This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] The Issue of Overpricing

A Micechatter wrote this response to today's Samland article about Knott's Berry Farm, a nice theme park five miles west of Disneyland in Buena park, California:

"I grew up going to Knott's (remember feeding the seals?) and was a season pass holder for many years. I have attended all but one Halloween Haunt in it's 40+ years. Unfortunately on my visit last October, I had one of the worst chicken dinner meals ever (the chicken was dry, the waitress inattentive, and the price was outrageous). It got worse inside the park when I ordered a Berry punch and was charged $4.25 for a regular sized drink (not even a large!). Knott's is now tainted to me and I have no desire to return."

Now I love Knott's and I think its Season Pass (which can last for over three seasons!) is the best theme park value in Southern California, but I've identified with this reaction on at least two occasions. A few years ago I got surprisingly worked up about the initial prices for Disneyland's Big Thunder BBQ. (
    Due to empty seats--in Anahiem we can exit the park and eat at many places across the street from the park--Disneyland later lowered some of the prices there. Yay capitalist competition!) And about 15 years ago, I had a similar reaction at Walt Disney World when I saw a ridiculous price on a very small box of Cheerios at a resort store, so I could certainly relate to the person above who had "no desire to return" to Knott's.

When I saw the price on those Cheerios I had a depressing epiphany: I thought Disney was trying to rip me off! I lost some of my great faith in Disney.

Five-star hotels get away with overpricing many things for their wealthy customers, but this cereal price seriously upset me, and overpricing angers many middle-class Americans, Disney's main audience.

I have a friend who skipped meals at WDW out of principle, like it was a sinful waste of money to pay that much for certain things. What I'm curious about are people who have had unusually strong reactions to WDW prices, particularly for food. I'm talkin' OVERreactions.

Have you or do you know of any friends, co-workers, or family members ever gotten really annoyed with Walt Disney World prices to the point where they didn't want to return or went to unusual lengths to avoid Disney's food prices?
    Last edited by jcruise86; 04-26-2012, 12:19 PM.

Re: The Issue of Overpricing

Its how they stay in buisness , same as the $4 coke and popcorn at the movies. they need to generate revenu some where , I figure with how many time I go to the park I only pay about $5 to get in the park. they have to pay tons of bills for you to enjoy that....example , employees , power , water , fireworks.... the firework alone are $10,000 per show ( I saw a video a while ago) I dont mind the prices I just figure it is what it is and have my fun
    Im here for fun and info not be a bully! Carsland here I come:yea:

Comment

It's not like this is a new concept. it happens at every tourist destination, museum, sporting event, airport ect. out there. Purely the concept of supply and demand, when there's only one supplier in a confined area you cant leave they can charge within reason whatever they choose. this just seems like the post was put out there to cause a stir.

Comment

Howdy Jcruise86,

Well, it's good to know that I am not the onliest one left in the world who hasn't won the lottery yet. I wondered if there was anyone left out thar in the real world who noticed that the prices at Walt Disney World, in general, are way, way, way out of line...

It starts with those hotels, of course...two, three, and four hundred dollars a night? Just out that gate over there you can find a very nice hotel and stay FOR THREE WEEKS for the exact same price it costs to stay three days at a deluxe Disney Hotel!

And, uh, $14 a day for parking? For that price...shouldn't they throw in a complimentary car wash and oil change? Seriously...visit 5 days...and you've spent $70 on parking alone!

Eight or nine dollars for a hot dog? Two or three dollars for an ice cream bar? Two or three dollars for a coke?

My problem is that I have lived too long...and I remember things. I remember those days when you could wander into the Golden Horseshoe over at Disneyland and get a LARGE Pepsi for 25 cents! And, while you were sippin' on your Pepsi you got the most fun filled, rip snortenest show in the whole park...for free. I remember those days when we never felt we were being ripped off at Disneyland. Nope. Back in those days we felt that any profit that Disneyland made...well, Walt was just gonna use that to create somethin' new and wonderful for our next visit. That was a good feelin'...yessir, a downright good feelin'...

These days...things sure are different.

