This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why MyMagic+ is a Bad Idea

And some people are like you - who won't have any issues.

And then there's the rest of us.

You say "used with some common sense" but that's exactly one of the things that makes me nervous: I don't expect much common sense from a marketing department. Ever. They'll want to inflict this on everybody, and will abuse the data as much as they are allowed and then some.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

Comment

I just booked a WDW vacation and I'm having a hard enough time trying to book dining in advance because its hard enough figuring out where I want to eat in several months. On the one hand, the idea of also having to do this for attractions stresses me out.

HOWEVER, on the other hand, I know I'll want to ride Test Track when I'm in Epcot, Tower of Terror in DHS etc., so it may actually end up being an easier process to use. I certainly don't want to plan even close to EVERY attraction I'll ride when I'm there, but the idea of securing a few (2 or 3) intrigues me...

I'm willing to give it a chance.
      Disneyland Wooooh!

"You see- Everybody's got a laughin' place, trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it."

Comment

One thing MyMagic+ cannot plan 6 months in advance is what the weather will do on a certain day.Has no one at Disney thought about how wet days affect where people go and what they want to do?Thats the sort of thing taking spontaneity away will affect. If it's blasting away with rain in my 30 minute Big Thunder slot then what ?" Here have a replacement fast-pass sir" "Oh but I'm on a pre-planned 6 months ago schedule and this change in the plan is going to mess everything else up"

Comment

Originally posted by blondiemouse72 View Post
          One thing MyMagic+ cannot plan 6 months in advance is what the weather will do on a certain day.Has no one at Disney thought about how wet days affect where people go and what they want to do?Thats the sort of thing taking spontaneity away will affect. If it's blasting away with rain in my 30 minute Big Thunder slot then what ?" Here have a replacement fast-pass sir" "Oh but I'm on a pre-planned 6 months ago schedule and this change in the plan is going to mess everything else up"
          Then I guess you wait in line like the other people who either didn't use the MyMagic+ options, or don't update it a few days before the visit when you have a better idea of the weather.

Some of you make it sound like what you put into the MyMagic is written in stone. It isn't. Sure the restaurant reservations may be hard to change but they are now! With your phone/IPAD/tablet you have access to it and can tweak it as you go along.

Comment

money should be invested in attractions
            The new Star Wars plot summery:

Episode 7: Luke discovers that Darth Vader is not his father, and goes on a search for his real father

Episode 8: Darth Vader is resurrected and goes on Jerry Springer, claiming he is Luke and Leia's father

Episode 9: Princes Leia is not Luke's sister, making him furious (we all know why...).

Comment

Well considering Tom Staggs practically admitted WDW is out of the attractions buisness I hardly think they care about rides anymore. They know they cannot compete.

Comment

Originally posted by JCSkipr79 View Post
                Well considering Tom Staggs practically admitted WDW is out of the attractions buisness I hardly think they care about rides anymore. They know they cannot compete.
                ???? I missed that. When did he say that? He insists Avatar is go. He is rumored to be forcing DHS to do Carlands with out value enginneering it (aka being force to do it as well as it is done in DCA) and he forced a redo for new fantasyland to include a coaster instead of princess theme meet and greets.

Comment

During the New Fantasyland presser, he said "We are not in the attractions business, we're in the "guest experience" business".....News to me after 57yrs...

Comment

ohhhhh! I think he meant it as a complement to what Disney does. Disney's does not build just an attraction, it has to be an experience. Clearly he did not mean wdw will not be building more attractions, as he is still to this day touting Avatar and New Fantasyland and other unannounce projects (cough*Carsland*cough) I actually think Tom has WDW on his radar. I think he understands that it has falling behind. I think Bob would very much like to pull back on theme park capital expenditure but Tom, at least to me, seems to suddenly be focus on the very real capital expenditure needs of WDW.

Comment

Originally posted by kermitdefrog View Post
                      . . . why Disney's new MyMagic+ system is a bad idea. First of all, MyMagic+ requires you to make "reservations" per se for parade seats and attractions. OK, I understand how a similar system had to put in place for table-service restaurants as crowd control, but it's highly unnecessary for attractions, which are supposed to be accessible by any guest at any time during park hours. If MyMagic+ goes into full effect, guests will essentially have to make reservations for every single thing they do while on vacation. [Overstatement.] This brings up another major point: the purpose of a vacation is to relax and have fun, not to worry that you won't be able to ride your favorite attraction because you missed your reservation time. This is yet another example of Team Disney Orlando's increasing incompetence. Paired with overpriced merchandise, decreasing hotel room quality, and the lack of any major new theme park attraction in the last seven years, it's no wonder why [an increasing number of] people are now going to Universal. . .
                      Strong post, Kermit! I'm reminded of the L.A. Unified School District paying a company 50 million for a payroll program that messed up teachers' paychecks for months. Of course there could not be major flaws at WDW because Thomas (not Tom) Staggs is paying ten times as much to Disney Parks' outside computer experts. And this will not go away. . .forever like some limited time magic.

The late Bernie Brillstein's theorized that Michael Eisner deliberately had Michael Ovitz fail as Disney's Prez. and as his potential successor so Ovitz would no longer be center of Hollywood. With that in mind, now I'm wondering if MyMagic+ will be the equivalent of five big box office flops rolled into one. After MyMagic+ underwhelms, Thomas Staggs will be viewed as inadequate just before he is to replace Staggs as CEO in 2015, and then (Leno-like?) CEO AND Chairman of the Board Bob Iger will be willing to stay on for an additional 2-5 years "earning" 30 or so million a year until a stronger replacement is found. I think any American business leader in entertainment would like to be CEO of Disney for as long as possible.

