Announcement

Collapse

Reminder

It is against MiceChat's rules to promote any violations of Disney's rules. Members who choose to brag about breaking Disney's rules, or who encourage others to break Disney rules, will be immediately banned. There will be no exceptions.
See more
See less

Convert a DLR Lover? (Trip advice, please!)

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Convert a DLR Lover? (Trip advice, please!)

That said.. reminds me. No one should ever be a first time visitor to WDW who has an inkling to Walt's patriotism and NOT see the American Adventure Show.

Just the building alone should be inspiring.. and the show is great as ever. The exhibits they have in the building right now are interesting too for history types.

So maybe some tips for World Showcase shows...
    Mexico.. cute modern take on the old disney ride style that brought you 'if you had wings' and other filers
    Norway - malestrom is ok.. but don't wait 30+mins for it.. skip it if its backed up. FP is nice, but it also means treking all the way back around the lagoon to use it!
    Canada, France, and China are all circlevision films. If on a short trip.. I'd skip 'em.

Basically World Showcase is.. walk around and hit American Adventure and Mexico. Grab food out there, look through the shops if you are that type.

Innovations.. don't even go in. It's not like DL... but it's not worth your time either. If you are 'stuck' in EPCOT.. browse World Showcase instead.

Spaceship Earth.. another classic Disney style attraction.. come back to it later in the day. This has lines early.. and not late in the day. The post show area has some games to play.

Mission Space: do both sides if you are up to it. The post show area has some cute games

Test Track is down for refurb

Soarin' skip.. ride the land ride instead just to see what classic EPCOT was more like. The movie in the pavilion you can skip

Imagination - ride it, and then go home and watch videos of the original attraction and moarn what it used to be.

Seas... do turtle talk if you haven't before.. spend time going through the exhibits.. do Nemo 2x or more.

Energy.. do it.. and then like Imagination, go home and watch videos of the original to see what it used to be great about it. It's still neat for first timers, but a shadow of it's grandular before.

In EPCOT, future world closes earlier than world showcase (but the hours have been experimenting lately).. so don't put off those rides.

The fireworks show at EPCOT is great.. best spots are kind of along the north/south line.. on either side of the lagoon. Try to find a spot where your view up is not blocked by trees. You will see the globe and fireworks barges come out about 2hrs or so before the show.. make sure you can see the barge. I prefer seating around Italy, etc. Keep an eye on crowds.. you may need to pick a spot out about 30mins or more early depending o crowd levels. You can see it without waiting.. but your view can really be hindered.

Comment

This might be the longest advice thread I've seen and I'm oddly proud of that. :P I have to send out another round of thanks for the advice given to me since the last time I posted. I really cannot extend how much appreciation I have for you guys taking the time out to say something and give me some insight. I'll definitely be scouring the depths of the internet this weekend to find out more about what I do have a great deal of interest in and what I feel I can skip (I'm still very skeptical about anything history related--I feel that if neither I or my parents enjoy it since none of us are history buffs, it'd be on me that we'd wasted a few minutes at the park).

Originally posted by flynnibus View Post
      The rain is something you must plan for - if you don't - life can be a lot more miserable. Same for the heat. It's hot.. africa hot.. tarzan can't take this heat. Our last trip in June it was high 90s in the middle of the night.

Now that isn't to say it's not managable.. it is (and I don't mean with spending half your afternoon at the hotel).. but be ready for it. Expectation shapes things.

Your '20mins or skip it' experience won't really fly at WDW. Yes, there are lots of attractions that have 20min or less waits.. but you can't let that be your cut off for major attractions or you'll never get on them. Normally in WDW.. 45mins or less is 'good' for a significant attraction.. '25 or less' is great. Some exceptions as always for the big people eaters. Don't be shocked at 60-90min waits.. they are common.. use FP.

- Are you 'fun' first type? Or do you want to explore and appreciate the finer things?
      - Do you like shows? or see them only to experience them once and be done with them?
      - Do you like parades? Or like shows.. experience them and move on
      Yeah, my expectation during peak seasons are 30 minutes or less for any non-fastpass ride (my mom had us wait in an hour+ long line for Haunted Mansion Holiday which was obviously less-than-enjoyable). As for the weather, I'm hoping that time in the Philippines that my family has had has prepared us for humidity. Thanks to all the people warning us about the rain! I'd never have known that without you guys.

