Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge

The Tom Chaney Memorial Debate Lounge has been opened. You can find it in the Lounges section.

All MiceChat rules still apply, and all posts will be heavily scrutinized.

The forum is for topics that are Disney-related, but controversial. Topics not directly related to Disney will not be allowed.
2 of 2 < >

Registrations

All new user registrations require email verification. Please make sure that micechat.com is not blocked by your SPAM filter. Approvals are done at least once per day, but no approval will be given for accounts that have not verified their email address. No account created using anonymous services will be approved. These include proxies, VPN's, and Tor exit nodes. IP address reputations are also checked. Any IP address with questionable reputation will be banned and the registration denied.
See more
See less

Photoshoot at Downtown Disney?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Photoshoot at Downtown Disney?

So, I was at Downtown Disney about a year ago, and I saw a guy and a girl having a photoshoot in costume. They didn't work for Disney, and neither did the photographer.
    Ever since then, it has brought up a question to my mind: Isn't that against policy to do so? Or is Downtown Disney different than the parks?

When the disciples heard this, they were greatly astonished and asked, "Who then can be saved?" .
    Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Mathew 19:25-26

Re: Photoshoot at Downtown Disney?

DTD is a public location; photoshoots should be fine. It's like if you went to a public park or a mall. It's different when you pay to get into a place.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

Comment

Originally posted by alphabassetgrrl View Post
      DTD is a public location; photoshoots should be fine. It's like if you went to a public park or a mall. It's different when you pay to get into a place.
      It is NOT a public location. Downtown Disney is still the private property of the Walt Disney Company. And a Mall is also private property.

That being said, a person has no right nor expectation to conduct any FOR profit business (like a photo shoot) on Disney's private property without their prior consent. Not having their consent might lead to you being asked to leave or worse.

So in short. Technically no this isn't ok. And they could have gotten in trouble.
      Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

Comment

Originally posted by KingEric View Post
        It is NOT a public location. Downtown Disney is still the private property of the Walt Disney Company. And a Mall is also private property.

That being said, a person has no right nor expectation to conduct any FOR profit business (like a photo shoot) on Disney's private property without their prior consent. Not having their consent might lead to you being asked to leave or worse.

So in short. Technically no this isn't ok. And they could have gotten in trouble.
        Hm, that brings up a good point though... because what if it isn't for profit? What if it was a guy with his sister or something, and his sister was the one taking pictures for his personal use on Facebook or something? Because then Disney can't prove their in costume, and then they can't say that they are doing a real "photoshoot" either.
        I'm mostly curious because I would love to have my mom take some photos of me at Downtown Disney for my Facebook.

When the disciples heard this, they were greatly astonished and asked, "Who then can be saved?" .
        Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." Mathew 19:25-26

Comment

It's sort of the same deal as, lets say, taking video inside the parks. If it's a small camera, it's fine. If it's a monster professional camera, Disney will probably have an issue with it. It just depends on the circumstances.

If you're out there with a camera with lighting and the whole shebang, the likelihood of you using it to gain profit is quite likely. If you're just taking pictures for the sake of Facebook or some other site, then it's usually fine, but I doubt you really need all that equipment for a Facebook picture.

Like what was mentioned, DTD is not public land. The land is owned by Disney, not the state or city and therefore is private property. Using the property for your monetary gain without permission of Disney is strictly prohibited. This is like going into someone's soundstage and creating a video without permission. The property owner wants some some part of the money you're making.

So, if you're taking pictures just for the sake of taking pictures, and you're not selling them, it's okay, but Disney has the right to tell you to stop or get out because it is their property. You don't have to prove that you are not having a professional photoshoot. If Disney suspects what is happening, they can kick you off property without justification.

Even though malls seem like public property, they aren't. Most malls are owned by a company. I big one here in the states is Simon Malls. They own a good number of malls and lease the space out to companies. A place doesn't have to charge admission in order to be considered private property.
          Last edited by Disneytwins; 08-15-2013, 12:03 PM.
          DisneyTwins
          Since May 2003

Comment

Originally posted by Disneytwins View Post
            It's sort of the same deal as, lets say, taking video inside the parks. If it's a small camera, it's fine. If it's a monster professional camera, Disney will probably have an issue with it. It just depends on the circumstances.

If you're out there with a camera with lighting and the whole shebang, the likelihood of you using it to gain profit is quite likely. If you're just taking pictures for the sake of Facebook or some other site, then it's usually fine, but I doubt you really need all that equipment for a Facebook picture.

Like what was mentioned, DTD is not public land. The land is owned by Disney, not the state or city and therefore is private property. Using the property for your monetary gain without permission of Disney is strictly prohibited. This is like going into someone's soundstage and creating a video without permission. The property owner wants some some part of the money you're making.

So, if you're taking pictures just for the sake of taking pictures, and you're not selling them, it's okay, but Disney has the right to tell you to stop or get out because it is their property. You don't have to prove that you are not having a professional photoshoot. If Disney suspects what is happening, they can kick you off property without justification.

Even though malls seem like public property, they aren't. Most malls are owned by a company. I big one here in the states is Simon Malls. They own a good number of malls and lease the space out to companies. A place doesn't have to charge admission in order to be considered private property.
            It was a decent sized camera, but there were no lighting things of anything. Just two people with one medium sized camera

Comment

Since when are you not allowed to take photos at Disney? Costumes however are a different issue. I can see that being less strictly enforced at downtown in the parks though.
              It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Dapper Dan View Post
                Since when are you not allowed to take photos at Disney? Costumes however are a different issue. I can see that being less strictly enforced at downtown in the parks though.
                It would depend on the costumes too, right?

Comment

Im pretty sure it was some kind of anine thing.

Comment

I was thinking more about "what you could do" rather than what might be allowed if permission were asked.
                    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

Comment

I was thinking more about "what you could do" rather than what might be allowed if permission were asked.
                      It's easier to ask for forgiveness than it is for permission. I'm probably just going to go, do it, and if they don't want me doing it, they'll tell me. I'll say I'm sorry, and then I'll go on with having fun at Disney.

Comment

No kidding, right? People take pictures of people at DTD all the time, and I hope you can get your shots. Don't make a big deal of it, and good luck! You're right that if they don't want you doing it, they will ask you to stop.

Comment

No kidding, right? People take pictures of people at DTD all the time, and I hope you can get your shots. Don't make a big deal of it, and good luck! You're right that if they don't want you doing it, they will ask you to stop.
                          I hope so too! And thank you!

Comment

On the Topic of Costumes: As long as you aren't in Disney character costumes, and you aren't wearing a mask you should be fine.

And as DisneyTwins stated, as long as you aren't using lighting, and any rigs and it is just you with your camera you should be fine.

I am someone who takes pictures at all the Resorts every week (Universal, SeaWorld, Disney)

So I have a lot of experience with photographing all over the resorts. If security is approaching you, just stop photographing, and move to a different location. What they normally do is first ask you to stop, then ask you to delete your photos. If you refuse they can call the police, and it becomes a whole different situation.
                            Get the latest and greatest theme park news by

Comment

I don't think they have a right to make you delete your photos but I don't have any legal standing or training. They'll tell you to delete them, but you don't have to. As far as I know.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X