X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Things that ruin your day at Disney

Howdy Pards,

Well, ya plan for the thing for months and months. Ya go there to find happiness, delight, and fun. Most folks go to escape the commonplace...to have wonderful, unusual, fun-filled, delightful adventures. Then what happens?

It's too hot. It looks like it might rain. It's too cold. It feels like it might snow. You get blisters on your feet. Somebody's kid is following you around crying at the very top of her lungs! The back of your ankle gets run into by a dozen strollers. You lose your sunglasses. You lose your wallet. You lose your camera or your phone. Your favorite attraction is closed for repairs. There are just plain too many people in the park, the lines are way too long. You wind up with too many things to carry. You get sunburned. You are hungry but everything costs too much. You are thirsty, but pop or even water costs $2.59 a bottle. Someone is smoking where they shouldn't be...stinking up things all around. Some parent is yelling at the top of his lungs at his kids. You step in some ice cream a kid dropped...or gum. You twist your ankle getting out of a boat. The stores are packed with people and the lines at the checkout are a mile long. Fantasyland looks like a stroller junk yard instead of a land of enchantment...and you REALLY got soaked on Splash Mountain!!!

What do you do? Well, welcome to theme park wars 101.

You need to prepare for your war well in advance...avoid the mistakes a lotta folks make...travel light...and, above all have the right gear and the right attitude.

Let's explore ways in this thread to be HAPPY and avoid the things that will ruin your day at Disney. First, you have to believe that IT IS POSSIBLE to have fun here...then, it's simply a matter of finding ways to do it.

So...theme park expert...let's hear your idea. OPERATION: BE HAPPY IN SPITE OF EVERYTHING has officially begun!!!

Adios for now. Talk to ya on down the trail.

Wild Ol' Dan
    "I can see the cattle grazin' o'er the hills at early morn…
    I can see the campfires smokin’ at the breaking of the dawn,
    I can hear the bronco's neighin', I can hear the cowboys sing,
    I'd like to be in Texas for the Round-up in the Spring."
    sigpic

Re: Things that ruin your day at Disney

My motto is, "If you don't have fun on your vacation, it's your own fault!". I believe that, and I can honestly say that all of my vacations have been successful. The Disney ones, and the non-Disney ones as well.

Attitude is a big factor. It's much easier to smile, than it is to frown. My husband accuses me of being a sour puss at home. However, when we are on vacation, he never says that. I guess taking a break from the every day things of our lives is just good for one's soul. I know that it is for mine.

I have had perfect vacations, and not-so perfect vacations, but as I said, I never had a bad one. Not so perfect things happen to us on our vacations, but how we handle it is what makes or breaks the moment. We can moan and groan about the imperfections, but it's much more fun to be creative and go with the flow.
    BarbaraAnn

Comment

Howdy Barbraann,

Good points all. I especially liked this comment:

Attitude is a big factor. It's much easier to smile, than it is to frown.
      It's kinda hard sometimes for old grouches like me to realize that most of the problems you find in a theme park are not the problem at all...it's how you are RE-ACTING to them that is the problem. You can't control the bad things that happen, but YOU ARE IN 100% CONTROL of how you react to them.

I suppose this applies not only to vacations but to life in general.

I've often been amazed at some parent's ability to completely block out the sounds of their own children. The kid could be cryin' at the top of their lungs for some completely unknown reason and the parent acts as if absolutely nothing out of the ordinary is happening. You see this all the time in theme parks...Parents simply not allowing their children to ruin their day. I find their ability to do that to be absolutely amazing especially cause those kids are now in public and ruining the day of everyone else around them...but
      those parents remain completely unaffected by the situation. The opposite, of course, is
      those parents who are constantly yelling at the top of their lungs at their kids...making more noise than the kid was to begin with...

The lesson I suppose is, if you're gonna hang around corrals where there's a mess of cows you gotta expect some loud mooin' every now and then. Taint no gettin' around it.

And if you are gonna go to a theme park you gotta expect some bawlin' kids...loud, annoying, bothersome, obnoxious. You can't control it...but YOU CAN CONTROL HOW YOU REACT TO IT. I find it best to try to get away from the sound as quickly as you can...then thank God that kid wasn't yours!

Wild Ol' Dan
      Last edited by Wild Ol' Dan; 05-27-2012, 03:55 PM.
      sigpic

Comment

My kids are adults now, and yes I have been out in public, and been witness to a young one who is having a bad day and making a lot of noise. I feel for the child, but I am thankful that it isn't my problem to solve.

