Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Universe of Energy in it's current state.

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Universe of Energy in it's current state.

Originally posted by BandM View Post

A "green" energy sponsor could be a nice boost for Disney to update the ride instead of another oil giant like Exxon.
    Originally posted by HMF View Post
    The only problem is if you get an oil company to sponsor it, they will want topush it in the "more fossil fuels" direction that I think would be a bad idea.
    For example.
    The Simpsons: Electric Car of the Future - YouTube
    I agree with the both of you. I definitely think that a "green" sponsor is definitely the way to go. However, considering a lot of "green" companies seem to struggle enough as it is to get the money in order to do their programs, they more than likely won't invest in something such as this.

And when it comes to another oil company sponsoring the ride, it's natural that the ride would be aimed to promote "more fossil fuels". That is the point in sponsorship. They're not going to want to promote the idea of "going green" and using recycling and solar power in order to create energy.

To me it will be a miracle if UOE gets another sponsor.

I'm usually very optimistic and the ride may continue to operate for awhile. However, it seems as if once it loses it's sponsor it's definitely the end. It may still be in operation for awhile, we do not know. However, if it still operates for years to come I do not know whether it will get another sponsor, or not. It seems as if once a ride loses their main sponsor (and this ride had theirs for over 20 years), that they never get another one. The reasons why they never get another sponsor is not only due to less popularity of the ride, but Disney's lack of motivation to upkeep the ride and renovate it (which if they did would make it more popular and alive, but yet they don't).

Comment

Honestly... if I had my wish... this Show building is so massive, I really wish we could see a trackless darkride, like pooh's honey hunt, but all about Doctor who... think about the grand sets, adventures, you could have through time and space!
      Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

Comment

Originally posted by DisCollector View Post
        I agree with the both of you. I definitely think that a "green" sponsor is definitely the way to go. However, considering a lot of "green" companies seem to struggle enough as it is to get the money in order to do their programs, they more than likely won't invest in something such as this.

And when it comes to another oil company sponsoring the ride, it's natural that the ride would be aimed to promote "more fossil fuels". That is the point in sponsorship. They're not going to want to promote the idea of "going green" and using recycling and solar power in order to create energy.

To me it will be a miracle if UOE gets another sponsor.

I'm usually very optimistic and the ride may continue to operate for awhile. However, it seems as if once it loses it's sponsor it's definitely the end. It may still be in operation for awhile, we do not know. However, if it still operates for years to come I do not know whether it will get another sponsor, or not. It seems as if once a ride loses their main sponsor (and this ride had theirs for over 20 years), that they never get another one. The reasons why they never get another sponsor is not only due to less popularity of the ride, but Disney's lack of motivation to upkeep the ride and renovate it (which if they did would make it more popular and alive, but yet they don't).
        Maybe a sponsor that isn't a "green" company but a company that pushes for green tech? Something like Google maybe? Anyway, yeah it's on life support at this point, when it becomes too expensive to maintain I wouldn't be surprised to hear about a new "event" pavilion opening up at EPCOT.
        Originally posted by KingEric View Post
        Honestly... if I had my wish... this Show building is so massive, I really wish we could see a trackless darkride, like pooh's honey hunt, but all about Doctor who... think about the grand sets, adventures, you could have through time and space!
        Why Doctor Who? Don't get me wrong it's a good show but it goes against Future Worlds idea, it's an educational show that turned into an adventure show. Other then having a machine with a fantastic sounding parking brake and a screwdriver not much else is futuristic.

Comment

Why Doctor Who? Don't get me wrong it's a good show but it goes against Future Worlds idea, it's an educational show that turned into an adventure show. Other then having a machine with a fantastic sounding parking brake and a screwdriver not much else is futuristic.
          Doctor who can travel to the future... FUTURE WORLD! lol

Comment

Here's the massive overhaul I'd like to see in an attraction NOT sponsored by any outside company:

* Entry/waiting area -- A cast member welcomes the audience and explains that they are about to see the most elaborate animation ever attempted by Pixar Animation Studios, one that goes back to the dawn of time and imagines the Big Bang ... the start of all energy -- what follows is an animation segment that could also bring back Radok blocks that offers a complex, massive exploration of what might have happened in the big bang. (Think of the big bang sequence that exists, but infinitely more detailed and interpretive.) Set it to an original piece of music by a composer like Hans Zimmer or Michael Giacchino.

* Load area -- keep the same concept of the load and go back to the simple, original idea of using voiceover narration in a darkened theater to maintain the same idea of picking up the story during the time of the dinosaurs. Except broaden the discussion of fossil fuels (still our most important source of daily energy) to explain that because these building blocks of oil are millions of years old, they are not inexhaustible. Then use the concept of a jaw-dropping animated sequence using hand-drawn animation techniques on that massive screen. Set up some dinosaur "characters" with a very small storyline (a mother and child get chased) that can be extended into the AA setting. Focus on the different TYPES of creatures and organic matter found during the prehistoric era -- through animation, we get an in-depth exploration of what this era might have looked like, and then the narrator intones that we are going back in time to see this era for ourselves.

* AA area -- This remains mostly the same, but the characters we were introduced to are added to continue the storyline a little bit ... our "heroes" are seen in all three major areas of the AA section until their escape seems assured, and then ... the meteors begin to fall.

