Announcement

Collapse

Reminder

It is against MiceChat's rules to promote any violations of Disney's rules. Members who choose to brag about breaking Disney's rules, or who encourage others to break Disney rules, will be immediately banned. There will be no exceptions.
See more
See less

Collapse

Get Away Today

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Avatar Land First Look

Originally posted by Garthilk View Post
    Avatar themed jungle cruise. Check.
    Rethemed Soaring as Banshee's. Check.
    Tree of Life becomes Bioluminescent. Check.

Somehow it just doesn't seem as impressive as HP land. Always seemed like the weaker of two IPs.
    What a jaded, reductionist angle to take. Any new ride could be described similarly. Cars is just a cartoon Test Track.

And besides that, we know literally nothing about these rides besides what the concept art hints at.

Originally posted by KEBSD View Post
    Still not enthused about this at all. I really feel they didn't think this one through. In 20 years I doubt Avatar will be a franchise anyone cares much about.
    Kind of like Song of the South. Fact is, if a ride/land's good enough, it can stand on its own two feet.

Comment

Originally posted by Micoofy Duck View Post
      Wow... really, people are still trying to say this isn't going to happen or shouldn't happen? I get the opinion of not wanting it but IT IS coming! Just learn to love it and get ready to experience it with the rest of us. And yes this is FAR better than Harry Potter's land area place.
      You're going to make that call based on unrealistic concept art? Nice. Have you even been to "Harry Potter's land area place" yet?

I don't know how good this area will be, but I look forward to seeing it open in 2065.

Comment

Originally posted by Rave View Post
        I was as opposed to Avatar as the next guy

...but I gotta admit that floating mountain is pretty darn cool. Sure this isn't beastly Kingdom but I'm over it. For what this it, its very impressive. It fits Animal Kingdom nicely, it will make the park feel more complete as a whole, and add some new attractions. It may be an alien planet, but the model makes it feel right at home in Disney's Animal Kingdom.

I really don't see the issue with a boat ride that at the very least will just look really cool. In fact, I think its refreshing to see Disney go back to a ride system like a boat ride that the whole family can enjoy. The soaring type attraction doesn't sound awful either.

As difficult as it may be, detach your opinions of the movie from this as a theme park experience and I think you'll all find it rather impressive. I just feel its best to be open minded than to be bitter because this is a different direction, but I don't necessarily find it to be a bad one.

And the other additions sound wonderful as well. The new parade on the water will be a huge addition, the nighttime safari has massive potential, and the performers on Discovery Island along with the tree show really add some much needed life to the park. Really like what they are doing with Animal Kingdom as it very much completes the park.
        Rave --

The site WDWNewsToday was reporting yesterday that they heard Disney is acquiring Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit...so if that is true, would you feel like Lord of the Rings in DHS would make up for Beastly Kingdom never getting built?

Seems like a lot of the Beastly Kingdom stuff could be built with Lord of the Rings.

In my opinion, DAK could use a Hercules inspired area...where the animals of Greek myth could be housed. And in DHS they could do the Lord of the Rings mythical animals.

Comment

Originally posted by BradyNBradleysMom View Post
          Rave --

The site WDWNewsToday was reporting yesterday that they heard Disney is acquiring Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit...so if that is true, would you feel like Lord of the Rings in DHS would make up for Beastly Kingdom never getting built?

Seems like a lot of the Beastly Kingdom stuff could be built with Lord of the Rings.

In my opinion, DAK could use a Hercules inspired area...where the animals of Greek myth could be housed. And in DHS they could do the Lord of the Rings mythical animals.
          No. For me, the appeal of Beastly Kingdom was that it made DAK feel like a complete park. I think a Lord of the Rings/Beastly Kingdom land in DHS would feel out of place and not work even if it built as originally intended for DAK.

DHS' solution should be different than DAK's, EPCOT's, etc.

Comment

LOTR, Hobbit and Harry Potter are all Warner IPs.

Theoretically, they're independent but Universal and Warner teamed on Wizarding Worlds around the globe and I wonder if partnering with Disney presents a conflict of interest.

Disney may have to generate their own hit live action movies or keep buying up the companies that do. Or Imagineer a good mythos as they once knew how to do just for park attractions.