I think when I'm with my parents, I'd have to go a more touristy route. Rides and shows would have to come first, especially if they're exclusive to WDW. My parents aren't so much into looking at the finer details or learning the cool facts, though they can appreciate them if they notice them or if things are pointed out to them. My mom is not a huge thrill-seeker, so we'll definitely see a lot of shows to satisfy her. My dad is kind of in the middle and loves a good show, but isn't as afraid to ride some coasters. I love rides and will enjoy being there for the most part.

Comment

For the MK..

Shows
        Hall of Presidents is classic Disney.. slow but impressive. The thrill seekers bore here.. but you must do it if you've never seen it. Personally I think American Adventure is more emotional.. but HoP does give some impressive sights too.

Philharmagic is not to be missed. It is by far Disney's best 3D theater show.

Monster Laugh Floor - to the casual person its generally liked. Awe inspiring? No. Worth missing other things for? No. Will you enjoy yourself? Probably. If you have time, try it.

Tiki Room - I'd pass since you are DL regulars

Wishes Fireworks - Do not miss - worth it. You must stay further back then you are used to at DL for fireworks. The bridge to Tommorrowland gives good views.. best views are Mainstreet side of hub near the buildings.. but will be crowded! Stay in your same spot for both the fireworks and the memories show
        Magic&Memories - Do not miss - worth it

Attractions worth skipping..
        Aladdin Carpet Spinner
        PoTC (come back at night to ride this... but don't skip it entirely)
        Tea Cups - unless someone really wants to ride a spinner.. pass
        Carrousel - similar to tea cups..
        Barnstomer.. depends on your age group.. probably a pass
        Dumbo - go look at it, admire it.. but not worth the wait. Ride the astro rockets instead

Don't miss MK flavors..
        Swiss Family Robinson Treehouse
        Splash Mountain (FP this baby)
        Country Bear J. (for history)
        Haunted Mansion - should be able to get short waits.. if not try later in evening
        Peter Pan - best dark ride in park.. plus you'll want to compare to DL. If you don't have thrill seekers.. make this your first FP of the day. This attraction will hold a 60+min wait all day long
        Space Mountain - gotta see the difference. FP this one after you FP peter pan
        PeopleMover... nostalgia sake and a relaxing break
        Carousel of Progress - could be a hard sell to some.. but play the Walt card and make time for it
        Astro Jets - make this your spinner ride. Beware.. can have long waits

Middle of the road:
        Jungle Cruise - differences but not massive. Enjoy it for the slow ride
        BTMRR - differences, but not major. Check schedule if its out of rehab by then
        IASW - see the differences outside Don't wait long for this one..
        Buzz - good for the group.. but inferior to DL due to the different targets. Different guns are a preference.. I prefer MKs.. but the animated targets are better in DL
        Speedway - pass unless you have a minor who loves that stuff. Autopia is much much nicer

Hard sells..
        Tom Sawyer.. nice to see the old style before pirate invasion.. but generally not good for a adult group
        Riverboat - pretty plain in MK compared to riding the columbia. Pass unless someone really wants it bad
        Pooh - a disney fan would want to see what the fuss over the queue is about.. but does hold significant lines at times and is 'ok' but nothing great.

---------- Post added 04-20-2012 at 10:38 PM ----------

DHS...

Shows..
        Beauty and the Beast - it's ok.. but just a straight forward stage musical. Alladin it is NOT. I'd vote for 'skip' unless you have musical fans

Jedi Academy - same as DL.. skip

Lights, Motor, Action - Neat show, but big time sink. Depends on your group. Neat car stunt show.

Voyage of the Little Mermaid - cool dark light puppet stage show. Gets a lot of hate, but I think it's a 'must see'... its cool if you've never seen it

Ones to skip...
        Honey I shrunk playground
        Disney Animation area - walk in the exit doors to see whos in the M&Gs if you want (they rotate)
        Disney Junior - unless you have toddlers in your group. Puppet stage show with sit on the floor seating
        Pixar Parade
        American Idol - unless you are obsessed with the TV show
        Sounds Dangerous (hasn't been running in ages so I don't even think its seasonal anymore)

Must sees...
        Great Movie Ride... enjoy and just wish it was as good as it used to be
        Indiana Jones - it's a good stunt show.. I'd recommend it for first timers
        Toy Story Mania - I list this here, but if you've done it a lot at DCA, you may want to skip due to the insane wait times on this. Will be 70-120mins all day long. FPs go QUICK. Can wait in 10min line just for FPs at park opening
        One Mans Dream exhibit - drag the group through it. Its worth it and the film is interesting.
        RnRC - great rollercoaster
        Tower of Terror - Do it.. the difference in the ride vs DCA is worth seeing. Waits are usually managable (FP RNRC over Tower if you must chose)
        Fantasmic - if you pick your DHS day right.. this will be showing. Good show, but not compared to DL version. Will need to get there significantly before show time to get seated.. usually 30+mins ahead at least.

