Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Walt Disney World Overrated in 2012?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • [Question] Is Walt Disney World Overrated in 2012?

    When I first saw the counterpart to this thread in the Disneyland section
    I thought it was a weird question for a Disney website,
    but then I read some interesting replies
    and thought I'd like to read what folks thought about WDW today.

    Your responses could influence our future vacation plans
    so please write responsibly.

    :smart: :geek: :ap: :rules: :crazylegs :csmile: :rant: :thumbup: :verymad: :angel:

  • #2
    Re: Is Walt Disney World Overrated in 2012?

    The parks are. The resort isn't.

    The hotels, the lagoon, and everything else that isn't in the parks are just awe-inspiring.

    Can't say the same for the parks. While Animal Kingdom and the World Showcase are amazing, Disney Hollywood Studios lacks a cohesive theme, and Future World at Epcot got off track of "human achievement" a long time ago.

    Magic Kingdom lacks in quality (besides Fantasyland Forest), to be blunt. If you've been to Disneyland before, you'll definitely be disappointed. Though its missing Matterhorn and New Orleans Square, the park has attractions you can't find in Disneyland, including Country Bear Jamboree, Disney's Philarmagic, Monster Inc. Laugh Floor, Carousel of Progress, People Mover, and Stitch's Great Escape.
    Fear of the unknown.

    They are afraid of new ideas.


    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.










    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Is Walt Disney World Overrated in 2012?

      no.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Is Walt Disney World Overrated in 2012?

        Originally posted by Chesire View Post
        The parks are. The resort isn't.

        The hotels, the lagoon, and everything else that isn't in the parks are just awe-inspiring.

        Can't say the same for the parks. While Animal Kingdom and the World Showcase are amazing, Disney Hollywood Studios lacks a cohesive theme, and Future World at Epcot got off track of "human achievement" a long time ago.

        Magic Kingdom lacks in quality (besides Fantasyland Forest), to be blunt. If you've been to Disneyland before, you'll definitely be disappointed. Though its missing Matterhorn and New Orleans Square, the park has attractions you can't find in Disneyland, including Country Bear Jamboree, Disney's Philarmagic, Monster Inc. Laugh Floor, Carousel of Progress, People Mover, and Stitch's Great Escape.
        Can you please just stop. I do not get why you are always disparaging and belittling Magic Kingdom. Just because you think Disneyland is superior does not give you the right to say Magic Kingdom is terrible. Stop comparing Disneyland and Magic Kingdom and recognize them for what they are individually. Even now you are saying that it has stuff that is not in Disneyland. Why even bring it up? They are two totally different parks. Almost every single post of yours (it's hard to forget with that face as your profile) have something negative to say about Magic Kingdom. Why?

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Is Walt Disney World Overrated in 2012?

          Originally posted by WDW1971 View Post
          Can you please just stop. I do not get why you are always disparaging and belittling Magic Kingdom. Just because you think Disneyland is superior does not give you the right to say Magic Kingdom is terrible. Stop comparing Disneyland and Magic Kingdom and recognize them for what they are individually. Even now you are saying that it has stuff that is not in Disneyland. Why even bring it up? They are two totally different parks. Almost every single post of yours (it's hard to forget with that face as your profile) have something negative to say about Magic Kingdom. Why?


          Let's not do this, WDW1971. Offer your thoughts and reasons why the original poster should go to WDW. Do not attack other people's responses. Please and thank you. This is a discussion board and they have their right to post what they feel.


          Visit my mice chat toy shop!
          http://micechat.com/forums/merchandi...oy-shoppe.html

          Track Disney Animation Presence in the Theme Parks Worldwide!
          http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ired-them.html

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Is Walt Disney World Overrated in 2012?

            Originally posted by WDW1971 View Post
            Just because you think Disneyland is superior does not give you the right to say Magic Kingdom is terrible.
            Actually, it does.

            But no, WDW is not overrated, not yet, but they better get their stuff together because competing parks in the near vicinity are starting to pack a wallop. But WDW can still get its foot in the door and get the ball rolling again. Disneyland did about 10 years ago!

            Click the banner! ^^^^
            Follow us on Twitter
            @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
            Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Is Walt Disney World Overrated in 2012?

