X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Esmeralda
    replied
    Re: My Magic+

My family has old 10 day no-expiration passes (we will not be using MM+). They do not have RFID. From what I have read, we will need to exchange these tickets. Can someone confirm? Also, do we do this at the ticket counter outside the gate, or is there a better location? Thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Pizzapants
    replied

Originally posted by Neon Cactus View Post
    My wife books Disney travel and found out Disney is rolling out a new policy. You can get three Fastpass selections, but now there is a tier. So at EPCOT, for example, you can use only one of your Fastpass selections for: Test Track, Soarin', Maelstrom, Illuminations and Character Greeting (not sure if Mission: Space is in that group, but probably would be). Then the other two have to be used for attractions out of Capt. Eo, Imagination, Spaceship Earth, Living with the Land, The Seas and Turtle Talk.

So basically even if you're staying on property, you have to choose between getting a FP at Test Track or Soarin' and cannot get one for both. I'm not sure what tiering is done at the other three parks, but I imagine it's similar.

It's already bad enough that we're going next year with some friends and using our timeshare exchange so we won't be able to get Fastpasses at all, apparently. But now, even if we spring for a Disney hotel, we can only choose three attractions to get Fastpass and now only one top attraction within those three.
    Huh. This reminds me of the old A-E Tickets system.

Leave a comment:

• toonaspie
    replied

Originally posted by Neon Cactus View Post
    My wife books Disney travel and found out Disney is rolling out a new policy. You can get three Fastpass selections, but now there is a tier. So at EPCOT, for example, you can use only one of your Fastpass selections for: Test Track, Soarin', Maelstrom, Illuminations and Character Greeting (not sure if Mission: Space is in that group, but probably would be). Then the other two have to be used for attractions out of Capt. Eo, Imagination, Spaceship Earth, Living with the Land, The Seas and Turtle Talk.

So basically even if you're staying on property, you have to choose between getting a FP at Test Track or Soarin' and cannot get one for both. I'm not sure what tiering is done at the other three parks, but I imagine it's similar.

It's already bad enough that we're going next year with some friends and using our timeshare exchange so we won't be able to get Fastpasses at all, apparently. But now, even if we spring for a Disney hotel, we can only choose three attractions to get Fastpass and now only one top attraction within those three.
    As bad as the Tier system is, it does kinda make sense. All the attractions in Tier 1 are the highest demanding/popular attractions in the park. More than likely nearly all those who take part in MyMagic would've reserved their three attractions from that tier. With a limit on how many FP+s for each attraction are available, some guests who reserve late or change their reservation at the last minute wouldn't be able to select any of the attractions from Tier 1 at all. With the change it will be a bit more fair and distributed in that each guest who does FP+ would still be able to do at least one popular attraction if not the other.

Of course it still doesn't make the whole system a great idea in general.

Leave a comment:

• Neon Cactus
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Tach
    replied

I'm a west coast Disney fan who's been to WDW 6 times in 10 years. I'm not a fan of the MM+ concept in general, and of the FP+ system in particular.

I usually go to WDW during non-peak times of the year, and never had the full crowd experience. On my last trip (this time last year), I did book out early for the resort, and since we were trying out the dining plan, some ADRs. I do like to plan out days, as that helps to plan meals and other events. That being said- I never thought that I would want to plan out fastpasses in advance. It does take day-of spontineity somewhat off the table.

Of course, concerning the 3 FP limit (one park per day, no less) I'm at a loss to remember a day where I used more than that. Off peak times usually means less people, and even on more crowded days, stand-by times weren't that bad (mostly, I mean. RnR is always ridiculous). But with this system it seems that the stand-by waits are only going to increase, as those without MM+ are forced to wait stand-by after they remove paper fastpasses. That's going to lead to negative guest experiences, and more complaints.

One last note- a lot of people have said MM+ is another way to convince people to not go off property to Universal- as if to say it's a spontaneous decision for WDW resort guests to just one day wake up and decide "y'know, let's forget going to EPCOT today, and go to Islands of Adventure instead." That doesn't happen. If someone on Disney property has any desire to go to Universal, they've planned that out already. Like I do. On a 6 day stay, one of those days is a Universal day- planned in advance, the same way the Disney parks are, and at the same time. I rent a car, mostly for that freedom of movement (I also hate the bus system at WDW). But- anyone who wants to go, has plans to prior to their vacation.

So, while part of me dreads these changes, another part is shrugging at their implications until my next visit. Which, at that time will probably cause me to cringe and head to City Hall to complain.