Middle of the road...
        Muppetvision - same as DL... good family attraction. Nice outside, but indoors the same
        Backlot Tour - if you've ever been to USH.. you'll think this is as bad as it really is. A shell of it's former self. Do it if you have time to kill
        Check out some of the street-mosphere performers if you see them (police, actors/directors, etc)

Unlike the MK - you should plan a table service meal here for sure...
        50s prime time is a great 'show' put on by the cast
        SciFi Drive in is a cool experience but only ok food
        Brown Derby is great.. maybe even consider booking a F! package with it

A table service at one of these should be a 'must do' for your DHS day.

Park tips.. if you want to do TSMM - head there FIRST to get a FP. Star Tours, ToT and RnRC are really the other anchors of the park. ST should have a light wait in the morning. Consider doing that.. then heading to TSMM and then to get FP from RnRC and ride tower if your group is up to it.

You will want to make note of the show times for any shows you want to see and plan around those. Voyage of TLM runs continuously.. but Indy, LMA, and BaTB are fixed times you will want to plan around.

A good counter service to get away from the sun is the one back over by Indy/ST. It has lots of seating both indoor and patio.

Comment

All very helpful. I do have a question tho... I'll be there May 16th - 25th... Hows is the weather? Is it as hot and miserable is it will be in June during the OPers trip?

http://www.amazon.com/Rent-A-Cops-ebook/dp/B00CGP2Y8S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1367081996&sr=8-1&keywords=rentacops

Comment

Originally posted by TONY THE BEAT View Post
            All very helpful. I do have a question tho... I'll be there May 16th - 25th... Hows is the weather? Is it as hot and miserable is it will be in June during the OPers trip?
            May is definitely heating up, but still hasn't hit summer peak temperatures. If you're not used to warmer temperatures, make sure you take plenty of breaks in the air conditioning, which is pretty easy between indoor attractions and shows, gift shops, and restaurants.

My main tip for anyone is drink plenty of water!! All you have to do is walk up to any quick-service counter (you don't even have to wait in line at the register!) and ask for a cup of ice water, and they'll give you a full-size cup filled with plenty of ice and water, no charge. I have had to call 911 more than once for Guests at Rock 'n' Roller Coaster who would pass out as them came into the air-conditioned building after waiting in line in the heat and not enough drinking water.
            sigpic WDW Cast Member August 2009 - November 2011

Comment

May tends to bring temps in the upper 80s low 90s, as DancinBelle suggests bring a bottle of water, I use my refillable water bottle as for the 20$ I paid for it pays for itself after a week in WDW.
              The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
              -George S. Patton

Comment

Thanks. I'm going to be taking my camerbak bottle with me and asking for ice water as much as possible. I'm worried about the humidity

http://www.amazon.com/Rent-A-Cops-ebook/dp/B00CGP2Y8S/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1367081996&sr=8-1&keywords=rentacops

Comment

Originally posted by DancinBelle View Post
                  My main tip for anyone is drink plenty of water!! All you have to do is walk up to any quick-service counter (you don't even have to wait in line at the register!) and ask for a cup of ice water, and they'll give you a full-size cup filled with plenty of ice and water, no charge. I have had to call 911 more than once for Guests at Rock 'n' Roller Coaster who would pass out as them came into the air-conditioned building after waiting in line in the heat and not enough drinking water.
                  You don't have to wait in line for water? Does this get you some evil glares from the people waiting in lines or is this generally considered acceptable?

I have another question about the weather: I understand it rains every day. But are the winds rough as well? I was wondering if it's appropriate to use an umbrella since it's easier to dry off than a poncho, but if crowds and winds are an issue, I'd rather not fight with an umbrella. Also, how does the rain affect rides?

Comment

Originally posted by ohmyjustin View Post
                    You don't have to wait in line for water? Does this get you some evil glares from the people waiting in lines or is this generally considered acceptable?

