X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Storybook Circus Now Open!!!

Originally posted by KingEric View Post
    The that isn't everything then is it? lol just teasing...

But honestly everyone is freaking out over a half baked land reopening when Universal Studios just made the world's best theme park attraction even better... with the re-animated Spiderman Ride... sigh
    Because Disney as already plenty of amazing rides? Oh sure you can say Universal has Disney with HP land but HP will never replace SEE for me or for some other individuals. Plus they're building a new dark ride (OK it's not much but it's something). Universal striked gold with HP but it's yet to be proven if it will stand the test of time like other series have. Also how is it the best ride in the world? Seriously I get it's neat but it's still an omnimover with moving seats and a screen infront of you, I don't mean to sound like a Disney fanboy (especially with the clowns running the place) but HP might not last.
    Last edited by Twist1234; 03-13-2012, 11:44 AM.

Comment

Actually, I never noticed the underside of the Dumbo canopy, and I think it's rather impressive. What I was expecting was metal framework, and the backside of the canvas. Here we have a fully realized wooden underside that looks a bit turn-of-the-century, and very appropriate to the storybook circus theme they're going for. It matches the Fantasyland Train Station very well. I'm impressed!

I still don't quite like all the gold on the spinner itself, but that nighttime fountain video was great! Disneyland's certainly doesn't do that at night! Makes it a whole new thing to do at night.

I'm also very curious about Pete's Silly Sideshow, and Humphrey the Bear's inclusion. Does anybody know what those will be yet?

---------- Post added 03-13-2012 at 04:04 PM ----------

Oh, and the costumes. I don't mind the shirts so much, but the knickers are not that flattering. It looks a little odd, but not so much that I hate it.
      Meow

Comment

I LOVE PROGRESS! I'm always trolling on here to see if anyone has new pictures. These look great! I love seeing the unfinished stuff too, like Ariel's place.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by KingEric View Post
          Universal Studios just made the world's best theme park attraction even better...
          Pooh's Hunny Hunt moved stateside?!?

Comment

Originally posted by lazyboy97O View Post
            Yes, that and it looks even odder in a clearer picture. Metal would make sense for the underside of a tent. But why wood? Nothing suggests wood construction, much less a full wood finish to the underside.
            Not sure what you mean. Are you talking about the roof surface or the roof structure?

The structure all looks like faux wood.. the roof itself is harder to tell in photos so far. But I don't follow the 'nothing suggests wood..' comment. The columns are all shaped like wood would be, there are the structures at the top of the columns.. the whole beam structure is made to look like wood. The whole thing is made to look like wood with tin roofing.

Here's a better picture of the ceiling from Orlando Theme Park News

Comment

Originally posted by flynnibus View Post
              Not sure what you mean. Are you talking about the roof surface or the roof structure?

The structure all looks like faux wood.. the roof itself is harder to tell in photos so far. But I don't follow the 'nothing suggests wood..' comment. The columns are all shaped like wood would be, there are the structures at the top of the columns.. the whole beam structure is made to look like wood. The whole thing is made to look like wood with tin roofing.

Here's a better picture of the ceiling from Orlando Theme Park News

Wow that looks very nice, it fits nicely with the other buildings. It's odd but it still looks nice.

Comment

It's in keeping with the construction methods of old circuses- wood framing and exposed beams.
                Amnesia used to be my favourite word, but I forgot it.

Comment

To those who don't like what you see underneath the canopy, I'll say this. Disney isn't trying to get you to look up at something amazing while in line. It's only there for support purposes, as well as a place to put fans for during the summer. That's it. Sure, they'll try to make it look nicer than someone like Six Flags would, but in the end, it serves a minimal purpose and isn't there for people to stare at.

Comment

Originally posted by Stitch626626 View Post
                    To those who don't like what you see underneath the canopy, I'll say this. Disney isn't trying to get you to look up at something amazing while in line. It's only there for support purposes, as well as a place to put fans for during the summer. That's it. Sure, they'll try to make it look nicer than someone like Six Flags would, but in the end, it serves a minimal purpose and isn't there for people to stare at.
                    True and it looks a lot better then the one at HM.

Comment

So what rides are open besides the new Dumbo?

