paris now

Comment

In a WDW dominated by the DDP and the resulting loss of quality, variety, and accessibilitiy at most restaurants on property, I can't get too worked up over this.

An exclusive, top tier, formal dining experience that doesn't participate in the DDP doesn't have much of a chance at McEpcot anymore. The DDP has changed the quality and the clientele, for better or worse.

Akershus was the first real casualty of Disney's new dining strategy. We don't even bother anymore. If you're not on the DDP, prices are way too high for the mediocrity they're dishing out.

So, meh. Another restaurant lost to the DDP. Goofy Donald's right. Most of today's WDW guests will gladly welcome the change, and if it makes people happy... great.

I can still lament what's been lost mind you, but the WDW that used to be isn't coming back any time soon.

Comment

Originally posted by goofy donald View Post
        Bistro de Paris ALWAYS had a children's menu, this is actually a far better and more authentic children's menu then the one that existed before lol.
        Disney's own website says 'There is no children's menu at Bistro de Paris restaurant.'
        Bistro de Paris | Walt Disney World Resort

And it's not listed on any of the planning sites. So maybe while they were accommodating to guests before - there was no set menu it seems.

And there doesn't seem to be any upside to this being in DDP - this only serves to add pressure on costs of the menu and we've seen what that does to other places :/

Comment

Originally posted by Virtual Toad View Post
          In a WDW dominated by the DDP and the resulting loss of quality, variety, and accessibilitiy at most restaurants on property, I can't get too worked up over this.

An exclusive, top tier, formal dining experience that doesn't participate in the DDP doesn't have much of a chance at McEpcot anymore. The DDP has changed the quality and the clientele, for better or worse.

Akershus was the first real casualty of Disney's new dining strategy. We don't even bother anymore. If you're not on the DDP, prices are way too high for the mediocrity they're dishing out.

So, meh. Another restaurant lost to the DDP. Goofy Donald's right. Most of today's WDW guests will gladly welcome the change, and if it makes people happy... great.

I can still lament what's been lost mind you, but the WDW that used to be isn't coming back any time soon.
          that's the thing though, your totally correct, usually when we see a restaurant head to the ddp dark side if you will, we see no upgrades and a general overall loss of quality. a perfect example was the Akershus restaurant although primarily it wasn't the dining plan that did it in but the princess character dining. its a real shame because it was a great fairly authentic restaurant before and now its just very bland and common for the regular family folk that are dining there. with Bistro were seeing the opposite occur. There are upgrades being made across the board after reading the article, so as long as quality continues to stay the same which I hope it will, then this will be a great upgraded experience. this is why I believe WDW is slowly coming back right now, ddp experiences across the board (particularly in world showcase and resort locations) are improving quite a bit from what they were shortly after the programs inauguration. this says nothing but good things to me, I honestly don't get the negative in this picture.

---------- Post added 03-09-2012 at 11:34 AM ----------

Originally posted by flynnibus View Post
          Disney's own website says 'There is no children's menu at Bistro de Paris restaurant.'
          Bistro de Paris | Walt Disney World Resort

And it's not listed on any of the planning sites. So maybe while they were accommodating to guests before - there was no set menu it seems.

And there doesn't seem to be any upside to this being in DDP - this only serves to add pressure on costs of the menu and we've seen what that does to other places :/
          well from my own experience they had offered children's items to my young cousins that I have taken to the parks on two separate occasions. perhaps they were not on a "official" menu but they certainly were present options made known when our server arrived. One option was macaroni and cheese and i believe the other two were a small filet and chicken nuggets. If they were offering up burgers and fried chicken (as the OP suggested) then I wouldn't be happy about it, however its a fairly authentic menu here so why not cater to that clientele, I mean it is a Disney world theme park restaurant after all.

