Announcement

Collapse
See more
See less

Bob Iger: Avatar expansion for AK opens in 2015.

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• napeterson18
    replied
    Re: Bob Iger: Avatar expansion for AK opens in 2015.

Damn.

Leave a comment:

• ORD84
    replied

Originally posted by Stitch626626 View Post
    What I don't get is why they want to make this film an entire land while Star Wars could do so much better.
    exactly, Star Wars is already a WELL established franchise with a GREAT following that people are passing onto their children...

Avatar is a cheap thrill ride I don't even hear people talk about anymore...

Leave a comment:

• Mr Wiggins
    replied

Originally posted by goofy donald View Post
    ...I doubt anyone in their right mind would ever believe that marvel characters would be on main street lol.
    Very true.

Then again, it wasn't too many years ago that people would have been labeled as not in their right minds if they had predicted a Disney CEO would have said he wanted to see Miss Piggy and Minnie Mouse together on Main Street, and attempted to buy the Muppets. Or that another Disney CEO (who replaced the first CEO, who was fired) would have spent $4 billion to buy Marvel Comics. Or that the first CEO's Chief Financial Officer would be promoted by the second CEO to be in charge of Disneyland and all Disney theme parks, while the previous head of Disneyland (who'd been the head of Strategic Planning before that) became the new CFO.

And you would have been certified as ready for the loony bin if you'd predicted that said ex-CFO would claim to have had a vision while he gazed upon a billion-dollar repair job to his ex-boss' failed 2nd gate theme park in Disneyland's former parking lot.

Said vision, of course, was AvatarLand.

Nutty times, indeed.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 03-15-2012, 08:09 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Stitch626626
    replied

What I don't get is why they want to make this film an entire land while Star Wars could do so much better.

Leave a comment:

• JCSkipr79
    replied

I'm sure Card Walker "confirmed" Western River Expedition. And let's not forget Eisner also "confirmed" Disney's America.

Leave a comment:

• goofy donald
    replied

Originally posted by TodAZ1 View Post
    I don't know, I think the prospect of Iron Man and Belle walking arm in arm down Main Street would generate at least a comment or two. Especially since that was the main thrust of the LA Times article.
    Not really because I doubt anyone in their right mind would ever believe that marvel characters would be on main street lol. keep in mind they only have the rights west of the Mississippi. So if Marvel is joining the parks its in DCA in its own new land, most likely combating the addition of transformers which would certainly be an exciting battle to look for in the future.

Leave a comment:

• TodAZ1
    replied

Boy, the Hollywood Reporter article is SO much better than the LA Times one!

---------- Post added 03-14-2012 at 02:05 PM ----------

Originally posted by flynnibus View Post
    The comment wasn't much of anything.. except what you would expect him to say after buying Marvel. They are exploring concepts on how to use them in the parks. Nothing shocking and nothing new from what was known from the time they bought marvel.
    I don't know, I think the prospect of Iron Man and Belle walking arm in arm down Main Street would generate at least a comment or two. Especially since that was the main thrust of the LA Times article.

Leave a comment:

• flynnibus
    replied

Originally posted by TodAZ1 View Post
    Did nobody see the main focus of that article in the LA Times? Bringing Marvel characters into the park alongside other known Disney characters? No comments from anyone??

Astonishing.
    The comment wasn't much of anything.. except what you would expect him to say after buying Marvel. They are exploring concepts on how to use them in the parks. Nothing shocking and nothing new from what was known from the time they bought marvel.

Leave a comment:

• TodAZ1
    replied

Did nobody see the main focus of that article in the LA Times? Bringing Marvel characters into the park alongside other known Disney characters? No comments from anyone??

Astonishing.

Leave a comment:

• KingEric
    replied

This is a wait and see. Wait and see.