Children need to be treated like people. They have their breaking points, and as a parent I sometimes want to offer advice. However, I also remember that parents need to be able to make their own decisions. I, for one was always embarassed when mine acted up in public. I tried to be prepared for things, and tried to think a situation through before I took my kids places. If I didn't think we could handle it, we didn't go.
        BarbaraAnn

Comment

http://travelreporter.files.wordpres...2/img_0908.jpg

Howdy Pards,

Ahhh....now let's talk about the HUGE stroller junk yards of Fantasyland...

One of the attractions I enjoy most in all of Walt Disney World is, I have to admit, MICKEY'S PHILHARMAGIC. To have Tinkerbell fly up and practically touch your nose is a shere delight. So, anyways, I love visitin' this attraction. But, look what is almost always out in front of it...

Another facinatin' thing about Disney is as soon as a Mom or Dad parks their stroller somewhere...anywhere...and goes into an attraction like Mickey's Philharmagic...a Disney Cast Member, who is specifically paid to do it mind you, comes along and hides that stroller somewhere 50 or a 100 yards away from where the parent parked it.

Now, naturally, this wouldn't bother me at all...I have no kids to worry about...but these
          Disney Cast Members take shere delight in lining these strollers up in such a way that you have to walk an additional mile to get around them to enter the attraction! I offer into evidence the above photo.

I wish they would put the stroller junk yard outside of Fantasyland somewhere...and require foot traffic only...but...that ain't gonna happen.

Wild Ol' Dan
          Last edited by penguinsoda; 05-27-2012, 05:36 PM. Reason: Hotlinked image
          sigpic

Comment

Tie a balloon to that stroller, and you will find it in no-time.

At least the paths are much much wider in the Magic Kingdom that is nestled near Orlando in Florida.
            BarbaraAnn

Comment

Howdy Barbaraann,

At least the paths are much much wider in the Magic Kingdom that is nestled near Orlando in Florida.
              Take another look at that photo above...the problem is...there ain't no path! Those cast members have lined the strollers up in such a way that ya gotta walk clean over to the Carousel to get to Mickey's Philharmagic. What is that, two, three miles or so?

The point is, there's gotta be a better way...or a better place to put that stroller junkyard so as not to block the flow of the huge crowds that are usually found in Fantasyland...especially when a huge theater like Mickey's Philharmagic turns 'em lose all at once.

And the balloon idea is a good one for an individual family I suppose. Looks like only one did it, though, in that photo up there...and that means all the rest will be millin' around wonderin' who stole their stroller...while grizzled ol' grouches like me simply try to make their way to the entrance of the theater. Thank Heavens Iago and Donald are in there to calm a feller's nerves some...

Ya know it's downright wonderful as you are leavin' the theater to hear the excited voices sayin' things like..."That was fun." "Flounder sat in my hand Mama!" " I almost touched Ariel's hand." Oh...it's a wonderful, truly wonderful show...something the whole family can enjoy again and again...and again.

Reckon I'm just a big ol' kid at heart...until one of those strollers hits the back of my foot...

Wild Ol' Dan
              sigpic

Comment

People stoping in groups in the middle of major walk ways
                Im here for fun and info not be a bully! Carsland here I come:yea:

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Ol' Dan View Post
                  http://travelreporter.files.wordpres...2/img_0908.jpg

Howdy Pards,

Ahhh....now let's talk about the HUGE stroller junk yards of Fantasyland...

One of the attractions I enjoy most in all of Walt Disney World is, I have to admit, MICKEY'S PHILHARMAGIC. To have Tinkerbell fly up and practically touch your nose is a shere delight. So, anyways, I love visitin' this attraction. But, look what is almost always out in front of it...

Another facinatin' thing about Disney is as soon as a Mom or Dad parks their stroller somewhere...anywhere...and goes into an attraction like Mickey's Philharmagic...a Disney Cast Member, who is specifically paid to do it mind you, comes along and hides that stroller somewhere 50 or a 100 yards away from where the parent parked it.

Now, naturally, this wouldn't bother me at all...I have no kids to worry about...but these
                  Disney Cast Members take shere delight in lining these strollers up in such a way that you have to walk an additional mile to get around them to enter the attraction! I offer into evidence the above photo.

I wish they would put the stroller junk yard outside of Fantasyland somewhere...and require foot traffic only...but...that ain't gonna happen.

Wild Ol' Dan
                  I hate the stroller parking situation in all of Disneyland! My stroller is a double(I have twins) and I know it takes up more room so I always try to park it way out of the way, but lo and behold when we exit the ride our stroller is somewhere else and usually blocked by two or three other strollers that I have to move to get mine out.

The best place for stroller parking is at DCA during the Aladdin show. They have a specific area for strollers and they don't move your stroller.
                  Disney bucket list:

Go to Club 33
                  Tour the Walt Disney Studios
                  Work for Disney

Comment

I am about to visit Disneyland for a 4 day vacation, and if perhaps I get bumped by a few strollers, or perhaps have to walk a bit out of my way, I'll most likely remember this thread.