              Originally posted by WDW1971 View Post
              Can you please just stop. I do not get why you are always disparaging and belittling Magic Kingdom. Just because you think Disneyland is superior does not give you the right to say Magic Kingdom is terrible. Stop comparing Disneyland and Magic Kingdom and recognize them for what they are individually. Even now you are saying that it has stuff that is not in Disneyland. Why even bring it up? They are two totally different parks. Almost every single post of yours (it's hard to forget with that face as your profile) have something negative to say about Magic Kingdom. Why?
              Just offering my two cents on WDW... which is what this thread is asking about? I know my views aren't popular, but I'm still allowed to say them. I wasn't attacking WDW.

              ---------- Post added 09-21-2012 at 04:20 PM ----------

              Originally posted by Pizzapants View Post
              Actually, it does.

              But no, WDW is not overrated, not yet, but they better get their stuff together because competing parks in the near vicinity are starting to pack a wallop. But WDW can still get its foot in the door and get the ball rolling again. Disneyland did about 10 years ago!
              It can, and it should, it's a great park, it just needs to get some things fixed.
              Fear of the unknown.

              They are afraid of new ideas.


              You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.










              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Is Walt Disney World Overrated in 2012?

                Originally posted by Chesire View Post
                The parks are. The resort isn't.

                The hotels, the lagoon, and everything else that isn't in the parks are just awe-inspiring.

                Can't say the same for the parks. While Animal Kingdom and the World Showcase are amazing, Disney Hollywood Studios lacks a cohesive theme, and Future World at Epcot got off track of "human achievement" a long time ago.

                Magic Kingdom lacks in quality (besides Fantasyland Forest), to be blunt. If you've been to Disneyland before, you'll definitely be disappointed. Though its missing Matterhorn and New Orleans Square, the park has attractions you can't find in Disneyland, including Country Bear Jamboree, Disney's Philarmagic, Monster Inc. Laugh Floor, Carousel of Progress, People Mover, and Stitch's Great Escape.
                I'm curious how many times you have been to WDW. Are you basing your opinion on experience, or "hearsay"? Have you stayed at all of the resorts, or just toured them? What I'm getting at hear is you can listen to 100 people tell you how to fly a plane, but if you've never flown one I'm certainly not going for a ride with you .

                Personally, I've been to WDW 8-10 times over the years. I will be going again the last week in Oct this year for my first "Food and Wine Festival" and I am very excited to be going back. Sure there are somethings I don't like about the parks and resorts, but they are minor things. I'm sure it falls under the old "you can't please everyone all the time" thing.

                When I go to the parks, I look forward to relaxing and having a good time and I haven't been disappointed yet.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Is Walt Disney World Overrated in 2012?

                  Originally posted by maddogjoe View Post
                  Personally, I've been to WDW 8-10 times over the years. I will be going again the last week in Oct this year for my first "Food and Wine Festival" and I am very excited to be going back. Sure there are somethings I don't like about the parks and resorts, but they are minor things. I'm sure it falls under the old "you can't please everyone all the time" thing.

                  When I go to the parks, I look forward to relaxing and having a good time and I haven't been disappointed yet.
                  pretty much the same in how you view this. I've got a trip coming up and I've been about 10 times now before and I'm just as excited for this new trip as i was my very first trip. WDW is amazing and although not flawless, I really don't see a need to tear it down and apart at every thread and at every topic. It's a broken record now that I tune out.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Is Walt Disney World Overrated in 2012?

                    Originally posted by maddogjoe View Post
                    I'm curious how many times you have been to WDW. Are you basing your opinion on experience, or "hearsay"? Have you stayed at all of the resorts, or just toured them? What I'm getting at hear is you can listen to 100 people tell you how to fly a plane, but if you've never flown one I'm certainly not going for a ride with you .
                    I have to agree with this post. Really Chesire, have you even been to WDW? You are making the place sound like it is horrible and no one should bother going to Magic Kingdom because it pales in comparison to Disneyland but has some rides Disneyland does not. I know that this website has a lot of fans of Disneyland and believe it to be the best. I feel that maybe you have been influenced by other perceptions rather than forming your own and actually being there.

