• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BuckyRister
    MiceChatter
    • May 2010

Re: Why MyMagic+ is a Bad Idea

I only get to visit the parks about once every 3-4 years, so in the months and weeks leading up to a visit, I'm pre-planning like crazy, trying to figure out the best strategy for visiting on a given day, and for who I'm with. I go through it again and again, because standing in two and half hour lines is not what I think about (nor what I want to do, or anyone wants to do) when it comes to the parks. I build in flexibility to my touring plans, and center them around some key ideas, I don't plan down to the minute, but I'll reserve seats at say World of Color and Fantasmic to cut down on wait times and stress about viewing areas.

So it sounds like MyMagic+ is perfect for someone like me, someone who likes to pre-plan but also likes spontaneity and recognizes it's impossible to plan for everything. FastPass and seat reservations transformed the brutal long waits on rides into a manageable day -- arrive at roap drop, hit major rides early, FastPass the rest, ride the smaller stuff in between. I look forward to using MyMagic+ on my next visit. The ability to FastPass a ride on my smartphone while I'm in line for something else or having lunch sounds like more choices, more freedom, more fun. I'm really looking forward to it. Bring it on, Disney.

EDIT
    I understand people being nervous and anxious about new technologies. Technology is a tool, it depends on how you use it. I'm not worried about being a "white rabbit" because I'm not an idiot and wouldn't try to plan something that tightly-scheduled, and I suspect the system won't let you do that, say, reserving Space Mountain and Splash Mountain within 10 minutes of each other. So I'm unconcerned, and again, look forward to trying it out. Sounds like fun.
    Last edited by BuckyRister; 04-01-2013, 03:10 AM.

Comment

• SunsetLament
      Banned User
      • Feb 2013

Originally posted by PeoplemoverMatt View Post
      Thirdly, exactly what part of New Fantasyland, new Test Track, new Spaceship Earth, proposed Avatarland @ DAK, new Star Tours, rumors of Cars Land @ DHS, new Disney Springs, etc is getting older and more stale every year?
      New Fantasyland added one additional ride (that is not even built yet) and a restaurant. New Test Track and New Spaceship Earth are terrible (and essentially wasted money - Old Test Track was terrible too, but I digress ...). Nobody wants Avatarland. Disney Springs is nothing more than a proposal (like Hyperion Wharf before it) and what is proposed is just more outside vendor restaurants (Disney telling people what Disney wants them to want, not building what people actually want - rides, shows). Carsland is another concept that has not advanced pass the proposal stage - if we're giving credit for proposals, we might as well discuss how great Western River Expedition will be.

Star Tours 2.0 is terrific.

Comment

• PeoplemoverMatt
        When Will It Return?
        • Jan 2005

Originally posted by SunsetLament View Post
        New Fantasyland added one additional ride (that is not even built yet) and a restaurant. New Test Track and New Spaceship Earth are terrible (and essentially wasted money - Old Test Track was terrible too, but I digress ...). Nobody wants Avatarland. Disney Springs is nothing more than a proposal (like Hyperion Wharf before it) and what is proposed is just more outside vendor restaurants (Disney telling people what Disney wants them to want, not building what people actually want - rides, shows). Carsland is another concept that has not advanced pass the proposal stage - if we're giving credit for proposals, we might as well discuss how great Western River Expedition will be.

Star Tours 2.0 is terrific.
        You're leaving out a ton from both New Fantasyland and New Test Track. Just because your opinion of them and the proposed projects yet to be started is less than positive doesn't mean you can pretend they don't exist, and then complain about nothing new ever being built.

I'll give credit for proposals, sure. Every project starts somewhere. It's not like everything's a proposal and nothing ever gets built. Besides, once MyMagic+ is done, there'll be a lot more vertical construction work that stems from all these proposals going on right now.

Take it from someone who just went through DCA's overhaul from behind a camera the entire time. There is such a thing as too much construction at one point.

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

Comment

• MickeyM
          MiceChatter
          • May 2008

I feel the problem with MyMagic+ is that there are many, MANY unanswered questions and concerns right now about how it will affect the traditional park-going experience. Some of which may never be answered. Coupled this with the fact that Disney has dumped $2 billion into a largely untested technology, it's making many people uneasy about NextGen, including me.

Comment

• sandlotgiant1
            New MiceChatter
            • Apr 2013

Two issues -- there must be a set amount of Fastpasses that can be reserved and a set amount to get at the parks. For instance, if there is a newer attraction, it could be possible that Fastpasses ae all sold out.
            second issue -- they should spend their billion renovating the problems with the parks instead of adding on to something that already works fine.

Comment

• Bill
              Theme Park Guru

• Jan 2005

The NextGen concept can work if it is implemented correctly. Right now? It's going off a cliff. Good thing they have a lot of money in the future to spend on balloons to bring it back up.
              -Bill

Comment

• PeoplemoverMatt
                When Will It Return?
                • Jan 2005

How is it going off a cliff when it's still very much under a preliminary testing phase?

Can you name one, ANY, new very techy system that was flawless in its testing phase?

Isn't finding bugs for the purpose of finding and fixing them the whole point of a testing phase?

"Who among you is wise and understanding? Let him show by his good behavior his deeds in the gentleness of wisdom." -- James 3:13

Comment

• Bill
                  Theme Park Guru

• Jan 2005

Originally posted by PeoplemoverMatt View Post
                  How is it going off a cliff when it's still very much under a preliminary testing phase?

Can you name one, ANY, new very techy system that was flawless in its testing phase?

Isn't finding bugs for the purpose of finding and fixing them the whole point of a testing phase?
                  That's just it. It's not in the preliminary testing phase anymore. It's in stages of rollout.

They already had the testing phase. They didn't test for long enough and the feedback they got was all skewed. The based property-wide decisions on skewed data.

This allowed them to make one mistake that they can't recover from:
                  They bought the wrong hardware. We're talking thousands of devices that all don't do what they need to do.

Enough said. They'd have to re-buy everything for it to work perfectly now. Now they're stuck with what they have, which kinda sucks... I mean, it will work, but not as they wanted it to. Hence why I made the earlier comment that they'd have to spend a LOT of money to bring it back up to where it should have been if they had done it right the first time.
                  Last edited by Bill; 04-05-2013, 01:43 AM.
                  -Bill

Comment

Get Away Today Footer

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X