The upside to this being Dining Plan is purely from a sense that, if Disney is going to promote the program's use, then you either take it 100% of the way or you don't do it at all. At least when you pay your money you don't want your options to be limited to a few select locations. the prices are always going to be high, that's an unavoidable variable in the equation especially at one of the better restaurants in the best park for dining options. I just want to know that if I'm paying that money I'm still getting a great experience and so far Disney seems to be going in the direction to make that happen so therefore I'm happy.

Comment

And so the onslaught of micechat overreactions begins.

Comment

The upside to this being Dining Plan is purely from a sense that, if Disney is going to promote the program's use, then you either take it 100% of the way or you don't do it at all. At least when you pay your money you don't want your options to be limited to a few select locations. the prices are always going to be high, that's an unavoidable variable in the equation especially at one of the better restaurants in the best park for dining options. I just want to know that if I'm paying that money I'm still getting a great experience and so far Disney seems to be going in the direction to make that happen so therefore I'm happy.
              Could not disagree more

Just because there exists a discount program - that does not mean it must exist EVERYWHERE or that participants are jilted just because it isn't 100% coverage. There are plenty of examples of this.

And the 'the prices are always going to be high...' comment is simply turning a blind eye to artificial factors PUSHING prices up that otherwise wouldn't be and the downward pressure it creates on menus.

What we really need an insider (or even 3rd party vendor) that can explain the compensation model for DDP receipts. But even without that.. you take into account each silo in Disney needs to get paid, so eventually there is going to be some pressure to restrict where the money comes from. That trickles down to the food service units who each need to be profitable themselves.

There is nothing good to come of homogenizing pricing. All that does is over time homogenize offerings.... forcing cheap to be expensive.. and kill off the ability to differentiate with higher prices/quality.

Comment

And the 'the prices are always going to be high...' comment is simply turning a blind eye to artificial factors PUSHING prices up that otherwise wouldn't be and the downward pressure it creates on menus.

Exactly. Pushing the prices higher means Disney and guests on DPP can go, "wow look at those sky high, unaffordable prices! Aren't you glad your getting this meal for FREE by paying for it 6mos in advance?". The high prices is a psychological trick, plain and simple.

---------- Post added 03-09-2012 at 12:41 PM ----------

This is why DLR has been comming up w/ more creative menus and speciality items. Because they have NO DDP.

Comment

Could not disagree more

Just because there exists a discount program - that does not mean it must exist EVERYWHERE or that participants are jilted just because it isn't 100% coverage. There are plenty of examples of this.

What we really need an insider (or even 3rd party vendor) that can explain the compensation model for DDP receipts. But even without that.. you take into account each silo in Disney needs to get paid, so eventually there is going to be some pressure to restrict where the money comes from. That trickles down to the food service units who each need to be profitable themselves.

There is nothing good to come of homogenizing pricing. All that does is over time homogenize offerings.... forcing cheap to be expensive.. and kill off the ability to differentiate with higher prices/quality.
                  I never said that it must exist everywhere, its just my preference as a consumer. Again if I am paying x amount of dollars I don't care per-say what said price is as long as its obviously within reason and I'm getting an experience I think generally fits the value. I don't want to have a limited amount of locations or overtly negative experiences and I give kudos to Disney for, so far, attempting to create a better scenario for guests who wish to use this option.

In regard to the menus, I do share your concern on that front. there was a time where certainly quality was being sacrificed due to economical inconsistencies and i think your right that had a lot ot do with the dining plan. now however i see evidence in the opposite direction with new dining offerings of high quality in japan and italy and new ddp members such as bistro getting menu additions as opposed to reductions. That's why I see a change and I remain cautiously optimistic towards my dining futures, regardless of the QS homogenization we have seen in recent years, particularly in the magic kingdom. Perhaps this will be a turning point to correct the dining plans original problems. Even if that has the prospects of adding a dollar or two here or there to my already expensive vacation, I would be all for it because the experience I received became better.

