This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: My Magic+

While Disney can't force casual tourists who buy a 3-Day park hopper to use the Magic Bands, I can see them requiring annual passholders to use the technology, if only because they'd probably save the most on infrastructure costs with guests who visit the parks more frequently, such as with printed Fast Pass tickets. Plus, analyzing the tastes/patterns of annual passholders might improve park efficiency more.

Could be a benefit as special events could be more easily run for annual passholders: simply show up for an after hours party with the magic band, or use the tech to allow entrance to a special event somewhere in the given park. Or maybe even have special "Fast Pass Blitz" hours for just annual passholders where by the MagicBand gives FP access to any attraction. The options the technology provides are truly staggering.

I don't think any annual passholder would think that it kills spontaneity if there is a special 7pm to 9pm Annual Passholder Blitz Hour on Saturday whereby all Fast Pass attractions are open exclusively to annual passholders. With Magic Band, they could setup such an event easily, and the more casual guests wouldn't know what is going on as they'd have a 6 pm or 9:30 pm Fast Pass time. No need to make special wrist bands for special AP events either, assuming they make the AP magic bands to look distinctive from day tickets.
    Last edited by chesirecat; 11-07-2013, 08:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ORD84 View Post
      not only that with not everyone having a smartphone, but a lot of people (approx half) have windows or iphones and both apple and Nokia have yet to put any sort of NFC capability in their phones to my knowledge.

doing the magic band on the phone would be a bigger pain in the butt than its worth at this time...maybe in the future they will add this capability but I doubt it. its much easier to lose a phone on a rode or something than something strapped to your wrist.
      Given how quickly smart phones evolve, and if Magic Bands continue to be a success, I think this sort of tech will be adopted by other sectors of the economy than just theme parks, so maybe in 5 years time?

There already is an app which has some of the Magic Band info, from the Disney website:

Download the Free Mobile App — You can already stay connected to the plans you’ve made on your home computer anytime and anywhere using your smartphone or tablet using the My Disney Experience mobile app. Your Disney vacation plans and lots of helpful information are conveniently located in one easy place.

If there is FP times, reservations, parades, fireworks, etc . . . could be a "killer app" for Disney parks.

Comment

I'm a west coast Disney fan who's been to WDW 6 times in 10 years. I'm not a fan of the MM+ concept in general, and of the FP+ system in particular.

I usually go to WDW during non-peak times of the year, and never had the full crowd experience. On my last trip (this time last year), I did book out early for the resort, and since we were trying out the dining plan, some ADRs. I do like to plan out days, as that helps to plan meals and other events. That being said- I never thought that I would want to plan out fastpasses in advance. It does take day-of spontineity somewhat off the table.

Of course, concerning the 3 FP limit (one park per day, no less) I'm at a loss to remember a day where I used more than that. Off peak times usually means less people, and even on more crowded days, stand-by times weren't that bad (mostly, I mean. RnR is always ridiculous). But with this system it seems that the stand-by waits are only going to increase, as those without MM+ are forced to wait stand-by after they remove paper fastpasses. That's going to lead to negative guest experiences, and more complaints.

One last note- a lot of people have said MM+ is another way to convince people to not go off property to Universal- as if to say it's a spontaneous decision for WDW resort guests to just one day wake up and decide "y'know, let's forget going to EPCOT today, and go to Islands of Adventure instead." That doesn't happen. If someone on Disney property has any desire to go to Universal, they've planned that out already. Like I do. On a 6 day stay, one of those days is a Universal day- planned in advance, the same way the Disney parks are, and at the same time. I rent a car, mostly for that freedom of movement (I also hate the bus system at WDW). But- anyone who wants to go, has plans to prior to their vacation.

So, while part of me dreads these changes, another part is shrugging at their implications until my next visit. Which, at that time will probably cause me to cringe and head to City Hall to complain.
        I'm making a note here: HUGE SUCCESS.

Comment

My wife books Disney travel and found out Disney is rolling out a new policy. You can get three Fastpass selections, but now there is a tier. So at EPCOT, for example, you can use only one of your Fastpass selections for: Test Track, Soarin', Maelstrom, Illuminations and Character Greeting (not sure if Mission: Space is in that group, but probably would be). Then the other two have to be used for attractions out of Capt. Eo, Imagination, Spaceship Earth, Living with the Land, The Seas and Turtle Talk.

So basically even if you're staying on property, you have to choose between getting a FP at Test Track or Soarin' and cannot get one for both. I'm not sure what tiering is done at the other three parks, but I imagine it's similar.

It's already bad enough that we're going next year with some friends and using our timeshare exchange so we won't be able to get Fastpasses at all, apparently. But now, even if we spring for a Disney hotel, we can only choose three attractions to get Fastpass and now only one top attraction within those three.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Cactus View Post
            My wife books Disney travel and found out Disney is rolling out a new policy. You can get three Fastpass selections, but now there is a tier. So at EPCOT, for example, you can use only one of your Fastpass selections for: Test Track, Soarin', Maelstrom, Illuminations and Character Greeting (not sure if Mission: Space is in that group, but probably would be). Then the other two have to be used for attractions out of Capt. Eo, Imagination, Spaceship Earth, Living with the Land, The Seas and Turtle Talk.

So basically even if you're staying on property, you have to choose between getting a FP at Test Track or Soarin' and cannot get one for both. I'm not sure what tiering is done at the other three parks, but I imagine it's similar.

It's already bad enough that we're going next year with some friends and using our timeshare exchange so we won't be able to get Fastpasses at all, apparently. But now, even if we spring for a Disney hotel, we can only choose three attractions to get Fastpass and now only one top attraction within those three.
            As bad as the Tier system is, it does kinda make sense. All the attractions in Tier 1 are the highest demanding/popular attractions in the park. More than likely nearly all those who take part in MyMagic would've reserved their three attractions from that tier. With a limit on how many FP+s for each attraction are available, some guests who reserve late or change their reservation at the last minute wouldn't be able to select any of the attractions from Tier 1 at all. With the change it will be a bit more fair and distributed in that each guest who does FP+ would still be able to do at least one popular attraction if not the other.

Of course it still doesn't make the whole system a great idea in general.

Comment

Originally posted by Neon Cactus View Post

Huh. This reminds me of the old A-E Tickets system.

Click the banner! ^^^^
              Follow us on Twitter
              @mickeymutineers and on Facebook
              Mickey Mutineer Podcast now available in the blog and on iTunes!

Comment

My family has old 10 day no-expiration passes (we will not be using MM+). They do not have RFID. From what I have read, we will need to exchange these tickets. Can someone confirm? Also, do we do this at the ticket counter outside the gate, or is there a better location? Thanks!
                Drop another coin in slot and I will tell you more.

Comment

Working...
                X