Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shows and non ride attractions that are not to be missed?

Collapse

Ad Widget

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Shows and non ride attractions that are not to be missed?

I'm going for my first trip in Feb and I am still overwhelmed by the vastness of the parks and resorts. As a DLR regular I'm finding it hard to figure out all the little things in each park to make sure it don't miss. I'm only there for 4 days but I will be going 110% the whole time! and I'm going solo, so I only have me to worry about. I've got a good idea with the rides, I just am trying to plan out which shows are worth seeing with my limited time.

thanks for your help!

I also would love any suggestions for quick service restaurants in all parks (I'm doing one main meal at a sit down and will probably just need one other quick bite) and general dining suggestions for Epcot.
    Follow me on Instagram: @disneylovingnurse :ap:

Re: Shows and non ride attractions that are not to be missed?

Magic Kingdom: Country Bear Jamboree, Hall of Presidents, a quick walkaround of Tom Sawyer Island if so inclined. Quick-service: Sleepy Hollow in Liberty Square (waffle sandwiches, ice cream sandwiches, funnel cake). The Citrus Swirl at the Sunshine Tree/near the Tiki Room was also very good.

Animal Kingdom: The walking trails overall are good, my favorite is Maharajah Jungle Trek. No advice for quick service here sadly.

EPCOT: The Land food court is pretty good, multiple offerings, and heard mostly all positives about the Biergarten menu in Germany. Show-wise, Reflections of Earth worth watching for the last show/event of the evening.

Hollywood Studios: The One Man's Dream exhibit and movie definitely worth walking through to see. Some interesting sandwich/cone things at Min and Bill's Dockside Diner, and many options at the farm/ranch market near Tower of Terror, foodwise.
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

Comment

Don't miss the live music at Epcot. Off Kilter in Canada, British Revolution in the UK and Mo Rockin' in Morocco. If you're a rock & roll fan, also be sure to catch Mulch, Sweat & Shears at DHS (they do shows around the Streets of America).

Quick Sevice.... Gaston's Tavern & Sleepy Hollow Refreshments at MK. Gaston's has huge pork shanks (grab some BBQ sauce packets from Cosmic Ray's in Tomorrowland on your way over) and Sleepy Hollow has some amazing waffle sandwiches. At Epcot, Sunshine Seasons at The Land, the fish & chip stand in the UK, Katsura Grill in Japan & Cantina de San Angel in Mexico (really good chicken tacos) are my faves. Most quick service locations at DHS aren't very good, but for a snack, check out Writer's Stop and Pizza Planet has some actually half decent theme park pizza. If you hit Downtown Disney, I can't recommend Earl of Sandwich enough. But check out Pollo Compero too (pretty decent fried chicken).

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions! Keep them coming!

We have an Earl of Sandwich here in Anaheim(love it!), as well as the pork shanks (although I've never tried them...perhaps I will now!)

Comment

For me, one of the highlights that I might have overlooked was the live entertainment in World Showcase in EPCOT. I especially loved the comedy troup in United Kingdom. Also, Illuminations at the end of the day at EPCOT is a terrific show, very unlike anything in any of the other Disney parks.

I agree that it's a good opportunity to see the Country Bears and Hall of Presidents, since we don't have those.

Also, I love the 360 movies they show at Epcot in Canada and China, and the film Impressions de France.

As a regular Disneyland attendee, I'd say don't worry if you miss Fantasmic. Except for the seating, Disneyland's version is far superior.
          http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
          http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ip-report.html
          http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...something.html

No matter where you go, there you are.

Comment

WDW has really good restaurants. Don't miss those.

The Lion King show is really good. Main Street Electrical parade is amazing. The shows around EPCOT World Showcase are generally worth a stop. They're even better during the Food and Wine Festival.

And rent a car. You'll find that you waste so much time traveling between rides and attractions and parks that you just need more time to make up for wasted time.

If you're a regular at DL, you'll find that your money buys you far less at WDW because it takes so much time to travel between the parks. You need extra days to just make up for the amount of travel time. Plus, watch for park closing hours. The parks in WDW close far earlier than the DL/DCA parks. And with downtown Disney in WDW lacking adult entertainment, you will find yourself quickly bored in the evenings, so plan your evenings out before you go, maybe late night dinner reservations.

If you want a DL like experience, check out Universal, which is set up a lot like DL.

Comment

Recommendations per my only WDW trips - 1992 & 1995 :

Don't miss out on Country Bear Jamboree and Hall of Presidents ... since they are "WDW Exclusives".

The "Voyage of the Little Mermaid" show in Disney Hollywood Studios is exceptionally nice. I particularly liked the pre-show waiting room to get into the mood. Don't miss it!

Since Circle-Vision is now a permanently defunct format for the DLR ... I'd have a look at one of the circle-vision films for either the Canada or China pavilions. I recall Canada's has been updated. Not sure about the China film.
              MY SIGNATURE:
              Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Comment

I have 4 nights, so one will be MK for fireworks and MSEP (so excited for that trip down memory lane!), one for fantasmic with dining package to save time in line, and one for illuminations.