Now as for pricing, regardless of any artificial factor, third party restaurant vs Disney operator, homogenization scenario, ect. it really does not matter anymore simply because the last 40 years Disney has used their restaurants parks ect. to do constant market research determining the prices people are willing to pay for the product. if you were able to remove all extraneous factors that are claimed to be pushing prices up (disregarding the fact that ddp makes the company a ton of money) the prices would stay exactly the same or decrease very slightly and Disney / third party would just pocket the excess profits. Their a corporation with a captive audience, what motivation would they ever have to bring prices down if they got rid of dining plan? So I guess you could say now that the damage is done in that regard, there's no point in doing anything now but accepting it unless you plan to picket disney to lower prices, at which point I would help you make signs and join in .

Comment

... with Bistro were seeing the opposite occur. There are upgrades being made across the board after reading the article, so as long as quality continues to stay the same which I hope it will, then this will be a great upgraded experience.
                    I wouldn't make a judgement until actually eating there after the changes... What sounds good on paper isn't necessarily going to taste good... IMO the quality of food throughout WDW has gone from "absolutely delicious" to "I'm scarfing it down because I'm hungry and I'm paying more", at the sit-downs and at the take-outs... Sorry to be so negative but any announced change in menu is probably bad news. That's just been par for the course over the last ten years...

((feels a serious rant coming on))

The food thing is by far my biggest pet peeve regarding the "declining by degrees" thing. Ten to fifteen years ago, my california brother would complain about the crappy food at Disneyland, and I would brag about how good we had it at WDW; how DINING was half the fun. Now it's just the opposite... Anyone been to that little bakery by the water in DCA? Pure heaven. Reminded me of the delicious and varied offerings we used to have all over WDW (Vegetable pizza, figaro fries, REAL peanutbutter and jelly sandwiches, bread-bowl soup, just to name a few)

OK rant over. Sorry!

Comment

I never said that it must exist everywhere, its just my preference as a consumer. Again if I am paying x amount of dollars I don't care per-say what said price is as long as its obviously within reason and I'm getting an experience I think generally fits the value
                      You're skipping over the important middle bits. What makes you buy into DDP? The fact it's a better deal than paying for the meal directly. But what you base the evaluation on is the menu prices and paying out of pocket. So if menu prices go up faster than DDP prices.. DDP becomes more of a 'value' and people like yourself say 'The menu prices no longer matter.. I'm not paying them!'. Yet you forget those very menu prices are what helped you justify entering the DDP to start with.

...and new ddp members such as bistro getting menu additions as opposed to reductions

You sure of that? Based on what? The article simply says 'new menu' and doesn't compare new and old menus. Until someone posts the full new menu.. how can you say?

Perhaps this will be a turning point to correct the dining plans original problems. Even if that has the prospects of adding a dollar or two here or there to my already expensive vacation, I would be all for it because the experience I received became better.
                      The same problems that fed these behaviors are still there. Disney continues to push for DDP to being almost universal. Such a push isn't because of charity.. they do it because it is to their advantage. The advantage isn't just hotel stays.. the food units need to come out ahead as well. So someone has to pay foods.. and if everyone is 'eating an experience' beyond what they paid... the experience will have to be brought down to make sure the food unit remains profitable.

You can't get something for nothing... the original dining plans worked by making people spend more than they normally would. But if people aren't paying for DDP, the amount of money going into the pot overall is smaller and the difference has to come from somewhere.

Now as for pricing, regardless of any artificial factor, third party restaurant vs Disney operator, homogenization scenario, ect. it really does not matter anymore simply because the last 40 years Disney has used their restaurants parks ect. to do constant market research determining the prices people are willing to pay for the product. if you were able to remove all extraneous factors that are claimed to be pushing prices up (disregarding the fact that ddp makes the company a ton of money) the prices would stay exactly the same or decrease very slightly and Disney / third party would just pocket the excess profits. Their a corporation with a captive audience, what motivation would they ever have to bring prices down if they got rid of dining plan?
                      This is filled with so many logical errors.. with assumed conclusions using to support the conclusion itself, etc. Yes Disney does research... yes Disney would rather keep profit than give it away if it doesn't have to.. but that doesn't put your conclusion on sound ground. You are assuming prices are being marked up because the belief that's what competition will allow... but ignoring a key marketing concept of 'discounts always hold more weight than list price'. It's why people continue to market sales as '50-70% off!' even though customers know the list price itself is inflated to make that deal. But it still works and people still do it. Because they know a 'deal' carries more psychological weight then a list price someone isn't paying.

