This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] WDW Transportation

My mom has decided (very last minute) to treat the family to a trip to Walt Disney World from July 24th-August 2nd. We will be traveling on the 24th and 2nd and spending 5 days at WDW and 2 at Universal. Because we will be a group of 10, (my hubby, me , our three kids (9,5,3), my little sis, her hubby, and daughter(2), and my mom and her best friend) and my mom really wants us to be under one roof and hang out, the decision has been made to rent a vacation home in either Emerald Isle or Windsor Hills....(I have emails out to prospective home rentals already). We will be renting three cars to allow for more flexibility for each set of adults to come and go. So I am wondering once we drive and park is it easy to get to and from other parks? We will have the hopper option but unless I am driving back to the house I do not particularly want to have to drive the car to get to another park. I would like to utilise Disney transportation as much as possible. This is all of our first time there, we visit DLR frequently but the size of WDW is already overwhelming me. Any tips on getting around the parks would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Re: WDW Transportation

Originally posted by jjd View Post
    My mom has decided (very last minute) to treat the family to a trip to Walt Disney World from July 24th-August 2nd. We will be traveling on the 24th and 2nd and spending 5 days at WDW and 2 at Universal. Because we will be a group of 10, (my hubby, me , our three kids (9,5,3), my little sis, her hubby, and daughter(2), and my mom and her best friend) and my mom really wants us to be under one roof and hang out, the decision has been made to rent a vacation home in either Emerald Isle or Windsor Hills....(I have emails out to prospective home rentals already). We will be renting three cars to allow for more flexibility for each set of adults to come and go. So I am wondering once we drive and park is it easy to get to and from other parks? We will have the hopper option but unless I am driving back to the house I do not particularly want to have to drive the car to get to another park. I would like to utilise Disney transportation as much as possible. This is all of our first time there, we visit DLR frequently but the size of WDW is already overwhelming me. Any tips on getting around the parks would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

It can be done, yes. From the TCC (aka the MK parking lot) you have monorail service to MK and Epcot, direct bus to DHS an another direct bus to DAK. So going from park to park is pretty easy. Really, each park has a direct route to the other three. I may vary, sometimes it s a boat or monorail, most of the time its a bus. The advantage of getting in your car and moving yourself is that once you leave the last park you have visited for the day, you don't have to worry about transportation back. It also avoids getting stuck. Example, if you parked at DAK, and then used Disney transport to go to Epcot after DAK closes.... NP. Thats fine and dandy. Now lets say your really on a role and decide after Epcot close that MK is still open so why not go? MK closes at 11 or 12 pm.... not sure this is a Bus to DAK anymore as the park closed so many hours ago.

You can re park anytime during the day with out additional cost.

Comment

Yes, it is very easy to get from one park to the other once you have arrived. I would recommend parking at either Epcot or Hollywood Studios. These are the smallest parking lots, and it is not usually necessary to board a tram to get to the front entrance of the park. Since you're traveling with a lot of people, this will probably be easiest.

If you choose to park at Epcot, you can easily get to the Magic Kingdom by monorail. The only thing to be careful of is that monorail service occasionally does not run the entire time both parks are open. For example, if Epcot closes at 9:30 but Magic Kingdom closes at midnight, monorail service may end before Magic Kingdom closes. This usually only happens in off-season periods, but there are signs posted at the entrances of the monorail stating what time service starts and ends. If you do get stranded at the Magic Kingdom, the easiest thing to do to get back to Epcot is to take the resort monorail to the Grand Floridian and take an Epcot bus from there. When monorail service ends, the buses run later to make sure everyone gets where they need to be.
      To get to Hollywood Studios from Epcot, there's a boat ride that can be boarded right outside the International Gateway entrance to Epcot. It takes about 20 mins and stops at the Yacht and Beach Club, the Boardwalk, and the Swan and Dolphin before arriving at Hollywood Studios. It's a nice method of transportation to get off the buses for a little while, and you can get off and on at each of the resorts if you want to do a little exploring. It is also possible to walk the route that the boat takes. It's a bit of a hike, but if you have extra time to spare, the route goes straight through the Boardwalk Resort and along the river, so it's also a nice quiet getaway.
      To get to Animal Kingdom from Epcot, you have to take the bus from the bus station. It's not a long ride, but it could be combined with service to Blizzard Beach or Typhoon Lagoon on certain days, so that could add a couple minutes to your commute.

If you choose to park at Hollywood Studios, you have to take a bus to both Animal Kingdom and Magic Kingdom. You can also take the bus to Epcot or take the boat ride, as mentioned above.

All in all, it's very easy to get around once you've parked your car. Have fun!

Comment

^ I'm with Imagineer Meg. If you park hop from or to Animal Kingdom you're better off taking your own car. But as far as getting around between the other three parks you have boats and monorail. Keep in mind how long you want to stay at the park near closing time because if you park hop during the day via bus then you'll be stuck waiting in long lines at night just to get on a bus to take you back to the other park where your car is. I hope you know what I mean?

Comment

Thank you so much for the suggestions! If we use our car to park hop is it about the same amount of time to travel versus using the transportation system?

Comment

Thank you so much for the suggestions! If we use our car to park hop is it about the same amount of time to travel versus using the transportation system?

Hey additional information re: Meg's suggestion. Epcot will be closing at 9pm, unless its July 4th (10pm) or most of December where it will close at 9:30pm. The monorail will stop running at 10pm, but there is no need to detour to the resort. When the Epcot beam closes an hours after Epcot's closing time, a bus from the TCC to Epcot will replace it and remain in service until the MK express line shuts down for the night.

FYI. today I parked at Epcot. Monorail railed to MK. Then back to tCC where I hooked onto the DHS bus. Then after the Hoopla Show at DHS hooked up another bus from DHS to Epcot main entrance.

Be warned, Epcots lot is not small, but its well designed to get you from your car to the park main entrance with ease. It all really just depends on which park you want to start at, with exception for DAK. Here I agree with Toonaspie, Don't park hop from DAK. It almost always closes earliest and is the less accessible WDW park for transportation.

Comment

That is more a question of luck. Some times you could walk up to a bus stop and have a bus stop right away, other times you could just miss the bus and end up waiting for 20 minutes, by which time you likely could have made it to your car and at least a good way to your next park.

I typically prefer to just drive myself between parks as I know I will leave right away and just do not have to deal with a bus. It also gives me the chance to put any purchases in the trunk instead of carrying them on the bus and at the next park.

If I am going to park for the day it is at the Transportation and Ticket Center for the reason stated that it tends to have the longest hours so there is little worry about not being able to get back.

Comment

Working...
              X