* Second film area -- As the vehicles line up, a narrator explains that what happened next paved the way for humans ... and ultimately for our energy needs. The demise of the dinosaurs was only the start. This brings us to a dramatic depiction of the Extinction Level Event, and we use CG animation to speed through millions of years of human development ... a less humorous but more artistically ambitious "montage" than exists now. This is where the narrator explains that the fuels created during the prehistoric era will run out ... and our efforts today focus on a variety of alternative energies. We are given a basic primer on nuclear energy (a brief look at how it works), solar energy (dramatic shots of solar arrays around the world), bio-fuels (description of how these are created), wind energy (beautiful shots of wind turbines in dramatic locations), geothermal energy (computer animation takes us beneath the surface of the earth) -- this is a kinetic, beautiful, hyper-energetic sequence that makes us aware that we have CHOICES, and to ensure future success, our choices today will determine the world tomorrow. This blends live-action film segments and CG and utilizes high-frame-rate projection.

* Final film area -- A completely re-created version of the song "Energy" opens a montage that shows the FUTURE of energy research, combining images of new cars, new high-speed transportation, new home construction with the latest technologies, and other visual images that underscore how energy creation and use permeates EVERYTHING we do ... the music in this segment feels strangely familiar, and that's because we realize it's a re-orchestrated version of the original Universe of Energy theme. Now, everything in this room comes to bright life ... the whole interior of the room seems to glow and buzz with movement and, well, energy. Suddenly, it stops. The narrator returns with a very short film that starts with depressing images from the 1960s and '70s of polluted cities and says that not too long ago, we were pessimistic about our energy future and our reliance on one basic source of energy. Today (and here, the video image takes over EVERYTHING, similar to the Fremont Street Experience in Las Vegas), we are realizing our WHOLE UNIVERSE is a potential source of renewable energy for us moving forward. The sun, the wind, the earth itself will bring us forward into a future that will impact every one of us ... a future universe of energy that will never end!

With a massive crescendo of music and image ... everything goes dark! But just for a moment, because smart energy will never be exhausted. The lights come on, exit music plays and we depart the show with a sense that there's more to energy than we had ever imagined, and there are many reasons to be optimistic and to learn more.

Comment

Wow, for some reason that slipped out of mind for a second, point taken.

Comment

Wow, for some reason that slipped out of mind for a second, point taken.
                Just think the Good Doctor could teach us about the future of energy... it could be epic

Comment

Just think the Good Doctor could teach us about the future of energy... it could be epic
                  Yeah only problem is it would get dated fairly quickly we all know how TDO just hates updating rides. I doubt they'd like the idea of a ride where they have to redress AAs and sets every few years. Could be cool, though. I'd love to be able to hit the Wibbly lever.

Comment

Yeah only problem is it would get dated fairly quickly we all know how TDO just hates updating rides. I doubt they'd like the idea of a ride where they have to redress AAs and sets every few years.
                    Perhaps, then, they should be in another line of work.

Comment

Tommorowland is where science fiction should go. Epcot is supposed to be about reality.

Comment

Tommorowland is where science fiction should go. Epcot is supposed to be about reality.
                        They've already crossed that line years ago, they might as well pull the Future out of Future World.

Comment

They've already crossed that line years ago, they might as well pull the Future out of Future World.
                          epcots two sections .... World and world showcase lol

Comment

epcots two sections .... World and world showcase lol
                            Not much of a Showcase either they should take Showcase out. Let them unify everything and call EPCOT, Ball Park.

Comment

The attraction still has some good left in it, such as the amazing Bruce Broughton music (which is way too epic and sweeping considering the subject matter is the search for various sources of energy)... and of course the educational material not much dated. Unfortunately much of the references are ancient (such as nods to Bill Nye's long-gone PBS series), and a reboot would be nice.

I was thinking something possibly Phineas and Ferb related, but that could date the attraction even quicker than Ellen/Bill Nye did. I'm sure when they do, it'll be something timeless. (or we can only hope)

Comment

Originally posted by goldenstate5 View Post
                                The attraction still has some good left in it, such as the amazing Bruce Broughton music (which is way too epic and sweeping considering the subject matter is the search for various sources of energy)... and of course the educational material not much dated. Unfortunately much of the references are ancient (such as nods to Bill Nye's long-gone PBS series), and a reboot would be nice.
                                Yeah the score for the attraction is phenomenal, I'd say it even surpasses Buddy baker's score for the original. I'd definitely be interesting to see a reboot of Nye's show but he's obviously past his prime.
                                I was thinking something possibly Phineas and Ferb related, but that could date the attraction even quicker than Ellen/Bill Nye did. I'm sure when they do, it'll be something timeless. (or we can only hope)
                                Oh god please no, the park already has Phineas and Ferb painted all over it, it doesn't need more.

Comment

So how do you explain Horizons, an attaction that was all about the future? Seemed awfully science fiction-y to me!

Comment

Originally posted by danyoung View Post
                                    So how do you explain Horizons, an attaction that was all about the future? Seemed awfully science fiction-y to me!
                                    Or Body Wars, Mission Space, The Living Seas, etc.... All had/have educational/ reallife aspects but were science fiction.
                                    Check out my Disney inspired creations.

https://picasaweb.google.com/110319393135337100862

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                    Working...
                                    X