• bbrooke
    replied
    Re: Food = $$$

Thanks guys! I'm glad I gained so many responses. :thumbup:

Leave a comment:

• zestylemon_13
    replied

I actually worked at WDW last year, I a lot of people don't know or just don't think about things like water. Instead of paying for a bottle of water, go to a QS restaurant or someplace within the park that has a soda fountain and ask for a cup of water. In most cases, you will be given a regular sized cup of water from the soda fountain. It is great water, and can really save you some money. I was working there on their college program, so I didn't make a lot of money by any means. Just asking for water saved me tons. All of the parks will do this! In some of the other parks, the cup sizes may be different, but you can go back up and ask for refills. Also in MK, if you go to either Pecos Bills in Adventureland or Cosmic Rays in Tomorrowland, they have a little "toppings bar." At this bar they have things like onions, mushrooms, and some other items I can't think of at the moment. In these restaurants you can go up to the line person and ask for a plate. You can then get some toppings from the bar and enjoy. I know I've done this many times while in the park when I was low of cash.

Leave a comment:

• ttintagel
    replied

We've always saved with the DDP, too. We did the math. I guess if you're getting an expensive room at a Deluxe resort, and you pass up a room-only discount to get a free dining plan, it might not be a savings.

(The bottom two levels of DDP now come with a refillable mug, too.)

Leave a comment:

• goofy donald
    replied

Originally posted by PSUMark View Post
    $65 list price for a snack, QS meal, and TS meal for one person? Where were you eating??

It's also worth considering how many people would actually buy/eat everything the DDP includes if they hadn't already paid for it...
    a day at epcot last year: brought my own breakfast food (energy bar, apple and water), QS credit for sunshine seasons I ordered a pork chop (12.50), milk (2.75), and because its included and because i enjoy dessert/ on vacation so I would anyways, Strawberry shortcake (4.00). snack at Germany, Pretzel (5.00). do a lap of the WS and then make it back to Germany for dinner at biergarten, fixed price (roughly 37.50 + tip [NI]). total cost covered by ddp: $61.75 dining plan cost me in april $47.00 per day so a total savings of roughly $14.75 which with two days of savings (my next day I saved about $8) paid for all the breakfast foods and bottled water i brought for my trip of 7 days. By the end of the vacation i had enough to get myself some souvenirs. there is no $65 meal plan, current prices are $35 for QS DDP, $51.50 for REG DDP, and $85.50 for D DDP.

there are a few keys to getting the most out of this service especially with constantly increasing prices. A good point PSUMark brought up is knowing your limitations. I'm a big guy and athletic so I tend to eat a lot throughout the day and know after a full day of staying on my feet I can wolf down enough portions to make the process worthwhile. If you know your the person in the group that has a salad with the dressing on the side as your entree, its definitely not a bad thing and more power to you for being healthy, but this program will most likely not be to your benefit (or mine when I'm eating all your delicious left over desserts lol). Another step to doing well with the program is knowing where to eat. if your on the plan you have essentially been given the proverbial golden ticket so to speak, use it. on the regular ddp go to the best one ts credits you can find and order your favorite most expensive thing on the menu, be adventurous your on vacation, and its all covered and then some. when on the deluxe ddp know that your not going to have a table service meal every single day, save up some of those breakfast ones and put them towards two credit restaurants with usually higher prices and hopefully better food then use snack credits for breakfast. at the end of the day if your looking for a way to cut costs that's going to save you a drastic amount of money, your barking up the wrong tree if you follow a system properly and keep to these rules you can hope to save between 5-15 dollars a day but again it all depends on the kind of person you are and only certain people with certain metabolisms and eating habits can handle this well and still have a fun vacation while saving money.

Leave a comment:

• ORD84
    replied

$65 list price for a snack, QS meal, and TS meal for one person? Where were you eating??

It's also worth considering how many people would actually buy/eat everything the DDP includes if they hadn't already paid for it...
    Like I said I paid 45$ Feb 2011 maybe that is the DVC rate maybe??? I was eating at Kouzzina, The Wave, Marrakesh, Brown Derby, Liberty Tree, and at Le Cellier when it was still only one point...I dunno but between 4 people we would look at our reciept and it would read something like 120-160$ and we figured it out we were saving money...now if the price was 65 a day then we'd be breaking even or losing money, and I wouldn't see the point of doing it, it's almost too constrictive, but I do like the convenience of having the food and tickets paid for before you go allows me to spread out the costs of the trip more...

Your right though if the DDP didn't automatically tack on a dessert, than we wouldn't have eaten it...at the QS I found the large drink welcome, but I never once ate the dessert seemed wasteful in that sense..

Leave a comment:

• PSUMark
    replied

Originally posted by ORD84 View Post
    Everytime I've eaten with the DDP I've ended up saving, I find it unusual that most people end up losing out, at 45$ a day(what it was the last time I went) for an adult for the 1 QS 1 snack and 1 TS plan, I ended up saving about 20$ per day...maybe it's the restuarants that I eat at I dunno...and that 20$ added up to about 140$ at the end of 7 days, which we used to go to universal and see Harry Potter...

