X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why does WDW have the best icons?

Originally posted by PSUMark View Post
    Well, I can try. Similar to how the castle at MK is Cinderella's Castle and not just "a castle," the volcano at TDS is not just "a volcano" but is Vulcania. If you're familiar with the "20,000 Leagues" mythology of Jules Verne, you know that Vulcania is the home port of Captain Nemo, from which he embarks on imaginative voyages of adventure aboard The Nautilus. For those, such as myself, who are fans of the Verne stories and of Walt Disney's 1954 film, the retro-futurism of Verne and particularly the spirit of Captain Nemo represents a romantic and adventurous "old world" spirit of exploration and discovery.

Admittedly, Vulcania may not function as the greatest possible "thesis statement" on what the whole of TDS encompasses, but it is arguably the most intricately detailed park icon ever created. Sleeping Beauty Castle in DLP is really the only icon that can rival Vulcania in that regard. The hourly eruptions are really cool, and it definitely houses the best attraction contained within a park icon anywhere.
    I see where you are coming from and knowing the backstory makes it a little easier to understand why it does make sense but in my opinion I still think it is a stretch but if you like it that's good too. I just thought that the original icon plan for the Victorian, imagined lighthouse would have worked better, in my opinion, because it lighthouse are used on the SEA (Tokyo DisneySEA) and it was how people traveled to all of these magical ports of call. When they saw lighthouses, it let them know they entered a new world different from what they are used to.

You'd be hard-pressed to find anyone - in this thread or elsewhere - willing to defend anything about Disney Studios Paris. I don't think anyone disagrees with you on this one.
    This cracked me up. Probably the funniest thing I read in a while. It is sad though.

This would kind of make sense if DHS was solely a park about the magic of movie-making and those who make them. (And even if it was, the Hat is still a pretty poor representation of those things.) But DHS is about more than that - it's about "the Hollywood that never was and always will be." A large chunk of the park (arguably the best chunk) is entirely devoted to the culture and setting of the golden age of Hollywood, and the hat doesn't represent that at all. It's also quite the stretch to imply that Mickey in "The Sorcerer's Apprentice" is acting as a metaphor for filmmakers. Of course, the biggest problem with the hat is still that it's a glaring visual contradiction in its current/context location, but even aside from that, the hat fails as an icon to represent the whole of what DHS is intended to be - the Chinese Theater and the Water Tower both accomplish that better (together or individually).
    Does anyone have the Imagineering Field Guide to Disney's Hollywood Studios? What did they write in there regarding the Sorcerer's Hat?

Comment

Originally posted by WDW1971 View Post
      I just thought that the original icon plan for the Victorian, imagined lighthouse would have worked better, in my opinion, because it lighthouse are used on the SEA (Tokyo DisneySEA) and it was how people traveled to all of these magical ports of call. When they saw lighthouses, it let them know they entered a new world different from what they are used to.
      I must admit, I cringed a little when I read this. When you walked into Tokyo DisneySea and saw that amazing volcano, did you really say to yourself that a lighthouse would have been better?

The first time I went into DisneySea, the volcano seemed to block from view whatever was behind it, calling you toward it to begin exploring. It's a feeling you get only by being there.

It is indeed the single most impressive structure ever built by imagineering. Nothing at WDW is its equal. It is that amazing, it is that Iconic.

Regarding Cinderella Castle, the Japanese version is also my favorite for the more interesting color palate. The gold trimming, and darkened bricks really make the upper half of the castle stand out. Whereas in Florida, including the picture posted, the castle looks too plastic like sometimes. Also, the vast hub at Tokyo Disneyland allow the Castle to have a presence not unlike DL's Sleeping Beauty Castle. In that it is obviously the central icon, but does not overwhelm the surrounding areas.
      Last edited by Grizzly; 07-24-2012, 04:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by WDW1971 View Post

Can you tell me how this represents the world where Imagination and Adventure set sail? Where the spirit of exploration lives in all of us? A journey of adventure, romance, discovery and fun? I do not see how a volcano does all of those things.

At Walt Disney Studios Paris they have...nothing? What here represents our fascination and affection for cinema and television, celebrates the art and artistry of storytellers?

How does the Carthay Circle theater show the spirit and optimism and the endless opportunities in the Golden State? A place that shows the richness and diversity of California. The landscapes, the people and the dreamers it inspires?

Spaceship earth showcases the world and how man's achievements are celebrated through imagination, new and exciting horizons, inform and inspire and instill belief and pride in man's ability to shape a world that people everywhere express their beliefs and cultures while at the same time benefiting mankind.

At Hollywood Studios the Sorcerer's Hat represents Hollywood and what people do when then dream, wonder and imagine, where illusions and reality are transcribed by technological magic. If you have seen Fantasia, the hat is used in a scene where Mickey dreams and imagines a whole different world that transcends reality, just like the movies. It also represents Walt Disney Pictures and their movies.

The Tree of Life showcases how animals are so dependent upon their land and there is balance and harmony within the Animal Kingdom where every organism is vital to survival and man's necessity to preserve this beauty.

Mount Mayday at Typhoon Lagoon shows how the typhoon ravaged the land and wreaked havoc upon the tropical landscape, uprooting a boat and placing it on top of a volcano.

Mount Gushmore at Blizzard Beach shows how there was a freak snowstorm and the ski motif that is there.

Disneyland's castle, Magic Kingdom's castle, and Disneyland Paris' castle are all appropriate and I approve of them. I do not like the castle in Tokyo or in Hong Kong because they are clones of DL's & MK's.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	disney_studio_logo.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	24.1 KB
ID:	7344092

Name:	studio_1.jpeg
Size:	14.0 KB
ID:	7344094
        Attached Files
        Last edited by TimmyTimmyTimmy; 07-25-2012, 06:40 PM.

Comment

Wait, Walt Disney Studios in Paris does not have an icon?

Name:	disney25.jpg
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	7344095

Name:	2010-07-23 011.JPG
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	7344097

Look like icons to me...

Comment

Also, I consider this more of an icon to California Adventure than Carthay Circle

Name:	2010-06-10 World of Color 0792.JPG
Size:	107.9 KB
ID:	7344105

Comment

Working...
            X