I could be wrong, and Iger might be equally to blame for MyMagic+.

And I could be REALLY wrong and MyMagic+ could turn out to be $800,000,000+ well spent. But it does seem like $ was spent on this instead of magnificent WDW attractions, improved WDW transportation, and sprucing up the parks and older resort hotels.

Comment

$800,000,000+ well spent.
                        What was that number for extending the monorails, again, because all of a sudden 50 million a mile doesn't seem unreasonable.

Comment

I think mm+ is an interesting social experiment that puts the panters behind the curve of the planners. However, even a planner needs to make plans for when the weather goes south. Let's say that you have reserved a spot for the parade and a thunder storm hits. Now, what? So you go and run over to EPCOT, a mostly indoor theme park, but you don't have any rides reserved. What does that mean? What do wait times look like for unreserved rides?

I think I have more questions than answers. But I'm not ready to write it off as a bad idea. And while I plan, I sometimes have to let mother nature tweak my plans a little bit.

Comment

Not sure where you're getting 800,000,000. The budget for NextGen is rapidly approaching the two billion dollar threshold.
                            -Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                              Not sure where you're getting 800,000,000. The budget for NextGen is rapidly approaching the two billion dollar threshold.
                              For that kind of money, you could create new and innovative attractions that would actually bring people into the Parks, instead of spending it on a beancounter-driven initiative that turns what's already there (which is getting older and more stale every year) into Spreadsheet City. That's what happens when you give the keys to Walt's Magic Kingdom to ex-Eisner Accountaneers, and no one has the authority to tell them "no."
                              "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                              it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                              together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                              designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                              - Michael Eisner

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
                                For that kind of money, you could create new and innovative attractions that would actually bring people into the Parks,
                                For that kind of money, you could create REAL Jurassic-Park Dinosaur Clones.

Comment

Do you guys think it might create a more of "get out of my way, i'm late" attitude amongst visitors as they rush around to their scheduled events/rides/shows?

Comment

Originally posted by moregumboplease View Post
                                    Do you guys think it might create a more of "get out of my way, i'm late" attitude amongst visitors as they rush around to their scheduled events/rides/shows?
                                    ​It could.
                                    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

Comment

Originally posted by moregumboplease View Post
                                      So, we're basically going to have a park full of White Rabbits scampering around. Lovely.

Yeah, I know. Corny. Sorry. Anyway, I am on the fence about this one. While I feel as though the planning aspect of this implement could possibly be quite beneficial, I am concerned with the security aspect of it. I mean, face characters will know you by name? At this rate, before long, they'll know what color underwear you're wearing.

Comment

before long, they'll know what color underwear you're wearing.
                                        Save this comment. When Hanes starts tagging their products with RFID tags for the supply chain, this is easy-peasy. ( Wal-mart has been pushing for exactly this for years. )

Over/Under in less than 5 years.

"Scanner Log: 2018-03-20 08:35:01 UPC8329...33 Panache/Cleo Style #7086 Size 28E Pink"

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
                                          For that kind of money, you could create new and innovative attractions that would actually bring people into the Parks, instead of spending it on a beancounter-driven initiative that turns what's already there (which is getting older and more stale every year) into Spreadsheet City. That's what happens when you give the keys to Walt's Magic Kingdom to ex-Eisner Accountaneers, and no one has the authority to tell them "no."
                                          Hate to break the news to you dude, but whenever a new attraction is built, someone always wants to know how much it cost and how much benefit it brought. For that, they go to those evil ex-Eisner Accountaneers in Spreadsheet City. If NextGen's budget went into attractions instead of RFID bands and MyMagic+, they'd be measuring its value exactly how they're measuring MyMagic+'s value and how they've measured the value of new attractions for years. By now, I think they know what they're doing, and it won't be terrible. Just a hunch.

Secondly, how is it that you know for a certain fact that NextGen won't bring anyone into the Parks? I'm delighted that a huge solution for the days of intense summer heat and crowds like this is on the immediate horizon because that gainful employment I need to survive denies me & my family access to the lesser-populated off season weekdays. If it wasn't for this, I wouldn't dream of visiting during the ever-growing busy times because of what a nightmare those times are without something like this. I absolutely won't be alone. Those families depicted in the old "Disneyworld.com/affordable" advertisements will have a similar reaction when they look into the "My Disney Experience" app and what MyMagic+ is all about.

Thirdly, exactly what part of New Fantasyland, new Test Track, new Spaceship Earth, proposed Avatarland @ DAK, new Star Tours, rumors of Cars Land @ DHS, new Disney Springs, etc is getting older and more stale every year? Looks to me like there's new projects either already here or on the horizon at every WDW park. If it's getting more stale to you then perhaps these parks just aren't for you anymore, and it's time to take a break?

Finally, no part of WDW is "Walt's Magic Kingdom". Walt left us years before Magic Kingdom was built and opened, and the entire WDW Resort today exists VERY differently than Walt originally envisioned it. WDW is the crowning glory of the "ex-Eisner Accountaneers" which is why you see projects like NextGen first tested and implemented on WDW's huge scale first, rather than more logically on the smaller Disneyland scale. Make no mistake, WDW is their baby, not Walt's, and they're so proud of it that they put it on a higher pedestal at "One Man's Dream" than anything Walt created in his time.
                                          Last edited by PeoplemoverMatt; 03-24-2013, 12:03 PM.

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

Comment

Working...
                                          X