I have another question about the weather: I understand it rains every day. But are the winds rough as well? I was wondering if it's appropriate to use an umbrella since it's easier to dry off than a poncho, but if crowds and winds are an issue, I'd rather not fight with an umbrella. Also, how does the rain affect rides?
                    Howdy Pard,

Well, you are gonna find the rain in Florida purty much the same as you find the rain in California...generally...wet. I like to carry an umbrella rather than one of those poncho things...but if the wind comes up...go shoppin'! Or stand in line somewhere's out of the wind.
                    The rain in Florida is generally not all that predictible...sometimes it rains every day...sometimes it don't. Never let it stop ya from havin' fun in the park. Bring some water with ya... if you cut in line in front of other folks...well, what would you do? How would you feel if
                    somebody did that to you? Folks is generally folks...and on hot, sticky days some folks can be more like folks than others. Remember,
                    some folks are visitin' here from NEW YORK CITY! And, they've always been known for their kindness, patience, and courtesy...and for expressin' all that in a rather unique way...

Don't worry all that much about the weather...just try to come prepared for whatever ya get...sunshine or "heavy dew"... Keep a smile in your heart...no matter what...and, even if ya get one of those "looks" from somebody don't let their problem take away your happiness. Just smile at 'em and move along... I've always found singin' Zip a de do dah helps...or, at least rememberin' the words...

Plan ahead...but don't worry too much...you're gonna have a great time...a wonderful time...a supercalifragilisticexpealadocious time!
                    You're gonna be happy...if ya make up your mind to be. And, here's a tip...on one of those hot days...I've always found a Mickey Mouse Chocolate Covered Ice Cream Bar the perfect medicine for the occasion. It might cost too much...but it'll be worth it...trust me.

Adios for now. Talk to ya on down the trail.

Wild Ol' Dan
                    "I can see the cattle grazin' o'er the hills at early morn…
                    I can see the campfires smokin’ at the breaking of the dawn,
                    I can hear the bronco's neighin', I can hear the cowboys sing,
                    I'd like to be in Texas for the Round-up in the Spring."
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ohmyjustin View Post

If it's crowded, it's nice to wait in line, however you can walk past the register, and they'll make one for you quickly and then move on. The people who make the drinks aren't the ones putting together the trays. I've never had a problem with it.

Most of the time it isn't windy, unless it's a doozy of a storm. Umbrella are fine for an outdoor attractions, but you will not be allowed to have them open inside or on the attractions. (I know that sounds like common sense, but you won't believe the number of people who try to open their umbrellas on Thunder).

Rain will not affect the rides; however, lightening will shut down all outdoor attractions. If there is lightening within a 10 mile radius, outdoor attractions will shut down, so sometimes they'll close before the rain hits. If this does happen, and you want to catch something special, head over to the Jungle Cruise. All of the skippers are hanging around the Fastpass machines, desperate for conversation. Sometimes we perform a "dry cruise" where one skipper recites the spiel and the rest re-enact animals and scenes. Look it up on Youtube
                      sigpic WDW Cast Member August 2009 - November 2011

Comment

Florida afternoon storms basically are extremely intense... but short. Think BUCKETS of water rain.... ear shattering thunder... sometimes windy... and then 30mins later its like it never happened. They are fun as long as you aren't the type that gets freaked if you get splashed. Dress appropriate and they can actually be a lot of fun.

Soggy shoes are not fun however.. we pack flipflops for the water stuff in Uni.. and would work similar for playing in the rain

Comment

Concerning the rain, a few solutions exists.

To keep dry:

1) bring a super lightweight umbrella and throw it in a backpack for easy use
                          2) buy an overpriced Mickey poncho
                          3) pack a poncho

For feet:

1) Ecco sandals because they're comfortable
                          2) mesh trail runners with darn tough wool socks because even if your feet are wet, they'll still be warm

Comment

I wear Crocs at WDW. Sure, they look dorky, but they dry quickly.

Comment

How does one get from one area to the next in each park?

Every park at WDW is pretty well designed in the sense that the pathway your on will always lead to something. There are never any dead ends. It's not very hard to get from one place to the other, but if you're trying to get somewhere specific, just pick up a map. The parks are pretty big, so if you're just wandering, you might not always get in everything you wanted to do.

I've read that the pathways are much larger than in DLR, but does it make a noticeable difference in foot traffic?

I've never been to DLR so I'm not sure what I'm comparing to, but the pathways are pretty large and wide. I've rarely had trouble with foot traffic, the only real problem can be strollers, but even those aren't entirely unbearable.

Are there stroller issues like in DLR?

Refer above.

I know that WDW isn't as compact as Disneyland, so does that mean a much more strenuous journey between rides and lands?

