Announcement

Collapse
See more
See less

Why MyMagic+ is a Bad Idea

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • [Chat] Why MyMagic+ is a Bad Idea

    Hello, citizens of MiceChat. You my remember me as the author of the Gemini Series, a series of armchair Imagineeering threads that received much criticism. I have returned after nearly two years of absence to tell you about why Disney's new MyMagic+ system is a bad idea. First of all, MyMagic+ requires you to make "reservations" per se for parade seats and attractions. OK, I understand how a similar system had to put in place for table-service restaurants as crowd control, but it's highly unnecessary for attractions, which are supposed to be accessible by any guest at any time during park hours. If MyMagic+ goes into full effect, guests will essentially have to make reservations for every single thing they do while on vacation. This brings up another major point: the purpose of a vacation is to relax and have fun, not to worry that you won't be able to ride your favorite attraction because you missed your reservation time. This is yet another example of Team Disney Orlando's increasing incompetence. Paired with overpriced merchandise, decreasing hotel room quality, and the lack of any major new theme park attraction in the last seven years, it's no wonder why people are now going to Universal instead of Disney.
    2014
    A year that holds the challenge of truly bringing Earth into the 21st Century.

  • #2
    Re: Why MyMagic+ is a Bad Idea

    you won't get much criticism here for saying MM+ is a bad idea! lol
    Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Why MyMagic+ is a Bad Idea

      It just blows my mind how people go sooooo over board when something new comes along. If you don't like the "mymagic+" option then don't use it. I couldn't care less about the "fastpass" option and while I think I have only used it once it has never caused me a problem with any of my visits over the years since it has been in use. Why would mymagic?

      Some people complain about the horror of waiting in line because others have trouble with their card and finger print. To me how ever, I've never really run into much of an issue with it, but maybe the bracelets will solve that issue for those who have trouble waiting that extra minute or two.

      Instead of running to a place to get the fastpass before they run out (never bothered to do this btw) you could add it to your mymagic before you even go to the park. Why would that be so much of an issue?

      I just don't see where this is such a problem, it's just another option to tailor your vacation to the way you want it.

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Why MyMagic+ is a Bad Idea

        How about we wait until it's implemented to decide if it's a good or bad thing?

        Personally I'm very intrigued by it. It's certainly something that will most likely work better in WDW than Disneyland due to the different clientele (tourists vs locals) but why don't we "wait and see" for a change?

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Why MyMagic+ is a Bad Idea

          I'm less concerned about the logisitcs of MyMagic+ effecting people who choose not to use it than I am about potential security issues. To be frank your concerns that guests will have to make reservations for every single thing they want to do come across as somewhat melodramatic. It'll be an option to guarantee a few highlight attractions for the people who choose to use it and I doubt it will much effect everyone else.

          My bigger concern here is that strapping guests with RFID bands that identify their personal information, allow access to their finances, and unlock their hotel rooms is an idea that's just begging for something to go wrong. Let me put it this way, I won't be an early adopter for MyMagic+ because I don't want to have to be the poor soul whose vacation gets ruined as a result of QA testing this new technology.
          [email protected]

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Why MyMagic+ is a Bad Idea

            the issue i think some people may have with the system is it creates a more level playing field for all guests. many of us here all have our own particular system of where to go when the park opens, what to fast pass, and just using our advantage through the passion of the topic to get a leg up on the unwashed masses. with the enforcement of fastpass times and now my magic allowing anyone to reserve whatever they want months in advance, it removes not only the spontaneity that a vacation should hold but the thrill of "victory" some get from the experience. again just a theory but its something that affects the major disney fan.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Why MyMagic+ is a Bad Idea

              I think there are both positives and negatives of the system.

              I think Disney is trying to do something that no one else has done (Thank God for that at least). It just makes me wonder if they have completely thought this through. There are a lot of factors and issues that need to be addressed before doing something like this.
              DisneyTwins
              Since May 2003

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Why MyMagic+ is a Bad Idea

                Originally posted by maddogjoe View Post
                Some people complain about the horror of waiting in line because others have trouble with their card and finger print.
                It's more like the way Disney destroyed the market for cheap left-over day tickets under the *appearance* of doing something for your benefit.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Why MyMagic+ is a Bad Idea

                  Originally posted by mikelieman View Post
                  It's more like the way Disney destroyed the market for cheap left-over day tickets under the *appearance* of doing something for your benefit.
                  Out of the close to a dozen times I've gone to WDW for vacation I've never had a day left over to sell/donate. I buy what I plan on using and I use what I buy.

                  Anything else is foolish. Disney cut out "scalpers" how horrible!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Why MyMagic+ is a Bad Idea

                    Originally posted by Disneytwins View Post
                    I think there are both positives and negatives of the system.

                    I think Disney is trying to do something that no one else has done (Thank God for that at least). It just makes me wonder if they have completely thought this through. There are a lot of factors and issues that need to be addressed before doing something like this.
                    Like what? What are your fears here? While I'm sure Disney hasn't thought of everything, I'll bet they thought of most of it and will react very quickly to anything that comes up that they didn't think about.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Re: Why MyMagic+ is a Bad Idea

                      I have a hard time believing, that just like dining, Disney will not move more and more towards preference for reservations as a means of controlling staffing and operational costs. The interactive queue program also seems to point to Disney's expectation of longer wait times.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Re: Why MyMagic+ is a Bad Idea

                        Folks, while we don't have all the answers to the questions that may come to mind, these boards are all about the discussions. It's fine to speculate, or to bring up things you might be negatives, or even to express your feelings out loud. What's not OK, is to tell others not to have the questions and opinions that they do. This site does not ask a whole lot of its members, but one thing that we do insist on is that we have as pure an on-topic discussion as possible, and not stray over into making personal asides or attacks.

