X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Avatar Land First Look

Originally posted by solarnole View Post
    I think this is Disney wining and dining James Cameron to get him to make his next franchise with them. This was announced back in 2011 and concept art is just hitting now. I doubt it gets built.
    At the speed James Cameron makes movies that seems to make little sense. How long again did Avatar take to make? James Cameron will either be dead or retired by the time his Avatar series is completed for Fox. I think we are to long into the process for Avatar not to be built now considering how public Disney has been with insisting its still coming to Animal Kingdom. Plus the changes already being made to support Avatar. Lion King theatre is very much in the building phase at Africa.
    Follow me on Twitter http://www.twitter.com/malin1804

Comment

I have never even seen Avatar... and this looks INCREDIBLE to me.

Truly. If this was just a concept, not attached to any film, this based on the concept art alone would make me want to take a trip to WDW.

Comment

Originally posted by tcsnwhite View Post
        I have never even seen Avatar... and this looks INCREDIBLE to me.

Truly. If this was just a concept, not attached to any film, this based on the concept art alone would make me want to take a trip to WDW.
        True Dat! This is a perfect way to see this project. Had this been an original concept I think the public would have viewed it much differently. Now that it part of a film franchise, created by James, bought and paid for by Disney, people just really need to see the potential rather than the destruction of a man's vision and creation.

Comment

Originally posted by Malin View Post
          At the speed James Cameron makes movies that seems to make little sense. How long again did Avatar take to make? James Cameron will either be dead or retired by the time his Avatar series is completed for Fox.
          This strikes me as kind of morbid, to talk about when someone will be "dead or retired"...but James Cameron just completed a dive down to the bottom of the ocean in an experimental submarine. He's hardly geriatric.

The man is 59 years old and he owns his own company, so he's not "retiring" from anything. He's probably going to be around for 20 more years, at least, considering the age expectancy for a man like him today.

I highly doubt he will be "dead or retired" by the time Avatar Land is constructed at DAK.

Comment

Originally posted by Micoofy Duck View Post
            True Dat! This is a perfect way to see this project. Had this been an original concept I think the public would have viewed it much differently. Now that it part of a film franchise, created by James, bought and paid for by Disney, people just really need to see the potential rather than the destruction of a man's vision and creation.
            I love this attitude and agree 100%. I also think it helps to remember how people felt about Indiana Jones going into Disneyland.

I have only been to Disneyland a handful of times since I live in Illinois and consider WDW my "home park", but I have a lot of friends in California. They still talk about being horrified by Indiana Jones coming into Adventureland there, because Indiana Jones was not a classic Disney movie...so he felt incongruous to them.

I had no big emotional attachment to Disneyland and had never visited the park before Indiana Jones was there. I love the Indy movies, though. I know they are Paramount movies because the Paramount mountain is always in the first shots of the films. But I love the Indy ride in Disneyland and think it works really well where it is near the Jungle Cruise.

My sons are young and have no clue what is and what is not "a Disney movie" but they just think the Indy ride is the greatest thing ever. You will laugh, but my younger son loves the queue more than the ride itself. He's actually disappointed when we are there and it's not crowded and we can get on the ride quickly because he likes exploring the queue and all its details and loves how long the queue is (because they had to build it in a weird way in what used to be the Eeyore parking lot...requiring a long tunnel to get to the ride from its entrance).

I think when Disney builds things, they know that there will be a bluster of superfans who hate any kind of change, even if it means new rides. But that as the years go by, these people settle down and are drowned out by all the people who cheer and love the finished product.

Comment

I still don't understand why Disney is doing this in the first place. Sure, Avatar broke box office records at the time of its original release and started the current 3D craze we're in now. But it doesn't necessarily mean its popular enough to merit any presence in a Disney park. I still think this Avatar thing was just a knee-jerk reaction after Disney lost the Harry Potter deal. They really should've waited until they got Marvel and Star Wars before spending any serious development money on it.

Comment

Originally posted by BradyNBradleysMom View Post
                This strikes me as kind of morbid, to talk about when someone will be "dead or retired"...but James Cameron just completed a dive down to the bottom of the ocean in an experimental submarine. He's hardly geriatric.

The man is 59 years old and he owns his own company, so he's not "retiring" from anything. He's probably going to be around for 20 more years, at least, considering the age expectancy for a man like him today.

I highly doubt he will be "dead or retired" by the time Avatar Land is constructed at DAK.
                Talk about missing the point!!!

The first Avatar Movie took 15 years to make. So going by this time-frame James Cameron would be almost 100 by the time the other two movies get released.
                Follow me on Twitter http://www.twitter.com/malin1804

Comment

The first Avatar movie took 15 years because he had to basically IMAGINEER completely new technology. Amazing Demonstration of the virtual camera invented for AVATAR - YouTube

Avatarland is the price Disney is paying for not leading the way in entertainment technology development, and they're hoping that Cameron's technology will be adaptable to deliver on a real next-gen experience. Immersive won't even begin to describe it. IN THEORY.

In practice, this is a trainwreck in the making. They're never going to be able to execute on what's essentially imagineering the Holodeck.

