Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mermaids coming to POTC - finally confirmed by Disney Blog

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • News Mermaids coming to POTC - finally confirmed by Disney Blog

    The long rumored Mermaid addition to the POTC ride in the MK is about to be confirmed by the Disney Park's blog

    They posted a teaser today...


    To be followed up later.

    The assumption is they will be turned up during the upcoming one day rehab on the calendar.

    Given both parks have followed with the POTC movie additions.. one has to wonder if DL's will get this in the near future as well.

    What do you think?

    Personally I think it's another contrived addition that really only erodes at the original attraction and is a misguided 'plussing' that ultimately will make the attraction weaker.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid


    Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

    Originally posted by sleepyjeff
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

  • #2
    Re: Mermaids coming to POTC - finally confirmed by Disney Blog

    Originally posted by flynnibus View Post
    What do you think?
    I think it's jumping the gun to assume that the upcoming change is mermaid-based.

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Mermaids coming to POTC - finally confirmed by Disney Blog

      Shall we see what Disney is actually working on before making opinions on if it's going to be misguided or weak. I rather enjoyed the last movie upgrades and do really hope the rumoured addition of AA's Mermaids is true. Also very impressed that WDW is making enhancements to one of its attractions.
      Follow me on Twitter http://www.twitter.com/malin1804

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Mermaids coming to POTC - finally confirmed by Disney Blog

        Originally posted by ttintagel View Post
        I think it's jumping the gun to assume that the upcoming change is mermaid-based.
        The addition of mermaids has been rumored for 6+ months now.. and all but confirmed by insider sources. It's only been a question of 'when'. In addition, we've seen the work done in the caves while the attraction was still open.

        And lastly, the article points to 'On Stranger Tides' - where the mermaids were introduced in the franchise.

        True there are other things introduced in the movie.. the chick.. fountain of youth.. the spanish.. blackbeard.. but all of those would be much greater additions to fit in.. and we already have the long, long, trail of mermaid fins.

        A few hours will tell.. and I'm betting the bank
        Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid


        Am I evil? yes, I am
        Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

        Originally posted by sleepyjeff
        Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Mermaids coming to POTC - finally confirmed by Disney Blog

          I believe the mermaids will only enhance the attraction. While they made a huge impact in the 4th film, the addition of mermaids would have been appropriate wether or not they were in the movies. Mermaids are a HUGE part of pirate lore and a welcome addition in my opinion!
          Last edited by SeeJackRunn; 09-19-2012, 09:29 AM.

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Mermaids coming to POTC - finally confirmed by Disney Blog

            any good story keeps on topic and advances the characters or plots. The mermaids will do neither IMO... and should end up on the cutting room floor like so many scenes that 'fit' a movie, but are edited out because they detract from the focus or pace of the film.
            Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid


            Am I evil? yes, I am
            Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

            Originally posted by sleepyjeff
            Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Mermaids coming to POTC - finally confirmed by Disney Blog

              Originally posted by SeeJackRunn View Post
              I believe the mermaids will only enhance the attraction. While they made a huge impact in the 4th film, the addition of mermaids would have been appropriate wether or not they were in the movies. Mermaids are a HUGE part of pirate lore and a welcome addition in my opinion!
              I was going to say pretty much this. I'm not sure where they'd fit in, especially where they might fit in DL's, but as far as I'm concerned, mermaids and pirates have always gone together. Would I want them to have their own scene/room? Perhaps not, but as long as things are not being removed in favor of mermaids, I'm remaining open-minded.

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Mermaids coming to POTC - finally confirmed by Disney Blog

                I'm excited to see what it is!
                Jeff Wayne






                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Mermaids coming to POTC - finally confirmed by Disney Blog

                  Originally posted by flynnibus View Post
                  any good story keeps on topic and advances the characters or plots. The mermaids will do neither IMO... and should end up on the cutting room floor like so many scenes that 'fit' a movie, but are edited out because they detract from the focus or pace of the film.
                  How do they detract from the focus or pace of the ride? I remember the ride before any movie was made, remember when the ride was only at Disneyland... and even if there was never a movie I don't see that adding mermaids would be a distraction... the whole ride was always a fantasy land view of what pirates might have been like.... would we also need to go into the Peter Pan ride and remove the mermaids from there too?

                  Honestly you just sound like a purist that doesn't want the ride to change any from what it was in the beginning... but this isn't Citizen Kane, the ride isn't sacred its just entertainment.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Mermaids coming to POTC - finally confirmed by Disney Blog

                    Originally posted by Thomas998 View Post
                    How do they detract from the focus or pace of the ride? I remember the ride before any movie was made, remember when the ride was only at Disneyland... and even if there was never a movie I don't see that adding mermaids would be a distraction... the whole ride was always a fantasy land view of what pirates might have been like.... would we also need to go into the Peter Pan ride and remove the mermaids from there too?

                    Honestly you just sound like a purist that doesn't want the ride to change any from what it was in the beginning... but this isn't Citizen Kane, the ride isn't sacred its just entertainment.
                    The lead in to the attraction is the Eire foreboding.. a setup including the deaths and crimes of the pirates to cover their tracks.. and the fear and wrath of the sea. It's about the pirates, their cuthrought nature, the sea.. and the common tale of 'dead men tell no tales' of the pirates killing each other to cover their own tracks. This is all about the pirates, their treasure, and their greed.

