Announcement

Collapse

Reminder

It is against MiceChat's rules to promote any violations of Disney's rules. Members who choose to brag about breaking Disney's rules, or who encourage others to break Disney rules, will be immediately banned. There will be no exceptions.
See more
See less

Could World of Motion Return to Epcot?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Could World of Motion Return to Epcot?

Some people say that it is possible for the World of Motion Dark ride to be added to the Transportation pavilion. Does Test Track take up all the room or is a new ride expansion possible? I don't mean to be a noob, but I read armchair Imagineering threads about adding World of Motion to Epcot and have been wondering. Thanks.

Re: Could World of Motion Return to Epcot?

Funny you should mention that as Test Track recently closed down and is being gutted to make way for a new version

Comment

Funny. Funny indeed. Well, I don't think the Test Track refurb will be much different from the old one.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghostbuster626 View Post
        Funny you should mention that as Test Track recently closed down and is being gutted to make way for a new version
        ...It's not being gutted... Just updates and an interactive queue
        sigpic WDW Cast Member August 2009 - November 2011

Comment

I don't want World of Motion back. Let's move forward, not backwards. That's what Epcot is supposed to be about.

Click the banner! ^^^^
          Follow us on Twitter
          @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
          Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

Comment

Howdy Pards,

Well now...it's an interesting idea...sometimes movin' backwards could be called progress. But, if World of Motion were to return to Epcot...I believe it should be in an all new pavilion... There is a reason why some folks miss the wonderful stuff that used to be in Epcot you know... It's a radical idea really...the idea of Expanding Epcot...expanding Future World...

Some really old fellers are still holdin' out hope that, one day, Walt's original idea for a Progress City would be built...an Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow you might say...

Then, again, some folks are holdin' out hope that more countries might be added around that lake...places like Brazil for instance...

But, back to World of Motion...it was a joy to visit...a journey through time...right down to a great vision for the future...

The spirit of Epcot, I believe, should always be focussed on the future...and celebrating the wonderful stuff about this ol' planet of ours...and bring back Cranium Command, too! I miss that...

Adios for now. Talk to ya on down the trail.

Wild Ol' Dan
            "I can see the cattle grazin' o'er the hills at early morn…
            I can see the campfires smokin’ at the breaking of the dawn,
            I can hear the bronco's neighin', I can hear the cowboys sing,
            I'd like to be in Texas for the Round-up in the Spring."
            sigpic

Comment

long story short, no it should not come back, a fairly similar set up can be seen in SSE and test track is receiving a bunch of new updates. I would rather see something new and a little bit different to add that one more big draw, high capacity attraction Epcot needs to balance out the lines a bit more. if they added this hypothetical new attraction as part of a new pavilion, fixed JII with a new attraction, and did some minor refurb's around the entire park, i think we would all be a lot happier with Epcot's condition. other issues from then could be fixed over time individually.

Comment

Could, should, and won't.

Comment

Originally posted by DancinBelle View Post
                  ...It's not being gutted... Just updates and an interactive queue
                  You haven't heard? The attraction is being stripped down to the core only the track itself and ride vehicles will remain. Chevorlet is spending a considerable amount of money on this overhaul and will be marketing it as a new attraction. New show sets have already been under construction for months now and they will be installed during the 8 month down time. There will be a tron style scene that is similar to one of the old scenes from World of Motion

Comment

It's definitely not happening during this refurbishment. If I remember right, this rehab is only supposed to last until June. That's clearly not enough time to gut and rebuild any ride, let alone one as elaborate as World of Motion which had 198 audio-animatronic figures.

I always liked the World of motion. I liked how it was a trip through time like a lot of the old Future World omnimovers, but told its story through humor. That is what made it stand out. It is also the only attraction Ward Kimball ever worked on. That should count for something.

I will concede that Epcot should have some thrills to appease modern audiences, but Test Track is an alarmingly bare bones show; especially when compared to what occupied that building before. A compromise I would like to see is a trip through the history of transportation similar to the World of Motion that zooms into the future for a high speed thrilling finale. I know the pavilion is sponsored by an automobile company, but they can still try to dream bigger than anti-lock breaks and corrosive resistant paint.
                    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dapper Dan View Post
                      It's definitely not happening during this refurbishment. If I remember right, this rehab is only supposed to last until June. That's clearly not enough time to gut and rebuild any ride, let alone one as elaborate as World of Motion which had 198 audio-animatronic figures.
                      Refurbishment is actually lasting until the Fall. They are removing a lot, if not all, of the current inside theming, and have already started. However, I doubt the ride track or configuration is receiving any changes, though who knows by the time they're done. Still, all the talk about the new version mentions nothing about World of Motion Track, and I don't foresee GM springing for it.

As for World of Motion, while I would have loved to have a chance to experience it before it was gone, I'm at least glad the ride that replaced it is quite enjoyable in its own right. I'd rather see Horizons again really, but that's mostly nostalgia. I've looked at old footage for the first time in years and realized I'd forgotten how dated it looked in the late 90s. If it was still around, it'd be updated for the fifth time or playing itself for laughs like much of Carousel of Progress does.
                      "A paradise for children--and for grownups, too. I don't know when I've had so much fun."-Richard Nixon on Disneyland

Newest Post- Epcot 30x30: Club Cool

Comment

We'll NEVER see WoM rebuilt, but I for one would more than gladly welcome ANY new dark omnimover style ride to Future World.
                        Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

Comment

The sad thing is, Disney could have overhauled the pavilion way back when and added the same Test Track thrills without completely throwing the World of Motion sets and general idea out the window. Just add the TT technology, ride vehicles, and track, and integrate it into some of the existing tableaux and backdrops.