Leave a comment:

• goofy donald
    replied

Originally posted by Wow View Post
    And to be honest, I'm perfectly postive that the Avatar area will be based on the Pandora enviroment and the stories that can be created from that, not based on the conservation-heavy war between the Na'vi and the humans.
    Yes it will be BASED on that quite obviously, however there will always be that overtone and most likely a heavy focus in at least one attraction (if this does get created which I REALLY HOPE IT DOES NOT) about the war with humans and violent aspects of the movie. You cant avoid the primary points of action and eventual climax of the film in a land based about said material.

Leave a comment:

• Wow
    replied

Maybe Iger didn't mention it until asked because there isn't really much to talk about yet. I mean, the projects only been going on for a couple months.

And to be honest, I'm perfectly postive that the Avatar area will be based on the Pandora enviroment and the stories that can be created from that, not based on the conservation-heavy war between the Na'vi and the humans.

Leave a comment:

• jordan__edge
    replied

I'm still holding on to my small hope that it won't happen.

Leave a comment:

• MarkTwain
    replied

2015 seems way too early if there's going to be anything in this land worth bragging about... Previously, the lapse between initial press release has been at least three years, and that's when a good portion of the design is done and renderings are shown at the time of the announcement. I also find it suspicious he didn't mention Avatar land AT ALL until he was questioned about it, even though he gave detailed breakdowns of every park's upcoming offerings beforehand.

Leave a comment:

• lazyboy97O
    replied

He only spoke about Avatar when asked. After Shanghai Disneyland, this is the biggest project in the works at Walt Disney Parks and Resorts, at their biggest Resort, based on one of the highest grossing films ever through a collaboration with one of Hollywood's biggest names. That is the sort of thing that one would expect to be mentioned at a shareholders meeting. I think this gives more credence to stories that the project is troubled, not reassurance that the project is still going strong.

Leave a comment:

• Disney Romantic
    replied

While I was hoping the cancellation rumors were true, and this doesn't do much other than show the project isn't completely dead yet, I really can't judge much of anything until some real plans are presented. I can't get excited about an addition when all I know about it is the licensed property it's based on and the location. If they are going forward with it, I hope they give some idea of the actual plans soon, even Blue Sky plans.

Leave a comment:

• flynnibus
    replied

calling it 'confirmed' is a stretch. The guy didn't say anything defend that they did already invest in star wars (guy asked Iger why avatar instead of star wars) and they wouldn't have stuff until at least 2015.

In essence.. all Iger said was 'not for while yet...' which doesn't really negate any of the rumors about the concerns over the idea being sidelined or stalling. Maybe if he meant breaking ground in 2015.. maybe I'd believe him more

Leave a comment:

• Coheteboy
    replied

Woof. We'll I guess we have 3 years to see what really happens.

Leave a comment:

• Bob Iger: Avatar expansion for AK opens in 2015.

Confirmed today as not 'cancelled' at the Disney shareholders meeting in Kansas City, per Iger's statement. Not long on specifics, but not backing down at all yet if they are thinking about 86'ing the project.

"For the moment, Disney is focused on an ambitious theme park project based on director James Cameron's blockbuster science-fiction fantasy, "Avatar." Disney struck a licensing deal with Cameron, his producing parter, Jon Landau, and film distributor 20th Century Fox, to develop rides and attractions based on the 2009 hit.

The first "Avatar" inspired land is planned for Disney's Animal Kingdom at Walt Disney World in Orlando. Iger told shareholders that the new attraction won't likely open until 2015."

LA Times Article

Hollywood Reporter

Count me disappointed this is still being pushed through. 'Lip-service' tie in to being about saving the environment (on an alien planet) doesn't cut it for me. Military campaigns, battle over natural resources on alien world, alien tribes, explosion filled battles...nothing to do with Earth animals, mythical terrestrial creatures from our world folklore, or extinct animals. A shame they made a grab for this franchise likely in response to Potter when it's such a tepid property.....the film looks pretty, all right. That's about all I can say.
Working...
X