• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • iluvstitch
    meganmegaphone
    • Oct 2005

Unexpired tickets? But what about...

Hey... so the last time I was in WDW I was 9, the castle was being made into a pink cake, and dinosaurs roamed the earth. Ok, so I'm just kiddding about the last part, but I have a little bit of a question about an unused day's worth of a ticket from 1996.

I was a child then... so I have a child's ticket... but now... well, I'm not. So can I still use this ticket as we paid extra then for the never expiring option, or can I no longer use it because I am a different age? Is my name inprinted on my ticket, or cloud I use my mom or dad's unused park-hopper day? Could I pay the difference between the child and adult price and use my old ticket?

Any help is greatly apreciated! I would love to be able to travel the parks before my 3rd day (and traditions)!

Luv Ya,
    Megs

"Back off, Lilo... he's all mine!"
    My MySpace... or...My Facebook
    Coldplay = Love

"Accept that some days you are the pigeon and some days you are the statue." - The Office (BBC)
  • captsmith84
    Banned User
    • Jan 2005

Re: Unexpired tickets? But what about...

Because it is a child's ticket, and it was bought while you were a child, you can still use the ticket. Back then there was no "option" for a ticket to never expire, it just didn't expire.

Now, the question is, your ticket media. 1996 was the year Walt Disney World switched ticket media to the new system we currently use. So... if your ticket is printed on what looks like heavyweight waterproof paper... (mylar, not cardboard) and has a magnetic strip on the top of the back of it, then it will still work in today's turnstiles. However, if it does not have that strip, or it's not mylar, you'll need to go to Guest Relations to exchange the old ticket for a new one.

Because the ticket was bought while you were a child, you do NOT need to upgrade it to an adult ticket. If someone at Guest Relations tells you otherwise, ask to speak to a manager. And know how to defend your ground... If a child ages from 8 to 9 while they have an annual pass, they don't need to upgrade to an adult ticket until the pass expires. Since your pass has not expired, you should not need to upgrade either.

This is the way this type of situation is supposed to be handled. If it's not handled that way, they're taking you for a ride and I'd complain about it.

Also... because I tend to avoid confrontation as much as possible, if you have the mylar ticket, I'd go through with the turnstile with no attendant around it and just enter the park. (Please note, at WDW, if a turnstile has a green arrow light on it, guests are encouraged to use it, even if there is no attendant at that turnstyle. It's not some crazy thing I'm telling you to do.) Chances are, no one will look twice if the ticket works. If it doesn't work, they'll just send you over to Guest Relations.

And please, don't mention you're going to be a CP. Trust me, you don't want that status if you're using a ticket and if you might have to complain about it... you're a guest, don't loose that status until you start using your Cast ID to get in.

Also, about your parent's tickets... from a technical standpoint, they will still work for anyone. However, they are non-transferable and can not be sold or given to anyone. However, you are their daugther, and I'm sure Disney would have no problem with you using their tickets. If I were you, I'd bring them all, and use the child one first. For the adult tickets, go to guest relations first and let them exhange the ticket if they want to. (On the day you want to use it) If it's inside a family, it's acceptable. What is not acceptable is selling them on eBay or to a guy on 192. Don't look at everything in B&W or you'll go nuts.
    Last edited by captsmith84; 01-03-2006, 10:27 PM.

Comment

• iluvstitch
      meganmegaphone
      • Oct 2005

Well the ticket is on some durable type of paper... not sure what... and has a magnetic strip... almost identical to what they use in DLR, except I think the magnetic strip there is larger. Anyways, here's what it looks like since I'm too daft to decipher which it is :S

Thanks for all of the info by the way! I'll make sure not to mention cp at this point, haha.

Coldplay = Love

"Accept that some days you are the pigeon and some days you are the statue." - The Office (BBC)

Comment

• captsmith84
        Banned User
        • Jan 2005

That's a new ticket. We use those now. Notice how it's kinda flexable and almost has a plastic-paper quality to it. That's mylar. Hee hee. Straight into the turnstile it goes.

Oh, one last thing, it's not good at Animal Kingdom, so don't try using it over there.

Also, it's funny you should mention the Disneyland tickets with the strips... they're still planning to merge the ticket systems. The current Disneyland tickets are more of a "transition" phase than anything else.

Comment

• iluvstitch
          meganmegaphone
          • Oct 2005

Yaaaaay! Thanks again!

Hehe... darn no animal kingdom for me... it only closes at 5:00pm anyway though

Coldplay = Love

Comment

• DoppelV
            MiceChatter
            • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Bill
            Oh, one last thing, it's not good at Animal Kingdom, so don't try using it over there.
            I'm not quite sure that that is true. If you talk to guest relations, you should be able to secure access to the Animal Kingdom. These tickets are not specific. The only tickets that are restricted to the old three are the tickets that specifically say so. They used to make three day tickets that were valid at those three only. If this is just a one-day, one-park, or a hopper, you should be able to get in.

