X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KingEric
    started a topic [Chat] Theme Violations at WDW

Theme Violations at WDW

This is a discussion about theme violations. What attractions we feel like violate the themes of the areas they are supposed to represent. I will kick it off with my top theme violations at Walt Disney World, please feel free to disagree, agree, or add your own Theme Violations!

Magic Kingdom:

1. Monster Inc Laugh Floor - How do monsters in an alternate Universe generating power through the power of laughter have to do with "Tomorrow Land"

2. Buzz Light Year Space Ranger Spin - Now this might belong in Tomorrowland, if the queue and ride wasn't full of toy props. Are we actually in the Buzz Light Year world, or are we toys battling toys? These theme violations keep you from understanding your place in Tomorrowland.

3. Stitches Great Escape - Now overall this technically fits the concept for Tomorrowland (besides the fact that it technically happens in the PAST pre Lilo and Stich... so how can we be in the future and past at the same time) but the ending where Stitch jumps on the Castle and rides the Orbitron ruins the theme.

Epcot

1. The Seas with Nemo and Friends - We start off on the Australian coast, we dive underwater, take an underwater journey then end up in an underwater Sea Base? Zero sense is made in this redo.

2. Soarin' - Why am I at a pavillion celebrating the earth, and then taking a trip to California? Why?

3. Gran Fiesta Tour - Why is Jose a Brazillian bird helping to give a tour of Mexico? Also why does the animation for the 3 Caballeros not match the styling designed by Mary Blair when the ride first opened?

4. The Queue for Malestrom - Why? It is like a cooridor to a restroom at a mall.

Disney's Hollywood Studios

1. The HAT - Never have I hated something so much in a theme park. Why is it there? How does this sympolize Hollywood? Show Biz? Movie Making? Cinema? WHY?

2. Toy Story Mania - You are "shrunk down" to the size of a toy, but outside Midway Mania, there are full sized toys, so are we to assume that the toys escaped from under the bed and are consuming the Pixar Studios area?

3. Sci Fi Diner - How is it a "Hot Set" are we supposed to believe that this restaurant is used for filming?

4. The entire park - What is this park? A Nostalgic nod to the golden era of movie making? Or a current filming studio? Or collection of movie based shows and attractions with no coherent theme?

Disney's Animal Kingdom

None, while I might not be a fan of everything in this park, there is a thematic reason for everything that exists in this park.

• lazyboy97O
    replied
    Re: Theme Violations at WDW

Originally posted by brianpinsky View Post
    Thinking about EPCOT is really does not fit the name of the park it holds. Experimental Prototype Community Of Tomorrow has nothing to do with prototype communities. It seems that they decided to break the words up into the single bits and built attractions around that.
    Future World: EPOT
    World Showcase: C
    That's part of why the park was named EPCOT Center and today is just Epcot. The acronym no longer applies.

Leave a comment:

• brianpinsky
    replied

Thinking about EPCOT is really does not fit the name of the park it holds. Experimental Prototype Community Of Tomorrow has nothing to do with prototype communities. It seems that they decided to break the words up into the single bits and built attractions around that.
    Future World: EPOT
    World Showcase: C

Leave a comment:

• lazyboy97O
    replied

Originally posted by blondiemouse72 View Post
    I see the original poster didn't feel the need to add a "theme violations at USO" thread ,coincidence ? I think not
    So start one.

Leave a comment:

• KingEric
    replied

Originally posted by blondiemouse72 View Post
    I see the original poster didn't feel the need to add a "theme violations at USO" thread ,coincidence ? I think not
    lol well I could, but it would be pretty boring, because everything at IOA has a sense of place, and at USF because of the loose studios theme every kind of meshes together. But we could do a thread, but with 4 parks at WDW and endless theme violations, this is more fun.

Leave a comment:

• CrystalJ.Squirrel
    replied

A lot of the technology in science-fiction becomes reality, and others will be real in the future. Buzz Lightyear represents the typical science-fiction hero, and he also represents the cool toys we had in the '90s. I think Toy Story will remain relevant because of all the spinoffs and the fact that people my age are starting to have kids of our own.

