Announcement

Collapse

Reminder

It is against MiceChat's rules to promote any violations of Disney's rules. Members who choose to brag about breaking Disney's rules, or who encourage others to break Disney rules, will be immediately banned. There will be no exceptions.
See more
See less

DL Vets head to WDW for a quick two days at Magic Kingdom and got to be Grand Marshal

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trip Report DL Vets head to WDW for a quick two days at Magic Kingdom and got to be Grand Marshal

My partner has to go to a convention in Orlando every other year for work, and despite the fact that we're diehard Disneyland fans, it's still a Disney park and with the chance to save some money and spend a few days at Magic Kingdom it's a no brainer to go. We're not as keen on dealing with long bus rides everywhere and with only a couple days, we kept our trip strictly to Magic Kingdom, our favorite East Coast park.

Walt Disney World 2012 by DallasDisneyDork, on Flick

We started our morning early as usual and since we're not familiar with the park as we are DL, we spent a lot of our time that first morning wandering around, getting acclimated. We did our normal routine by grabbing some coffee and headed Chapeau's to buy some ears. We wear a different set of ears every day.

We typically wear ears, pins/lanyard and a disney shirt when we go to the parks. Often we'll wear our Disneydork tshirts. I can't tell you how many times we were told one Halloween trip, that everyone LOVED our costumes! Um, we wear this to the park every day, any time of the year. LOL Yes, two grown men, acting like kids.

We got our first set of vintage styled Mouseketeer ears and immediately came out to snap a photo. While standing there, snapping away, an older gentleman CM came up and asked about my Disneydork tshirt. We proceeded to chat for quite a while, talking about our daily routines of buying ears, etc. We talked about our love of all things Disney and how we typically go to Disneyland, but were making our only 2nd trip to WDW. Then he said, "I would be honored to have you both as Grand Marshal's in today's 3pm parade!". We were dumbfounded. I guess two grown men dressing like 10 year olds and acting like kids, gets peoples attention. Before you know it, we had our instructions, exchanged numbers and had a permanent grin on our face the rest of the day until the parade.

Walt Disney World 2012 by DallasDisneyDork, on Flickr

I spend most of my time snapping tons of photo's, while my partner spends most of his time way ahead of me and having to turn around to find me to see where I am. Here are just some photo's taken throughout the morning until we had to head down to the parade gate to be GM's for the parade.

I love it when areas of the park are empty:

A quick little show:

Only draw back is when the parks are full of scrims to cover up construction, but it's always a good sign that Disney is keeping the park looking fresh. Just makes for some poor photo opportunities.

It was a very cloudy day with a 100% chance of rain and thunderstorms, for both saturday and sunday. We didn't let this dampen our spirits. We can still have fun in the park even when it rains. But it was possible it was going to cancel our chance to be GM's in the parade, so we kept watching the clouds closely. Luckily, the CM said that if it didn't work out today, we would be slated for it the next day again.

We took a ride on the People Mover. One of the joys of going to WDW over DL. I just wish DL would somehow get theirs back. I miss this ride. I swear we rode it about 6 times in two days:

Disney crocs are ugly as sin, but they're like crack for feet.

I swear out of the 600 photo's I took in two days that 200 of them were of the castle:

Always enjoy the Tiki Room. So glad to see it back closer to the original:

No WDW trip is complete without checking out the bears:

The cloudiness that day actually made it nice taking photo's and a 70 degree day in Florida is like an answer to prayer. lol

Always a park favorite:

With it cloudy and a chance of rain, few characters were out, but we did get the chance to see Donald and also Mickey and Minney on mainstreet.

Then the time arrived to be in the parade.

---------- Post added 05-03-2012 at 10:51 AM ----------

We headed to the parade gate back by Splash Mountain. Right on time, they brought us back stage and immediately told us no photos. Dang. We were handed certificates and ears, which we could have our names or whatever added at any of the stores, plus a free 8x10 of us in the parade. We felt honored, because the CM told us and the other couple who were GM's (there's always four?) that this was his last day and last parade, as he is retiring. He got so teary eyed talking about it and made it even that much more special to us to be chosen.

We sat in the car and then he allowed us to take pics. Many characters came up to say Hi to us.

An experience we'll never forget. Thirty minutes of waving at everyone, grinning from ear to ear.

Our happiness just continued throughout the day and were constantly recognized by people, asking us if we were the guys in the parade.

Since they let you out by the entrance of the gate, we had front row seats to the parade:

More castle shots of course:

Storm clouds were getting black and wind was picking up. We snapped a quick pic while on the train and got off at the mainstreet train station and decided to wait out the storm, which was about to hit at any moment.

Eventually it did pour like crazy so we just sat there for about 30 minutes and waited it out. Luckily, despite the forecast to rain heavy all day, the storm was over quickly and that was it. It sprinkled lightly a couple times throughout the weekend, but not enough warranting wearing those silly looking poncho's. I mean, how do you wear your ears?

Few more castle shots before some nighttime photos? Ok, I have plenty of those:

---------- Post added 05-03-2012 at 10:51 AM ----------

---------- Post added 05-03-2012 at 10:53 AM ----------

Then it came time for our favorite parade, Mainstreet Electrical Parade. When are y'all sending it back to Disneyland?

I can't get enough of this parade:

Although it wasn't viewed from the front, Magic, Memories and You, provided some great shots of the Castle:

We were able to move around and get sort of a decent place to stand for Wishes. Sorry, more Castle shots.

