This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Tinkerbell's flight at MK

I've read a bit about through the years about Tinkerbells appearance at Disneyland. But very little about her nightly flight at the MK.. more specifically I was curious about where and how she landed, at DL it is know that she literally crashes into a mattress held by couple of people in a small tower in Fantasyland and that the original performer was Tiny Kline , a famous retired circus performer.

Only info I've ever read about WDW was that she didn't start appearing till 1985. It has always been a highlight to my day at MK so Id love to know little more about it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwwdFhJWDK0

Re: Tinkerbell's flight at MK

I believe she flies on a wire (as a sort of zipline) that hangs from the top of Cinderella's Castle to the top of Space Mountain. You can see the wire during the day most of the time.

Comment

From what I have heard, the mattress is the way to go in WDW too, only she land in Tomorrowland. Tink also has a small handbrake to slow down first.
      sigpic WDW Cast Member August 2009 - November 2011

Comment

I'm not sure if they still use mattresses at DL. They seem in much more control with the upgraded system.
        Last edited by Disneytwins; 05-12-2012, 06:03 AM.
        DisneyTwins
        Since May 2003

Comment

Originally posted by toonaspie View Post
          I believe she flies on a wire (as a sort of zipline) that hangs from the top of Cinderella's Castle to the top of Space Mountain. You can see the wire during the day most of the time.
          I'm almost certain she doesn't land at Space Mountain. We've watched the fireworks from the Contemporary many times, and with the hotel's proximity to Space Mountain, you can tell her wire ends waaaay closer to the castle than that. It looks to me like she lands somewhere on the roof of the Tomorrowland Terrace, or at the farthest, the roof of Stitch Great Escape's showbuilding.

Comment

She does indeed land on top of the Tomorrowland Tarrace.
            DisneyTwins
            Since May 2003

Comment

Yes she lands above the tomorrowland terrace.

There are 3 tinkerbells at WDW. 2 woman 1 man. They have to weigh 115 pounds with their gear on gear weighs 15 pounds.

For a long time tinkerbell landed on a hotel mattress, but now days there is a large gymnast mattress.

She has a hand brake that slows her down. She launches from the top spire, where one of the railings opens on a door hinge so she can launch herself.

---------- Post added 05-13-2012 at 06:48 AM ----------

Tinkerbells are equity performers and therefore are on year to year contracts.
              Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

Comment

no crashes or accidents yet??
                Disney Pin Trading

Comment

Originally posted by Disneytwins View Post
                  She does indeed land on top of the Tomorrowland Tarrace.
                  Do you mean Cosmic Ray's Starlight Cafe which used to be the Tomorrowland Terrace, or what is called the Tomorrowland Terrace now which used to be the Plaza Pavilion? Why did they make this so confusing?
                  It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.
                  sigpic

Comment

Launch point:

Landing point: in center of screen
                    sigpic

Originally posted by Phonedave
                    Well, if your parents can't teach you, maybe you can learn from a taser.

Comment

Great pics WDW Monorail.

I wonder if the people that pony up the cash for the Tomorrowland Terrace dessert party get to see a giant Tinker Bell seemingly flying right at them?

Comment

Originally posted by Dapper Dan View Post
                        Do you mean Cosmic Ray's Starlight Cafe which used to be the Tomorrowland Terrace, or what is called the Tomorrowland Terrace now which used to be the Plaza Pavilion? Why did they make this so confusing?
                        Cosmic Ray's is on the other side, next to castle. Tomorrowland Terrace has always been called Tomorrowland Terrace (to my understanding). I think Plaza Pavilion was only at Disneyland (though we have a Plaza Inn restaurant at the end of Main Street).

Comment

Originally posted by aimster View Post
                          Cosmic Ray's is on the other side, next to castle. Tomorrowland Terrace has always been called Tomorrowland Terrace (to my understanding). I think Plaza Pavilion was only at Disneyland (though we have a Plaza Inn restaurant at the end of Main Street).
                          Tomorrowland Terrace was renamed Tomorrowland Terrace Noodle Station for a few years, but was recently re-renamed.

Comment

Originally posted by MarkTwain View Post
                            Great pics WDW Monorail.

I wonder if the people that pony up the cash for the Tomorrowland Terrace dessert party get to see a giant Tinker Bell seemingly flying right at them?
                            Nope, I don't recall that
                            Good morning, son
                            In twenty years from now
                            Maybe we'll both sit down and have a few beers
                            And I can tell you 'bout today
                            And how I picked you up and everything changed
                            It was pain
                            Sunny days and rain
                            I knew you'd feel the same things...

sigpic

Comment

Sorry I haven't been back to check on my thread haven't had much time to check in lately.

Thanks everyone for all the great info especially Eric and wdwmonorail! Few years ago I took a cool pic zoomed all the way in on the balcony where she launches and when looking back at the photo was surprised to see that the railing was actually hinged.

That photo from the top of the castle is AMAZING I can only imagine how exciting (and scary) it must be to jump off that balcony in the dark with all those people down below watching!

I found it surpising that they didn't add Tink till 1985 when DL debuted her in '61 I assumed all along that Tink was part of the fireworks at MK since 1971.

Also wondering if it is possible to upgrade the zip line to something like the more sophisticated system DL has. Might not be possible since DL has about 6 wires going from Matterhorn to the tower and MK comes from a small opening on the castle. If not the same flying rig maybe the costume could be upgraded. Or maybe add other characters, DL also uses Dumbo along with Tink.

---------- Post added 05-21-2012 at 07:49 PM ----------

Originally posted by toonaspie View Post

What wire.... I never have never seen one....

You can clearly see the wire ends near the beginning of TL doesn't extend all the way across to Space Mountain. she lands on a roof out of sight of guests, I new it was near Tomorrowland Terrace but wasn't sure exactly which building it really was.
                              Last edited by Disney Magic; 05-22-2012, 05:01 AM.
                              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwwdFhJWDK0

Comment

Originally posted by aimster View Post
                                Widen Your World - The Plaza Pavilion

Finally, while I consider the Plaza Pavilion extinct it is true that its location has remained a restaurant... It became the Tomorrowland Terrace Noodle Station in 2005, taking over the name (a better one for sure) of the originalTomorrowland Terrace that turned into Cosmic Ray's Starlight Cafe in the 1990s.
                                It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X