Prices are high not just because of market tolerance - but because Disney knows the prices won't scare people off if they aren't paying them. Then, you use the prices to make your other product look even that much better a bargin. Then, you use that 'good deal DDP' plan as a dollar value to lure people into your OTHER product (resorts) at full list price by saying 'we're giving you this greatly valued DDP plan!!'.

The whole system relies on DDP being made into a 'good value'. The easiest way to do that is simply float the list prices to make the BUNDLE price look good.

Disney makes it work because of their integration. DDP isn't an outside organization that needs to make themselves competitive with menu prices they don't control and still be profitable over the sum of guests. Disney instead can manipulate prices at will to make the deals look like whatever they want.. and as long as they get the revenue in the right buckets they want. The parent organization wins. But to make it work, the individual organizations now how to work within standardized revenue streams. This is what leads to the lowering of standards and homogenization.

Disney can't sell the program at $35 and have everyone eat a $60 meal and stay ahead. They need to keep the percentage of people eating that $60 meal low enough so over the average.. the money going into that food unit can pay for those meals. But when you keep pumping more and more people into the system or make it easier for them to eat that $60 meal... you can't stay ahead. So what do you do? You lower costs, trim perks, and raise prices outside the plan.

This is why we see new levels of credits (signature dining)
                      This is why we see a reduction of perks included in the DDP (tip, etc)
                      This is why we see a reduction of offerings/quality (menu changes, limited menus)
                      This is why we see menu offerings go down, but prices go up
                      This is why we see fluff in the system (like offering a piece of candy as a 'snack meal' ha!)

The parent company doesn't care as long as the revenue and profit margins are hit. And until the system gets to the point where people revolt... they will just keep massaging the variables to keep hitting those revenue and profit targets.

Comment

Last time I was at Disneyland (January, 2011), food was god awful. But the funny thing was the 2 food items we enjoyed the most (chimichanga and corn dogs) were the most convenient and cheapest.
                        "In many ways, the work of a critic is easy. We risk very little yet enjoy a position over those who offer up their work and their selves to our judgment. We thrive on negative criticism, which is fun to write and to read. But the bitter truth we critics must face, is that in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so. But there are times when a critic truly risks something, and that is in the discovery and defense of the new. The world is often unkind to new talent, new creations, the new needs friends." - Anton Ego

Comment

Originally posted by lily23 View Post
                          I wouldn't make a judgement until actually eating there after the changes... What sounds good on paper isn't necessarily going to taste good... IMO the quality of food throughout WDW has gone from "absolutely delicious" to "I'm scarfing it down because I'm hungry and I'm paying more", at the sit-downs and at the take-outs... Sorry to be so negative but any announced change in menu is probably bad news. That's just been par for the course over the last ten years...

((feels a serious rant coming on))

The food thing is by far my biggest pet peeve regarding the "declining by degrees" thing. Ten to fifteen years ago, my california brother would complain about the crappy food at Disneyland, and I would brag about how good we had it at WDW; how DINING was half the fun. Now it's just the opposite... Anyone been to that little bakery by the water in DCA? Pure heaven. Reminded me of the delicious and varied offerings we used to have all over WDW (Vegetable pizza, figaro fries, REAL peanutbutter and jelly sandwiches, bread-bowl soup, just to name a few)

OK rant over. Sorry!
                          No I totally get your point there too your right, there has been a decline in wdw food, its unarguable. however the examples i offered up prior to this like via napoli and the new japanese quick service are certainly signs of change. Just my own personal opinion, I did see a noticeable change in the food from my last visits in 2009 and twice in 2010 and my visit at the end of January. Hopefully I am right and this is an upturn, all the signs point to it currently, I remain cautiously optimistic.