All the smoke from the fireworks created a lot of haze all over the park:

---------- Post added 05-03-2012 at 10:53 AM ----------

---------- Post added 05-03-2012 at 10:55 AM ----------

It was a really great couple of days and we were able to ride every attraction with the exception of TMRR which was down and Space Mountain which seemed to be temporarily down every time we tried to ride. That's a lot to accomplish in one day, but we did it. I'll close with just a few more favorite shots from the two days at MK.

Hope you enjoyed the report!

She said, "Oooo, a man sandwich" She cracked us up

A lady walked by and literally grabbed my camera to take our picture for us.

While waiting by the restroom, looked up and saw a perfectly frame photo opportunity. Yes, again of the castle.

Hope you all enjoyed the trip/photo report

---------- Post added 05-03-2012 at 10:57 AM ----------

Last edited by zeitzeuge; 05-03-2012, 09:34 AM.

Re: DL Vets head to WDW for a quick two days at Magic Kingdom and got to be Grand Mar

Nice trip report! Glad you guys had fun. I love the photo of the castle with the tree next and over it. Very beautiful! I am going to have to try and take a similar shot in August when I go I like the ears tradition and so jealous that you got chosen for the parade. What a fantastic opportunity!
    Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

Comment

Re: DL Vets head to WDW for a quick two days at Magic Kingdom and got to be Grand Mar

Glad you had a great time! What kind of camera were you using, those Tiki room and Electrical Parade pictures are excellent!!
      sigpic WDW Cast Member August 2009 - November 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Mouse princess View Post
        Nice trip report! Glad you guys had fun. I love the photo of the castle with the tree next and over it. Very beautiful! I am going to have to try and take a similar shot in August when I go I like the ears tradition and so jealous that you got chosen for the parade. What a fantastic opportunity!
        Thank you! We were so surprised to be asked and something we'll never forget that's for sure.

Originally posted by DancinBelle View Post
        Glad you had a great time! What kind of camera were you using, those Tiki room and Electrical Parade pictures are excellent!!
        Thanks DancinBelle! We use a simple point and shoot camera, a Canon PowerShot ELPH 300HS. Great camera with tons of settings for various types of photo's. First time using it at the parks and was surprised at how great the nighttime, or inside photo's turned out, as long as you held pretty steady.

Comment

Ok, first of all, you two rule. Love the hats, the shirts, the smiles. So happy you got chosen to be grand marshalls!! What a way to do MK!

Quick question, where oh where did you get the Disneydork shirt? I love it! And also, the classic mouseketeer ears--- is that something they are now selling at the parks? I have to get my hands on a pair. I have seen the classic style sold before, but in a box and it was more of a collectible. How much were the ears? (I'm a bit of an ear nut myself!)

THANKS!!

Comment

Originally posted by tofubeast View Post
            Ok, first of all, you two rule. Love the hats, the shirts, the smiles. So happy you got chosen to be grand marshalls!! What a way to do MK!

Quick question, where oh where did you get the Disneydork shirt? I love it! And also, the classic mouseketeer ears--- is that something they are now selling at the parks? I have to get my hands on a pair. I have seen the classic style sold before, but in a box and it was more of a collectible. How much were the ears? (I'm a bit of an ear nut myself!)

THANKS!!
            Thanks Tofubeast!

The Disneydork shirts we made ourselves. We're both artist and also have come graphic design background, we we decided to make them one trip and they were an instant hit. lol We get asked a lot about them when we're at the parks, asking what store we bought them at.

The vintage ears are sold at the parks now. Easy to miss as they're usually right next to the generic black ones. I think for two, with our names was like 37 total. We now have about 30 sets of ears.

Comment

Do you sell your awesome Disneydork shirts? You should have a store. Nice design.

I have ears that I 'bedazzled' with real swarovski crystals (nearly 1k of them--took days to make). I get stopped a lot when I wear them too. Like I said, I love my ears too. You have me beat with 30 sets though. hehe. I am definitely going to get the vintage style next trip.

Comment

Originally posted by tofubeast View Post
                Do you sell your awesome Disneydork shirts? You should have a store. Nice design.

I have ears that I 'bedazzled' with real swarovski crystals (nearly 1k of them--took days to make). I get stopped a lot when I wear them too. Like I said, I love my ears too. You have me beat with 30 sets though. hehe. I am definitely going to get the vintage style next trip.
                We've made a few for friends. We have no way of putting them out anywhere like cafe press or zazzle, since it has the word "disney" on it, so it gets rejected. We have our own heat press to make the shirts.

Comment

Nice trip report. I, too, love your Disney Dork shirt. It's like it was made with me in mind!
                  http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
                  http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ip-report.html
                  http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...something.html

No matter where you go, there you are.

Comment

Nice trip report, it really looks like you two had a blast...and the Parade GM just was like icing on the cake...

Love your photos too, cloudy days often make the most interesting and beautiful photos.
                    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
                    -George S. Patton

Comment

Originally posted by sbk1234 View Post
                      Nice trip report. I, too, love your Disney Dork shirt. It's like it was made with me in mind!
                      Thank you! The Dork shirts are always a big hit. lol

---------- Post added 05-05-2012 at 08:08 AM ----------

Originally posted by ORD84 View Post
                      Nice trip report, it really looks like you two had a blast...and the Parade GM just was like icing on the cake...

Love your photos too, cloudy days often make the most interesting and beautiful photos.
                      Being GM's on our first day there really made it the perfect weekend. What an experience.

Comment

Working...
                      X