What are your "Disney World" Credentials?

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Barbaraann
    Chicago Gal
    • Apr 2005

[Question] What are your "Disney World" Credentials?

I started this same question in the Disneyland forum, and I thought it should be asked here in the Disney World Forum as well.

Basically, sometimes when I am reading the posts here on MiceChat, I begin to wonder about a person's background. Their park experience. Their Disney World experience, to be specific.

Things like: When was your first visit? How often do you visit? How long, in days, are your visits on average? How do you feel about Disney World as a whole? What type of tickets do you usually buy? Do you have a favorite park? Do you have a favorite memory. Do you have and park traditions? Have you ever traveled there alone?

A person is defined by their experiences, I believe. It sometimes comes across loudly in their posts. Then again, sometimes it doesn't, and that's what prompted me to ask the question.

I will follow up with my own credentials very soon.. I'd love to read yours.
    BarbaraAnn

• Barbaraann
    Chicago Gal
    • Apr 2005

Re: What are your "Disney World" Credentials?

My first trip to Disney World was back in 1997. It seemed like everyone that I knew had gone there but me. So my husband finally agreed to a trip, and in 1997 we took our four year old grandson to Disney World. It was a wonderful vacation. The castle was a cake because Disney World was celebrating it's 25th birthday, and I was celebrating my 50th. My husband loved the boat that took us across the Seven Seas Lagoon, and still talks about the Electrical Water Pageant. I discovered Spectromagic, and delighted in the sight of Jiminy Cricket my favorite character.

I always wanted to go back, and I finally did. That happened in 2003, when my grandson was now 10. We splurged and stayed at the Contemporary Hotel which was a dream come true. We did all the fun stuff. Character Meals, Mini Golf, Swimming, and all 4 parks. Many magical moments defined that trip. The three of us, that's me, my grandson, and his mom returned twice after that. 2004, and 2005, Those were equally wonderful vacations.

I have been on 7 Disney World vacations, and I enjoyed them all. I love staying on property, and closing out the outside world. I had a wish of working my way around to staying in all of the hotels at least once, but I don't think that wish is going to come true. Money is the main reason, although I am returning to Disney World hopefully, in 2013, and staying at a nearby timeshare to save some money.

I love Magic Kingdom out of all 4 parks. I love the monorail, and Seven Seas Lagoon. I have had Tea at the Grand Floridian, and treated my self to two nights there on my 2006 vacation. My grandson and I took a fishing excursion, and I must say that was a whole lot of fun. Almost as much fun as seeing him dance with Cinderella in the castle.

Disney World is a magical place filled with wonderful things to do, and one can never go wrong planning a vacation there.

I always get a parkhopper, have never had an annual pass. I have eaten at so many of the wonderful restaurants there, and I look forward to the New Fantasyland, because Fantasyland is my favorite Land in the MK.

Disney World was my first introduction to the Disney Parks, and has brought me a lot of enjoyment. I love touring by myself, as well as with friends, and I absolutely love taking lots of pictures.

I went in 2007 for the Christmas Season, and that was one of my favorite vacations in Disney World. Everyone should experience that at least once in their lives.
    BarbaraAnn

Comment

• swampymarsh
      Under that tree again!
      • Nov 2011

Originally posted by Barbaraann View Post
      Things like: When was your first visit?
      1980 maybe a few years before. I was young it's hard to remember for sure. But it rivals my early memories from DL.

How often do you visit?
      It's really change. When I was growing up a trip every 3-5 years. After college a couple times. The last several year a couple times a year.

How long, in days, are your visits on average?
      It's probably 6 days.

How do you feel about Disney World as a whole?
      I really feel like I'm on vacation when I go and enjoy it. I wish it would change more often with new additions.

What type of tickets do you usually buy?
      From ticket books to Premier AP.

Do you have a favorite park?
      Epcot, by far.

Do you have a favorite memory.
      When Epcot opened and going on the Universe of Energy, I saw Dinosaurs.

Do you have and park traditions?
      On some older visits, I drank around the world. A drink from each country's pavillion in Epcot.

Have you ever traveled there alone?
      Yes. Once I met my Grand Parents at the Orlando Airport. Another time I was out that way so I went to Disneyworld for a couple days.
      Be Cool Stay in School!
      Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

Comment

• Aotphks
        MiceChatter
        • Jul 2011

Hmmm I find this question a bit confusing. What do you mean by "credentials"? Or are you asking for "tips" for added enjoyment at the Disney parks?
        Originally posted by Barbaraann View Post
        A person is defined by their experiences,
        Hmmm, I think a person is defined more by their character, which would remain central and true to an individual regardless of how many experiences you have in life.