---------- Post added 03-09-2012 at 03:01 PM ----------

You're skipping over the important middle bits. What makes you buy into DDP? The fact it's a better deal than paying for the meal directly. But what you base the evaluation on is the menu prices and paying out of pocket. So if menu prices go up faster than DDP prices.. DDP becomes more of a 'value' and people like yourself say 'The menu prices no longer matter.. I'm not paying them!'. Yet you forget those very menu prices are what helped you justify entering the DDP to start with.

...and new ddp members such as bistro getting menu additions as opposed to reductions

You sure of that? Based on what? The article simply says 'new menu' and doesn't compare new and old menus. Until someone posts the full new menu.. how can you say?
                          Oh I know for a fact ddp isn't really a good deal, regardless of how Disney markets it, if you go into that looking at it from a cost savings perspective your just not going to have a good time. The majority of the time, it costs a little extra to use the plan and i accept that. the reason I use the plan at all is I like my vacation to be as paid for as possible up front and not have to worry (too much) about cash later on. this always ensures I'm within my means and not thinking about cash at all unless there's a souvenir I'm interested in. call me crazy but I just enjoy that feeling. but getting back to what you were saying, your correct, that's how the system works and my argument still remains that now that people have shown they are willing to pay those prices, whether the dining plan existed or not tomorrow, those prices would stay the same until people stopped paying. As for the bistro menu, my statement was referring to the additions at the end of the article that will be a part of the new menu. an addition in that sense was meant to represent either add to the menu or a new menu with new items (that seem to be of high quality from the review of the article) as opposed to bringing out the same old tired menu and taking off some items that have increased prep time, costs more to make, unique ingredients ect. You could easily compare some of the items from the end of the article to those present on the current menu and get the jist of where Disney is striving for with level of quality based on the uniqueness and authenticity of the dishes. But you are correct that we wont know for sure until we see this full menu in action.

The same problems that fed these behaviors are still there. Disney continues to push for DDP to being almost universal. Such a push isn't because of charity.. they do it because it is to their advantage. The advantage isn't just hotel stays.. the food units need to come out ahead as well. So someone has to pay foods.. and if everyone is 'eating an experience' beyond what they paid... the experience will have to be brought down to make sure the food unit remains profitable.

You can't get something for nothing... the original dining plans worked by making people spend more than they normally would. But if people aren't paying for DDP, the amount of money going into the pot overall is smaller and the difference has to come from somewhere.
                          Again I'm not saying this is from a "beating the system" perspective, you will never win coming from that angle, the reasons for having the plan are purely convenience based, if you ended up getting close to eating as much as you spent and have a great time on your vacation then its totally worth it. What makes the plan not worth it is restrictions, if your going to make a plan such as this and do it to 80% of the on property restaurants why not add in the other 20% again if im going to pay a premium, knowing I'm paying a little extra for this service I want to go wherever I want to eat.

This is filled with so many logical errors.. with assumed conclusions using to support the conclusion itself, etc. Yes Disney does research... yes Disney would rather keep profit than give it away if it doesn't have to.. but that doesn't put your conclusion on sound ground. You are assuming prices are being marked up because the belief that's what competition will allow... but ignoring a key marketing concept of 'discounts always hold more weight than list price'. It's why people continue to market sales as '50-70% off!' even though customers know the list price itself is inflated to make that deal. But it still works and people still do it. Because they know a 'deal' carries more psychological weight then a list price someone isn't paying.
                          Its not worth addressing again because you know my stance on ddp already. yes its a logical fallacy that people are saving money here and Disney marketing is weaving a wonderful web to trap consumers into. I'm not assuming that prices are being marked up because the competition will allow it, their marking up prices because of the dining plan which i mentioned previously, you and I both agree upon that, but their also marking up the prices because the consumers will still come back and pay daily and without complaint (at least to the company, spouses are a whole different ball game lol). The company is laughing right now because they're in an economical sweet spot so to speak where they have a price that gets a ridiculous amount of people clamoring to eat at the majority of their restaurants serving food at almost always overblown prices.