No, not at all. There's a large amount of eye candy on the way to every land. Whether it's iconic rides in the distance, or just little Disney quirks that you catch out of the corner of your eye. The journey might be a little longer than DLR's, but I'd hardly call it strenuous.

What can I expect for stand-by line times? I tend not to wait in stand-by if the line is longer than 20-25 minutes, but I know that there are often more loading docks in WDW in DLR. Is it offset by the larger crowds that lines are about the same? Along that line, how do summer crowds in WDW compare to summer crowds in DLR?

Again, I've never been to DLR, but lines can be pretty long depending on when you go. During peak seasons, E-Ticket attractions can have rides between 50-70 minutes. I've never minded long lines though because ever since I was a kid, my parents always made a note of using that time in line as a time to just bond, talk and relax. Don't get caught up in how long the line is, just be happy that you're there and be happy with who you're there with.

What are some essentials I have to do at WDW that I can't do at DLR? At any other Disney park?

I'm not sure to be totally honest, but the sheer size of WDW and everything in it is enough to satisfy. It really immerses you in the Disney experience. I'd assume, at DLR, it's Disney in the parks, and as soon as you leave, that's it. However, when you're at Disney World it's such a massive experience that everything from the parks, to the hotels, to areas of the airport when you arrive are all Disney-centric. It's an experience unlike any other.

What about some rides that are at DLR but are vastly different/"better" (
                              ) at WDW?

To the best of my knowledge, every ride at WDW that has a sister ride in DLR has it's own little spin. I'd say it's your preference as to which you will like better, but I love pretty much every ride in WDW. However, two rides exclusive to WDW that are absolute must rides are Expedition Everest amd The Rock 'N' Roller Coaster.

What are the best shows, or will a day at each park really allow me to attend the vast majority of them?

The only show I'd really recommend seeing before you leave is Fantasmic. I don't know if it's offered at DLr, and it might be and probably is, but I'd still see it here to see if you notice anything different.

Single-Rider options?

Single rider lines are available for most thrill rides.

With FastPass return times being enforced here, I feel like I really have to pick and choose which ones we go for else I'm left running left and right--so which should be at the top of my list?

In order from most crucial to least...

At the Magic Kingdom:

Space Mountain
                              Big Thunder Mountain
                              Splash Mountain

At EPCOT:

Soarin'
                              Test Track (if it's still open)

At Hollywood Studios:

Toy Story Midway Mania
                              The Rock 'N' Roller Coaster
                              Tower of Terror

At The Animal Kingdom:

Expedition Everest
                              The Kilimanjaro Safaris

Best places to eat? I know about the dining plan, and I don't think we're opting for that, so what are my other options besides churros and turkey legs?

Bistro De Paris, Le Cellier, The Brown Derby, Il Mulino Trattoria, The Yachstman

I also have to seriously, seriously recommend going to the Hoop-Dee-Doo Musical Revue. It's the best dining experience you'll have...maybe anywhere.

Any other things you wish you'd known at your first visit to WDW? Special spots you'd like to share with me? Little things I can do that won't impede upon the rest of my vacation?

The only thing I wish I'd known was how lucky I was to be able to go. I was young, so you probably won't have that problem. Just enjoy being there and let yourself get lost in the experience. Have fun!

Comment

Woah thank you so much! I hope that this thread really helps out some other people as well, especially with how much effort people are putting into the replies.

I have one more question (for now)! I might be upgrading my Premium DLR pass to a Premier, so I was wondering which restaurants/food services of the ones with a pass discount are worth going to and which should I just skip completely. I realize this question is quite similar to one I had previously posted, but it may change some answers... The restaurants eligible, according to the website:

Not sure how much time we're spending downtown, so I didn't list them, but if there is anywhere I have to go, especially with a discount, let me know!

Comment

Welcome to WDW ohmyjustin.

First, facebook a group named Walt Disney World Weekly. They typically have one official meet every weekend, and can have several additional meets as well. You will be more then welcomed to be at the meet, they/we/I love meeting new people.

about your question, I have been to both. My summary is that WDW is a fantastic resort destination, that can be somewhat overwhelming in its size and scope. That said, park for park, DLR's two parks offer about 80% as much as WDW's four parks.... so park for park, your getting alot more bang for your buck at DLR. Also, MK, IMHO, struggles to match the storytelling and themed experiences of this older sister, DL. It may be larger but has less to offer, but still has some gems within its railroad limits. People Mover anyone

Ok... so my opinions aside......

