Announcement

Collapse
See more
See less

New Photos of Dumbos circus tent (inside queue area)

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Photos of Dumbos circus tent (inside queue area)

Yeah - It looks fun for the 10 or so kids in the video. What happens when you put 200 unsupervised kids in there? And who watches out for injuries and such? And how will you find your kid among hundreds when your pager goes off? And what about the noise, potential bullies, etc..?

I was hoping for an interactive waiting area that all ages could enjoy.

Comment

Originally posted by gurgi View Post
      So many logistical issues here. The concept can work, but I wonder if it will work at the high volume a typical MK day can handle? What if your kids don't want to leave the playground? How long will Disney wait before they bump you out of line? Are there places to stand or sit if you are not a kid? Do they have a traditional queue outside for those that don't want to play on the playground? It's not really "next-gen" is it...it's just a themed playground. The only difference here is the pager concept. I also anticipate a LOT of screaming and crying in there, and it's not going to be a pleasant place to wait if you're an adult.
      Excellent points.

Comment

So many logistical issues here. The concept can work, but I wonder if it will work at the high volume a typical MK day can handle? What if your kids don't want to leave the playground? How long will Disney wait before they bump you out of line? Are there places to stand or sit if you are not a kid? Do they have a traditional queue outside for those that don't want to play on the playground? It's not really "next-gen" is it...it's just a themed playground. The only difference here is the pager concept. I also anticipate a LOT of screaming and crying in there, and it's not going to be a pleasant place to wait if you're an adult.

Logistically it could work as if you are "paged", it simply means you go to the short line upfront when you've got your part together, if this takes you a couple of minutes . . . you're still good to go if you miss the next cycle of riders. You're pager could go off, you could go grab a bite to eat and you could probably still go to the front of the line, how could they deny you? In theory you were spending 45 minutes getting your kid down from the burning building!

I think that the logistical problem will creep up when you've got a ton of people in there, they'll have to have a line to get into the virtual queue as fire regulations will state an occupancy for this building, plus to decrease injuries, they've got to police how many guests can go inside.

I envision an air conditioned line that weaved between games you could play, such as throwing rings at targets, watching clips from Dumbo where you could choose what Dumbo does next by pushing a button, or some other new high tech thing, in addition to lots of Dumbo/circus stuff to look at. The outside looks really big, the inside looks very small and sort of bare bones. No new technology here, kind of basic. The lighting is neat, but not what I'd expect for a play area where kids could easily get injured.

You know what might happen, a group of families decide to play in the play are for half and hour, ignoring their pagers, while people waiting to get inside the new queue are forced to go on the ride without going through the queue. Get some popcorn, this should be interesting!

Comment

Originally posted by Medd63 View Post
          Yeah - It looks fun for the 10 or so kids in the video. What happens when you put 200 unsupervised kids in there? And who watches out for injuries and such? And how will you find your kid among hundreds when your pager goes off? And what about the noise, potential bullies, etc..?

I was hoping for an interactive waiting area that all ages could enjoy.
          Yes! Those are all things I was thinking too, but didn't want to add more questions to my list. I will be very curious to see how this playground stands up to hordes of kids. I guess Pooh's playful spot worked...kind of, but this one is indoors, and...the kids have to be spotted and scooped up when the pager goes off. At Pooh's it was more leisurely.

---------- Post added 06-06-2012 at 04:55 PM ----------

One thing is for sure, I would NOT want to be a CM working in here!
          Meow

Comment

It needs a bar for the adults. If Dumbo can have a drink, we should too. lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Justonedream View Post
              The playplace is very Westfield Shoppingtown-esque, but the children will love it the same nonetheless.

The pager concept is a good idea, if a bit strange. "Roy, party of two, your elephant is ready" lol

Why aren't the pagers magic feathers?

---------- Post added 06-06-2012 at 09:58 AM ----------

Yeah I think it is a joke because the clowns in the movie, or any clowns for that matter, are clumsy/ nothing goes quite right
              if im correct.. i think the cannon is a slide...

Comment

These are issues the Imagineers thought about in designing the system, and from what I have heard, it will be easy for them to bypass riders who do not come to the line when their pager buzzes and instead stay in the play area. In theory, you can stay in the play area as long as you would like, and it would never be an issue to how many people could get on the ride.

You are only allowed admittance into the circus tent at a certain point in time before you're ride, I think it was two or three cycles prior to. This way, there isn't an absurd amount of children running and screaming in the tent. Perhaps you'd only have about 20 kids in the tent at one time, which, when gauging the size, doesn't seem like it will really be an issue with space or cramping.

Photo Via jdhilger

Comment

Originally posted by Melonballer View Post
                  LOL That would be amazing to be honest but alas, it will never be :[

Comment

Originally posted by notpennysboat View Post
                    LOL That would be amazing to be honest but alas, it will never be :[
                    How about just a soundproof booth and a foot bath?

Comment

Looking at the photos and video for this playground I can only feel that there should be some kind of amusement enterprise built where a parent can take his children where he could have a little fun with them too.

Also, who wrote the script for that video? I didn't think it was possible to make a playground based on a circus sound boring and contrived, but they pulled it off. Why do I feel like this is the same speech Imagineers used when they pitched it in the boardroom? "Let families re-balance energy... ongoing effort to improve the queue experience adding new magic and storytelling to different attractions." I practically fell asleep halfway through that bland corporate statement. You're not selling fan belts to a factory here. This is a circus themed playground, leave the buzzwords back at the office.
                      It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dapper Dan View Post
                        Looking at the photos and video for this playground I can only feel that there should be some kind of amusement enterprise built where a parent can take his children where he could have a little fun with them too.

Sigh. So true.

My very first thought when I saw the circular bench area with play structures in the middle was that it looks like the playgrounds at most of the malls in my area. I was hoping for something a little more innovative and entertaining for all ages, but that was probably just wishful thinking. I mean I get that Dumbo is most popular with the preschool set, but still...

Comment

This is NOTHING like the queue that I remember being announced...what happened to the interactive queue that everyone was excited for? Sure, it's a playground for little kids but can't you take part in that without having to be at WDW? And since there will be a limit to the number of people allowed inside does this now mean there will be a line to wait in line before you can get in line to the second line for the line that may lead to the line which gives you a pager to the line that lets you wait in another line for the dumbo ride?
                          Last edited by Eonevoli1017; 06-09-2012, 09:23 AM.
                          "Up" is a relative concept. It has no intrinsic value.

Comment

^^Yeah, wasn't it supposed to have circus acts and carnival games, stuff like that?? I seem to remember something like that in the concept art. At least a wider age range would be able to enjoy those things. Instead we get a McPlayplace. A well themed one, but a play place nonetheless.

Comment

Working...
                            X