Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] 1 Day, 1 Park....Which one?

I plan to surprise the family with a quick trip to one of the parks while we are in Florida. MK is off the list as we will be going to California for the real deal. Kids are 6 and 11. Help me pick one park!

Re: 1 Day, 1 Park....Which one?

Universal Studios Islands of Adventure :P

Comment

That might be un possible. I would likely burst into flame or my soul tormented for foresaking Disney.

Comment

If you've decided against MK already, I'd say Epcot
        sigpic WDW Cast Member August 2009 - November 2011

Comment

The only two options for me would be Animal Kingdom or Universal's Islands of Adventure because they both are very unique experiences from Disneyland and have big attractions for a whole family.

Epcot- Test Track is closed and Soarin is in California. If I only had one day the rest of Future World and World Showcase would not be must see. Illuminations (the fireworks), The Seas (the aquarium) and Spaceship Earth are wow factors though, and you could have a great sit down meal.

Hollywood Studios- There's Star Tours, Toy Story Mania, Muppetvision, Tower of Terror and Fantasmic all of which are in Disneyland. That leaves 2 stunt shows and Rock n' Rollercoaster which your kids might be too young for and a few smaller attractions that are easy to miss.

Animal Kingdom would give you the safari, Expedition Everest, Kali River Rapids, and Dinosaur, plus animal exibits and Flame Tree BBQ, one of the best counter service restaurants. Oh and they have a cool parade with huge animal puppets, Epcot doesn't have one and the one at the studios sucks.

Islands of Adventure has Spiderman, Jurassic Park, Harry Potter, a log flume, a river rapids ride, a Dr. Suess area, a stunt show plus two amazing coasters (again, not sure if your kids would ride them).

The more I think about it the harder of a decision it is haha, I don't think you can go too wrong with any of them honestly. Sounds like a cool idea, have a great time!
          Last edited by theeighthpassenger; 05-03-2012, 03:18 PM.

Comment

Epcot is the biggest and will give you the most bang for your buck as far as a one day visit goes.

Animal Kingdom is unique and worth considering as well.

Islands of Adventure would be good as well.
            My Micechat cruise trip report, Part 1:http://micechat.com/14795-disney-wonder/

Comment

Epcot would be my choice. But it really depends what you are looking for. Epcot has test track down currently as stated above. And when you come out here to DLR you can ride Soarin. It's not very kid friendly IMO either so that would weigh in your decision I am sure. Epcot has the best offerings for food if that is your highest prioirty.

I would choose Animal Kingdom even though I do not believe it to be a one day park. You get animals which kids love, good shows (especially the bird one) and a section devoted to Dinosaurs! Also my favorite attraction in the whole resort Expidition Everest! If you do everything in AK you could stretch to a one day opark I suppose. I would pretty much not even consider DHS.
              These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
              My company had a special night at the park
              WdW trip report with WWoHP
              NYE 2011 trip report
              Mice Chat 7th anniversary
              Leap year 24 hour report
              New DCA trip report
              NYE 2012
              HKDL trip report

Comment

Howdy Pards,

Well...even though I was planning on visiting Disneyland...I personally would pick the Magic Kingdom in Walt Disney World...it truely is a Magic Kingdom you know?

Epcot would be my second choice.

Disney's Hollywood Studios third.

And, Animal Kingdom fourth.

Let me say, though, that Hogsmeade...if you are a Harry Potter fan...is simply not to be missed...chocolate frogs, Bertie Botts Every Flavor Beans, Butterbeer, Pumpkin Juice, your own wand from Ollivanders, Makers of Fine Wands since 382 BC...plus Hogwarts itself...and delightful wizarding details everywhere you turn... Did you ever imagine you could stand in the Defense Against the Dark Arts Classroom and watch Ron Weasley make it snow? Did you ever imagine you could fly off to the
                Quidditch Pitch with Harry and Ron? When was the last time you bowed to a Hippogriff?

Adios for now. Talk to ya on down the trail.