By the way, I figure for each and every one of those strollers, it means there's a family having fun.
                    BarbaraAnn

Comment

ORDDU: The thing that always ruins my day when I'm at a Disney theme park--and I must confess this happens a lot--is when I see some gorgeous hunk in line for an attraction and I find myself becoming irresitably attracted to him--only to find out he's got a clingy wife or girlfriend who won't let me pick him up!!! How annoying this has become for me. Whatever happened to the idea of sharing????

Comment

Originally posted by Trav1Disney View Post
                        Howdy Trav1Disney,

Yes! Yes...especially over there in front of the Crystal Palace! It's as if they haven't gotta clue that there are people around 'em tryin' to go both ways...a primary trail to Adventureland or back to Main Street U.S.A..

Seems this particular problem happens more and more when there are just too many people in the park.

There used to be a time when folks were aware of what was going on around them and they did their best to stay out of other people's way... But some folks never learned that skill.

Now, in fairness, strollers are a problem over there too...blocking the pathway to begin with...and, then, like you say you get folks who stand right in the middle of the busy pathway to chat about who knows what?

Unfortunately there is no required "people skills" course for these folks to take to learn
                        the basic stuff about stayin' outta the way. And, they surely ain't focused on traffic or other people...they're focused on themselves.

Basic courtesy is not a skill taught in homes or at school these days...

About the only thing you can say is "excuse us"...and hope they get out of the way.

Wild Ol' Dan

---------- Post added 05-27-2012 at 09:05 PM ----------

Originally posted by Barbaraann View Post
                        I am about to visit Disneyland for a 4 day vacation, and if perhaps I get bumped by a few strollers, or perhaps have to walk a bit out of my way, I'll most likely remember this thread.

By the way, I figure for each and every one of those strollers, it means there's a family having fun.
                        Howdy Barbaraann,

Have a wonderful time in the Happiest Place on Earth. Remember...those other folks can't help it really...they're just people...like you say...tryin' to have fun.

Be sure to enjoy one of them citrus swirls...and tell the Good Ol' Mark Twain and Golden Horseshoe I said Hi...and that I miss 'em.

Have fun.

Wild Ol' Dan

---------- Post added 05-27-2012 at 09:10 PM ----------

Originally posted by Witches of Morva View Post
                        ORDDU: The thing that always ruins my day when I'm at a Disney theme park--and I must confess this happens a lot--is when I see some gorgeous hunk in line for an attraction and I find myself becoming irresitably attracted to him--only to find out he's got a clingy wife or girlfriend who won't let me pick him up!!! How annoying this has become for me. Whatever happened to the idea of sharing????
                        Howdy Witches of Morva,

Well...I don't know what to tell ya...'cept I reckon life is like that sometimes.

Wild Ol' Dan
                        Last edited by Wild Ol' Dan; 05-27-2012, 06:25 PM.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Trav1Disney View Post
                          I hate that too.........
                          They all pull out there cell phone calling someone and texting.........

---------- Post added 05-27-2012 at 07:55 PM ----------

I also one, that does not strollers.........
                          Last time I was at Disneyland ...I was hit 5 times in the back my legs
                          two time from the same person.......lol
                          They need to go to stroller,training class or something.......
                          Last edited by Eagleman; 05-27-2012, 06:56 PM.
                          Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

I'm also one that does not like strollers....Last time I was at Disneyland...I was hit 5 times in the back of my legs, two times from the same person....lol. They need to go to stroller training class or something...
                            Howdy Eagleman,

And...you oughta get a medal for still standin' upright after bein' hit 5 times from behind
                            by strollers! Seems just plain ol' courtesy is a thing of the past to some of these folks...

Wild Ol' Dan
                            sigpic

Comment

I broke a bone at Disney World and it didn't ruin my day.

Comment

Originally posted by Wild Ol' Dan View Post
                                Howdy Eagleman,

And...you oughta get a medal for still standin' upright after bein' hit 5 times from behind
                                by strollers! Seems just plain ol' courtesy is a thing of the past to some of these folks...

Wild Ol' Dan
                                Wild Ol' Dan...Maybe a Disney Pin......lol
                                speaking of courtesy...
                                There be some that would say they are sorry......
                                BUT .... you would have thos that does,even care !!!!!
                                Now that very upseting...........

---------- Post added 05-27-2012 at 08:23 PM ----------

Originally posted by ttintagel View Post
                                Ttintagel.......O I sorry..How did that happine...if I may ask?
                                Soaring like an EAGLE !