Comment

Originally posted by gurgi View Post

I'm also very curious about Pete's Silly Sideshow, and Humphrey the Bear's inclusion. Does anybody know what those will be yet?

I've heard mixed things about Pete's Silly Sideshow from various people in the know. A while ago (December), I heard that it would be a meet and greet in one of the tents featuring more obscure characters than those you find in main meet and greets (hence "sideshow"), like Pete, Clarabelle, and potentially even Oswald.

More recently (January), I saw a set of plans that referred to that same tent as "Sideshow Merchandise." That of course would indicate that the space would instead be retail, kind of like the mega-retail location in one of the old Toontown Fair tents.

And now (as in last few days) I'm hearing once again that will be it be a M&G, but this time with Donald, Daisy, Goofy, and potentially Chip & Dale.

Not sure what to believe at this point.

I've heard nothing about why Humphrey was on the poster, but I suspect that since he's depicted holding a candy apple (something completely unrelated to his character), he's going to be featured as the theme of a quick service restaurant. I won't get my hopes up for a meet and greet...
                        Last edited by MarkTwain; 03-15-2012, 06:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by thedude76 View Post
                          So what rides are open besides the new Dumbo?
                          The barnstormer.

Comment

Anyone have pictures of the OLD Dumbo they can share?

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
                            http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
                            http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Comment

The whole thing has the tectonics of a solid and more permanent construction than a traveling circus. It all looks stiff.

Originally posted by Stitch626626 View Post
                              It was meant to be seen. That is why it was designed. Purely utilitarian spaces do not look like that, and if they did then that is not the precedent set by Disney themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Coheteboy View Post
                                Anyone have pictures of the OLD Dumbo they can share?

You can see the old design was 'airy' with dangly stuff... where the new design is 'dense' with ornate objects displayed and protruding from it.

---------- Post added 03-16-2012 at 09:00 PM ----------

Originally posted by lazyboy97O View Post
                                The whole thing has the tectonics of a solid and more permanent construction than a traveling circus. It all looks stiff.
                                To each their own.. I prefer this to concrete or something that looks like a pop-up tent. Sometimes it's the 'idealized' version.. not the raw true version.

Comment

To each their own.. I prefer this to concrete or something that looks like a pop-up tent. Sometimes it's the 'idealized' version.. not the raw true version.
                                  I am not against idealized, and I think this does not give the image of idealized. It does not have to look like a pop up tent to give it the perceived tectonics of a light and movable structure. I think the overall look ends up being more of trying to look like a tent than a full illusion. It may be different in person and when it is all "finished," I am going by the pictures and what I saw a week before the opening.

Comment

You can see the old design was 'airy' with dangly stuff... where the new design is 'dense' with ornate objects displayed and protruding from it.

---------- Post added 03-16-2012 at 09:00 PM ----------

That's just from 1993 to 2012. There's an even older version from between 1971 and 1993, which features a mere ten pachyderms and was even less themed, only drums and Timothy Mouse atop a disco ball of all things! Here's a picture:

And the funny thing is, this version is STILL seen in Tokyo Disneyland!
                                    My top favorite Disneyland attractions:

1. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
                                    2. Pirates of the Caribbean
                                    3. Splash Mountain
                                    4. Mad Tea Party
                                    5. Peter Pan's Flight
                                    6. Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin

Comment

I hope Timothy Mouse makes an appearance somewhere in the finished product!

Comment

Originally posted by MarkTwain View Post

I've heard mixed things about Pete's Silly Sideshow from various people in the know. A while ago (December), I heard that it would be a meet and greet in one of the tents featuring more obscure characters than those you find in main meet and greets (hence "sideshow"), like Pete, Clarabelle, and potentially even Oswald.
                                        Personally, I think that that's still going to happen.

I think that Donald, Daisy, Goofy and Chip & Dale will probably get either their own seperate meet-and-greet location in the Circus or they'll just be outdoors in the area (a la Town Square on Main Street).

Comment

I'd love it if the tent was made for Pete, Clarabelle, and Oswald. Those are some characters that you never see anywhere. Then again, Disney only recently acquired the rights to bring Oswald into the park in the first place.

I'd hate it if the tents were simply made for ordinary characters like Donald, Goofy, Daisy and Chip and Dale.

Comment

Working...
                                          X