A lotta folks are beginnin' to see the light...they are not stayin' ON PROPERTY anymore...they are eating only one light meal in the park, if any...and they are buyin' groceries not in Disney Hotel stores but at Walmart just a couple miles down 192. Did you know you could buy a DOZEN cookies at WALMART for just $2.00?

Nope...for those of us who haven't won the lottery yet...those prices at Disney have been way out of control now for some time.

But, there are a lotta rich folks up there in New York City...and, they fly down all the time with their wallets out before they land. They don't mind payin' all these high prices...not one bit. So...Disney is just sayin'...we can keep all those middle class low life folks out, and charge whatever we want...and the rich folks from New York City will pay whatever price we charge. We'll charge those poor folks $85 to visit for one day...that oughta keep 'em away,,,

The "Money folks" have taken over the ol' Disney Board rooms now...that good feelin' we used to feel back in those days when Walt was still around...well, that's long, long gone. It's all about money now.
        Money, money, money. Give me, give me, give me. Step right up, rich people...right this way...

I love the Walt Disney Company that used to care about families...you know, the one that used to go out of their way to make ALL people, rich and poor, welcome and happy they came. Disney, back in those days was a thing of the heart...not a thing of the credit card...

Well, us folks who haven't won the lottery yet...us folks who don't live in New York City...we haven't got much choice. We simply can't afford to go to Disney as much as we would like...can't afford to stay long when we do go, and for some families of four a $9 hot dog and a $2.59 coke translates into $46.36
        before taxes...some families can't even dream of eatin' at the castle... where it costs $60 per person for lunch...

So...soon only folks from New York City...or folks who've won the lottery will be goin' to Walt Disney World... The rest of us would like to, and we keep tryin' to win the lottery, but...well...it's just not that easy...

So...for many of us...soon the wonders and delights of Walt Disney World will only be a fond memory from long, long ago...no longer a dream of things to come...

Reckon we'll be stayin' 'round here...not headed for Florida...say...I wonder how much we could buy for $46.36 over at Walmart this week... Why we could have ourselves one heck of a hot dog roast right here in our own backyard...mustard and ketchup and pickles and everything! And plenty of ice cold coke...we can get a whole case of the stuff over at Walmart for the same price as two cups at Walt Disney World...

Adios for now. Talk to ya on down the trail.

Wild Ol' Dan

---------- Post added 04-26-2012 at 01:53 PM ----------

Howdy Pards,

My gosh...for $46.36 at Walmart not only can we buy all those hot dogs and all that hot dog stuff and all that ice cold refreshing coca-cola...we can get some strawberrys and cakes and ice cream and some Redi-whip and have strawberry shortcake for dessert! I wonder how much a strawberry shortcake would cost at Walt Disney World these days?

Adios for now. Talked to ya on down the trail.

Wild Ol' Dan
        Last edited by Wild Ol' Dan; 04-26-2012, 09:48 AM.
        "I can see the cattle grazin' o'er the hills at early morn…
        I can see the campfires smokin’ at the breaking of the dawn,
        I can hear the bronco's neighin', I can hear the cowboys sing,
        I'd like to be in Texas for the Round-up in the Spring."
        sigpic

Comment

Howdy, Dan!
          My wife is from New York City and we're not wealthy.

I do think that Walt was a true artist who made money so he could create more popular entertainment.

Trav1Disney made a great point above about Disney having to pay for those expensive fireworks.
          So here is my new attitude: suckers who pay too much are subsidizing the many incredible things Disney is entertaining me with. I'll make a game out of not paying high prices when I don't have to. For example, when we go to WDW in a couple of years (if we go), I'll have groceries delivered to my hotel room.

Goofy Donald, I really wasn't trying to create a stir here. About four or five years ago I must have had over 50 posts about the prices at the Big Thunder BBQ at Disneyland. THEN I was trying to create a stir. Now I'm just genuinely curious if any others have ever been REALLY bothered by any prices--especially over food at WDW, like my friend who skipped meals. It probably relates to why I took six psychology and a couple of sociology classes I didn't need as an English major.
          (My current "obsession" is the music in Knott's Ghost Town, but I'm only about 5% as worked up about this as I was by the BBQ prices, which I thought reflected and was part of a disrespect for America's middle class--Walt's target audience. The prices were lowered and my faith was restored, btw.)