How does one get from one area to the next in each park? I've read that the pathways are much larger than in DLR, but does it make a noticeable difference in foot traffic? Are there stroller issues like in DLR? I know that WDW isn't as compact as Disneyland, so does that mean a much more strenuous journey between rides and lands?

That pathways aren't so much longer as they are wider. In the case of the MK, you might notice how much bigger the hub is vs. DL's. its HUGE. but no, I wouldn't worry about foot traffic. If you can handle DLR and all its strollers and narrow walkways, your all set for traversing the WDW theme parks.

What can I expect for stand-by line times? I tend not to wait in stand-by if the line is longer than 20-25 minutes, but I know that there are often more loading docks in WDW in DLR. Is it offset by the larger crowds that lines are about the same? Along that line, how do summer crowds in WDW compare to summer crowds in DLR?

DL may be smaller but it has more attractions within its boarders, and as such,given the same crowd size is better able give everyone opportunities to experience attractions. Compound this with MK's higher annual attendance and unfortunately you can expect to stand in some longer lines. The secret.... like DL.... GET there at park opening for the bigger attractions and enjoy the smaller ones once the crowds have built up. Another plus is that due to weather, MK often has some really fun and visually engaging lines. Space Mountain comes to mind, as does Pirates.

What are some essentials I have to do at WDW that I can't do at DLR? At any other Disney park? What about some rides that are at DLR but are vastly different/"better" () at WDW? What are the best shows, or will a day at each park really allow me to attend the vast majority of them? Single-Rider options? With FastPass return times being enforced here, I feel like I really have to pick and choose which ones we go for else I'm left running left and right--so which should be at the top of my list?

WOW that is a loaded question. The marque attractions are always fun to compare and make your own decisions about. For example Space mountain has its fans and even those that prefer it to the DL version. I don't but there are those that do. Go on it and decide for yourself. same for JC, Pirates, HM, SM, BTMRR, and Splash. TL is aging badly but IMHO, tops DL's. If you want to ride Astro Orbitor up high in the sky, then here is your opportunity! The original CoP is here, if that's your thing, and there is still a people mover. WDW has the better Winnie the pooh ride, in my option. If your going to skip any of the main staples, skip Pirates, it has a great line, but the ride really is the cliff notes version of DL's.

As far as food options.... plenty of options. Churros are much harder to find at WDW, but they are there in Frontierland. Ditto on turkeylegs but while some slam WDW food and beverage, I find it to be one of areas wdw shines. They have taco salads adventureland and really nice burger topping bars in frontierland. What chicken&waffles, or shrimp, head to Lib Square. A list of the countries at Epcot is a list of the diverse culinary options to be had.

And for best shows.... DAK's Nemo and Festival of the Lion King are great.

At MK, I really don't think there is a need to experience tiki room, pirates, grand prix raceway as they are the same or better at DL. At Epcot, skip Soaring, its the same at DCA. Spend your limited time experiencing what you don't have. Ditto for its tough to be a bug at DAK and, Star Tours, Midway Mania at DHS.

Last edited by Kidgenie; 04-25-2012, 02:49 AM.

Comment

The Unofficial Guide to WDW is indispensable. It does a great job of setting the "tone" of WDW - yes, you need to do a lot more planning, but there is also a lot to see. I think I found the restaurant reviews the most helpful. There are so many at WDW that you really do need at least a bit of research to avoid the very average (dare I say bad) stuff.

I have been to WDW numerous times and went to DL for the first time last year, and the differences are definitely there. Transportation time takes MUCH more time at WDW than at DLR. Even if you are staying onsite, it can take 30-40 minutes to get to a park. If you are planning on doing meals at the resorts/parks in the evening I would budget for a cab rides. We have stayed onsite and still used a cab because it can be so much more quicker and direct than bus or shuttle transport.

I won't talk ad naseum here, because I'm sure others have hit most points. Only other piece of advice I have is don't sell Animal Kingdom short. I've heard people say it's too hot, not a full day park, etc... On the contrary, because the park closes at 5:00 or so we always run out of time. There are so many unique attractions here that are worth your time!
                                    “Walt Disney is a thing, an image that people have . . . I drink and I smoke and there are a lot of other things I do that don’t fit that image. But that image stands for something, and you don’t have to explain to people what it means.”Walt Disney

Follow me on Twitter at WaltsMartini for Disney Happy Hour at any hour!

Comment

Working...
                                    X