I was actually quite surprised with the hours. My first night MK is actually open until 10, with EMH until midnight! A Sunday in Feb...who knew? I don't think I'll be done at a park before 8 or 9 any day, which with 4.5 days back to back is going to be crazy! I'm doing half a day at WWoHP, to make things more complicated!

For EPCOT, should I make a full on dining reservation or snack my way through the world? Should it have reservations for snacks, or are there quick services in the world showcase?

Should I rent a car? Is the bus service that bad or that much of a time waster? I know to plan for some time between parks, but is driving going to be much faster? I'm staying at Pop century, which has dedicate bus service...
                Last edited by CassiefRN; 12-10-2013, 11:31 PM.

Comment

CassiefRN,

My mom will be down there during the same dates you will - staying at the campground in their RV. Here's what we told them about Animal Kingdom...

SHOWS

You should make a point of seeing both the Flights of Wonder and Lion King shows. The first is a relatively short, fun up-close look at birds with an easy-going environmental theme feathered (see what I did there?) into the show. Lion King is an in-the-round music, dance and acrobatic "Cirque-styled" review with great costuming and seasoned regular cast, who can really belt it out. Amazing float-mounted AA LK animals perform along with the human tribe performers. I now make a point to see this every time we visit. Sit down front!

FOOD

Food at AK is a good value and Flame Tree BBQ is the place to go. Take your ribs (wow-level, for a theme park), smoked chicken or pork lunch down to the secluded pavilion overlooking the lake, Asia and Expedition Everest. You'll be joined by bold ibis (birds) while you eat, but resist feeding them. The aren't supposed to eat BBQ! It is a not-so-hidden, but always quiet spot to relax and enjoy one of the best-themed parks in Disney's world.

serves both tray lunch and table service dinner. Think Yoshinoya type rice-bowls and you get the idea. Good stuff, but definitely plays second to Flame Tree BBQ for lunch.

Restaurantosaurus is a Southwestern desert-themed joint that serves underwhelming food that will please the chicken nugget and fries crowd. However, they do have neat theming that makes you feel like you're taking a break while on a paleontology dig somewhere in Arizona or New Mexico. An Airstream trailer is laminated to the side of the building and you can dine there if that catches your fancy.

RIDES / ATTRACTIONS

Get FastPasses / + your reservations for very early or very late rides on the Kilimanjaro Safari, as the animals are more active then than any other times of day.

It won't be cold, but February isn't summer either, so Kali Rapids should be ridden mid-day or under a poncho if you don't want to get drenched. Do not wear jeans onto this attraction if you can't get covered - our kids discovered that wet pants are miserable to wear when wet.

You may not find the park to be crushingly busy during your visit, but the single-rider line will take between 15 - 30 minutes off your wait for Expedition Everest.

The Pangani Trail and Jungle Trail exhibits are really well done. Really immersive, up-close spaces to view tiger, bats, gorilla and others.

At this point, there aren't night-time activities at Animal Kingdom, so you may want to consider combining this daytime park with some night-time fun at Hollywood Studios. I don't know if Fantasmic will be playing, but Tower of Terror can be fun at night. It is a little different than the DCA version and worth an after-dark spin.

Have fun, safe travels!
                  ~ Erik

Comment

The American Adventure is one of my all-time favorite Disney attractions, and is not to be missed (plus it will let you rest for a while). Impressions de France is a fairly straightforward movie, but it's very well done and a nice hidden gem

If you want to snack your way around World Showcase, you can definitely do that. Each pavilion except Italy and Canada has at least one quick service restaurant or permanent food kiosk, so you'll have plenty of options to sample from. The table service restaurants there are pretty unique (especially by DLR standards), so you may want to consider that for one meal

I've generally found that you really don't need to rent a car if you're smart about your traveling. Getting between the hotels and parks can take a while midday, but is generally pretty simple early in the morning or late at night. If you're parkhopping it may take a while to wait for a bus, but if you plan your hopping right (Epcot/MK, Studios/Epcot) it isn't too bad

Comment

ORWEN: You look so familiar to us FerretAfros, duckling! Have we met before? In any case, welcome to Mice Chat!

ORDDU: Yes, he's a dear little Ferret it's easy to see.

ORGOCH: What took him so long ta git here? That's what I wants ta know!!!

Comment

Thank you for all the info...this is really helping my trip take shape. I love animals and look forward to seeing them in a Disney setting, but how long should I plan to spend at AK? I have a membership to the San Diego zoo/safari park and go throughout the year, so I'd rather focus on more unique features while there.

Comment

Originally posted by danlb_2000
                          I see a number of people recommending the Festival of the Lion King show, which is a great choice, but if the op is going this February it will not be open.
                          Is it closing or just seasonal?

Comment

Ah, bummer!

Comment

Thanks, everyone, for all of the posts on this thread! This is an excellent thread to take notes from when planning a WDW trip.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X