This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Golden Girls at original MGM Studios

Yup, I saw that change a couple of months ago during the re-run. Quite surprising when you see it back-to-back, but if done between seasons you'd probably hardly notice.

It wasn't so much the kitchen that doesn't line up, but rather the front porch and the lanai - you can clearly see the front door in the above picture, whereas it was in a little courtyard on TV.

Yeah, I better stop now, I'm splitting hairs over set construction that happened 30 years ago.... :shy:
    sigpic

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

Comment

I remember Herbie shame he didn't last too long.

I remember on the tour we were told exteriors were filmed at MGM and interiors in Hollywood but this could have been a white lie

Comment

Either way, aside from the "veranda" they never went outside. And that veranda was an indoor set at Ren-Mar, not the backlot of Disney MGM.

Comment

I think it was made clear on the tour that they never filmed there, but they were fuzzy on the exterior being the 'real' one from the show.

I guess the same applies for the Empty Nest house.

If they still had a Residential Street on the Tour, is there any harm in having replicas of popular houses from Disney/ABC shows? It could after all be an example of how they can recreate just about anything with plywood.
          sigpic

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
          Walt Disney

Comment

Here in LA, we recreated (at great expense) a set from the HANGOVER II (which shot in Thailand) for a photo shoot, and when I asked studio archives if they wanted to keep it, for the museum or for any purpose, they said "No, not if it's not an authentic piece from the movie". It looked identical. It appeared in the film's advertising. But it wasn't considered "real" enough for them.

Side story: Also, for the advertising of HANGOVER I, we had to find another baby for the poster, as the kid in the film had outgrown his costume by the time we shot the movie poster.

Comment

^ that's pretty funny..

I never thought that Golden Girls was taped there I thought that they had taped parts of HUlk Hogan's Thunder in Paradise or something like that there??? I remember that being part of the backlot tour and meeting the Hulk there...

At the time I was really big into the Hulknation...

edit:yes it was here's the imdb article: Thunder in Paradise (TV Series 1994– ) - IMDb
              also there's an interesting goof up where apparently at one point you can see the grand floridian logo it says! :lol:
              The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
              -George S. Patton

Comment

Yes I remember Thunder in Paradise. If I remember right there were plenty of shots of the Grand Floridian in the background, but I think its was supposed to be some 'generic' hotel.
                sigpic

Walt Disney

Comment

Originally posted by ORD84 View Post
                  ^ that's pretty funny..

I never thought that Golden Girls was taped there I thought that they had taped parts of HUlk Hogan's Thunder in Paradise or something like that there??? I remember that being part of the backlot tour and meeting the Hulk there...

At the time I was really big into the Hulknation...

edit:yes it was here's the imdb article: Thunder in Paradise (TV Series 1994– ) - IMDb
                  also there's an interesting goof up where apparently at one point you can see the grand floridian logo it says! :lol:
                  Thunder in Paradise was filmed all over WDW. I remember at one point the backlot tour even went past the water tank they used for the boat scenes. They also used World Showcase for a few "international" locations. One episode even took place almost entirely in The Living Seas. They even tried passing off Cinderella Castle as a real castle once, which I'm sure fooled no one. I used to watch the show every week, mostly to catch glimpses of WDW.
                  It bothers me when people selectively edit quotes to support whatever point they are trying to prove.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Disneytwins View Post
                    I don't see why they would send a crew out to Florida when the filming was already done in the Los Angeles area.
                    They wouldn't. They'd use a Florida crew, shoot the exterior, and then FedEx the tape to California (or transmit it on a satellite feed). Easy peasy.

Comment

Na Na Na Na Na Na Na Na...
                      Originally posted by danyoung View Post
                      They wouldn't.
                      Thank you for being a friend
                      They'd use a Florida crew, shoot the exterior, and then FedEx the tape to California (or transmit it on a satellite feed).
                      Traveled down the road and back again
                      Easy peasy.
                      Your heart is true, you're a pal and a confidant.

Comment

When I was there in 198lala I saw them recreating a scene from Cheers. I still have the image of one of the actors wearing a very bright yellow sweater.

Comment

^Could that have been on the old Hollywood Bowl stage? I remember seeing Ted Danson being interviewed there once.
                          sigpic

Walt Disney

Comment

Cue the theme song! Apparently, I'm Blanche.

BrainFall.com - Which Golden Girl Are You?

Comment

its a tie i got part rose and part blanche. i was hoping for sophia lol

Comment

OK everyone who's posted has to share their results

Comment

I'm Stan apparently!

Comment

Originally posted by robbiem View Post
                                    I'm Stan apparently!
                                    I'm sorry, he wasn't even a Golden Girl.

Comment

Working...
                                    X