Comment

The prices have gotten a bit out of hand...I think that Disney has gotten to the point where they have priced the average family out of a yearly trip...it has gotten to the point where they've priced me out of my random trip down for the weekend, if I intend on going to the parks at least...and to be honest with you guys I don't pay for the flights, the hotel are part of my DVC membership, how soon till EVERYONE is outpriced???

Last trip I saw a guy with a AMEX Centurian Card(the famous Black Card) where there is no limit and you HAVE TO SPEND MINIMUM $250,000 PER YEAR cringe when he saw how much he was about to spend on lunch for his family of 4,if he was mad about the prices how soon till everyone says enough is enough Disney?
            The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
            -George S. Patton

Comment

I agree with the prices are high too. I go to wdw for a 14-20 day trip once a year after new years and the first place we go after we check in is target. We usually will only eat one meal in the park during the day then the rest are out of the resort. I was just saying I see the reason for the high prices dosent mean I pay them :bow:. I am middle - upper class too so I try not to jump in with my wallet dumping cash left and right
              Im here for fun and info not be a bully! Carsland here I come:yea:

Comment

Howdy Jcruise86,

Howdy, Dan!
                My wife is from New York City and we're not wealthy.

Well...I spose...as long as you folks don't buy Salsa made in New York City...

If all these rich folks ain't comin' from New York City...then, where 'xactly are they comin' from? Is it Boston? Philly? It's gotta be somewheres up thar in the Northeast somewheres...it sure ain't from down here in the South!

All kidding aside... I think we are in total agreement about Walt Disney and his philosophy of life...and
                it don't take a rocket scientist to figure out that the prices at Walt Disney World these days are kinda out of control you might say. Way out of control.

But, lots of folks are lookin' for cheaper ways to visit Disney World...they bring sandwiches squirreled away in their bags and things...instead of payin eight or nine dollars for a hamburger or a turkey leg...

They are stayin' off property...cause Disney's least expensive hotel is generally way too expensive for a family these days...

Ya know, I visited New York City once...went to one of them big city Broadway shows too. Folks were always sayin' that those neon lights were bright on Broadway...so I figured I had to find out for myself...yep, turns out those neon lights were bright...but a couple things they just didn't seem to have in New York City though was parking spaces and restrooms...but I've heard that there sure are a lotta rich folks in that city...why, I heard that they charge ya just to look in the winders of those shops over on 5th Avenue... Course I didn't go over there...I was too busy tryin' to find a parkin' space...

Strange too, how most of the cars in that town are painted yellow...or leastwise they were when I visited...a few years back...

Well, I gotta go out and water the horses...

Wild Ol' Dan

sigpic

Comment

ORGOCH: 'Course Dizzyland an' Walt Dizzy Whirl is too expensive ta eat at! That's why I gits all my grub off the banks a Tom Sawdust Island! Florida's got the biggest 'n best bullfrogs this side a Morva! 'Sides that, none a them rest'raunts got a thing worth puttin' in yer mouth ta begin with! Even the drinks they got cain't hold a candle next the witch's brew I always got inside my cauldron! So I says give up them over-priced meals and do what I does! Hunt down yer own food at the parks!!

Comment

Howdy Witches of Morva,

Well, I was gonna suggest that you ladies may wanna visit Hogsmeade over thar at Universal, but, my gosh, turns out that chocolate frogs over there are gonna run ya anywheres tween ten and fifteen dollars... And a mug of butterbeer over there...well...you don't wanna know...

Anyways...what have you ladies got in that cauldron of yours? I've been kinda wondering why there haven't been quite as many frogs out there on Tom Sawdust Island as there used to be...

Wild Ol' Dan
                    sigpic

Comment

The price of getting inside of Knotts is way too low. They must be thinking let em' get in cheaply and let's make what we can off of food and drink.

Comment

Supply and demand. Simple basics - if enough people stop demanding and paying the price, then the prices will drop to the level that people will be willing to pay.