I do notice they've figured out how to rfid tag all of the assets in the attraction. ( you )

FWIW, back in the early 90's I figured another decade or two before Candace Brightman was blowing everyone's minds doing free floating 3d in realtime for 20,000 people. We we making progress unfortunately that R&D program got permanently derailed in 95...
                  Last edited by mikelieman; 10-13-2013, 02:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by mikelieman View Post
                    The first Avatar movie took 15 years because he had to basically IMAGINEER completely new technology. Amazing Demonstration of the virtual camera invented for AVATAR - YouTube

Avatarland is the price Disney is paying for not leading the way in entertainment technology development, and they're hoping that Cameron's technology will be adaptable to deliver on a real next-gen experience. Immersive won't even begin to describe it. IN THEORY.

In practice, this is a trainwreck in the making. They're never going to be able to execute on what's essentially imagineering the Holodeck.

I do notice they've figured out how to rfid tag all of the assets in the attraction. ( you )

FWIW, back in the early 90's I figured another decade or two before Candace Brightman was blowing everyone's minds doing free floating 3d in realtime for 20,000 people. We we making progress unfortunately that R&D program got permanently derailed in 95...
                    YEs this can go both ways, it's like an all-in bet in Hold em...

IF they win they hit big if they lose they can permanently soil their own reputation and properties...I think Disney knows this, so it will be as immersive and amazing as possible, if they try to do this on the cheap it can easily destroy their business...

Here's to hoping that this turns out amazing!
                    The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom.
                    -George S. Patton

Comment

I would suggest that for an idea about the direction we *could be* going in, the somewhat dated but I think still relevant novels in the Dream Park series are helpful starting places. Consider that if we're all tagged with RFID, and we're in a 3D motion capture environment, and they can real-time project 3d environments, "Alice's Tea Party" and "Pirates of the Caribbean" and "The Haunted Mansion" don't require anything to change in terms of 'show'. Just upload the new changes, and hit 'play'....

Dream Park - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

Originally posted by Malin View Post
                        At the speed James Cameron makes movies that seems to make little sense. How long again did Avatar take to make? James Cameron will either be dead or retired by the time his Avatar series is completed for Fox. I think we are to long into the process for Avatar not to be built now considering how public Disney has been with insisting its still coming to Animal Kingdom. Plus the changes already being made to support Avatar. Lion King theatre is very much in the building phase at Africa.
                        Disney had released art and more specifics, as well as cleared land, for the Cinderella and Aurora meet and greet complex in Fantasyland. There would still be some operational advantages to closing Camp Mickey-Minnie without replacement (not that I think this will happen, but still plausible in the world of Disney).

No. Aliens and wholly fictional creatures, regardless of who created them, have no place in a park about earth and human interaction with this world.

Comment

Originally posted by Aladdin View Post
                          One of the Avatar "attractions" descriptions reminded me of this AMC Theater Coke promo

Even if they used a "Soarin Over California" type of viewing mechnism for this, I don't think the Avatar Attraction would be a match against Harry Potter at Islands of Adventure. In fact, I don't think an Avatar "film for Soarin" would even be a match for the original Soarin over California movie.

Disney HAS to do better than just a theater advertisement for Coke.
                          Rumor has it that WDI is using a Soarin' 2.0 system which has faster movements and greater degrees of freedom, and a larger screen. Soarin', IMHO, works as the ride vehicle kinda looks like a hang glider, how do they disguise the seats for Soarin' over Pandora?

Comment

Originally posted by BradyNBradleysMom View Post
                            They still talk about being horrified by Indiana Jones coming into Adventureland there, because Indiana Jones was not a classic Disney movie...so he felt incongruous to them.

I think when Disney builds things, they know that there will be a bluster of superfans who hate any kind of change, even if it means new rides. But that as the years go by, these people settle down and are drowned out by all the people who cheer and love the finished product.
                            I think Indy works well in Adventureland because it blends almost seamlessly with the Jungle Cruise, the Jungle Cruise in Disneyland was made over with a 1930s, or thereabout, style to match with Indy. And, you can enjoy Indy without having seen the franchise, it's the 1930's, there is an archaeological dig, a rickety old 1930's boat ride into the Jungle, even if everybody forgot about Indiana Jones, the idea of an archaeological site at a forgotten temple, along with spirits/booby traps, is classic.

If you haven't seen Indy, but have seen Lara Croft, or a dozen of other similar films in either the tomb raider genre, or 1930's retro-style films, then you get the ride.

Apart from Mara, the theming for Indy is part of humankind's past world history, so you get that nostalgia/historical interest. Even if you've never seen any of the Indy films, you'd immediately get the time period or thereabout in Indy.

Carsland is based on a franchise, but said franchise's Radiator Springs draws heavily from Route 66 and real life Monument Valley, if you go to Carsland you might daydream about the southwest, Route 66, Monument Valley, and I almost feel like I'm in a national park in Carsland!

Avatarland is different, it is much more . . . alien. You don't automatically get why creating such a place is important, there might be details, but they might well be over your head. With Indy, you can imagine you've been transported back in time, with Avatarland you might just think, "oh, this is from that film".

