Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trip Report Just back from WDW (March 1-6 2012)

My wife and I were able to visit Epcot, Magic Kingdom, and Animal Kingdom earlier this week on our little babymoon getaway. I just want to hit on a few points on our trip. Due to her being pregnant, we didn't hit DHS. If you can't go on Tower, or Rockin' Rollercoaster then there's no point really.

- We stayed offsite as we always do. For the same money we can rent a car and still stay at a nice place. I just like having a car to hit other spots in Orlando that we also enjoy such as the Krispy Kreme on 192/Kissimmee. Twice we got there as the donuts were coming right off the line. It's almost indescribable how good they are. The literally melt as you bite into them.

Anyway, back to WDW. Epcot had not yet begun the F&G festival but most of the topiaries were up and everything looked nice. Epcot always looks great regardless. I wanted to make sure I got on Test Track as it won't be around (in it's current form) the next time I make it back down to WDW. It's still oh so enjoyable. It's a blast and feels so much faster at night. I'm gonna miss it for sure. Plus the single rider line got me in and out in 20 min (standby was about an hour). Too bad my wife in her pregnant condition couldn't say goodbye I'm gonna miss you TT.

-This one kid made me laugh when, as we he walked towards the Lotso topiary, he said "There's the bad bear. I don't want a picture with the bad bear".

- The ice cream and strawberry preserve crepes in France are awesome.

- We finally tried Les Chefs bakery in France and it was so good. Had a napoleon myself. Wifey had an apple turnover.

- Living with the Land and Gran Fiesta Tour are (IMO) such underated attractions. I find them to be so well done and entertaining.

- Didn't hit Soarin' since we went a bunch of times when we were in DL in September.

- Ellen sucks so I don't care for that attraction.

- The Seas with Nemo is (IMO) superior to the sub's in DL. It's more comfortable to sit and the projections are clear and sharp unlike the subs out in Anaheim.

- Captain EO is so cheesy that it's awesome. I don't care what anybody says. We have fun watching it. The preshow is torture though.

- This was the first time we made time to visit Club Cool as well. Wifey couldn't believe the international soda was free lol. The bitter stuff from Italy is gross. The lemon-y stuff from Israel is money.

(Some Epcot Pictures)

Grumpy wants to punch you in the face.

A couple days later we went to Magic Kingdom. The entire park seems to be under construction but you can still get those really cool moments at night time when you feel like you have an entire pathway or "land" to yourself. So cool.

- MK was super crowded or at least felt that way early on in the day. I noticed a lot of locals (UF Gators and Florida State shirts etc...) were at the park with their too-young-for-school children. Toddlers and 3 to 4 year olds as far as the eye could see. With all the construction/rides down/re-routing it felt a lot worse than it probably was. Thankfully my theory was right and the cranky, tired kids were out of there by about 5pm. After that the park was super managable. Pirates went from a 40 min wait to walk on in an instant. In any case, MK needs the new FL to open...soon.

- Since my wife is prego we took our time enjoying the lesser known attraction and didn't obsess about lines and fastpasses for the 3 mountains like we did in the past. It was fun taking it easy and focusing on HoP, CoP etc...

- MK's Jungle cruise is so much more enjoyable, to me, than it's cousin at DL. The temple with the monkeys at the end and the superior skippers make all the difference. The skippers at MK always have a different and funny spiel everytime I've gone.

- We enjoyed the new Tiki Room much more than "under new management". We never expereinced the original but I like this one a lot.

- Pooh, though I don't care for him as a character, is a great little dark ride.

- I was glad to ride Snow White one last time. Truly classic and sad to see it go.

- Lots of those little kids were taken on Haunted Mansion and were heard crying a lot. I know HM is a mild as it gets on the scary scale but 2-5 year olds? I don't know. I'm gonna be a dad soon and personally I'd wait till they're older. Just my opinion.

- MK really an awesome feel at night time. Everything feels more intimate and the theming, to me, pops and just looks better. Love MK at night especially Frontierland (which is looking absolutely pristine these days). Too bad my absolute favorite attraction BTMRR is closed. Can't wait for it to be back and better than ever.

(Some Magic Kingdom Pics)

to be continued . . .

---------- Post added 03-09-2012 at 02:52 PM ----------

I saw this little dude at the Boardwalk. As Im sure all of you know, these guys are everywhere...

Now on to Animal Kingdom...

I think AK can very well be a "full day" (usually open no later than 7pm) if you take your time and enjoy everything other than rides.

- Kilamanjaro Safari is still as great as ever especially with an entertaining driver (like Dominic). He was really funny and the animals were pretty much all out at about 4:45pm when we went.

