This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Chat] Which is your favorite version of Space Ship Earth

I'm actually kind of torn on this. I like the script from the first version, Jeremy Iron's performance and that versions finale. And despite hating it as a kid, the song Tomorrow's Child has really grown on me.
    Version 1 (Vic Perrin)
    0.00%
    Version 2 (Walter Cronkite)
    28.57%
    Version 3 (Jeremy Irons)
    71.43%
    Version 4 (Judi Dench)
    0.00%
    It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.
    sigpic

Re: Which is your favorite version of Space Ship Earth

Originally posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    I'm actually kind of torn on this. I like the script from the first version, Jeremy Iron's performance and that versions finale. And despite hating it as a kid, the song Tomorrow's Child has really grown on me.
    I would have to agree with this 100%. So really, I like aspects of every version but the current one. If push came to shove, I'd probably have to go with Jeremy Irons as my overall favorite.
    I knew if this business was ever to get anywhere, if this business was ever to grow, it could never do it by having to answer to someone unsympathetic to its possibilities, by having to answer to someone with only one thought or interest, namely profits. For my idea of how to make profits has differed greatly from those who generally control businesses such as ours. I have blind faith in the policy that quality, tempered with good judgment and showmanship, will win against all odds.
    -Walt Disney

sigpic

Comment

I like the current version I really do, it still has the message of a brighter tomorrow that Futureworld represented my only complaint is the narration it feels like the Disney jr shows. The Cronkite one has the best narration because he didn't sweeten it he told you "the way it is" and Tomorrows Child really tied the ride together.

See ya walkin' right down the middle of o'l Main Street USA

"THAT'S R
      IGHT CARNEGIE STEEL BUILT THIS PLACE"!!!!!

Comment

As a kid, I always LOVED the sound of Jeremy Irons voice, and the finale from that version. The best part about the current version is picking other languages. "Danke die Pheonecia" has became a favorite phrase to shout at random moments, from the German narration. After my husband became a trainer there, I learned more about than I knew was possible lol. I have been in the room that crops the pictures. A cast member sits in there at all times, believe it or not. If you ride, and someone you know is in there, they can either put your face on both characters, or delete it so your video is headless!
        sigpic WDW Cast Member August 2009 - November 2011

Comment

My first visit in 06', I rode the Irons version and was absolutly stunned. His voice, so soothing and poetic. The finale was one of the best in WDW. Its sad to see a wonderful ending be replaced with practically nothing. The 07' refurb was much needed, but I wish they would have expanded upon the finale instead of just ripping it out. Judi Dench was a great choice for narrator, but the lines that they made her read made me cringe. With Irons, he made them sound like a Shakespearean screen play. So yes, while Judi Dench does an OK job. Irons wins.

Vader Out.
          Last edited by LordVader; 06-29-2012, 10:47 AM. Reason: Typo
          sigpic

What is thy bidding, my Mouseter?

Check out my tumblr: http://dvader2015.tumblr.com/

Comment

Since I haven't seen the Dench version, I really can't comment on that, but I agree with everything LordVader said about the Irons version.
            I found that finally with that music stirring and breathtaking. It really elevated a great attraction to being a work of art. Pure majesty! It's a shame to know I can't hear that music again.
            http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
            http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ip-report.html
            http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...something.html

No matter where you go, there you are.

Comment

I've only been on the most recent two, and of those, the Irons version is much more preferred. And every time I hear Tomorrow's Child, I want to club a seal. That song is so grating! But everything about the Irons version was great! His ominous voice, the fantastic descent. Yeah, Irons for the win.

Click the banner! ^^^^
              Follow us on Twitter
              @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
              Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

Comment

Originally posted by LordVader View Post
                My first visit in 06', I rode the Irons version and was absolutly stunned. His voice, so soothing and poetic. The finale was one of the best in WDW. Its sad to see a wonderful ending be replaced with practically nothing. The 07' refurb was much needed, but I wish they would have expanded upon the finale instead of just ripping it out.
                Same here - rode in 1996 and was like...OMG...this is the most phenomenal attraction I've ever been on. Having come from CA where there's nothing comparable, it left a major impression. Dench doesn't do anything wrong, but the new script is so light hearted, all the mystery and intrigue are gone. Big screw up on Disney's or Siemen's part, whoever wrote it. And the music - I'm still blown away that something SO grand was replaced by something so mediocre. To this day I don't "play the game" at the end but instead look around trying to find remnants of the old descent.
                Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

Comment

I've got nothing against Judi Dench, but they gave her a terrible script to work with. I'm not sure if Olivier's ghost speaking through Patrick Stewart's body could make it any better. And the ending needs more awe and less cute. (Not to mention that the screens seemed to only work half the time I was there last trip, leaving you to descend in stony silence.)

Comment

Jeremy Irons' voice is downright legendary.

Comment

I found this page a few months ago while stumbling along Disney blogs. It's a really cool comparison between the scripts for Spaceship Earth over the years.

Spaceship Earth Script Comparison

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X