You can have "hot" and "cold" scenes set as part of a historical set documenting the conditions travelers encountered centuries ago as the country was settled by wagon trains; the bumpy terrain could be integrated in the same way. Hill climbs naturally fit into the story. And add the semi truck "close encounter" as part of a wrap-up of the perils encountered by motorists as the highway system expanded in the middle of the last century.

Add the high-speed, external loop as part of a "launching into the future" finale, complete with futuristic city at the end. Voila -- you have all the "thrill" elements of TT, only set in an overall experience that's more than just a bare-bones, unimaginative presentation on car testing.

Comment

Originally posted by Ghostbuster626 View Post
                            You haven't heard? The attraction is being stripped down to the core only the track itself and ride vehicles will remain. Chevorlet is spending a considerable amount of money on this overhaul and will be marketing it as a new attraction. New show sets have already been under construction for months now and they will be installed during the 8 month down time. There will be a tron style scene that is similar to one of the old scenes from World of Motion
                            I don't want to argue, but where are you getting your information? My husband was a trainer at Mission Space and still has a lot of friends who work in that area and will be part of the test and adjust crew before it opens, and no one has heard anything about radical changes. They are getting new vehicles, the first one was installed in November.
                            sigpic WDW Cast Member August 2009 - November 2011

Comment

Originally posted by DancinBelle View Post
                              I don't want to argue, but where are you getting your information? My husband was a trainer at Mission Space and still has a lot of friends who work in that area and will be part of the test and adjust crew before it opens, and no one has heard anything about radical changes. They are getting new vehicles, the first one was installed in November.
                              My information is coming from reading the WDWMagic forum where someone who works for GM gave some info on the new attraction and other insiders are confirming the validity of it..

Also this:

[img]538437_10150678193678568_508613567_9314419_7850010 68_n.jpg[/img]

It wouldn't be worded like that if it was just a refurb

Also the guy who said the ride is only closed until June is wrong. The ride will not be reopening until December at the earliest.

Comment

I'm a CM and have lots of friends who work at TT. The actual track won't be changing, but there is a major overhaul of the theme, show scenes and adding a whole new level of interactivity of the ride. I've been shown some concept art and it all looks Tron inspired.

---------- Post added 04-18-2012 at 04:03 PM ----------

I am a Cm and have friends who work at TT. I've seen the concept art and hear it is going to be a radical visual overhaul of the ride. The layout will be the same, with new interactive enhancements where you are testing a vehicle you've designed. Apparently it is all Tron inspired.

Comment

It ought to reopen Nov. 30.
                                  Kevin Yee
                                  MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
                                  Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
                                  Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
                                  Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
                                  Mouse Trap
                                  Tokyo Disney Made Easy
                                  101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
                                  Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

Comment

Considering I never rode WOM and Ive seen Martins ultimate tribute, I fell in love with the attraction I would love to see a comeback. Reopening an old attraction doesn't necessarily mean it will be an exact copy a new WOM could include the development of other modes of transportation and expand the ones shown in the original show today we have high speed trains, submarines available for tourists and more futuristic cars. Long story short same principle but a expanded story.

"THAT'S R
                                    IGHT CARNEGIE STEEL BUILT THIS PLACE"!!!!!

Comment

I guess I'm the only one who remembers just how ridiculous boring World of Motion was. Yes, there were some good show scenes with animatronics (incorporated from abandoned MK plans), but I think there was a pretty boring movie involved and nothing else that exciting. Test Track was a definite huge improvement I think, and it will definitely be even better with more futuristic and Future World-esque elements being added in the revamp.

Comment

Originally posted by SparkChaser View Post
                                        Considering I never rode WOM and Ive seen Martins ultimate tribute, I fell in love with the attraction I would love to see a comeback. Reopening an old attraction doesn't necessarily mean it will be an exact copy a new WOM could include the development of other modes of transportation and expand the ones shown in the original show today we have high speed trains, submarines available for tourists and more futuristic cars. Long story short same principle but a expanded story.
                                        I am a huge fan of Martin's tributes. However, I have to say World of motion is the worst one. It's not his fault. The background documentary work he does is just as good as always. The video of the attraction itself is just a really poor quality. I know he can only work with the material he can get his hands on, but that one is very dark and it's hard to see a lot of the details in the scenes. The model in the finale is particularly disappointing since you pretty much cant see anything of what is my personal favorite model ever. So just keep in mind that while I'm grateful that film of this ride exists, it really doesn't do it justice.

Originally posted by Kei View Post
                                        I guess I'm the only one who remembers just how ridiculous boring World of Motion was. Yes, there were some good show scenes with animatronics (incorporated from abandoned MK plans), but I think there was a pretty boring movie involved and nothing else that exciting. Test Track was a definite huge improvement I think, and it will definitely be even better with more futuristic and Future World-esque elements being added in the revamp.
                                        I actually find Test Track to be quite boring. There's barely any sets and aside from the bank of the curve in the finale, there's nothing in there that most people don't do in their own cars on a regular basis. Different strokes, I guess.

I'm not sure which movie you're talking about. The only one I remember is The Water Engine, which I thought was a fun little film about alternative fuels. I'm not a big fan of Bird and Robot though. Industrial machinery really doesn't do anything for me. Maybe that's why I think Test Track is so boring.
                                        It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.
                                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                        X