Leave a comment:

• chesirecat
    replied

Originally posted by ORD84 View Post
    not only that with not everyone having a smartphone, but a lot of people (approx half) have windows or iphones and both apple and Nokia have yet to put any sort of NFC capability in their phones to my knowledge.

doing the magic band on the phone would be a bigger pain in the butt than its worth at this time...maybe in the future they will add this capability but I doubt it. its much easier to lose a phone on a rode or something than something strapped to your wrist.
    Given how quickly smart phones evolve, and if Magic Bands continue to be a success, I think this sort of tech will be adopted by other sectors of the economy than just theme parks, so maybe in 5 years time?

There already is an app which has some of the Magic Band info, from the Disney website:

Download the Free Mobile App — You can already stay connected to the plans you’ve made on your home computer anytime and anywhere using your smartphone or tablet using the My Disney Experience mobile app. Your Disney vacation plans and lots of helpful information are conveniently located in one easy place.

If there is FP times, reservations, parades, fireworks, etc . . . could be a "killer app" for Disney parks.

Leave a comment:

• chesirecat
    replied

While Disney can't force casual tourists who buy a 3-Day park hopper to use the Magic Bands, I can see them requiring annual passholders to use the technology, if only because they'd probably save the most on infrastructure costs with guests who visit the parks more frequently, such as with printed Fast Pass tickets. Plus, analyzing the tastes/patterns of annual passholders might improve park efficiency more.

Could be a benefit as special events could be more easily run for annual passholders: simply show up for an after hours party with the magic band, or use the tech to allow entrance to a special event somewhere in the given park. Or maybe even have special "Fast Pass Blitz" hours for just annual passholders where by the MagicBand gives FP access to any attraction. The options the technology provides are truly staggering.

I don't think any annual passholder would think that it kills spontaneity if there is a special 7pm to 9pm Annual Passholder Blitz Hour on Saturday whereby all Fast Pass attractions are open exclusively to annual passholders. With Magic Band, they could setup such an event easily, and the more casual guests wouldn't know what is going on as they'd have a 6 pm or 9:30 pm Fast Pass time. No need to make special wrist bands for special AP events either, assuming they make the AP magic bands to look distinctive from day tickets.
    Last edited by chesirecat; 11-07-2013, 07:18 AM.

Leave a comment:

• chesirecat
    replied

Originally posted by disneylandfan95 View Post
    Management won't (can't) admit it, but it's a mess. The official "launch" date has been postponed multiple times because it just cannot be effectively rolled out. Guests participating in the testing phase have not been too impressed, either.

Just look at the budget, which is ballooning close to $3 billion (with a "b")!!

I shouldn't have said it was "cancelled" for Anaheim, but it has been put on "indefinite hold" and will probably never come to California.
    The price tag isn't $3 billion, more like $1 billion for all parks worldwide when the final tally is done, RFID readers/Magic Bands are relatively cheap technology, there were plans to put RFIDs in grocery items to ease checkout times many years ago, and Great Wolf water parks has been using them since 2006!

Leave a comment:

• spicymangoes
    replied

My boyfriend and I just spent a weekend at WDW and I wanted to share our experiences...

Background: This was our third trip to WDW in total over the past few years and we went this time on a Florida resident annual pass. This was our first time staying on resort property, and we stayed at Caribbean Beach.

We planned our vacation only a few weeks in advance, and received our bands upon arriving at the resort. The *BIGGEST* problem we had was that the concierge desk attached both of our bands to my boyfriend's credit card. This one mistake followed us for the rest of the trip. We had absolutely no problems using our MB for our resort room key or for park admissions. The night we arrived, I went to MDE.com and "installed" a credit card to my account so that I would --I thought-- have one attached to my band. The next day I tried to buy merchandise at Magic Kingdom, and my PIN wouldn't work. We went to the MK concierge desk and I explained to them what happened. The cast member there seemed to understand what happened, and --we thought-- fixed the problem. On Day 2, my boyfriend couldn't use HIS MB to purchase anything. So that day we went to the resort concierge and explained this to them, and they tried to fix it again. They set it up so that we were able to charge forward on separate accounts, but did not separate out previous charges. This became a problem later in the evening when I tried to make a fairly substantial purchase. We learned that the MB places a $1000 limit per account, which *collectively* we had nearly reached and I was attempting to exceed with my purchase.... and was therefore declined. This had now become ridiculous. So the following day we were having breakfast at Animal Kingdom Lodge (who definitely has the best of everything... I think we'll stay there from now on), and I talked to the concierge there. They figured out the problem for real this time and fixed it within a few minutes. They told me that it was a user error from the initial check in. They separated out all of our charges to both separate accounts, so that we could charge forward as desired before reaching the account limit on the MB.