                    Seriously, all of the Disney Parks are great places to go. I know I would much rather be at Magic Kingdom, Disneyland, Epcot, DCA, DAK, etc. any day. I would love to be at any Disney Park and experience the Imagineering magic. I do not see as to why people are always pitting the individual Disney Parks against each other. Realize each of them are different and just because you prefer some things about one does not make the others inferior. They are unique places and should be respected for what they are, not what they compare to. Stop looking at everything through the eyes of only being at Disneyland/others comments.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Is Walt Disney World Overrated in 2012?

                      WDW was at the top of its game in the 80s and 90s...so much so that WDW had a much stronger television and advertising presence to the point that people would forget that there was a Disneyland unless you lived in southern California.

                      It's definitely not what it use to be and it's not just because of the wear-out of the resort but the management's One Disney initiative which sucked away much of WDW's identity. The focus and attention was placed back on Disneyland ever since the 50th anniversary and the recent DCA makeover.

                      Hopefully maybe WDW will experience a renaissance by the time of its 50th anniversary, but it's got a lot of work to do as a whole to get it back in shape for such a revival.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Is Walt Disney World Overrated in 2012?

                        Originally posted by WDW1971 View Post
                        I have to agree with this post. Really Chesire, have you even been to WDW? You are making the place sound like it is horrible and no one should bother going to Magic Kingdom because it pales in comparison to Disneyland but has some rides Disneyland does not.
                        Why would I have strong opinions to a park I haven't been too?

                        Kinda annoyed I'm being interrogated about whether or whether not I've been to WDW just because I have un-popular opinions about the parks.
                        Fear of the unknown.

                        They are afraid of new ideas.


                        You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.










                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Is Walt Disney World Overrated in 2012?

                          Originally posted by Chesire View Post
                          Just offering my two cents on WDW... which is what this thread is asking about? I know my views aren't popular, but I'm still allowed to say them. I wasn't attacking WDW.
                          Your views on WDW vs. DL are more popular than you might think -- a lot of people not only feel the same way, but are much more critical of WDW than you are.

                          To the thread's question "Is Walt Disney World Overrated?" my answer is that given its reputation, heritage and what it costs to vacation there, I think it's one of the most overrated, overpriced, overhyped and undermaintained tourist traps on the planet.

                          That's my opinion.
                          "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                          it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                          together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                          designed to appeal to everyone."

                          - Walt Disney

                          "Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                          - Michael Eisner

                          "It's very symbiotic."
                          - Bob Chapek

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Is Walt Disney World Overrated in 2012?

                            I am really looking forward to my next journey to the Magic Kingdom in Disney World. I haven't been there since 2009, and that visit was less magical than I hoped it would be. Sure I had a good time, but I came back without the desire to return as soon as possible. In past trips, I came home excited and wanting more. In 2009, I came home, and decided that I would wait until Disney did something new to entice me back.

                            So now that Fantasyland is almost complete, I am looking forward to being delighted once more. Magic Kingdom was always a special place in the past, and I hope it becomes that still again.

                            ---------- Post added 09-22-2012 at 12:06 AM ----------

                            By the way, I am planning a trip for April.
                            BarbaraAnn

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Is Walt Disney World Overrated in 2012?

                              Considering the fact that the title of this thread invites negative opinions, I don't think anyone should be castigated for being critical here.

                              Yes, maybe there are some posters who are particularly quick to offer up a negative opinion on threads that may not call for it, but I think that a thread that directly asks people to say if they think a park is overrated is meant to be a place to discuss those criticisms.

                              That being said, no, I don't think WDW is overrated. It's certainly not perfect, but it still gives me my required dose of "magic" every time I go, and to me it holds up compared to DLR. What it may lack in cohesive theming is made up for by the experience of being in a gigantic resort that feels completely removed from the real world. And you gotta admit that the crowds at DLR can get pretty intolerable - especially the way Fantasmic just paralyzes half of the park. MK and WDW overall absorb crowds much better.

                              Of course, being a Midwesterner who only gets to visit either of the resorts once in a great while, I'm not in a position to make very direct comparisons, and I am always just so happy to be at any Disney park that I'm not exactly interested in "rating" or "overrating" things

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Re: Is Walt Disney World Overrated in 2012?