Not everything Disney does works out. DCA 1.0, DCA's Mermaid not exactly a runaway hit, so, I think its kinda a red flag if some fans are saying they'd have no interest in such an expansion.

Wouldn't Australia-land be just as exciting if they invented a new ride technology? Wouldn't an Outback River ride using new boat tech also bit a big draw? Sure, a lot of people have seen Avatar, but everybody knows about Australia, and a lot of folks have dreamed of visiting this continent. I'd rather eat at an Outback style restaurant in a highly themed Australia land than in Avatarland.

YMMV
                            Last edited by chesirecat; 10-13-2013, 09:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by chesirecat View Post
                              Avatarland is different, it is much more . . . alien. You don't automatically get why creating such a place is important, there might be details, but they might well be over your head. With Indy, you can imagine you've been transported back in time, with Avatarland you might just think, "oh, this is from that film".

Not everything Disney does works out. DCA 1.0, DCA's Mermaid not exactly a runaway hit, so, I think its kinda a red flag if some fans are saying they'd have no interest in such an expansion.
                              Speaking for myself, I do not think that Avatar is itself necessarily a bad basis for a themed experience. My biggest issue is it being shoved into the last park at Walt Disney World with not only a clear, unique identity, but a strong expression of that identity. I don't care if the park is lacking in attractions and this just something new. I think that sense of identity is far more important than cool new rides. Disney's Animal Kingdom is a last holdout for a commitment to the park and its message itself over the marketability of individual attractions.

Comment

Entertainment Weekly has an article up about the Avatar expansion at Animal Kingdom!!! I never saw them cover the parks before. it's on their front page right now on the EW.com site!!!!

Comment

To everyone complaining about Avatar being too alien, I hope you realize Animal Kingdom has these words written near the entrance to the park:

Welcome to a kingdom of animals... real, ancient and imagined: a kingdom ruled by lions, dinosaurs and dragons; a kingdom of balance, harmony and survival; a kingdom we enter to share in the wonder, gaze at the beauty, thrill at the drama, and learn

Where does it say ANIMALS OF EARTH ONLY?
                                  Where does it say NO FAKE ANIMALS?
                                  Where does it say ALIEN SPECIES GO TOO FAR OUTSIDE THE BOUNDS OF THE AVERAGE PERSONS IMAGINATION?

So go ahead, keep on thinking Avatar is a bad fit for Animal Kingdom. Your opinion flies in the face of evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by Usul831 View Post
                                    To everyone complaining about Avatar being too alien, I hope you realize Animal Kingdom has these words written near the entrance to the park:

Welcome to a kingdom of animals... real, ancient and imagined: a kingdom ruled by lions, dinosaurs and dragons; a kingdom of balance, harmony and survival; a kingdom we enter to share in the wonder, gaze at the beauty, thrill at the drama, and learn

Where does it say ALIEN SPECIES GO TOO FAR OUTSIDE THE BOUNDS OF THE AVERAGE PERSONS IMAGINATION?

So go ahead, keep on thinking Avatar is a bad fit for Animal Kingdom. Your opinion flies in the face of evidence.
                                    It does not have to said. It can be clearly seen in the park itself and how it presents the subject matters it handles. It can also be seen in the body of work of its creator. What some writer typed up for Michael Eisner to say is not a the end-all-be-all of how the park engages with an audience.

Comment

Originally posted by Usul831 View Post

People just want that imagined piece to be about dragons or anything else that was going to be in Beastly Kingdom. Once you insert a movie into it all of a sudden becomes against the parks statement. All this reminds me of the reception Carsland got and that worked out pretty well IMO. Looking at the images above how can anyone say it doesn't look like it belongs in DAK?? I can't wait to experience it!!!
                                      These are some of my favorite TRs I have posted

DL 55th BDAY trip report
                                      My company had a special night at the park
                                      WdW trip report with WWoHP
                                      NYE 2011 trip report
                                      Mice Chat 7th anniversary
                                      Leap year 24 hour report
                                      New DCA trip report
                                      NYE 2012
                                      HKDL trip report

Comment

Wow... really, people are still trying to say this isn't going to happen or shouldn't happen? I get the opinion of not wanting it but IT IS coming! Just learn to love it and get ready to experience it with the rest of us. And yes this is FAR better than Harry Potter's land area place.
                                        What a perfect attitude to approach anything Disney with. Never question anything, just love any junk Disney puts out.
                                        Disneyland Wooooh!

"You see- Everybody's got a laughin' place, trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it."

Comment

• Re: Avatar Land First Look

Originally posted by biggsworth View Post
                                          People just want that imagined piece to be about dragons or anything else that was going to be in Beastly Kingdom. Once you insert a movie into it all of a sudden becomes against the parks statement. All this reminds me of the reception Carsland got and that worked out pretty well IMO. Looking at the images above how can anyone say it doesn't look like it belongs in DAK?? I can't wait to experience it!!!
                                          I have been seeing more mention of Beastly Kingdom from people thinking Avatar belongs than from those who do not.

Comment

Working...
                                          X