- Disco Yeti aside, Everest is fantastic and it seemed more intense to me this time around.

- We tried Flametree Barbeque this time around and it was very tasty indeed.

- The two shows (Nemo and Lion King) are awesome and, to me, justify the cost of paying for a "full day" at a "half day" park. I get both sides of the argument though. Who doesn't want a few more E tickets?

- Dinosaur is a fun attraction. It's no Indy at DL but it's fun. I read that the volume supposedly had been turned down but I sounded plenty loud to me a few days ago. This is still a must do attraction in my book.

- We purchased a wooden park-specific photo frame at AK with a branded tree of life at the top and branded "Disney Animal Kingdom" logo at the bottom. It's very nice but had us wondering why other parks haven't done the same. I'm not talking about the cheesy colorful ones made of cardboard but nice wooden frames. You see the generic "Walt Disney World" photo frames everywhere but this one stood out cause it's design and size is specific to animal kingdom. I hope to see more like this in the future. (sorry no picture)

(Animal Kindom pics)

finito and thanks for reading
    Last edited by Mickey777; 03-15-2012, 06:43 AM.

Re: Just back from WDW (March 1-6 2012)

Nice. I love posts like these, where folks point what is working in WDW for them. We don't see enough of these. Sure, the park has it problems, which for me had to do more with the resort experience than the parks. But it's awesome to read these upbeat posts about folk's vacations. They just make wanna run to a theme park.

Comment

I can't wait to go in May. Your TR got me even more excited!

http://www.amazon.com/Rent-A-Cops-ebook/dp/B00CGP2Y8S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1367081996&sr=8-1&keywords=rentacops

Comment

First off congrats on being a soon-to-be dad!!

It sounds like you had a lot of fun, and you had a great report. It's so refreshing to see someone who seemed to enjoy their time and not pick WDW apart...it can be such a great place if you don't have the preconceived notion that it'll never compare to DL. Glad you had a good vacation!

Comment

There are several things I really like about this trip report: (1) It made me feel like I was there, (2) It was very positive and focused on the things the travelers liked, (3) It had nice pictures that made me feel I was there, (4) It was told in a way that made me excited for the next time I go to WDW.

I really enjoy when people write positive, uplifting trip reports like this. Life is a glass that is either half full or half empty -- and I think too many of the trip reports I see focus on it being half empty. Nothing is perfect, and every vacation has ups and downs. I like the attitude of this guy and his wife -- and how they were able to have a great time despite the construction going on. I'm sure someone else out there would have written a report that just bellyached about construction. Life is too short to be negative like that.

I really liked how this writer talked about Epcot. I have never been into Epcot, but he made me want to go.

I still don't see the appeal of Animal Kingdom. I live in Chicago and we have two great zoos. I go all the time. I love seeing animals. But every time I have been able to afford to go to Orlando I have never gone to AK because I felt like it would be a waste of money. I have to save up for three years to afford a trip to Florida, so when I am there I go for 5 days usually (including travel days). I just can't afford to take anymore time off work than that. So, the first day I go to WDW, then I go to WDW again the next day. Then I go to Universal. Then I go to Typhoon Lagoon for a relaxing day and to enjoy being in the water. Then it's my last day because I have to fly home so I go to WDW again and then leave from there to the airport.

When I read positive stories like this one, it makes me want to think about either squeezing out Universal or Typhoon and/or adding another day and going to Epcot.

I have never read a story that made me want to go to AK though. However, I go to Universal just for Jurassic Park (and now Harry Potter) so if AK had a dinosaur jungle cruise I would probably go there instead of going to Universal. I love dinosaurs!

Comment

Great trip report! It was great to get your bullet point thoughts as well as fantastic photos!

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
            http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
            http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Comment

Very good photos and helpful report, good info and well presented. Thank you!
              when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

Comment

Captain EO is so cheesy that it's awesome. I don't care what anybody says. We have fun watching it. The preshow is torture though.
                Thank you! That's why I love it. It's just awesome 80s cheese. But I mostly love it for the music. I agree the pre-show is kind of boring after a couple times. And it's already outdated as the narration says "almost 25 years ago" and we're past the 25 year mark now. And honestly, I do NOT remember that pre-show when I saw Captain EO in its heyday in the 80s. Unless that's what they showed at Disneyland because I just don't remember it at Epcot. I remember a Kodak pre-show. *shrug*

Comment

Your pics are wonderfully clear and bright. Thanks for taking the time to post and tell us about your trip!

