Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you were me would you rather have DVC points or a house in Golden Oaks?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: If you were me would you rather have DVC points or a house in Golden Oaks?

50 years from now the Golden Oak homes will still have value to the owner or his/her heirs. The DVC points will have expired. That said, I think the homes are way over priced and I would prefer the flexibilty of locations the points give you. I also agree with the point you made about the points having terrible value outside DVC. Therefore, I would like to uselessly vote "undecided"

Comment

I have looked at comprable houses. A problem is that most of the nieghboring area is full of track houses and condos. I'd have to get a house another 10 minutes away, no closer to grocery stores. The houses I'm considering are about 1/2 the price of the ones in Golden Oaks. Also as the house will often be vacant I like the idea of a gated/patrolled community.

One benefit I've found is I could get an offsite house with a boat dock in the back. However it could be risky, if I have a friend there or family that doesn't know how to operate a boat. I'm pretty 50/50 on if that is a perk or not. May just want to stick to renting boats in the Seven Seas Lagoon onsite.
      Be Cool Stay in School!
      Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

Comment

Another development has come up. One of my partners has a young family and I told him about my dillemma.

We are now considering a corporate DVC membership.

Our consideration doesn't mean I'll always have point to use, but sometime may. So I could end up with more points than needed even more.
        Be Cool Stay in School!

Comment

Both the DVC or having a house has its advantages and disadvantages. You can go anywhere in the world that DVC is at not just here in the USA, so if you travel internationally that can be a plus. That and you just invested with vacationing with Disney for quite a number of years.

The house you can live there for as long as you want. One note to renting, its hard doing that when your not on site to manage it. Yes you can hire a company to take care of that for you, but you need to be able to trust them. As well as with renting its hard to find a GOOD renter and to KEEP them.

To me it truly depends on your personal situation and your the one who can truly weigh the pro's and con's for each.
          sigpic

Comment

Neither seem financially appealing to me. I don't want to tie up that much cash into a property, nor do I want to have to pay that monthly payment if I financed. You're talking about 1.7+ million plus home. That's either a large monthly payment or a lot of dead cash tied to a property with unexpected returns. As for the DVC, I think a lot of people buy into these programs because they need incentive to go on vacation. Can anyone show me numbers that make the DVC a better option than just staying on property and paying the normal rates?

Comment

Originally posted by thedude76 View Post
              As for the DVC, I think a lot of people buy into these programs because they need incentive to go on vacation. Can anyone show me numbers that make the DVC a better option than just staying on property and paying the normal rates?
              A lot, because huge numbers of people visit WDW, a lot of them are on annual visits. Like me who goes more than once a year. So they desire something better.

The DVC resorts are like the Deluxe Resorts and basically can save money over the long term if you go annually and stay in deluxe accommodations.

It's a little like this, Say you want to go this very week, it's about $1,100 of points for the Wilderness Lodge studios. If you as a non member want that same room it's over $400 a night, $2,800 total for the week. Or you could stay in another regular room in the WL, $325 or $2200.

It really pays off to have those points, as you lock in a price. The price of points does go up but you pay once, then a small maintenance fee each year.

A DVC unit also has some things that people want. I you get a Villa it's like a suite in the regular hotel, but has a washer and dryer and kitchen.

It's nice to have the flexibility to do laundry and leave it in the washer or dryer. Now a kitchen sounds great, but who really wants to cook on vacation? I like to have some family style dinners like BBQs and private birthday cake celebrations. And breakfast while others are getting ready is nice too.
              Be Cool Stay in School!

Comment

Originally posted by swampymarsh View Post
                A lot, because huge numbers of people visit WDW, a lot of them are on annual visits. Like me who goes more than once a year. So they desire something better.

The DVC resorts are like the Deluxe Resorts and basically can save money over the long term if you go annually and stay in deluxe accommodations.

It's a little like this, Say you want to go this very week, it's about $1,100 of points for the Wilderness Lodge studios. If you as a non member want that same room it's over $400 a night, $2,800 total for the week. Or you could stay in another regular room in the WL, $325 or $2200.

It really pays off to have those points, as you lock in a price. The price of points does go up but you pay once, then a small maintenance fee each year.

A DVC unit also has some things that people want. I you get a Villa it's like a suite in the regular hotel, but has a washer and dryer and kitchen.

It's nice to have the flexibility to do laundry and leave it in the washer or dryer. Now a kitchen sounds great, but who really wants to cook on vacation? I like to have some family style dinners like BBQs and private birthday cake celebrations. And breakfast while others are getting ready is nice too.
                So I started to look at the numbers.

Disney Timeshare Costs & Pricing | Disney Vacation Club

You have the upfront cost of $24,000. It's going to take a while to burn through that initial payout. Plus, you're paying an additional $1000 a year. You can then use those points as shown in the examples. Help me out with how this can possibly work.

If I put that $24,000 in a 6% bond (or 7-8% if I looked at preferred financial offerings), then I'll have $1440 a year to spend on vacation and only lose the base due to inflation. If I add an additional $1000 to the $1440 I earn in interest each year, that gives me $2440 to spend on vacation. And since dues can change in future years, the DVC approach can get progressively worse compared to renting, where I know the rake rates will be discounted in recessionary years. And outside of recessionary years, I should be able to realize greater interests or yields, assuming the fed slows down tapering.

What do I gain by giving up that upfront cost today? I'm struggling with this math. It seems like this approach guarantees DVC cash today to realize my approach since they mostly likely can turn around and invest that cash into projects with higher returns.

Can you get more with your points when rakes rates are heavily discounted in recessionary years? For example, did you see the number of points you needed in 2008 through 2011 lower than in pre-recessionary years for villas? I ask because I rented a villa in 2009 for less than half what it goes for today.

Comment

Look at it this way you could double your money on that bond in seven years if you reinvest and don't spend, but the hotel rates could also double. Unlikely but the inflation at Disney is very high, the risk is greater that Disney prices will climb faster than a risky bond.

As a DVC member you also get some discounts so consider you save a minimal but possible $100 a visit.

The main problem with timeshares is you get tired over time. At least with Disney people tire out slower. So if you buy when your first kid is 3 and second kid is born 3 years later, you are good for about 15 years, when the second kid is 12. You could also be a grand parents with two kids how have one kid and one on that way and you or they use it for 20 years. It's real property and can be inherited. It does take a lot of consideration if you will use it for a long time.
                  Be Cool Stay in School!

Comment

Working...
                  X