Also, during my training as a park greeter at Epcot, we were specifically told that if an older ticket did come in through the turnstiles, children who are now adults were supposed to upgrade. The machines will still read the ticket as a child's ticket, and not as an old non-expiration. Now, depending on which greeter you get, you may have some difficulty. I probably wouldn't give you any trouble. With that in mind, try it at the turnstiles first, do not go to Guest Relations to have it remade, looked at, etc. If the greeter gives you trouble, then go to Guest Relations.

Also, if you want to use your parent's tickets, just make sure you put your name on the back of the ticket. That way the greeters can check your ID, just to be sure if needs be.
            In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate.

DoppelV

Comment

• Supermatt70
              The 70th Matt Named Super
              • Apr 2005

WOW Bill! Some pretty bad info there. Usually I like what you say, but...

"Because the ticket was bought while you were a child, you do NOT need to upgrade it to an adult ticket. If someone at Guest Relations tells you otherwise, ask to speak to a manager. And know how to defend your ground... If a child ages from 8 to 9 while they have an annual pass, they don't need to upgrade to an adult ticket until the pass expires. Since your pass has not expired, you should not need to upgrade either"

What did Guest Relations do to you?

Anywho...Take your ticket to Guest Relations on your first day to a park. They will convert the ticket to a new adult ticket at no charge to you. You can not use a child's ticket as an adult and you NEVER have to pay for growing up. Trust me on this, unlike Bill, this is what I do for 8 hours a day, 5 days a week. Your new ticket will now be DAK useable as well. And trust me, if Everest is open, you'll want to go to DAK!

Well, even if Everest isn't open, DAK is a wonderful park! But Everest ROCKS!

Comment

• captsmith84
                Banned User
                • Jan 2005

Bah... by saying "upgrade" I meant she shouldn't have to pay for an adult ticket. I've never heard of having to take the ticket to Guest Relations to upgrade it in my life... I know you don't have to pay to "grow up" but I've never heard of the extra step converting to an adult ticket. That must have been a more recent addition... or perhaps greeters never follow those rules? Either way, I had not heard of it. Anyway, in my experience I've learned to still be leery of guest relations. It always depends on who you get. When it comes to tickets, only deal with them if you have to.

That's my advice. So unless you're just dying to go to AK, I'd still go straight to the gate first, then if trouble arises, go to guest relations. The less you deal with them, the better. I know you probably don't like me saying that Matt, but I (I as a family, not just myself) have had some really poor experiences with Guest Relations when you're outside the park. Once you enter the park, Guest Relations couldn't be a better place! But outside the park, you can get treated like.. well, something that's not really say-able on a public forum. I've caught outdoor Guest Relations CMs checking e-mail on the clock and making a guest wait for them to finish checking their personal email over at Epcot. I haven't been to Guest Relations outside at AK before, so I can't really speak for your staff. But at MK and Epcot they've been pretty insane. (Only the Guest Relations outside the park, not inside) Over at the Disney-MGM Studios, I really haven't had any issues.

It's just personal experience that makes all the diff. I guess, but I try to stay away from the outdoor windows. LOL

Also, about the AK not being included... that was entirely my fault. I remember when they started adding "Not valid for any park commencing operations after so and so" (a date) on the backs of passes, and I thought it was before AK. But I guess that was only after AK opened. Sorry about that.
                Last edited by captsmith84; 01-07-2006, 10:56 AM.

Comment

• Supermatt70
                  The 70th Matt Named Super
                  • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Bill
                  Bah... by saying "upgrade" I meant she shouldn't have to pay for an adult ticket. I've never heard of having to take the ticket to Guest Relations to upgrade it in my life... I know you don't have to pay to "grow up" but I've never heard of the extra step converting to an adult ticket. That must have been a more recent addition... or perhaps greeters never follow those rules? Either way, I had not heard of it. Anyway, in my experience I've learned to still be leery of guest relations. It always depends on who you get. When it comes to tickets, only deal with them if you have to.

That's my advice. So unless you're just dying to go to AK, I'd still go straight to the gate first, then if trouble arises, go to guest relations. The less you deal with them, the better. I know you probably don't like me saying that Matt, but I (I as a family, not just myself) have had some really poor experiences with Guest Relations when you're outside the park. Once you enter the park, Guest Relations couldn't be a better place! But outside the park, you can get treated like.. well, something that's not really say-able on a public forum. I've caught outdoor Guest Relations CMs checking e-mail on the clock and making a guest wait for them to finish checking their personal email over at Epcot. I haven't been to Guest Relations outside at AK before, so I can't really speak for your staff. But at MK and Epcot they've been pretty insane. (Only the Guest Relations outside the park, not inside) Over at the Disney-MGM Studios, I really haven't had any issues.