Comment

• KingEric
          is in Antarctica
          MiceChat Round-Up Crew
          • Oct 2007

When was your first visit?

How often do you visit?

Do you have a favorite memory?

Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

Comment

• KingEric
            is in Antarctica
            MiceChat Round-Up Crew
            • Oct 2007

How often do you visit?
            Once a week

I am a local

Mixed feelings, I love what it means to me personally, but I am sad to see what has happened to the resort over the past decade.

Premium Annual

Each park is a favorite for different reasons... but if I had to say which park I love to just walk around in, that would be Animal Kingdom

Watching WISHES on my College Program... it made me cry.

Sadly being a local has gotten rid of my old traditions. It used to be that everyone in my family would buy a glass figurine every time we visited.

Have you ever traveled there alone
            I did do a trip solo trip back in 2005 which convinced me to move back down.
            Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

Comment

• DisneySam
              New MiceChatter
              • Aug 2011

I was brought to WDW a few months after it opened in '71 (I was only a few months old at the time) and have been coming back again and again ever since. For the past 12 years my wife and I have had annual passes and we are DVC members. I even worked for Disney at the reservations center for a couple of years. That's where my wife and I first met. We live an hour from the parks so we make regular visits per year.

Comment

• ORD84
                MiceChatter
                • Jul 2009

1985 I was 1 year old

How often do you visit?
                about once a year

A couple of days, usually it varies between one day and a week, most of which is spent on property, but not necessarily always in the parks.

I enjoy my time there, but I think that there's ALOT of room of improvement
                one or two day park hoppers

used to be MGM Studios, now I'm not sure if I have a favorite

Seeing my favorite characters for the first time

Do you have any park traditions?
                Sometimes I do drink around the world, mostly though I just start off with just a nice relaxing day by the pool, and start off jogging around the resort I'm staying at in the morning.

Used to all the time when I was in the College Program
                The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
                -George S. Patton

Comment

• maddogjoe
                  MiceChatter
                  • Nov 2007

1976. When I completed boot camp for the Navy my Mom, sister, and Aunt came down for the ceremony and we all went to Disney before we went home.
                  How often do you visit?

I try to go back every couple years.

Average is about 7, some visits we stayed 2 weeks

I love it. I hope they do the big make over like they did at DL when everyone was crying about how bad that park looked.

Park hoppers

EPCOT, I love just wandering around the world showcase.

On one trip I have the best two. In the mid 90's we went with my kids 6+8 and brought my in-laws. We went to the "Hoop-tee-doo" Review. My mother in law is terrified of stuffed animal heads but she wasn't going to miss seeing the grand kids have a good time. Wouldn't you know, at the end of the big opening sequence they slammed a jug of water down on our table right next to her. I took us a half hour to calm her down, and my father in law couldn't stop laughing.

Two days later we went to Sea World and at the stingray petting area some teenager was leaning way over to touch a big ray. He slipped and fell head first into the pool, and again I have never seen my father in law laugh so hard! Alas, he is no longer with us, but I'll never forget him laughing himself to tears!

Always ride the boat to Magic Kingdom the first time over. The view seeing that castle rise up as we get closer still gets me.

No but I almost did. The trip for work got canceled other wise I'd have been just down the street.

In the last 30 years I've been more than a dozen times. My kids are now 24 +26 and they both came with us again last November when we went. It just never gets old. I forget about everything in the real world and just completely relax. It's the only place I've found that does that so completely.

Comment

• danyoung
                    Super Old Guy
                    • Jan 2005

Interesting thread concept, Barbaraann. Here's my input -

Spring of 1979. I was a road musician, and we were playing a one nighter nearby and had a day off. I had been following the development of WDW since the mid-60's, and grew up in SoCal with multiple visits to DL each year. So I was totally excited about my first visit to the East Coast park!

How often do you visit?
                    I'm trying to up the frequency of my visits. For the past few months I've been visiting every other month or so, usually for a long 4 day weekend.

WDW and DL are my main places to vacaish, to get away from day to day life and enjoy the fantasy for a few days, ride the rides, eat the fine meals, and enjoy the scenery and the people!

I'm an annual passholder to both WDW and DL. Now with the big price increases in DL APs, I'm going to buy a Premier Pass this spring.