                    How does inserting mermaids advance any of those concepts? When are the mermaids going to be woven into the rest of the attraction? They aren't.. they are just orphans in the tale. They are there to be there, not to contribute to the tale.

                    Peter Pan is an entirely different story and the mermaids there have nothing to do with POTC and it's tale being told. In Peter Pan, the mermaids illustrate the 'popularity' of Peter Pan, the jealously over him, and his boyish nature to just kind of overlook them. Their presence in the story advances the understanding of the Peter Pan character.

                    In Stranger Tides, the role of the mermaid is to show the compassion of Phillip - a character not even in the POTC ride. The mermaids represent a new villain, much like the kraken was in the earlier films - but their villan role is to represent a challenge and action in the plot of the fountain... again.. threads not represented at all in the attraction.

                    Just because they exist in the POTC universe - doesn't mean they fit interchangeably in any story line. Here, they do nothing to advance the story about pillaging a town, the curse of greed, or the characters in the attraction.

                    They are dead weight.
                    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid


                    Am I evil? yes, I am
                    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

                    Originally posted by sleepyjeff
                    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Mermaids coming to POTC - finally confirmed by Disney Blog

                      POTC doesn't have a storyline, imo, at least not in the ride; you basically go through random scenes related to Pirates.

                      Mermaids relate to Pirates, and could be greatly integrated in the ride if done well. It's not like they're going to adding Ariel.

                      I think somewhere right after the drop would fit the mermaids great, it's a quick area that has a lot of deadspace. I could see the boat starting to shake, and the noise the mermaids make sounding. It's be as if the mermaids were coming after you.



                      Don't badmouth something before you see the final product
                      Last edited by Chesire; 09-19-2012, 02:40 PM.
                      Fear of the unknown.

                      They are afraid of new ideas.


                      You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.










                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Mermaids coming to POTC - finally confirmed by Disney Blog

                        Originally posted by flynnibus View Post
                        Personally I think it's another contrived addition that really only erodes at the original attraction and is a misguided 'plussing' that ultimately will make the attraction weaker.
                        MK's Pirates ride is already a contrived addition that really only erodes the original attraction.

                        Click the banner! ^^^^
                        Follow us on Twitter
                        @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
                        Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Mermaids coming to POTC - finally confirmed by Disney Blog

                          On Disaster-watch.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Mermaids coming to POTC - finally confirmed by Disney Blog

                            Originally posted by Chesire View Post
                            POTC doesn't have a storyline, imo, at least not in the ride; you basically go through random scenes related to Pirates.
                            BZZZT

                            It's not random at all. There is a narrative and tale told in the attraction. Too bad it's been mangled by jack sparrow.

                            I bang my head on the wall everytime someone says pirates and HM are just random.

                            Originally posted by Chesire View Post
                            Mermaids relate to Pirates, and could be greatly integrated in the ride if done well
                            They do? Why? Because Disney put them in a movie together?

                            Mermaids are tales about the sea and sailors.. not necessarily tied to pirates.
                            Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid


                            Am I evil? yes, I am
                            Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

                            Originally posted by sleepyjeff
                            Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Mermaids coming to POTC - finally confirmed by Disney Blog

                              Man, I really hope they don't screw things up.

                              I don't mind it if it's done the right way.
                              DisneyTwins
                              Since May 2003

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Re: Mermaids coming to POTC - finally confirmed by Disney Blog

                                Originally posted by Pizzapants View Post
                                MK's Pirates ride is already a contrived addition that really only erodes the original attraction.
                                Not really. The idea of the Florida Pirates is that it's cutting out the middleman of the other versions that is the time travel.

                                The fort you enter is the one in the ride and before they drowned it out with movie music, you could hear the soldiers preparing for battle against the pirates. The guests are directed to the boat dock to evacuate the fort, the boats taking you through an old cavern full of dead men not telling tales, and then you drop right off to the sea-side of the fort.



                                A detour to Murmaider Island is more damaging to this flow of show then all the other movie stuff forced in there.
                                M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E
                                sigpic
                                Flickr

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  Re: Mermaids coming to POTC - finally confirmed by Disney Blog

                                  Mermaids do NOT tie into the nature of the attraction because the entire attraction is reality based. There is NO fantasy in PoC. We're going back in time to see how real 1700s pirates lived and fought at sea. Ridculous to claim that mythological figures, not to mention waterfalls w/ faces on them, fit...

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    Re: Mermaids coming to POTC - finally confirmed by Disney Blog

                                    Then what about the pirate skeletons that are magically moving and steering rafts in the beginning? That's not part of my reality...

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      Re: Mermaids coming to POTC - finally confirmed by Disney Blog

                                      Originally posted by SeeJackRunn View Post
                                      Then what about the pirate skeletons that are magically moving and steering rafts in the beginning? That's not part of my reality...
                                      True & neither is the skeleton that is drinking. Time travel itself isn't reality.


                                      If the addition is very discreet I don't mind. Like you seeing their shadows on the walls of the cave or something like that.

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        Re: Mermaids coming to POTC - finally confirmed by Disney Blog

                                        From what I've heard (and I don't have sources, just speculation) they will probably be more desecrate than the other additions. The attraction is reality with a touch of fantasy. If they add the mermaids and incorporate them the right way, it could possibly add a little "mystique" to the attraction.
                                        DisneyTwins
                                        Since May 2003

                                        Comment

                                        Get Away Today Footer

                                        Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X