Comment

Originally posted by Garthilk View Post
              Avatar themed jungle cruise. Check.
              Rethemed Soaring as Banshee's. Check.
              Tree of Life becomes Bioluminescent. Check.
              Bingo. For the brand marketeers in charge of Disney Parks, it's a marriage made in heaven -- a predictable, paint-by-numbers derivation of tentpole scenes from a predictable, derivative film.

Still to be seen is how the Bob & Tom Show is going to explain to the Board of Directors why they're spending megabucks to lease a franchise (the sole film of which failed to produce any memorable characters, merchandise or music), when they already spent billions to buy and own Star Wars.
              "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
              it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
              together with every variety of recreation and fun,
              designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
              - Michael Eisner

Comment

I do not know specific details. I just knew of the additions because of AVATAR LAND.

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
                ~

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
                  Bingo. For the brand marketeers in charge of Disney Parks, it's a marriage made in heaven -- a predictable, paint-by-numbers derivation of tentpole scenes from a predictable, derivative film.

Still to be seen is how the Bob & Tom Show is going to explain to the Board of Directors why they're spending megabucks to lease a franchise (the sole film of which failed to produce any memorable characters, merchandise or music), when they already spent billions to buy and own Star Wars.
                  I think I have seen Avatar three times now: once in theaters in 3D, once on my phone when I bought a Samsung Galaxy and that movie was on my phone and I watched it on a car trip once, and then once at my sister's house when she put it on for my sons and her family.

I can tell you the following names I remember:

* the planet is Pandora and the metal they are looking for is called unobtainium
                  * Sigourney Weaver played a woman named Grace (that is my sister's name)
                  * I don't remember the main character's name or the name of the actor who played him
                  * The blue cat people were called Navi...like Navejo Indians
                  * the main blue cat person had a name, but I don't remember it
                  * the Tree of Life was in Avatar
                  * the big lizard-birds they rode were called banshees

I really sat here for a few minutes thinking on this. This is all I could remember in terms of names of things in this movie.

Comment

Originally posted by red barchetta View Post
                    Kind of like Song of the South. Fact is, if a ride/land's good enough, it can stand on its own two feet.
                    The only difference being that Splash Mountain was not initially created to advertise The Song of the South characters or sell merchandise for that film. The idea for the log flume ride came first. The addition of Brer Rabbit and friends was the afterthought.

Originally posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

Disney seems to spending more money buying up rights to theme park ideas than they are actually getting these things built and that's what really scares me.

Comment

Originally posted by toonaspie View Post
                      The only difference being that Splash Mountain was not initially created to advertise The Song of the South characters or sell merchandise for that film. The idea for the log flume ride came first. The addition of Brer Rabbit and friends was the afterthought.
                      That shouldn't matter to the end-product.

Comment

Wow Disney finally release the much desired concept art and people still see fit to complain. Fortunately the few on here make up a small number compared to the millions more that will visit WDW once this project is officially opened.

Why would Bob or Tom have to explain this to the Board. The Board obviously were the ones who agreed to the Avatar project quite some time a go before then agreeing to buy Star Wars. Do you think something like Avatar would not require approval? Besides in the case of Star Wars, Disney have other ways of making a return investment that doesn't include expensive Theme Park projects. And the Star Wars projects for the Parks will be coming... We have been asured.

Somehow it just doesn't seem as impressive as HP land. Always seemed like the weaker of two IPs.
                        So a brand new concept for Disney's Animal Kingdom does not sound as impressive as what is an expansion of what Universal already has at Islands of Adventure. One's a new Park concept the other one is more of the same.

Again kind of dismissing what is actually coming. This Boat Ride I expect will be similar to the new boat ride being built inside the Castle at Shanghai Disneyland. Sneak Peek: Enchanted Storybook Castle at Shanghai Disneyland « Disney Parks Blog
                        Follow me on Twitter http://www.twitter.com/malin1804

Comment

Looks very interesting...I think it looks pretty good, but I will have to see how many attractions are included with this land, at least one more would be good to open this land to the public...

The other problem I can see is the Pandora tree of life being compared to the "weenie" of the park the actual tree of life...Other than that the concept art and that looks pretty cool...Figured I'd give a couple of gripes, the floating mountains look AMAZING though.
                          The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
                          -George S. Patton

Comment

A whole land based on how horrible human beings are? Yay.