Wild Ol' Dan
                "I can see the cattle grazin' o'er the hills at early morn…
                I can see the campfires smokin’ at the breaking of the dawn,
                I can hear the bronco's neighin', I can hear the cowboys sing,
                I'd like to be in Texas for the Round-up in the Spring."
                sigpic

Comment

I have to say islands of adventure. Your kids will have an amazing time there.
                  Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

Comment

I love universal but I have to go Disney and say Hollywood studios
                    Im here for fun and info not be a bully! Carsland here I come:yea:

Comment

I would say islands as well if the OP is willing to go somewhere besides Disney.
                      These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
                      My company had a special night at the park
                      WdW trip report with WWoHP
                      NYE 2011 trip report
                      Mice Chat 7th anniversary
                      Leap year 24 hour report
                      New DCA trip report
                      NYE 2012
                      HKDL trip report

Comment

I know everyone keeps saying IOA, but make sure you measure your kids before you go, Universal's height requirement tend to be much higher, and everything in Wizarding World has a height requirement. DHS also has a lot of height requirement attractions.
                        sigpic WDW Cast Member August 2009 - November 2011

Comment

For one day (and if you are going to DLR later) I would say the Animal Kingdom. Many may say that that is not a full day park - but if you schedule Dinner at the Animal Kingdom lodge afterwards it can be a full day. Looking at the savannas in AKL doevetail quite nicely with the Animal Kingdom park. And there is nothing like either of those in Disneyland.

BTW - I prefer The Magic Kingdom in California over the one in Florida, but the one in FLA is still amazing!. I would actually pick that first (over Animal Kingdom), but you said you ruled it out.

You will have a great time wherever you go.

Comment

I would say EPCOT. It may have a couple attractions down at the moment, but WS is awesome. Illuminations is very cool. And FW will still have activities etc that your little ones will enjoy.

Perhaps because I grew up in Socal w/ DL as my home park (and even though I might get shot for saying this) --- EPCOT = WDW for me.

Comment

With TestTrack down, I would probably pick AK. Otherwise, I too would have suggested Epcot. Biggest park, biggest variety of things to do. The one thing going for Hollywood Studios is that a) it has the best nighttime show, Fantasmic and b) it has my favorite ride, Toy Story Mania.

Comment

Epcot or Islands of Adventure.

Comment

Epcot would be my choice. It is my favorite park and the kids always have a great time there. We were there last October with 10 year old, 8 year old, 5 year old and 2 year old and they all had a great time. They all liked the KidCot statiions around the world and the Kim Possible Adventure (not sure when it is cutting over to Perry ). Even though not thrill rides, but the Norway ride, Mexico ride are fun for the kids as well.
                                  Fratsor Sister - Delta Mu Chi Alpha

ΔΜΧΑ

Comment

Originally posted by rellinge View Post
                                    With TestTrack down, I would probably pick AK. Otherwise, I too would have suggested Epcot. Biggest park, biggest variety of things to do. The one thing going for Hollywood Studios is that a) it has the best nighttime show, Fantasmic and b) it has my favorite ride, Toy Story Mania.
                                    Very true - but both of those are also in California (where the original poster said they would be going) and Fantasmic is much better in DLR.

Comment

If we were only travelling with the 11 year old IOA would be given more consideration. With the 6 year old though we would be splitting the group and he would miss out on some stuff because of height requirements. I believe there were only two or three attractions in the Disney parks that he would be below the bar on.

Looking at the feedback here it appears it will come down to Epcot and AK. We always seem to half day AK because we do it on our departure day or split it with a water park. The last trip we spent a little more time, but still felt we missed a lot of the shows. Epcot I know we could easily spend another day in and still want more. I'll present the pros and cons to the family this weekend and see if we can come to a decision. Keep throwing stuff out there though. The information is appreciated.

Comment

Wow - for some reason in my brain (probably because I was answering another thread) I was thinking it was going to be your first time at WDW. Sounds like you are already an old pro!

Comment

Working...
                                        X