Comment

Great photos, and commentary. I never seem to get good pictures on Kilimanjaro Safari, although I keep trying.
                    BarbaraAnn

Comment

Life is a glass that is either half full or half empty -- and I think too many of the trip reports I see focus on it being half empty.
                      Nah, it's not a zero-sum game. The glass can be half full and half empty at the same time.

To paraphrase Kevin Yee, the good is implied. It's taken as read. The good is obviously there, or we wouldn't be going to the parks or discussing it here in the first place..

Comment

Thank you all so much for your nice comments :wave:

Originally posted by TylerDurden View Post
                        First off congrats on being a soon-to-be dad!!

It sounds like you had a lot of fun, and you had a great report. It's so refreshing to see someone who seemed to enjoy their time and not pick WDW apart...it can be such a great place if you don't have the preconceived notion that it'll never compare to DL. Glad you had a good vacation!
                        Thanks! Yeah we're looking forward to doing the parks now with our baby boy. I honestly like both resorts equally. When I'm at one, I miss things from the other and so on. Guess I'll just have continue visiting both

Originally posted by DragoHarley View Post
                        I really enjoy when people write positive, uplifting trip reports like this.

I really liked how this writer talked about Epcot. I have never been into Epcot, but he made me want to go.

I still don't see the appeal of Animal Kingdom. I live in Chicago and we have two great zoos. I go all the time.
                        I was definitely trying to stay positive here. Most Disney boards, it seems, are 90% negative and I don't like it either. They messed me up man. Once you've read some of the stuff in the forums, you struggle to get back lol. I'm trying to recover now and I have to really try my hardest not to look for burnt popcorn lights and chipped paint when I'm at the parks. I mean, can't a brutha' just enjoy the parks anymore?

You gotta hit EPCOT when you can. To me (even though I've only been to DL and WDW) it's what sets Disney World apart from the rest of the Disney resorts worldwide. There's just so much to take in around every corner especially world showcase. Plus you have the festivals and the food and theming etc...go! lol

Maybe you could try Animal Kingdom after "not visiting" the zoo for a while. The shows and attractions like Everest and Dinosaur are top notch.

Originally posted by aimster View Post
                        Thank you! That's why I love it. It's just awesome 80s cheese. But I mostly love it for the music. I agree the pre-show is kind of boring after a couple times. And it's already outdated as the narration says "almost 25 years ago" and we're past the 25 year mark now. And honestly, I do NOT remember that pre-show when I saw Captain EO in its heyday in the 80s. Unless that's what they showed at Disneyland because I just don't remember it at Epcot. I remember a Kodak pre-show. *shrug*
                        I'm definitely a fan of all things 80's so to me EO totally crushes HISTA that was there before. The music is fun and I think I went out and bought a MJ's greatest hits CD as a result. This show is cool. Haters gonna hate.

Comment

I have to agree that your trip report is getting me excited for my trip next month! I did AK last time I went and I agree that the Finding Nemo and Lion King shows made it well worth going to AK for the day. I am skipping AK this time due to time.

I wasn't going to go on Nemo at Epcot because I figured that I had already done that at Disneyland and I wasn't super impressed, but after reading your report, I think I will have to do Nemo at Epcot this time. But yeah....I don't care for Ellen (never have) so I think I will skip her.

I am so excited now!

Sara
                          WDW: 1981, 1986, 2008, 2012
                          DLR: 1999, 2009
                          DLP: 2010

Like the Beatles? Check out my blog Meet the Beatles for Real
                          http://meetthebeatlesforreal.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by DragoHarley View Post
                            So, the first day I go to WDW, then I go to WDW again the next day. Then I go to Universal. Then I go to Typhoon Lagoon for a relaxing day and to enjoy being in the water. Then it's my last day because I have to fly home so I go to WDW again and then leave from there to the airport.
                            Just to be picky, when you say WDW you mean the Magic Kingdom, right? You really need to go to Epcot - in my opinion, the best of the Florida parks!

Comment

Originally posted by Starshyne View Post
                              I wasn't going to go on Nemo at Epcot because I figured that I had already done that at Disneyland and I wasn't super impressed, but after reading your report, I think I will have to do Nemo at Epcot this time.Sara

Three reason you'll definitely want to see Nemo at Epcot:

1. It's a very different experience from the Subs at Disneyland. You're comfortably seated in a seashell/omni mover like Haunted Mansion. It's a great mix of real sets with sharp projections and actual sea life/aquarium. I don't want to give a way to much. Go. It's fun.

2. If you're a theming nerd like me, it's got one of the nicest and imaginative queue's on either coast.

3. It's almost always walk on no matter what time of year you go. No lines!

Have fun

Comment

Working...
                              X