Comment

I'm as opposed to Avatar in the parks as anyone, but there is a bright side to this. In reality, HP land only had one new thing. There were 2 rethemed rides that didnt actually change from when they were first built, and loads of shops. Avatar seems to sport 2 rethemed rides and loads of shops. The big difference is that HP had a brand new, revolutionary E ticket, as opposed to Avatar land banking on old ride systems giving them a new E ticket.

Comment

I think it will but into DCA not Disneyland

Comment

I think it looks like a good fit for DAK, maybe not beastly Kingdom but better than camp Minnie mickey so a positive improvement.

I don't mind the use of IP but the land has to stand alone as an an environment to work and appeal to people who haven't seen the movie. How many people realise Adventureland was based on Walt's nature films? Probably not many today but it doesn't spoil their enjoyment riding Jungle Cruise? On the other hand something like voyage of the little mermaid at DHS or Peter Pans Flight makes no sense at all if you haven't seen the movie

If Avatarland can give us an otherworldly environment with a subtle ecology message it will be a success, if it relies on having seen the movie then it will date fairly rapidly. Will be interesting to see what we end up with

Comment

Originally posted by ORD84 View Post
                                    Looks very interesting...I think it looks pretty good, but I will have to see how many attractions are included with this land, at least one more would be good to open this land to the public...

The other problem I can see is the Pandora tree of life being compared to the "weenie" of the park the actual tree of life...Other than that the concept art and that looks pretty cool...Figured I'd give a couple of gripes, the floating mountains look AMAZING though.

There isn't a Pandora tree of life. The tree with all the lights is concept art for the new nighttime spectacular.

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
                                    ~

Comment

Originally posted by BradyNBradleysMom View Post
                                      I think I have seen Avatar three times now: once in theaters in 3D, once on my phone when I bought a Samsung Galaxy and that movie was on my phone and I watched it on a car trip once, and then once at my sister's house when she put it on for my sons and her family.

I can tell you the following names I remember:

* the planet is Pandora and the metal they are looking for is called unobtainium
                                      * Sigourney Weaver played a woman named Grace (that is my sister's name)
                                      * I don't remember the main character's name or the name of the actor who played him
                                      * The blue cat people were called Navi...like Navejo Indians
                                      * the main blue cat person had a name, but I don't remember it
                                      * the Tree of Life was in Avatar
                                      * the big lizard-birds they rode were called banshees

I really sat here for a few minutes thinking on this. This is all I could remember in terms of names of things in this movie.
                                      I think it is shortsighted of Disney to just go ahead and spend loads of money to produce a land based on a movie that was financially successful, but not memorable. Yes the visuals were stunning. But then I felt the characters were lacking, and I can't seem to remember anything about them.

Comment

Originally posted by robbiem View Post
                                        How many people realise Adventureland was based on Walt's nature films? Probably not many today but it doesn't spoil their enjoyment riding Jungle Cruise?
                                        Not to pick nits but in point of historical fact, Adventureland wasn't based on Walt's nature films. It was based on mid-20th century America's romantic fascination with exotic and far-away tropical lands. The Jungle Cruise has one scene, the African Veldt, inspired by one of the studio's "Tru-Life Adventure" featurette series, The African Lion, otherwise it was a Disneyland original (and no, it was not based on The African Queen; Harper Goff's boat designs were from African river steamers of the 1930s).

In contrast, according to this "first look," Avatarland is an entire theme park land with multiple attractions which are completely derived (i.e. duplicated) from tentpole sequences in Avatar.

The founding philosophies of Adventureland and Avatarland are totally different. The former was founded as its own entertainment brand, while the latter is a marketing platform for an existing franchise brand (such as it is) that Disney is licensing from its creator and owner, James Cameron.
                                        "Disneyland is often called a magic kingdom because
                                        it combines fantasy and history, adventure and learning,
                                        together with every variety of recreation and fun,
                                        designed to appeal to everyone."

- Walt Disney

"Disneyland is all about turning movies into rides."
                                        - Michael Eisner

Comment

You MiceChatters are a bunch of grumpy *****.

The only thing that would make the majority of you happy is if Zombie Walt was raised from the dead and took over operations of the company.

Avatar Land has a ton of potential and I'm thrilled to head out to Florida and check it out when it's finished!
                                          Last edited by MickeyMaxx; 10-12-2013, 11:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                          X