It's just personal experience that makes all the diff. I guess, but I try to stay away from the outdoor windows. LOL

Also, about the AK not being included... that was entirely my fault. I remember when they started adding "Not valid for any park commencing operations after so and so" (a date) on the backs of passes, and I thought it was before AK. But I guess that was only after AK opened. Sorry about that.

Again....I gotta say...WOW!

Bill, I'm not sure that you have any idea what it is that Guest Relations Cast Members do. I would agree with you that there are sometimes bad apples in a bunch, and I would also agree that Epcot CMs are sometimes below the other parks Guest Relations teams. But, just as you would not judge all of Tomorrowland's Cast based on your dealings with the Timekeeper CM you had trouble with (or would you?) you should not judge all Guest Relations Hosts/Hostess on an Epcot CM.

Follow the rules, such as not using a child ticket when you're an adult, and Guest Relations CMs will bend over backwards for YOU. Most of us understand more than any of the other CMs, the history and importantance of our theme parks and animated films. And, the importantace of your expectations, I might add.

With your thoughts on Guest Relations Bill, I hope you never have a problem with your annual pass or need an issue resolved for you. Being so "leery" of us and all...

Stop by and say "How do you do?" sometime, Bill. You might just change your preception and more importantly, make a new friend.

Comment

• iluvstitch
                    meganmegaphone
                    • Oct 2005

Ok... so I don't know what I'll end up doing in regards to whether I'll speak to guest relations first or not. I guess it'll just come down to how lucky I'm feeling that day, but anyways... sorry to have started conflict here. :blink:

Thanks to everyone for their info and opinions. As long as I know I can use the ticket... hey I'm happy I mean... I was 9 last time I was there, so it'll be new all over again! (and not a big pink cake... the castle, I mean)!
                    Last edited by iluvstitch; 01-08-2006, 05:46 PM.

Coldplay = Love

Comment

• tloolgb
                      Internet.Serious Business
                      • May 2005

Pretty much what Bill said. It's a new type of ticket so it should work. Even if they won't let you trade day for day the old unexpired park hoppers they'll still give you back the unused days values's towards new tickets. Now that they'll do park hoppers for any number of days that might not even be an issue.

Comment

• captsmith84
                        Banned User
                        • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Supermatt70
                        Again....I gotta say...WOW!

Bill, I'm not sure that you have any idea what it is that Guest Relations Cast Members do. I would agree with you that there are sometimes bad apples in a bunch, and I would also agree that Epcot CMs are sometimes below the other parks Guest Relations teams. But, just as you would not judge all of Tomorrowland's Cast based on your dealings with the Timekeeper CM you had trouble with (or would you?) you should not judge all Guest Relations Hosts/Hostess on an Epcot CM.

Follow the rules, such as not using a child ticket when you're an adult, and Guest Relations CMs will bend over backwards for YOU. Most of us understand more than any of the other CMs, the history and importantance of our theme parks and animated films. And, the importantace of your expectations, I might add.

With your thoughts on Guest Relations Bill, I hope you never have a problem with your annual pass or need an issue resolved for you. Being so "leery" of us and all...

Stop by and say "How do you do?" sometime, Bill. You might just change your preception and more importantly, make a new friend.
                        I do all the time... to the indoor CMs. The Guest Relations CMs inside the park. Some of nicest CMs I know. I think there's something about being seperated from the main Guest Relations like in MK and Epcot that drives them nutty on the outside windows. And I have had trouble with my AP before... but I always go inside the park to fix it. And when we renew... that's actually when the outdoor GR CMs at MK were downright mean. It's not that it's just been once or twice, it's been multiple times, and it's always been the windows at MK and EP that look outside the park. Maybe it's just the work environments over there or something? lol

I'm not asking you to agree with me, but at least take a look into it on those windows at the other parks... there are some major issues over there. Maybe it's not even the CMs? Overpowering windows or something? The fact that the guest can't walk around inside and talk to you person to person without a shield of glass? I have no clue what it is, but it's just odd, and it's a noticable change from the happy CMs I encounter at the main GR areas inside the parks. I don't know how else to explain it. LOL

It comes down to this, rather than risk getting an angry GR CM at a window, I'd just try and enter the park first. Even though it's not all the GR CMs at windows that are mean, the mean ones that are there reflect badly on every GR CM at a window. So my point is... you need to fire some people, because they're making you look bad. And it's not worth a guest having to deal with that when they could just "try" something first to get in. If it doesn't work fine, but if it does work, then it's bypassing a Guest Relations window... and that is worth it in itself. I feel like playing Russian Roulette when I go to the GR windows at Epcot and MK... it's THAT bad.

I'm sorry this kinda reflects badly on you... but that's just the nature of the beast. And I know you're trained to understand that. A guest meets one mean CM, it ruins the experience to an extent. But repeatedly it's just annoying.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X