Epcot is by far my favorite. Not really for the attractions, although I love them and the entertainment. But there's just something about the vibe of the place that speaks to me. Having a big meal, enjoying some time at the Rose & Crown Pub, and then seeing IllumiNations for the umpteenth time is really special for me!

Do you have a favorite memory.
                    For my 40th birthday I planned on taking my first official scuba dive in the Living Seas. I took diving lessons for weeks, and had my certification in time for my trip. I really loved the dive - the ease of it, the excellent care of the instructors, and actually being on the other side of the glass for the first time! Afterwards, as I was closing the park down, I was in the Centorium watching Pluto playing with some kids. He was grabbing hats, running away with them, etc. I was chatting with his handler, and I mentioned that it had been a terrific 40th birthday. Somehow she got word to Pluto, and the next thing I knew Pluto was pulling me up onto a bench while the handler was explaining that it was my birthday and Pluto wanted everyone to sing Happy Birthday to me. So there I was, with Pluto and about 20 people I'd never met singing to me - just an incredibly cool memory!

I almost always travel alone. Just a single 56 year old park stormer that's almost always happy as a clam!!!

Comment

• Barbaraann
                      Chicago Gal
                      • Apr 2005

Excellent Post Dan.

I thank everyone who has posted in this thread so far. It is this type of responses that I was looking for.

A person's history, and experience in the parks makes up their credentials. We are all different, and it is those differences that I find fascinating. I hope more MiceChatters will share.
                      BarbaraAnn

Comment

• aimster
                        Waiting for my E-Ticket

• May 2005

Back in 1978

How often do you visit?
                        Depends on if I have an AP or not. If I have an AP, then once a month. If no AP, then maybe once or twice a year.

Again it depends. Sometimes I just do a day trip since I live less than 100 miles away. Other times I'll stay overnight (off-property) and do a 2 day trip.

I like it well enough (obviously), but there's always room for improvement.

I have an AP right now, but if I don't have an AP, I get the Florida resident 3/4 day play pass that's good for 3/4 visits over a 6 month period.

Epcot. I could live there.

Not really.

I almost always go alone. It's easier that way. By myself I can get there when I want, see what I want, when I want. Eat when I want, leave when I want... it's all on MY timetable.

Comment

• tofubeast
                          Dreamer
                          • Jul 2006

Originally posted by KingEric View Post

July 1990 to WDW. (I was living in CA at the time. Side note: I went to Disneyland frequently as a kid)

How often do you visit?
                          Since moving to FL in '05, I've gone anywhere from annually, to a few times a year.

Usually from 3-7 days.

I love Disney World. As Disneyland was my former home park, I spent a lot of time initially comparing the resorts. I've kind of eased up on the comparisons, and now focus more on what the parks have to offer. While I do see improvements that are needed or missed opportunities, I have a favorable opinion of WDW. Now that I have a young child, it is even more fun to see it through her eyes.

AP or if only going once for the year, AAA FL resident tickets

EPCOT. I used to kind of dismiss MK as I would make LOTS of comparisons to DL. But I will say, now that I have a toddler, I am REALLY enjoying MK. I have a fabulous visit to WDW last month and spent 3.5 days at MK! Way more than the other parks.

Of WDW? I love my memory of the long-gone attracts at EPCOT. So glad I got to visit back in its heyday. Recent memory, seeing the parades etc with our toddler. There are lots of shows and rides we would skip pre-child, and now it was fun to do with her.

There are restaurants or snacks we just have to enjoy during our visit. I usually want to enjoy at least one character meal. There are certain pictures we take each visit. I always stop in front of the Partners statue and take a few moments to silently thank Walt.

I have visited EPCOT and DHS alone. I enjoyed every moment. I would like to do this again in the future (but it will be harder as our daughter grows up.) If she becomes a Disney nerd like me, she probably won't let me go alone!

Comment

• Barbaraann
                            Chicago Gal
                            • Apr 2005

I am enjoying the responses. I have a real fondness for Disney World, since it was the first Disney Park that I ever visited, and the one that I visited the most with my grandson. I have a trip coming up in April, and despite the fact that I am not staying on property I am really looking forward to getting reaquainted with the parks, and the feelings they made me feel.
                            BarbaraAnn

Comment

• redrhino54
                              Junker
                              • Oct 2008

How often do you visit?
                              Used to visit every winter, at least twice. Havent been there since 2005, but im going there in Feb.