1) This is only a minor problem, because you can still always use your regular plastic to pay. But it was annoying, because we were frustrated that our money wasn't being allocated properly. BF had much less money in his checking account than I did, so it could have been a substantial issue. I just wanted everyone else to be aware of it before travelling.
    2) One thing we did notice is that our annual passholder discount is NOT attached to the MB. If you want your discount, you have to either whip out all your plastic (and you might as well pay with plastic too) or forget it. I was kind of glad that the big purchase I made was declined because I remembered to use my passholder.
    3) Our MB worked for everything else. We had one minor blip with BF's admission on one day but the cast member got it to work without major hold up. Otherwise everything else worked and we liked it.
    4) I'm still kind of lukewarm about FP+. They're not as flexible as the regular FP but it was nice to be able to get them without walking across the parks, etc. Plus, there are added benefits. We were in Animal Kingdom one day when we were in line for Everest, which we had already used a FP+ for, when the ride was shut down. Not only did we get a paper FP for that ride, but we also got to reuse our FP+ for ANY ride.
    5) The only hold-ups we experienced were dumb people who couldn't figure out how to scan their stupid MB. Instead of "tap mickey to mickey" like the cast members say, we figured out it was easier to *roll* the flat part of the band until the mickey turned green.

Leave a comment:

• Quentin
    replied

Originally posted by Royal Street View Post
    Earlier this month I spent a long weekend at the Polynesian Resort and we received the test magic bands. I can see the long term advantage of the bands. Since you can only pick 3 rides per day in one park for Fast Pass +, it does not leave me with the feeling that the new system will prevent last minute visitors from obtaining reservations. In fact, we didn't even book the Fast Pass + reservations until we arrived at the hotel.
    There is the problem. Only three FP rides per day is ridiculous. You can get significantly more from the current FP system.

Leave a comment:

• danyoung
    replied

Originally posted by Royal Street View Post
    In my case, I spent a lot of time messing around with the website only to have the concierge call the office that administers passports to be told that Disney Premier Passports are incompatible with magic bands. Thus, if you buy up to the ultimate with DL/WDW access you are currently out of luck using the magic band.
    I was also told this on my late September visit. When I got back home, I saw my Premier pass was now linked to my MDE account. So I'm hoping they finally figgered out a way to make the Premier pass work.

Leave a comment:

• alphabassetgrrl
    replied

​Thanks for the update.

Leave a comment:

• Royal Street
    replied

Earlier this month I spent a long weekend at the Polynesian Resort and we received the test magic bands. I can see the long term advantage of the bands. Since you can only pick 3 rides per day in one park for Fast Pass +, it does not leave me with the feeling that the new system will prevent last minute visitors from obtaining reservations. In fact, we didn't even book the Fast Pass + reservations until we arrived at the hotel.

Clearly the magic bands are in a test phase.

(1) I received a magic band with my name on it, but even the hotel concierge could not link it to the My Disney Experience account on the website. They told me the band was linked automatically to the person who made the hotel reservations. Thus, even though I had the magic band, I could never see it on my own internet account and it ultimately proved near useless to me;

(2) As I understand, you need to link the admission media to the magic band. This worked fine for the others in my party who bought 4 day park hopper passes. In my case, I spent a lot of time messing around with the website only to have the concierge call the office that administers passports to be told that Disney Premier Passports are incompatible with magic bands. Thus, if you buy up to the ultimate with DL/WDW access you are currently out of luck using the magic band. So everyone else used the bands for entry and my Premier Passport lacking an RFID chip delayed us at every park as they called someone who had an iPAD that could read the passport.

(3) My three traveling companions all booked the Fast Pass + times for our group. Since I knew my band was not linked to my online account but to the other person who booked the reservation, I thought I should try my band to see if it might still work. We started in on the rides and I actually was admitted with my group consistently. It was only on the last day that I was awoken from my blissful ignorance when someone told me I actually had no reservation-- I guess as a test they were activating my magic band at every ride entry because they recognized that everyone else in my party had a valid reservation. Maybe they realize they are having these problems in the test phase.

(4) As a side bar comment on Premier Passports-- if you have one without the RFID chip, I finally learned I could exchange it at guest relations for a new pass card. (That still doesnt mean it is compatible with the magic band.) Whether you initiate the exchange at DL or WDW, you subsequently have to go to Guest Relations in the other park to activate the replacement card a second time for that park. And oh by the way-- if you are buying a high priced Premier Passport, buy it on your trip to Disneyland as California does not charge sales tax on admission media as in Florida. On a near $1K pass purchase, that's a lot of savings in sales tax.
    Last edited by Royal Street; 10-29-2013, 12:36 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ORD84
    replied

not only that with not everyone having a smartphone, but a lot of people (approx half) have windows or iphones and both apple and Nokia have yet to put any sort of NFC capability in their phones to my knowledge.

doing the magic band on the phone would be a bigger pain in the butt than its worth at this time...maybe in the future they will add this capability but I doubt it. its much easier to lose a phone on a rode or something than something strapped to your wrist.

