Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Chat] Beautiful Empress Lilly Riverboart becomes cheap Neon plastic Crab House

Howdy Pards,

She was designed to be the centerpiece of Downtown Disney and a tribute to MRS. WALT DISNEY herself...the big, beautiful Empress Lilly Riverboat. Remember?

Well...now it has this big red neon plastic sign on it advertizing it as a CRAB HOUSE! Gone is the glory. Gone is the beauty. Gone is the tribute to Mrs. Walt Disney. From beautiful centerpiece to commercial plastic and neon eyesore.

What were they thinking?
    Restore the beauty, the majesty, the magic, the enchantment of the EMPRESS LILLY...and get rid of that cheap red plastic neon nightmare!

Adios for now. Talk to ya on down the trail.

Wild Ol' Dan
    Last edited by NeverNeverland; 06-04-2012, 05:55 PM. Reason: hotlinked picture removed
    "I can see the cattle grazin' o'er the hills at early morn…
    I can see the campfires smokin’ at the breaking of the dawn,
    I can hear the bronco's neighin', I can hear the cowboys sing,
    I'd like to be in Texas for the Round-up in the Spring."
    sigpic

Re: Beautiful Empress Lilly Riverboart becomes cheap Neon plastic Crab House

It has been this way for decades sadly.
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

Comment

Howdy Pards,

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-4.../riverboat.jpg

Yes, twas years ago, now, when the two huge smokestacks were removed...the giant paddlewheel, the classy Empress Lilly sign on the back of the boat...and in it's place a classless red plastic neon sign advertising a Crab House was hung on the side...

Now...they may have the finest crabs...the finest seafood...on the planet earth...I don't know...I've never ate there. But I do know that what they did to the Empress Lilly Riverboat was NOT a class act in any way whatsoever! In fact it was the exact opposite.

The boat should be restored to it's original beauty...it's original glory... This tribute to MRS. WALT DISNEY should be restored in all it's original, delightful, glorious detail. You just don't hang a cheap red plastic neon sign advertizing a Crab house on a classic piece of art, or a monument to the wife of a company's founder...

It is not too late to correct this horrible mistake...it's not too late to restore this classic bit of art to it's original breathtaking beauty.

Let the Crab House hang their cheap red sign on a shack somewhere down in the Keys...or on some forgotten Florida Highway...not on the beautiful Empress Lilly...in the very center of the "Vacation Kingdom of the World."

Adios for now. Talk to ya on down the trail.

Wild Ol' Dan
      Last edited by NeverNeverland; 06-04-2012, 05:55 PM. Reason: hotlinked picture removed
      "I can see the cattle grazin' o'er the hills at early morn…
      I can see the campfires smokin’ at the breaking of the dawn,
      I can hear the bronco's neighin', I can hear the cowboys sing,
      I'd like to be in Texas for the Round-up in the Spring."
      sigpic

Comment

Can't agree with you more, Wild Ol' Dan. Of all the sad changes that were made to WDW in the '90s, this is one of the sadder ones.

FoxxFur, who runs the excellent Passport To Dreams Old & New blog, might be the foremost expert on the old Disney Village - she has a great post which includes some description of the Empress Lilly here: She wrote a much more in-depth essay on Disney Village for the book Four Decades of Magic which I highly recommend picking up if you have an interest in WDW history.
        I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
        -Walt Disney

sigpic

Comment

Working...
        X