The rest of the argument you presented is kind of irrelevant at this point because we both agree on a lot of what you said. no one here is saying anything about ddp being a great deal and I'm certainly not here to promote it from an economical perspective. the fact is the damage is done and were not going back anytime soon.

Comment

Wow, wasn't expecting this one. What's next? 3 credits for Victoria & Alberts?
                            Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

Comment

SHHHH! Don't let *them* hear that! We like to think that no-one would be so stupid as to screw up their flagship dining attraction ( in fact, perhaps the only dining which isn't cookie-cutter-uninspired-catering-at-best )...

( I'm still bitter about the GF's inability to deliver a proper Reuben. )

Comment

Originally posted by mikelieman View Post
                                SHHHH! Don't let *them* hear that! We like to think that no-one would be so stupid as to screw up their flagship dining attraction ( in fact, perhaps the only dining which isn't cookie-cutter-uninspired-catering-at-best )...

( I'm still bitter about the GF's inability to deliver a proper Reuben. )
                                I think that's a rather unfounded statement. I could name off a countless number of dining locations that offer above par cuisine that is far from uninspired.

Comment

I don't even bother with the full service restaurants at Epcot most of the time. I don't like planning my theme park visits around dining reservations. I eat when I'm hungry, not when a reservation tells me it's time to eat. I'm just a counter service kind of girl. Eat and then get back to why I'm at a theme park to begin with (obviously not for the food). But I do pick and choose about what counter service options I dine at.

But... to each their own.

Comment

Originally posted by JCSkipr79 View Post
                                    Are burgers, fried chicken, and guests in t-shirts and flip flops next??
                                    Let's get real. If I'm willing to pay for the meal, why should I have to dress up? I have little desire to walk and take transport all the way back to my hotel in order to change to go back to a restaurant. Put the dress up restaurants in the resorts. The time lost in transportation is crazy along with Florida's humidity. And I don't want to walk around the park dressed up when I can wear comfortable outdoor clothing that I wear when I go backpacking.

So bring out the t-shirts and flip flops!

Comment

I think that's a rather unfounded statement. I could name off a countless number of dining locations that offer above par cuisine that is far from uninspired.
                                      Well, would you please?

Comment

Originally posted by mikelieman View Post
                                        Well, would you please?
                                        Ok, how bout in the world showcase there's the new Mexican restaurant that offers a pretty good variety of authentic, tasty mexican cuisine. via napoli's pizza's are considered by some the best and most authentic they have eaten outside of Italy with details focused down to having the water for the dough flown in from an Italian aquifer. The UK pub has received a new menu (that no one happened to mention 'surprisingly') that offers a totally upgraded experience in my opinion with a great combination between many traditional dishes and also some twists on old favorites. finally at Morocco if you ask for traditional spicing as opposed to the toned down version that was made to better suit the American unadventurous pallet, You can have an absolutely wonderful time with very authentic food. That's in the world showcase alone. Heading out to some of my favorites in the parks; 50's prime time offers classic American comfort food at as high a quality as some of those classic roadside dives that are namesake attractions across the us, the Brown derby carries on the tradition of a lost Hollywood treasure in great form, and Jiko at AKL is an incredibly diverse and delicious dining attraction, especially if your at the chefs table like I had the pleasure to be at my last visit. that's just scratching the surface and not even getting into some of the awesome unique snacks like the dole whip, the cream cheese pretzel, and the kitchen sink.

Comment

Working...
                                        X