• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nnic
    started a topic [Question] Knee Surgery and Visiting the Parks

Knee Surgery and Visiting the Parks

Hi Everyone,

Just a little background for my question, I had knee surgery last month to remove an AVM and I'm going to the Magic Kingdom this Saturday. I'm able to walk around but I am not able to go up stairs yet. I know Splash Mountain has stairs in both the stand-by and fastpass line so I was wondering if anyone has suggestions about that?
    Thanks,
    Nnic

• DancinBelle
    replied
    Re: Knee Surgery and Visiting the Parks

Originally posted by nnic View Post
    Thank you so much for the suggestions! The trip was yesterday and I decided to use the wheelchair and my friends pushed me around. I thought the wheelchair would also get us to the front of lines but to my surprise they made us go through the standby. Also, even though there were 8 in my group (including me) they said I was only able to bring six on space mountain. Does anyone know why that is?
    Disney has made a serious effort to ensure that all of their attractions are wheelchiar accessible, and have been converting the stand-by queues to accomadate wheelchairs. The official Guest Assistance policy is that no more than 6 may use an alternate entrance, which is usually the fastpass line. Bacuase of crowds and crowd control, they have to place a limit on how many people come in the Fastpass line without a Fastpass, although I don't know why 6 is the offical number.

Leave a comment:

• nnic
    replied

Thank you so much for the suggestions! The trip was yesterday and I decided to use the wheelchair and my friends pushed me around. I thought the wheelchair would also get us to the front of lines but to my surprise they made us go through the standby. Also, even though there were 8 in my group (including me) they said I was only able to bring six on space mountain. Does anyone know why that is?

Leave a comment:

• BlueSkyDriveBy
    replied

Listen to the voice of experience: get the wheelchair!

I made the mistake of going to DL about two months after my knee surgery and opted to walk around. I was fine after the first hour or so, but then my knee began to swell slightly and throb a bit. But stupid me, I kept walking and standing and walking and standing, for at least another five or six hours. My friends kept asking if I wanted to get a wheelchair (they offered to take turns pushing it) but I insisted I didn't need it. I was a fool.

By dinner time, my knee was swollen up, red, warm to the touch, and in pain. Major pain! I went back to my hotel room and got some ice from the machine, propped up my leg on the bed, took a couple of aspirin and watched TV the rest of the night, icing my red swollen knee. I missed out on dinner with my friends, and didn't get to spend any time in the park the next day before driving home. And since it was my right knee that was operated on, the drive home was very painful. Very!

Trust me. WDW is much bigger than DL, so you're looking at even more walking around than I faced.

Get the wheelchair. You will regret it if you don't.

Leave a comment:

• ORD84
    replied

Originally posted by goofy donald View Post
    I agree with this but again to reiterate, only if you feel you really do need it. getting a wheelchair or primarily an ECV when you don't honestly need it hurts everyone in the parks.

After knee surgery, still to this day it hurts standing around/walking all day almost a year later....yeah in this case a wheelchair is a necessary evil, not in the beginning of the day, but I found in Animal Kingdom/EPCOT, it helped me alot throughout the day as those are VERY big parks, the OP asked about the rides so that's why I didn't state this...seen as common sense imo

Leave a comment:

• goofy donald
    replied

Originally posted by Peter'sGirl View Post
    I went with my grandpa to Disney World last year, after HE had just had knee surgery, and this is what I recommend: If you have at least one other person going with you who wouldn't mind, YOU NEED TO GET A WHEELCHAIR. Seriously, it cuts wait times in half. It's awesome. Get a wheelchair. Even if you can walk a bit. You need a wheelchair. After knee surgery, you'll want it eventually, they're relatively cheep, and they totally cut down wait time. A lot.
    Get a wheelchair.
    I agree with this but again to reiterate, only if you feel you really do need it. getting a wheelchair or primarily an ECV when you don't honestly need it hurts everyone in the parks.

Leave a comment:

• Peter'sGirl
    replied

I went with my grandpa to Disney World last year, after HE had just had knee surgery, and this is what I recommend: If you have at least one other person going with you who wouldn't mind, YOU NEED TO GET A WHEELCHAIR. Seriously, it cuts wait times in half. It's awesome. Get a wheelchair. Even if you can walk a bit. You need a wheelchair. After knee surgery, you'll want it eventually, they're relatively cheep, and they totally cut down wait time. A lot.
    Get a wheelchair.

Leave a comment:

• DragoHarley
    replied

I heard somewhere that if you have a disability you can go to City Hall and tell them and then you can get some kind of pass to get into the disabled line -- and almost all the rides have disabled access special like that. Someone reading this please correct me if I am wrong but I know I have read this repeatedly and I have a friend who is in a wheelchair because of a car accident and when she went to WDW a few years ago she told me she went to City Hall and told them her condition and they did something for her so that she did not have to wait in the regular lines, but got to go into special disabled lines on all the rides...and someone helped her get back in her wheelchair when the ride was over and made sure no one stole it or anything.

Am I right about it being City Hall that is the place to go to? I tried looking on the WDW website but I could not see anything, but I am very bad at the internet and it's hard for met to find good information. Sorry my memory is not better but if I talk to my friend in the wheelchair I will update this post with her more detailed information!

Leave a comment:

• ORD84
    replied

you should have it pretty easy last time I was down there in July it was fresh off of a knee surgery(torn lateral collateral in my left knee), and the only ride that gave me some issues was Space Mountain, mainly because the car sits so low and I had trouble getting back up.

Now my gf who just had her second back surgery, has alot of reasons not to ride some of the rides...

We're just one big hot mess together...but you should be fine

Leave a comment:

• thedude76
    replied

Originally posted by nnic View Post
    Hi Everyone,

Just a little background for my question, I had knee surgery last month to remove an AVM and I'm going to the Magic Kingdom this Saturday. I'm able to walk around but I am not able to go up stairs yet. I know Splash Mountain has stairs in both the stand-by and fastpass line so I was wondering if anyone has suggestions about that?
    Thanks,
    Nnic
    Shouldn't be a problem:

Splash Mountain | Critter Country Attractions | Disneyland Park

check out:

Accessibility:
    Mobility Disabilities & Wheelchair Access | Guest Services | Disneyland Resort

So there has to be a path for the ECV to go up that doesn't involve stairs. If I had a knee recently operated on, I'd opt for a ECV or wheelchair for someone to push me around in.

Now, that's DL. But the same looks true below. It's just hidden in a lot of text.

http://disneyworld.disney.go.com/par...lash-mountain/

Guests must transfer from their wheelchair, motorized scooter or ECV to board the ride vehicle.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X