Announcement

Collapse
See more
See less

Hate on Everest: Reasonable or Needless?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Chat] Hate on Everest: Reasonable or Needless?

Iwent on Expedition Everest for the first time in January 2007, whenit was still brand new. I was ten years old then, and had beenfollowing it's progress since I'd first heard about it. I'd even mademy mom (who'd been down in Orlando for work) buy a park ticket andcheck it out for me opening week. I'd heard so much about it, andfinally, I'd get to see it for myself.

Iwas notdisappointed.

Ofcourse, back when it was brand new, all of the effects were working,like the cold air jets, and, of course, Betty. I'd been mentallypreparing myself the whole hour-long wait in the line to come face toface with her, but that didn't matter; I had my eyes clamped shut thewhole entire ride. I took another shot at it, and my dad offered totell me when she was coming so that I could see the rest of the ride.I refused. I wanted to see her.

Idid, and immediately fell in love with her. The mechanics of her, howshe swung her arm with more thrust than a 747 jet engine, how she gotright in your face and almost took your head off. She was great.

Whenher framing cracked, I wasn't really all that surprised, but I wasdisappointed. Ever since then I've come up with thousands of ideasabout how they could fix her, like just makingher head move and roar at you, and keeping a bright light on her faceat all times (it's a scary sight, trust me). But even with that minorimprovement, there's still the matter of the arm.

Thoseof us lucky enough to have ridden back when she was still in fullswing, bad pun completely intended, know that you felt like you hadto duck. You could feelthe wind she created when she whipped her arm at you, and her fury...it was real. It was there. You knew, with that one arm comingstraight at your face and that loud, powerful roar, that she wantedyou off her mountain.

Well,no, actually.

Firstof all, the ride's in three pieces that never touch: the ride track,the mountain, and Betty/Betty's framing. They built the mountain in arather... creative(stupid) manner, so that they'll have to take the whole entireForbidden Mountain apart if they want to reach/fix her framing. Eventhen, they'll need new ideas since it'll probably just crack and puteveryone in danger again. So with all the research cost, the cost ofwhatever new framing they make, plus making an entirely new mountainfrom practically scratch, you're probably going to come somewhereunder the original cost of $100,000,000 and a very, very long wait.

Secondly,Animal Kingdom is already a half day park, and the park with theleast attendance. Admit it; you probably wouldn't even go if Everestwas shut down. I mean, that whole park's attendance rides onDinosaur!, Kilimanjaro Safaris (which is stretching it, almost), andExpedition Everest. Without even oneof those rides, it almost isn't worth leaving the otherKingdom, the only with about 789 rides that you could do over andover again without getting sick. Disney can shut down Splash Mountainwithout a problem; you have all the other Magic Mountains to make upfor it. They can shut down Test Track for an upgrade (which theyhave); adults still love their beer from many countries. Oh, andMission: SPACE. Kids love space. And they can shut down Tower ofTerror for a year of maintenance; they still have Rock n'Rollercoaster, Star Tours and Toy Story Mania!. It's different withAnimal Kingdom.

Inthe dark.

Backwards.

C'monpeople, that's the definition of awesome, right there.

Anyway,Expedition Everest is my favorite ride ever, of any park, and I feellike it gets more hate for its star being motionless then itdeserves. But what do you think? Is the criticism and demand forfixing reasonable, or needless?

(And before anyone asks, no, I'm NOT the only one that calls her a Betty, or a female. The man who is credited with creating her called her "she", and the Cast Members now know her as Betty.)
    sigpic

Re: Hate on Everest: Reasonable or Needless?

Since when did Joe Rohde give a specific gender to the Yeti?
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E
    sigpic
    Flickr

Comment

From all of the reliable accounts that I have seen, the problem with the Yeti is known, can be fixed and would not require the Forbidden Mountain to be removed to accomplish this task. The issue is bickering over who should fork over the cash to fix it, ultimately taking the blame for the problem.

I do think much is missing without the signature feature. Most of the coaster just takes place in the dark and there are light bleeds that expose the bare structure. The attraction is built around this one element, and it does not work as intended. The other effects working would also be nice.

Originally posted by FigmentJedi View Post
      Since when did Joe Rohde give a specific gender to the Yeti?
      I too have not seen anything about Rhode naming the character Betty or referring to a gender.