                                Originally posted by WDW1971 View Post
                                Can you please just stop. I do not get why you are always disparaging and belittling Magic Kingdom. Just because you think Disneyland is superior does not give you the right to say Magic Kingdom is terrible. Stop comparing Disneyland and Magic Kingdom and recognize them for what they are individually. Even now you are saying that it has stuff that is not in Disneyland. Why even bring it up? They are two totally different parks. Almost every single post of yours (it's hard to forget with that face as your profile) have something negative to say about Magic Kingdom. Why?
                                Bold mine....

                                We are a discussion board, and therefore people discuss not only facts, but opinions. And has to the statement bolded, I've seen the very same thing happen in reverse. People who think WDW is far superior, and who at any opportunity will bash Disneyland.

                                If you can't take it don't dish it out.

                                And everyone has the RIGHT to say whatever their own personal opinions are about something. To tell someone that they don't have a right to voice an opinion, is bordering on censorship. Would you want someone to tell you that you can't voice an opinion about Disneyland?

                                You have already been given on warning by a moderator. Consider this warning number two to drop the personal asides.




                                Help me get more security in Pingvinivlle! Click here!


                                Originally posted by AGhostFromThePast
                                all you need to know about the mommy stick is.. out of all the bad things that could happen to you... it's right between wetting yourself and death.

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  Re: Is Walt Disney World Overrated in 2012?

                                  I'm sorry if I have offended anyone but I am just expressing my right to say what my personal opinions are about something.
                                  Last edited by WDW1971; 09-22-2012, 07:28 AM.

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    Re: Is Walt Disney World Overrated in 2012?

                                    Originally posted by Chesire View Post
                                    Why would I have strong opinions to a park I haven't been too?

                                    Kinda annoyed I'm being interrogated about whether or whether not I've been to WDW just because I have un-popular opinions about the parks.
                                    I'm sorry you feel that way, but for me I'm just trying to see "why" your voicing these opinions. And you still didn't answer the question, How many times have you been to WDW?

                                    If you have been to the park once, and only spent one day there then to me your opinion doesn't hold a lot of water. Seeing as the OP asked... "Your responses could influence our future vacation plans
                                    so please write responsibly." I think having accurate information would be better than basing a decision on an opinion built on a single visit to the park.


                                    There is nothing wrong with posting your opinion, but maybe prefacing it with.... "I've only been to WDW X times, but here's what I think" would help the OP in weighing how relevant your opinion should be in making their decision.

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      Re: Is Walt Disney World Overrated in 2012?

                                      Originally posted by maddogjoe View Post
                                      I'm sorry you feel that way, but for me I'm just trying to see "why" your voicing these opinions. And you still didn't answer the question, How many times have you been to WDW?

                                      If you have been to the park once, and only spent one day there then to me your opinion doesn't hold a lot of water. Seeing as the OP asked... "Your responses could influence our future vacation plans
                                      so please write responsibly." I think having accurate information would be better than basing a decision on an opinion built on a single visit to the park.


                                      There is nothing wrong with posting your opinion, but maybe prefacing it with.... "I've only been to WDW X times, but here's what I think" would help the OP in weighing how relevant your opinion should be in making their decision.
                                      I've been twice. My first visit was in 2008 for 4 days, and my second visit was last August for a week. I know I don't have super relevant opinions, but I remember what I remember, and what I remember wasn't all that great.

                                      Maybe I'm voicing these opinions because the thread asked me too...
                                      Fear of the unknown.

                                      They are afraid of new ideas.


                                      You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.










                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        Re: Is Walt Disney World Overrated in 2012?

                                        Originally posted by Chesire View Post
                                        I've been twice. My first visit was in 2008 for 4 days, and my second visit was last August for a week. I know I don't have super relevant opinions, but I remember what I remember, and what I remember wasn't all that great.

                                        Maybe I'm voicing these opinions because the thread asked me too...
                                        I am sorry that you had a bad time at WDW but I do not see as to why you need to be rude? Any reason in particular why you did not like what you saw at WDW? I find it hard to believe that anyone would think WDW was not great, even coming from someone who goes to Disneyland all the time. Something really bad must have happened to you and I am sorry that it ended up tainting and ruining your opinion and appreciation for WDW. Just because you did not enjoy yourself at WDW I hope that you do not prevent others from enjoying it because 99% of people would love to go to WDW. I hope you give it a second chance and learn not to compare it always to DLR but enjoy it for what it is.

                                        Comment

                                        Get Away Today Footer

                                        Collapse
                                        Working...
                                        X