The price of food & passes keeps going up because people keep paying. Knotts on the other hand has been dropping pass prices...Why? In my opinion because the quality of the park has gotten so bad, that no-one is showing up.
                        Hidden Mickey - Tower of Terror

Hidden Mickey's here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup...7623565921220/
                        Check out my Wal't Apartment tour here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup/sets/72157625183415995/

Comment

The prices are high because people will pay anyway. It a crummy fact of life, but that's how it is unfortunately.
                          DisneyTwins
                          Since May 2003

Comment

When I used to live in Orlando, I went to Disney a few times with out of town friends and family and we brought bag lunches. Does that count? It wasn't really out of protest, we were poor college students. It just seemed like a better idea than shelling out $8 for a hamburger.
                            It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.
                            sigpic

Comment

Last edited by mkcoastie; 04-27-2012, 04:13 AM. Reason: I can't spell worth a darn

Comment

I cant help but think that Walt would have wanted everyone to be able to experiance it.
                                Howdy Pard,

Excellent bottom line! And...very true.

Wild Ol' Dan
                                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jcruise86 View Post
                                  Goofy Donald, I really wasn't trying to create a stir here. About four or five years ago I must have had over 50 posts about the prices at the Big Thunder BBQ at Disneyland. THEN I was trying to create a stir. Now I'm just genuinely curious if any others have ever been REALLY bothered by any prices--especially over food at WDW, like my friend who skipped meals. It probably relates to why I took six psychology and a couple of sociology classes I didn't need as an English major. (My current "obsession" is the music in Knott's Ghost Town, but I'm only about 5% as worked up about this as I was by the BBQ prices, which I thought reflected and was part of a disrespect for America's middle class--Walt's target audience. The prices were lowered and my faith was restored, btw.)
                                  Fair enough, i just think its an issue EVERYWHERE and not just wdw and that's why I find it a pain. its unavoidable no matter where you go to the extent that finding a product that is sold at the price it should be sold at gives you a happy feeling inside. it should be common place not a rare treat from groceries to gas to wdw. from an aspiring English major .

Comment

There used to be a show on the travel channel that talked about how to keep down meal costs. One trick was to order tap water in countries, where you don't have to treat it.

Water is also a good way to keep down those liquid calories.

As for the cost the food, I'm okay paying more for food that doesn't have pink slime in it. I don't want to save money by eating animal scraps that have been treated with ammonia and then blended into my food to keep the costs down. There is only so far that I will go to save money, and consuming low quality food isn't one of them. I figure I'll save myself on some medical costs down the road anyway.

Comment

Now, I live a couple of hours from New York City, and my annual income is a bit below the median for my area, but the cost of eating out isn't actually much less here than it is at WDW. I'm not talking about the dinner shows or the fanciest signature meals, but what I pay for lunch at the Liberty Tree Tavern is about the same as I'd pay for a similarly-ambienced restaurant in my hometown, and there's no Haunted Mansion across the road to wash it down with. (Heck, we rarely even get free drink refills at home!)

I save money by bringing PB&J or granola bars for breakfast and carrying an aluminum water bottle. But the food at WDW is actually good, and if I don't go crazy I find a can get a good meal for a non-exorbitant price. Maybe it's just the effect of food costs going up everywhere that make it not seem so bad to me.

I do remember my father cutting our family vacation short thirty years ago after seeing the ticket prices at WDW. This was pre-Internet, and people didn't do as much advance research before a trip as they do nowadays. It was actually being let down like that as a kid that spurred me on to visit as often as I can as an adult.

Comment

For me the meals at WDW are a bit expensive. I work in mid-town Manhattan and live right outside NYC so I am used to the prices. They are not that different than what I would pay for lunch while at work. Or what we would pay when we go out to dinner.
                                        But, because of that, at work I will bring in a bagged lunch. In the same respect, while at WDW, we keep it to 1 big meal at the parks. Last time we drove down and stayed off property at a vacation home/hotels ($110 per night and it fit 7 of us) with a full kitchen so breakfast was cooked ( by me) before heading to the parks. A box of pancake mix is a lot cheaper than buying breakfast at WDW. We even made dinner there on the nghts we were back to the hotel early enough. Extreme cost savings!

There are ways to enjoy Disney without paying there high prices, but unfortunately its outside of Disney. I don't mind eating at the parks, but my wallet does
                                        Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

Comment

Working...
                                        X