Comment

On the Building a Thrill Ride: Expedition Everest special (look on youtube), Joe Rohde literally says, "Without the yeti, there'd be no ride." So yeah, it kinda leaves a sour taste in my mouth that the yeti is basically a big stuffed animal right now. I want to like it, but I can't when I know that there's supposed to be more. As for your assessment of the damage: there are people who say that the fix isn't cost prohibitive, but management just doesn't want to take the ride down. Also, I know about the separate buildings for the mountain, the track and the yeti, but if imagineering really designed it such that you could NEVER remove the yeti without spending $100M to take the whole mountain apart, it would be an abominable (not sure if pun intended) failure of design. He is not that high off the ground; there must be a way to get him out.

Comment

http://www.yourhighwayinthesky.com/2...everests-yeti/
          "Oh, and that’s not a typographical error. Joe Rohde habitually refers to the Everest yeti as a “her,” and since she is largely his creation, it seems only polite to accept his choice of gender. Besides, who would want to check a 22-foot tall, 20,000-pound ape to determine its biological specifics? Some cast members, in fact, have dubbed the creature Betty."

"So why doesn’t Disney fix the problem? They screwed up; the company prides itself on giving its guests the best experience. Fix the foundation. Again, it’s not that simple. Because of the dazzlingly complex construction, repairs to the yeti’s foundation are a major undertaking. In order to repair the damage, portions of the foundation for the ride track and mountain would have to be removed and then replaced. Based on designer Rohde’s comments, some have suggested the entire ride would have to be dismantled."

sigpic

Comment

The yeti is female? :/

Comment

I don't mind the yeti being female but she ain't no betty!

Visit my mice chat toy shop!
              http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
              http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

Comment

Originally posted by Peter'sGirl View Post
                http://www.yourhighwayinthesky.com/2...everests-yeti/
                "Oh, and that’s not a typographical error. Joe Rohde habitually refers to the Everest yeti as a “her,” and since she is largely his creation, it seems only polite to accept his choice of gender. Besides, who would want to check a 22-foot tall, 20,000-pound ape to determine its biological specifics? Some cast members, in fact, have dubbed the creature Betty."

"So why doesn’t Disney fix the problem? They screwed up; the company prides itself on giving its guests the best experience. Fix the foundation. Again, it’s not that simple. Because of the dazzlingly complex construction, repairs to the yeti’s foundation are a major undertaking. In order to repair the damage, portions of the foundation for the ride track and mountain would have to be removed and then replaced. Based on designer Rohde’s comments, some have suggested the entire ride would have to be dismantled."

The real reason for the yeti malfunction has never been publicly acknowledged, so we really don't know how complex the fix would be. We don't know if it's the foundation, the yeti itself, the connection between the two, or all of the above. That article is just inferring.

Comment

You know, with all the years of experience with park maintenance, and all them imagineers and everything, I don't buy the "We built something we can't fix" excuse, and really believe it's all about corporate "It's not MY PROBLEM!" musical chairs. And given that only the top 10% of park visitors even know there's an issue, you can see why it's not on anyone's radar.

That said, we saw Roger Water's tour of The Wall last night. And if Disney cared, they'd be hiring the production designers for that show and turning them loose to do something new and spectacular. Seriously. The show and effects I saw last night really, really highlighted how far Disney has fallen.

When all you can do is TALK about Magic, but can't actually deliver, then there's no reason to not just go to a six-flags and save a whole lot of money.

Comment

... Thoseof us lucky enough to have ridden back when she was still in fullswing, bad pun completely intended, know that you felt like you hadto duck. You could feelthe wind she created when she whipped her arm at you, and her fury...it was real. It was there. You knew, with that one arm comingstraight at your face and that loud, powerful roar, that she wantedyou off her mountain.

... Secondly,Animal Kingdom is already a half day park, and the park with theleast attendance. Admit it; you probably wouldn't even go if Everestwas shut down. I mean, that whole park's attendance rides onDinosaur!, Kilimanjaro Safaris (which is stretching it, almost), andExpedition Everest. Without even oneof those rides, it almost isn't worth leaving the otherKingdom

... Anyway,Expedition Everest is my favorite ride ever, of any park, and I feellike it gets more hate for its star being motionless then itdeserves. But what do you think? Is the criticism and demand forfixing reasonable, or needless?
                    I also went on Everest shortly after it opened. I followed all the progress of the construction, watched all the specials as well. The ride of course was great when everything was working. Still good now, but just like Indy, isn't quite right when all the effects aren't working.

I would still go to Animal Kingdom if Everest was not working. I went there before there was an Everest, and I would go back without one. For me the parks are not all about the rides. Yes, I would like everything working on all the attractions, but I enjoy many aspects of all the parks besides just the rides. I won't get started on some of the people in the last group who went to Epcot with me.