Leave a comment:

• redrhino54
    replied

Originally posted by The Lost Boy View Post
    I'm awaiting the completion of perfectly themed WhineyGuyLand.
    :thumbup::yea::bow:

Leave a comment:

• blondiemouse72
    replied

Leave a comment:

• FigmentJedi
    replied

Originally posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    I find the praise for keeping a person captive far more disturbing. Why is the west side of a Fantasyland now anchored by Rapunzel's prison? Why does Maurice use his magic mirror to take us to meet his daughter while she is the Beast's hostage? Why are we dining at said hostage holding BEAST's palace?
    The Castle Restaurant is meant to be post-film, as is Maurice's cottage. Only the actual Enchanted Tales show you enter through the mirror is time-travel for some reason and let's face it, it's just so they can use the enchanted objects because nobody cares about human Lumiere, just like how they never show Beast's prince form.

As for Gaston hanging around his Tavern, nobody survives a long fall like Gaston.

Leave a comment:

• Kurtoon
    replied

My last visit was 2008.
    We rode Space Mountain in Tomorrow land.
    Exit into gift shop.
    All of the merchandise was High School Musical and CampRock.
    *Sigh*

Leave a comment:

• Dapper Dan
    replied

Does the Mickey Meet and Greet on Main Street count as an attraction? Because he certainly didn't exist at the turn of the 20th Century. To put the time discrepency in perspective, It would be like having an attraction about the iphone in a land themed to the 1980s.

Leave a comment:

• The Lost Boy
    replied

I'm awaiting the completion of perfectly themed WhineyGuyLand.

Leave a comment:

• WDWorldly
    replied

This is like a Disney version of E!'s fashion police-I'll give it a shot. Animal Kingdom isn't as thematically pure as it seems - the Finding Nemo musical doesn't fit the Dinoland theme, but neither did Nemo's hunky predecessor. So the theater in the wild has been in a constant state of theme violation.

Leave a comment:

• KingEric
    replied

Originally posted by Pizzapants View Post
    I'm not entirely sure how Nemo in the Seas is a theme violation. And I'm fine with Tomorrowland being a sci-fiction, whimsical sort of a place with Future World depicting real life future. We don't need two lands based on real future.
    Well what is the Seas with Nemo and Friends? What is Future World at Epcot?

Those are two questions, I honestly can't answer those questions looking at this attraction.

If you look at elements of the Seas with Nemo and Friends you can say ... yes that is it's thing to look at, or see.

Example:

Queue: Australian Beach and Under a pier
    Ride: Trans Atlantic journey
    Exit: Sea Base

Sea Base Area:
    Animal Viewing: You are viewing from windows in an underwater Sea Base

Turtle Talk:
    You are at a scientific research station that is learning to talk with Turtles

Other Exhibits:
    Play play with semi-education exibits

So when you take all the elements independently you can say "yes that is nice, great theme" But when you add it all up to a whole that is supposed to be in Future World in Epcot which is defined on Wikipedia as

"Future World consists of a variety of pavilions that explore innovative aspects and applications including technology and science." - Epcot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It just doesn't come together.

I could not tell you how the Seas with Nemo and friends fits that theme, or how all the thematic elements make a whole within the pavilion itself.

Leave a comment:

• CaliforniaAdventurer
    replied

So we'll talk to fish in the future?
    Well progress is being made every day, it's only a matter of time.

Leave a comment:

• lazyboy97O
    replied

Originally posted by Pizzapants View Post
    I'm not entirely sure how Nemo in the Seas is a theme violation. And I'm fine with Tomorrowland being a sci-fiction, whimsical sort of a place with Future World depicting real life future. We don't need two lands based on real future.
    So we'll talk to fish in the future?

Leave a comment:

• CaliforniaAdventurer
    replied

Where were you when we were brainstorming ideas for EPCOT?

Leave a comment:

• Pizzapants
    replied

Leave a comment:

• KingEric
    replied

One I do not think has been mentioned: Why is a contemporary record studio at the end of a 1940s street?

:lol:
    YOU ARE RIGHT!!!! Rock N' Roller Coaster is also a theme violation!

Leave a comment:

• sbk1234
    replied

Originally posted by goofy donald View Post
    adventureland was always more complex then that though. its not simply just tropical jungle, there is the Caribbean around pirates, polynesian influences, the jungle cruise which is sort of generic jungle but more african then anything else, and the bazar which was initially there taking up that space and its middle eastern vibe. the ride does fit thematically at the end of the day, however my issue with it is that it doesn't fit LITERALLY creating arguably the worst bottle neck in the entire resort.

True. But the way I see it, all of these other settings (Caribbean, Polynesian, Africa) basically are all junglie (jungle-ish?). To me, that makes them more complimentary than the desert environment that all of a sudden is there with spitting camels. Just my thought.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X