Announcement

Collapse

Reminder

It is against MiceChat's rules to promote any violations of Disney's rules. Members who choose to brag about breaking Disney's rules, or who encourage others to break Disney rules, will be immediately banned. There will be no exceptions.
See more
See less

Did They mis-name the Castle?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Did They mis-name the Castle?

ORWEN: So, while stirring over a hot cauldron, recently, I got to thinking about the Fantasyland expansion inside the Magic Kingdom and was also thinking about the two new castles being built there. As I thought about the names for the two new castles--Prince Eric's Castle and Beast's Castle--I started to wonder whether or not Cinderella had the right to have a castle named after her when--if you follow the same logical reasons as to why Disney's newest castles are being named name for Eric and the Beast--shouldn't Cinderella's Castle actually be named after Prince Charming--or at least Prince Charming's father? I mean, Cinderella only came to live there after she married Prince Charming. And I know it's not the most important issue of the day. But I still throught I'd throw it out there for you ducklings to ponder over....

Re: Did They mis-name the Castle?

As of late summer, Cinderella and Prince Charming are officially separated. Good thing Disney built a castle for him. Now all they have to do now is re-route the cable going from the top of Cosmic's to the top of Cinderella's Castle to his new man-castle. Viola!
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

Comment

The Cinderella isn't possessive, so it's not necessarily hers; it could just be named after Cinderella. This also could explain why it contained King Stefen's Banquet Hall. :-)

Comment

ORGOCH: The Cindersmelly I always knew was mighty possessive! Just try 'n pry one them glass slippers away from her and you'll see how quick she smacks ya up the side a yer head!!

---------- Post added 04-27-2012 at 12:24 AM ----------

ORDDU: Changing the subject just a bit, I realize some ducklings out there would have us believe that it's improper to refer to the castle as Cinderella's Castle. But I disagree because even Walt Disney would refer to the castle in California as Sleeping Beauty's Castle. If he can get away with doing that why can't the rest of us?

ORWEN: Yeah, 'cause it's no different than saying 'Mr. Toad's Wild Ride' or 'Snow White's Scary Adventures' or Pinocchio's Daring Journey'. In every case you're talking about something that belongs to a particular character and there's supposed to be an apostrophe included when you're showing ownership.

Comment

Originally posted by Disneytwins View Post
          As of late summer, Cinderella and Prince Charming are officially separated. Good thing Disney built a castle for him. Now all they have to do now is re-route the cable going from the top of Cosmic's to the top of Cinderella's Castle to his new man-castle. Viola!

I thought Cinderella got the Castle in the divorce settlement?
          The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
          -George S. Patton

Comment

ORWEN: They're divorced? I had no idea? Who got custody of the mice?

Comment

I think it has to do with the fact that Disneyland's Castle is named the Sleeping Beauty Castle. Also there is a strange technicality with the WDW Castle; it is officially the Cinderella Castle, not Cinderella's Castle. I know that sounds silly, but maybe it makes a difference.
              sigpic WDW Cast Member August 2009 - November 2011

Comment

That's a very interesting observation. )

Comment

Originally posted by Witches of Morva View Post
                  ...even Walt Disney would refer to the castle in California as Sleeping Beauty's Castle. If he can get away with doing that why can't the rest of us?
                  Just because Walt said it doesn't make it correct. He also once referred to EPCOT as the Experimental Prototype City of Tomorrow (City, not Community). He got it wrong on camera - no big deal. The name of the castle is the name. Call it whatever you want, but it doesn't change the fact that it's the Sleeping Beauty Castle, no apostrophe, no "s".

Comment

Wait will someone please explain the whole divorce thing. Thought they lived "Happily Ever after"

Comment

Walt also called it "Snow White's Castle" on the opening day broadcast. That flub is more amazing the more you think about it.

Kevin Yee
                      MiceAge Columnist

I am the author of several Disney books:
                      Jason's Disneyland Almanac - a daily history of Disneyland
                      Walt Disney World Hidden History - tributes, homages, and ride remnants at WDW
                      Your Day at the Magic Kingdom
                      Mouse Trap
                      Tokyo Disney Made Easy
                      101 Things You Never Knew About Disneyland
                      Magic Quizdom (The Disneyland Trivia Book)

“The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” – Dan Rather

Comment

ORDDU: I don't think it was so much a flub as a change of mind. From all I've read, he did intend to call it Snow White's Castle and then Roy suggested it be changed to Sleeping Beauty's Castle to promote the upcoming movie.

ORWEN: It looks more like a castle that should belong to Princess Aurora anyway.

Comment

I just think it's typical. The prince woos the lady, makes her a princess and she returns the favor by taking all his stuff! )

Comment

Originally posted by Witches of Morva View Post
                            ORDDU: I don't think it was so much a flub as a change of mind. From all I've read, he did intend to call it Snow White's Castle and then Roy suggested it be changed to Sleeping Beauty's Castle to promote the upcoming movie.

ORWEN: It looks more like a castle that should belong to Princess Aurora anyway.
                            Well, the times are changing as should the perception of Disney castles. From what I've heard, Snow White and Sleeping Beauty have become shrewd business partners and changed the name of their property to Castle Condo Estate. In the meantime, Prince Charming is enjoying a Disney Cruise as the most happily devorced duckling ever.

---------- Post added 05-02-2012 at 04:07 PM ----------

Originally posted by KevinYee View Post
                            Walt also called it "Snow White's Castle" on the opening day broadcast. That flub is more amazing the more you think about it.

I heard that, off camera, Walt referred to his apartment as Walt's Beauty Sleep Castle.
                            Last edited by Ride Warrior; 05-02-2012, 03:08 PM.
                            To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

Comment

Working...
                            X