It is understandable that some maintenance issues take time to fix, but key elements and signature parts of rides should never go beyond a year to get fixed, in my opinion. The problems with Everest have gone on way too long.
                    sigpic

Comment

"Hate" is a strong word, but I think a certain level of disappointment is reasonable.

If they designed and built a ride that was impossible to fix, that was dumb.
                      If they built a ride that can be fixed, but they're too cheap to do so, that's lame.
                      The fact that they won't come out and openly say which it is; that's weaksauce.
                      The fact that the working effects are still being used in advertising materials; that's dishonest.

It's to be hoped that the reason for the otherwise-questionable decision to build Avatarland is so they'll have something else for people to do while they fix Everest.

Comment

I have to agree with ttinagel - I don't think it's as much 'hate' as 'disappointment' and I think the anger (or whatever you want to call it) on a lot of message boards isn't necessarily directed toward the ride itself, it's directed toward Disney management and how they're handling, or in this case, not handling a missing piece of one of their signature attractions.

As far as my own feelings, fully working or not, I still love Everest and will definitely ride it next trip out there. If they do take Everest down for a long period of time, I'd still visit DAK because for me, it has enough other cool stuff to make it worthwhile.

Oh, not to nitpick or anything...
                        Does Everest really put riders upside down? I don't remember there being a loop or anything on it.

Comment

When I first rode Everest and he was in full swing, my mom and I thought he looked kinda like a Muppet. The lighting was odd, and the coloring around his eyes seemed like an odd choice. A few days later, I did the Dining with an Imagineer program, and had lunch with a project director. I asked about the yeti, and his comment was, "What, the toilet-papered Muppet?" So maybe the strobe lights are an improvement to his appearance lol
                          sigpic WDW Cast Member August 2009 - November 2011

Comment

I bet if the OP had assumed the yeti was male and used "he" instead of every "she" no one would've even noticed, yet alone thought to mention that Rhode never specifically declared the yeti a male.

Comment

Originally posted by clockworkmonkey View Post
                              I bet if the OP had assumed the yeti was male and used "he" instead of every "she" no one would've even noticed, yet alone thought to mention that Rhode never specifically declared the yeti a male.
                              It was the original poster who asserted that the Yeti not only has a gender but that it had been decided by Joe Rhode.

Comment

Thanks for the input everyone! Yeah, "hate" is a bit strong, but I was running into trouble trying to name the thread... Also, the yeti went down in 2008, and four/five years is an awful long time for something to be broken. I'm not saying that Disney's lack of effort to fix the yeti is okay, by the way. I love the yeti, and I wish they would make some attempt to make that scene better. But if I can't have that, I'd like to take an optimistic view on the ride and remember that it's still quite the piece of art without that last bonus scene.

Originally posted by Pacha View Post
                                ...Oh, not to nitpick or anything...
                                Does Everest really put riders upside down? I don't remember there being a loop or anything on it.
                                Yeah, it's really smooth, but when you're going backwards through the dark part, it goes upside down. If you look, you can see the lit up floor above you in the middle of it, if only for a second.
                                sigpic

Comment

Yeah, it's really smooth, but when you're going backwards through the dark part, it goes upside down. If you look, you can see the lit up floor above you in the middle of it, if only for a second.
                                  Your mind is playing tricks on you. There are no inversions on Expedition Everest.

Comment

Personally, I don't mind a yeti. Disneyland's bobsleds have been going slower past a strobed yeti for the past 50 years and no one has complained.
                                    DisneyTwins
                                    Since May 2003

Comment

great ride other than the strobe lights. Disney can do better than cheap 80s effects. I know the story. It's just sad. They need to dump money in there to fix it. I don't care what it costs. They need to figure out how to rework it somehow.

---------- Post added 06-29-2012 at 06:41 PM ----------

Originally posted by Disneytwins View Post
                                      Personally, I don't mind a yeti. Disneyland's bobsleds have been going slower past a strobed yeti for the past 50 years and no one has complained.
                                      That is nostalgic though. This is supposed to be a state of the art ride, not nostalgic. If I want Disco lights, I'll go to DL for their matterhorn.
                                      Hoping to raise enough money to go to DL from Pennsylvania with my wife for our 5 year anniversary. (We went there on our honeymoon!)

If you would like to contribute to the cause for a relatively poor private school teacher. Please private message me. I'd be very thankful.

Comment

When it was functional, it looked pretty static anyway. The ride is just too fast. I mean, I would understand if your sitting there for three seconds or more, but you can't really tell motion at .5 seconds.
                                        DisneyTwins
                                        Since May 2003

Comment

Working...
                                        X