Comment

Originally posted by Witches of Morva View Post
                                  You and your sisters couldn't mix up a brew to help out in that situation? Heck you give my wifey a hundred dollars for some shopping and it would free me up!

As to the OP, NOTHING spoils my time in Disney. Whether on the monorail, or the boat, that first site of the castle lifts all my cares and woes away and keeps them safe until my vacation is over. Unfortunately no matter how many times I lose that claim ticket for them, those "cares and woes" always seem to catch back up to me shortly after reaching home. But while there..... there is a reason they call it the happiest place on earth!

Comment

It's very hard for me to get bothered at Disney World. I grew up going there and my parents always taught me to have fun no matter what the circumstances were. Long lines? Have a nice conversation with whoever you're with. Enjoy all the little details and intricacies of the sets and queues. Hot day? Bring some water and a spray fan. Find your favorite air conditioned attraction. Going to rain? Bring a poncho and have fun with it. Some spots of Disney World can be incredibly scenic with the rain. It also clears out a lot of people, so get out there and enjoy some free space.

Every trip is what you make of it.

Comment

Originally posted by ttintagel View Post
                                      Howdy ttintagel,

Uh...can you elaborate a little? I mean I've had fried chicken in the Magic Kingdom and in the course of eating that chicken I may have broken a bone or two as well. It was good chicken you know?

But, did you mean you broke a bone in your body? Why on earth would you do that?
                                      That does not sound particularly like fun at all. Was it an accident? Or did one of those
                                      stroller Moms sneak up behind you when you weren't looking?

Give us a detail or two...

Wild Ol' Dan

P.S. I don't usually eat chicken in the park. Usually I'm over in Pecos Bill's Tall Tale Cafe munchin' on a fully loaded cheeseburger or a Taco Salad. They've got sauteed onions and mushrooms and things in there and...oh...uh...sorry...so what bone were you talking about my dear?

---------- Post added 05-27-2012 at 11:35 PM ----------

Originally posted by Aladdin6592 View Post
                                      It's very hard for me to get bothered at Disney World. I grew up going there and my parents always taught me to have fun no matter what the circumstances were. Long lines? Have a nice conversation with whoever you're with. Enjoy all the little details and intricacies of the sets and queues. Hot day? Bring some water and a spray fan. Find your favorite air conditioned attraction. Going to rain? Bring a poncho and have fun with it. Some spots of Disney World can be incredibly scenic with the rain. It also clears out a lot of people, so get out there and enjoy some free space.

Every trip is what you make of it.
                                      Howdy Aladdin6592,

Well said...some downright good advice!

Wild Ol' Dan
                                      sigpic

Comment

I ALWAYS try to remember that life is what you make of it, and only you can choose your attitude. Only you can let others and maybe small things affect your day and good time. I constantly have to point these out to many adults, because I fight viciously for parents and for kids. There are a lot of hateful awful people out there right now that don't think kids should be allowed to go anywhere anymore, and say that parents are just the most horrible people. I tell them, I think your attitudes make you horrible people. Not the 3-year old or the parents who are trying everything possible to calm their crying children. I am SO SICK of hearing these adults on these news articles complain about children in public and the horrific comments I read about parents/kids. Saying children are ALL brats, should be locked away, parents are discusting for taking them out.. on and on. You can't group ALL people together, and you can't assume things about people and their situations either. Ugh! Oh my goodness, TERRIBLY sorry about the rant, but this just frustrates me to no end. I will ALWAYS fight for the children, when did kids and parents become the enemy? (Please understand that I would prefer minor discussion about the topic there. It's not really Disney related, and I don't want to start anything. It's just an opinion, please message me privately if there's a problem. Oh, and by this I mean starting a negative war of opinions lol)

ANYWHO, there isn't much that ruins my day at Disney. I've lost my wallet, lost glasses into the river, been pushed, runover, stepped on, had other people be rude to me, had friends being jerks while in the park, had my strollers moved, lost my boy's favorite blanket (that was a tough one, he can't sleep/nap without it), had an asthma attack in the park and had to go to the hospital for it, been horribly sunburnt, had a bad experience with the Leap Year event.. lol The list goes on and on, you can imagine after 30 years and hundreds of visits I'm sure. However, I think I'm about to have my first worst experience ever at Disneyland, and that is going to be telling my son he can no longer go on the Matterhorn because they changed the height requirement. He's only 3, and just will not understand. It's going to break my heart, and I fully plan on having Guest Services explain it to him instead. LOL!
                                        Last edited by D23Divinity; 05-27-2012, 10:12 PM.
                                        FAT KIDS UNITE!
                                        (Anyone can be a Fat Kid! You love food?, you're in!)
                                        :ap:
                                        "Curiosity killed the cat, you know.." "I know!"

Comment

Working...
                                        X