Leave a comment:

• Medd63
    replied

Try www.allears.net I believe they have current menus and prices for all of the restaraunts

My wife and I will also split meals at counter service restaraunts. For example two people can eat very well at the Plaza Inn in DL for the price of 1.

Leave a comment:

• ORD84
    replied

It's great this worked for you but this is generally not the case. As a general rule, you will end up paying MORE with the DDP and not less. The math has been demonstrated over and over again on numerous Disney web sites (Kevin did a feature on this here a few months ago). The DDP should be viewed as a convenience that you pay a slight premium for, not a means of saving money - in most cases, you won't.
    Everytime I've eaten with the DDP I've ended up saving, I find it unusual that most people end up losing out, at 45$ a day(what it was the last time I went) for an adult for the 1 QS 1 snack and 1 TS plan, I ended up saving about 20$ per day...maybe it's the restuarants that I eat at I dunno...and that 20$ added up to about 140$ at the end of 7 days, which we used to go to universal and see Harry Potter...

Leave a comment:

• PSUMark
    replied

Originally posted by disneylandguru View Post
    My wife and I went last year and faced the same dilema. After researching the restaurants we wanted to eat at we decided to purchase the quick service dining plan. We were very pleased. We calculated what we would have paid vs. What the plan was. We figured we saved about $120 a piece.
    It's great this worked for you but this is generally not the case. As a general rule, you will end up paying MORE with the DDP and not less. The math has been demonstrated over and over again on numerous Disney web sites (Kevin did a feature on this here a few months ago). The DDP should be viewed as a convenience that you pay a slight premium for, not a means of saving money - in most cases, you won't.

Leave a comment:

• yoda1138777
    replied

I'm always a sucker for staying in the parks and eating unless I'm at downtown Disney in CA, for me it becomes a question of do I want to walk far to save money or stick around and just remind myself it's a vacation

Disney World Restaurants | Walt Disney World Resort

Leave a comment:

• DancinBelle
    replied

Quick-service restaurants will allow you to order from the kid's menu, but table-service will not.

Leave a comment:

• disneylandguru
    replied
    My wife and I went last year and faced the same dilema. After researching the restaurants we wanted to eat at we decided to purchase the quick service dining plan. We were very pleased. We calculated what we would have paid vs. What the plan was. We figured we saved about $120 a piece.

Leave a comment:

• Starshyne
    replied

McDonald's never says anything when I order a Happy Meal, but there are many resturants around here (not fast food) that will not allow you to order from the kid's menu. My Grandma is on a very strict diet due to an illness and does not eat very much. She is 86 years old and wanted an item on a kid's menu. The manager had to come out and basically scolded the old woman for trying to order from a kid's menu.

The truth is that I am on a diet (42 pounds lost since Jan 1) and I was trying really hard while I at WDW to keep on my weight-loss plan. If I had realized that no one would have said anything, I would have ordered from the kid's menu for sure to get smaller portions instead of throwing out some of what I had ordered. Oh well...I still lost 2 pounds while at WDW! Now I know better.

Leave a comment:

• WaltsMartini
    replied

Beverages and snacks add up, and you can bring both of these with you. We took brita water bottles and granola bars and fruit snacks, and then did quick service rather than table service.

I agree with the others - food prices are pretty comparable. Alcohol will really set you back, so if you like to have a glass or wine - or several - at dinner like we do, than start saving those pennies!

Leave a comment:

• ORD84
    replied
    Originally posted by Starshyne:1056747904
    Can you ordder a kid's meal if you don't have a kid? I was at the Electric Umbrella and was wanting to order that mac n cheese, but since I am 35 years old I figured they would frown upon me ording off the kid's menu.
    I've never seen them question this because of the fact that NOBODY does...my gf almost ALWAYS restaurants, McDonalds, it doesn't matter, orders the kids meals she likes the portions better...other than running out of options after a few days I don't see a problem arising from this...

Leave a comment:

• thedude76
    replied

Originally posted by Starshyne View Post
    Can you ordder a kid's meal if you don't have a kid? I was at the Electric Umbrella and was wanting to order that mac n cheese, but since I am 35 years old I figured they would frown upon me ording off the kid's menu.
    I know a lot of folks that will order kid's meals because the portion sizes are more reasonable. If they question it, just tell them that you're on a diet

Leave a comment:

• Starshyne
    replied

Leave a comment:

• thedude76
    replied

I got by on $50 a day per person by going with water instead of a beverage. This resulted in one pastry for breakfast, a sit down lunch, and a sit down dinner.

Leave a comment:

• TONY THE BEAT
    replied

I'm going in 3 weeks. I used this to plan an estimate on how much to budget. Restaurant Dining Menus from Walt Disney World

Leave a comment:

• jcruise86
    replied

There are companies such as Garden Grocer that will deliver food, water bottles, etc to your hotel. I've read that there is a $40 minimum and a $12 delivery charge. Althouth I've loved Walt Disney World in the past, I've resented feeling slightly captive to their food prices, so if we take Magical Express instead of renting a car, we'll probably do this and use Disney Visa dollars to pay for some meals at sit down restaurants.

I've read that the Swan won't accept food deliveries so check with your hotel before, and services cannot legally deliver any alcohol.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X