                        Thanks for your help, going forward.
                        "Not Carnegie, Vanderbilt, and Astor together could have
                        raised money enough to buy a quarter share in my little dog."

                        � Ernest Thompson Seton

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Re: Why MyMagic+ is a Bad Idea

                          The RFID bands have a lot more potential than just booking fastpasses and Mickey knowing your name. The real question is whether it will used.
                          It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.
                          sigpic

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Re: Why MyMagic+ is a Bad Idea

                            I think the approach of having all your tickets, room keys, Fastpasses, and reservations all in one place is a great benefit. The constant planning and pre-planning are going to be a nightmare.

                            That's just a prediction. We'll see how it goes when it's fully implemented.
                            DisneyTwins
                            Since May 2003

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Re: Why MyMagic+ is a Bad Idea

                              I think something like this doesn't deserve 1 BILLION dollars put into it because you know it might get some criticism and it isn't even a complete overhaul of a park, it's a little band that controls every move you make on a vacation.
                              Trips to WDW / DLR

                              Wilderness Lodge - 2 times
                              Beach Club - 3 times
                              Boardwalk - 2 times
                              Caribbean Beach - 1 time
                              Grand Floridian - 1 time
                              Disneyland Hotel - 1 time
                              Pop Century - 3 times
                              DTD Holiday Inn Express - April 1st - April 5th

                              Comment


                              • #16
                                Re: Why MyMagic+ is a Bad Idea

                                Originally posted by maddogjoe View Post
                                It just blows my mind how people go sooooo over board when something new comes along. If you don't like the "mymagic+" option then don't use it. I couldn't care less about the "fastpass" option and while I think I have only used it once it has never caused me a problem with any of my visits over the years since it has been in use. Why would mymagic?

                                Some people complain about the horror of waiting in line because others have trouble with their card and finger print. To me how ever, I've never really run into much of an issue with it, but maybe the bracelets will solve that issue for those who have trouble waiting that extra minute or two.

                                Instead of running to a place to get the fastpass before they run out (never bothered to do this btw) you could add it to your mymagic before you even go to the park. Why would that be so much of an issue?

                                I just don't see where this is such a problem, it's just another option to tailor your vacation to the way you want it.
                                it's a bit more then that.

                                See they have spent 2 billion dollars developing this system. A system that is supposed to manage the crowds better.

                                But with 2 billion they could have added more rides or even a new park. New rides and a new park is what will really help manage the lines.

                                Comment


                                • #17
                                  Re: Why MyMagic+ is a Bad Idea

                                  Originally posted by maddogjoe View Post
                                  Out of the close to a dozen times I've gone to WDW for vacation I've never had a day left over to sell/donate. I buy what I plan on using and I use what I buy.

                                  Anything else is foolish. Disney cut out "scalpers" how horrible!
                                  actually the smarter thing would be to buy 10 day passes with no expiration dates as you would be saving money in the long run.

                                  Comment


                                  • #18
                                    Re: Why MyMagic+ is a Bad Idea

                                    We will have to see what it is like, but from the outset, i d not think it will be much. Again, all of the money invested into this could be put into new attractiosn, that would compete with Universal. Sadly, they do not.
                                    The new Star Wars plot summery:

                                    Episode 7: Luke discovers that Darth Vader is not his father, and goes on a search for his real father

                                    Episode 8: Darth Vader is resurrected and goes on Jerry Springer, claiming he is Luke and Leia's father

                                    Episode 9: Princes Leia is not Luke's sister, making him furious (we all know why...).

                                    Comment


                                    • #19
                                      Re: Why MyMagic+ is a Bad Idea

                                      My guess is that MadDogJoe is Robb Alvey from Theme Park Review, or one of his cronies. He has clamped down on their Disney threads HARD, and talks just like this on that board, and derides the non-believers. Only those that love everything Disney does can post. I'm sure this move has nothing to do with them now being on Disney World's media list.

                                      There are many people very afraid of Fastpass Plus, and I think I'm one of them.

                                      And the "don't use it" arguement is so ridiculous. Especially with this system, where it seems if you don't use it, you shouldn't be buying a ticket.

                                      Fredly

                                      Comment


                                      • #20
                                        Re: Why MyMagic+ is a Bad Idea

                                        Originally posted by Fredly View Post
                                        My guess is that MadDogJoe is Robb Alvey from Theme Park Review, or one of his cronies. He has clamped down on their Disney threads HARD, and talks just like this on that board, and derides the non-believers. Only those that love everything Disney does can post. I'm sure this move has nothing to do with them now being on Disney World's media list.

                                        There are many people very afraid of Fastpass Plus, and I think I'm one of them.

                                        And the "don't use it" arguement is so ridiculous. Especially with this system, where it seems if you don't use it, you shouldn't be buying a ticket.

                                        Fredly
                                        I'm just a long time Disney fan that thinks along logical lines. There are many things in this world that people are afraid of, but used with some common sense are relatively safe. People were afraid of cars when they first came out and said they would never last. People didn't like paper money, nor credit cards when they first were introduced. Of course paying your bills on-line is never going to work either.

                                        All these things not only work, but are everyday items that most people couldn't live with out. The MyMagic+ is just the next step in vacationing. Will this be how it's going to be? not likely! I'm sure it will change and evolve as time goes by and yes we will hear all the people cry out that these changes too are bad.

                                        I enjoy driving my car to the airport, buying my bottle of water with paper money after I get through TSA screening. I enjoy flying to Florida on a plane that I bought my ticket with a credit card, that I used my phone to transfer funds on-line to pay for. I don't think I'll have a problem using MyMagic+.

                                        Comment

                                        Working...
                                        X