Leave a comment:

• PBandJ
    replied

I agree that using already-existing smartphone technology in lieu of magic bands would be less wasteful and less expensive, but rather than immediately searching for the most negative and cynical explanation, I would say that the reason this wouldn't work is that not every person (and certainly not every child!) owns a smartphone. I also think that getting the system to work smoothly with the hundreds of different types of smartphones in existence would be quite difficult.

Leave a comment:

• Mr Wiggins
    replied

Originally posted by mikelieman View Post
    ...I guess all I really need is a "My Magic+" APP for my android smartphone, and we're done.
    True. But then Disney wouldn't be able to charge you as much. Plus you wouldn't be giving the MM+ program free advertising by walking around with those brightly colored wristbands.

Leave a comment:

• mikelieman
    replied

You know, I just realized. This is a lot like the NFC ( Near-Field Communication ) features on my Google Nexus 4 phone. I wonder if I can avoid all this 'magic band' marketing and just use my phone to access the services like I do at Shop-rite.

The obvious benefit to this is that there truly is "ONE PLACE" for all my stuff. Seeing as the phone is my GPS, and has everything else in google docs, being able to use it instead of these disposable, wasteful, environmentally unfriendly bands keeps them from having to destroy the environment to mine MORE rare semiconductor minerals, and then the inevitable chemical wastes from making the plastic, and the packaging, and then it all goes in the landfill.

I guess all I really need is a "My Magic+" APP for my android smartphone, and we're done.

Leave a comment:

• ORD84
    replied

just got our mm+ bands in the mail, like the whole presentation is very nice. Looks like a bunch of detail went in. not sure how I feel about the colors though, they are a shade or two lighter than the website.

other than that I do like aspects of this system, it keeps me from having to have two or three places to keep/look up our various dining, hotel reservations and the like. I also like that there is no real way to lose your key to the world card as it's right there on your wrist.

I did set up a pin to avoid unwanted charges to my card. and my soon to be fiancee set up her own pin separate from mine.

the only thing I'm not to keen on is fastpasses though I'm sure if done right it'll neither improve nor detract from the problems the current system has...

that's my first impression after working with it a bit and setting everything up. So far it's running very nice and communicating well with the various parts though I screenshot and have hard copies of everything just in case as this IS a soft opening type of trial/beta testing.

Leave a comment:

• PBandJ
    replied

Originally posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    Because fastpass already increases standby wait times. How would more fastpasses make this any better?
    I don't think MM+ adds more Fastpasses - it just changes the way guests receive Fastpasses. The number of Fastpasses given out per hour will stay the same, it's just that MM+ guests are reserving the passes ahead of time rather than picking them up in the park.

If there were not a finite number of Fastpasses given out per ride per hour, then the Fastpass line would grow longer and completely defeat the purpose of the whole system.

I do hope that Fastpass+ reservations will only become available a month or so away from a trip - not 180 days like ADRs. I rarely plan a trip more than a month or two in advance, so I can pretty much count on never getting a reservation at Le Celllier or similarly swamped restaurants. But restaurants have a much lower capacity and slower turn-around rate than rides, so I don't think the reservation situation with Fastpasses would get as bad as the ADR situation.

Leave a comment:

• Mr Wiggins
    replied

Originally posted by film975 View Post
    I find it somewhat amusing that people think that MyMagic+ is gonna be mandatory once it is implemented. Which it will not be.
    It won't be "officially" mandatory. But the more people who utilize it, the more those who don't will be pressured to do so -- or suffer endless standby status as virtual second-class customers.

The key here is that WDW is not adding rides, restaurants or shops for the MyMagic+ users. It's just giving the MM+ folks first crack at what's there. The more MM+ users who reserve WDW's resources for themselves, the more non-MM+ users will be pushed to the back to the line... until eventually there's no room for anyone but MM+ users.

At which point Disney will roll out MM++ and the cycle will start all over again.

The only thing Disney is selling with MM+ is privilege. The privilege of being first in the pecking order for a limited amount of resources.

The snake-oil aspect of it is the myth that in a land of limited resources, everyone can be first, and get as much as they want, when they want.
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 10-02-2013, 07:57 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X