Ive stayed in the Disney area for 3 weeks , and ive snuck in for a 1 day visit. On the ave., 7 days.

WDW is my resting and relaxing oasis. When im there, i do everything, or i do as little as i feel like doing.

Depends n the length of the stay.

They all have their good points, but to me, the Magic Kingdom will always be my fav.

Has to be the time when i celebrated my first retirement by inviting all my brothers , sisters, and their families down , and had a great time. My first visit is one ill never forget, too.

Yep, when i first get into the MK, as i walk towards the Castle, i sing to myself, the old clubhouse song....lol

Yes. I used to got to Florida on business, and id sneek away and hit a park. I find that visiting alone, i can take my time and get some great pics. Its also a good time to do the odd stuff that you dont take time to do when with others.

Comment

• joanna71985
                                Characters are my friends
                                • Sep 2006

My first trip was in 1986, when I was 1. My family would go every 1-3 years when I was growing up, so I was a Disney fan early on. When I was in college I did the College Program 6 times (and also was a chaperone for my HS band/choir when they went to WDW, during my last year in college). After my last CP, I stayed in Orlando, so I still go to WDW all the time. My favorite park would have to be MK, just because it's always been the one I've enjoyed going to the most. And yes, I've gone to WDW on my own before (plus one solo trip when I was still living in NJ).
                                Many as a kid (1986-1998)Aug 98- Port OrleansMarch 03- Jr Band Trip (offsite)Aug 03- Port OrleansJan 12-Aug 5, 05- CP (CS)Jan 1-5, 06- AS Sports (Solo Trip)May 24, 06 to Jan 5, 07- CP (CS)Jan 31-Feb 3, 07- offsite (solo trip)March 1-3, 2007- Dad + Me (offsite)May 16-Aug 10, 07- CP (CS)Aug 10-12, 07- GF/P&PMay 21-Aug 15, 08- CP (PC)Aug 15-18, 08- AKLMarch 25-29, 09 (off-site)Aug 10, 09-Jan 2, 10- CP (CS)Jan 3-May 14, 2010- CP (CS)Feb 12-16, 2012: DCL DreamOct 20-27, 2012: DCL Fantasy (East)Sept 8-12, 2013: DCL DreamJan 20-24, 2014: DCL MagicFeb 17/18, 2015 AS Music

Jan 12- Aug 5, 2005- Fantasyland Merchandise
                                May 24, 2006 to Jan 5, 2007- Character Attendant
                                May 16- Aug 10, 2007- Epcot WS Custodial/Seasonal CA
                                May 21- July 5, 2008: Casey's (QSFB); July 6-Aug 15, 2008: character attendant
                                Aug 10, 2009-Jan 2, 2010: Toy Story Mania
                                Jan 3-May 14, 2010: Great Movie Ride
                                May 16, 2010~ Fulltime

Comment

• sbk1234
                                  formerly very helpful
                                  • Sep 2007

My first visit was in 1988. They were in the middle of building Disney Studios.

How often do you visit?

I'd love to visit more often, but my visits have been only every few years or so. I've visited in 1988, 1990, 1994, 1996, 1999, 2003.

I don't know if there's an average visit, but I try to be there a week when I go. Longer would really be nice.

As a whole, I think Disney World is great. Such a wonderful escape from Reality Land.

When I can, I try to buy a Length of Stay Pass. Although I think now it's called the Magic Your Way pass.

My favorite park is EPCOT. Perhaps because I live fairly close to Disneyland, and Magic Kingdom is too similar. True, EPCOT isn't the park that it once was, but I still love it.

Lots of them. Spending a honeymoon there was wonderful. Walking with my kids through Magic Kingdom. Having the waitress bring me a birthday cake and everyone in 50s Diner singing to me, even though it wasn't my birthday. Strolling hand in hand with my daughter around the lake at our hotel.

Just get there as early as possible, and stay as long as possible.
                                  Have you ever traveled there alone? And I always have to eat in the Sci-Fi Dine-In, and 50s Prime Time Cafe at the Studios.

Only on one trip and it was INCREDIBLE!! I got to do everything I wanted, when I wanted. No consulting with anyone or compromising! The only drag was at mealtimes, but usually the waiters and waitresses would chat it up with me.
                                  http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
                                  http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ip-report.html
                                  http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...something.html

No matter where you go, there you are.

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                                  Working...
                                  X