Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My first trip to Florida and Disney World planned for September 7-16...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My first trip to Florida and Disney World planned for September 7-16...

Originally posted by Bill View Post
    Islands of Adventure has very few indoor attractions. Be warned, most of the indoor stuff is next door at Universal Studios Florida.

Yes, there is a real chance... however, if one does plan to hit Orlando, generally your hotel will let you cancel your reservation and the airlines will let you rebook up to a year later. You're coming at a fine time... the least crowded week of the year.
    I'm surprised there's no ride in Orlando that simulates a hurricane so people experience what it feels like. I want to know....I heard they can only predict about 5 days in advance so one could theoretically form after I arrive in Orlando and hit on the tail end of the trip so I could find out for myself. But I wouldn't be crazy enough to wander around outside in it....LOL

About Universal, that's why I like the idea of the park hopper. I can go back and fourth between the two as I feel. I don't need to do all the rides, or even most of the rides in both- just the main ones and the others that interest me. Remember that I have been to Disneyland and Universal in California so there are some overlapping rides that I'll skip unless i have extra time.

Comment

Originally posted by CaliforniaGirl1990 View Post
      I'm surprised there's no ride in Orlando that simulates a hurricane so people experience what it feels like. I want to know....I heard they can only predict about 5 days in advance so one could theoretically form after I arrive in Orlando and hit on the tail end of the trip so I could find out for myself. But I wouldn't be crazy enough to wander around outside in it....LOL

About Universal, that's why I like the idea of the park hopper. I can go back and fourth between the two as I feel. I don't need to do all the rides, or even most of the rides in both- just the main ones and the others that interest me. Remember that I have been to Disneyland and Universal in California so there are some overlapping rides that I'll skip unless i have extra time.
      Exactly. That's why I made the list for you of what to not miss at Universal Studios Florida.

At Islands of Adventure, the rides to be sure not to miss are:

-Amazing Adventures of Spiderman
      -Harry Potter and the Forbidden Journey
      -The Cat in the Hat
      -The Incredible Hulk Coaster (Outdoors)

If you like water rides, you'll also want to do:

-Dudley Do-Right's Ripsaw Falls
      -Popeye & Bluto's Bilge-rat Barges

Jurassic Park River Adventure is not something you really have to do, but it is on a larger scale in Florida.

Camp Jurassic is a very unique and cool playground that you may have a blast exploring, especially the caves.

I highly recommend to eat at The Three Broomsticks while you are in The Wizarding World of Harry Potter, and explore the shops. Dragon Challenge is a set of dueling coasters, but the only thing "Potter" about them is the queue.

There is also a small family coaster there... not really worth your time in my opinion.

You can easily skip pretty much everything else in the park, including, but not limited to:

Dr. Doom's Fear Fall (It's just a drop tower)
      Storm Force (It's like the teacups)
      Poseidon's Fury (Special Effects Show)
      Carou-Seuss-sell (It's a Merry-Go-Round)
      etc.
      -Bill

Comment

Thanks- I will definitely visit both parks! I am looking forward to the Harry Potter ride most of all...

Comment

Sorry, I was mistaken about the Downtown Disney bus scheme. Now that I think of it, of course they don't have buses to theme parks there, because then people could just park for free at DD and take a bus to the parks! Although if you were really desperate, you could take a bus from DD to, say, The Contemporary and walk to MK

I don't think you made a mistake going in September -- hurricanes aside, I think it is good for your first WDW experience to be a pure one, without all the Christmas overlays! But I'm biased because I find Christmas decorations and music very annoying.

Comment

4 more days!!! YAY!!!!!
            Last edited by CaliforniaGirl1990; 09-20-2013, 08:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
              Okay, so some notes here...

There is no direct transportation from or to Downtown Disney from or to any Disney Theme Park. (Okay, this isn't completely true, they are doing some very limited testing to Animal Kingdom, but it's limited.)

If you get dropped off at the TTC by your hotel shuttle, the Magic Kingdom and Epcot are just a quick monorail ride over, and the other parks are a quick bus ride. No real problems getting around there.

It's never a good idea to stay at WDW unless you plan to remain at WDW the entire time... and even then, it's quite a time saver to have a car.
              "Quick" is a relative term - but if you're taking a shuttle from an offsite motel to the TTC, then a Disney bus from there to Animal Kingdom or the Studios, an hour would be a very optimistic estimate. Once you get there and try it for the first couple days, you will be better able to decide whether the cost savings outweighs the time commitment for you - everyone's priorities are different!

Comment

Originally posted by PBandJ View Post
                Sorry, I was mistaken about the Downtown Disney bus scheme. Now that I think of it, of course they don't have buses to theme parks there, because then people could just park for free at DD and take a bus to the parks! Although if you were really desperate, you could take a bus from DD to, say, The Contemporary and walk to MK

I don't think you made a mistake going in September -- hurricanes aside, I think it is good for your first WDW experience to be a pure one, without all the Christmas overlays! But I'm biased because I find Christmas decorations and music very annoying.
                There are free Downtown Disney buses from there but they're not the official buses, but the Downtown Disney Area Hotel buses.
                Last edited by Otamin; 09-04-2013, 08:19 AM.

Comment

Don't miss Universal and Islands of Adventure. Great parks with lots of new technology. Don't miss the Mummy (much better than the L.A. one), Simpsons Land and Ride are VERY funny, Despicable Me, Harry Potterland is unlike anything at any theme park - amazing, Spiderman, Hulk Coaster, Disaster-the Ride is creative and funny, Animal Show is always fun, MIB. We like to eat at Mel's, Monster Cafe, and Simpson's area.
                  The Universal Parks are across close to each other like Disneyland and Cal Adventure. If you have the chance to spend one night in one of the 3 Universal Hotels, your room key skips ALL the lines the day you check in and until the end of the day you check out - Very unbelievable benefit that feels unreal.
                  Check out their website.
                  My opinion is that Disneyland pulled a lot of the best rides from WDW. Things like Carsland improved on Test Track. I like Disneyland better really. I love Indy Ride and Matterhorn, Toad Ride, Alice Ride, Storybookland Boats, Casey Jr, etc. WDW doesn't have Disneylands history or personality.

Comment

I agree with Bill. We also love the New Simpson's Land, New Transformers Ride, Mummy Ride (lots better than Hollywoods), Hollywood Coaster, Despicable Me, MIB, and ET.

Comment

Working...
                    X