X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 1st WDW trip for a DLR regular

Originally posted by Dapper Dan View Post
    I'm sorry you had an underwhelming experience, but I think you just came to the resort at a bad time. If you do ever decide to give the place another chance you should plan your trip for some time between 1986 and 1992.

Hahaha, seriously! MGM Studios and Epcot especially were so much better then!

Comment

Great TR Cassie. Thank you for posting. I love both coasts. I grew up on DL, it was definitely my park. I moved to Orlando in '95 and sometime in the last five years I have caught myself referring to MK as my park. I originally hated the MK. It could do nothing right and DL could do no wrong. But even after my first visit, I knew I would come back. It was WDW has a hole that impressed me. I now love the MK, sincerely. But DL, even though its not "my park" anymore, is still my favorite. Disney World is spread out, to much so in my opinion, but the curse does have some big blessing too. DLR could never be the resort that is WDW. From full service spas (pural, Saratoga Springs AND Grand Floridian), to golf and tennis courses, from camping and fishing, to boating, hiking, and bicycle riding. Single bikes? double bikes? four passenger family bike rides? check, check and double check! Two fully immersive and highly fleshed out themed Water Parks. And Resort hotels that are Attractions by themselves: The Animals at Animal Kingdom Lodge, the pool at the Yacht and Beach Club, the BoardWalk at Disney's BoardWalk, and theme and landscaping of Port Orleans resort.... Any many others! WDW is still the premiere destination resort of the world. It is the most complete. WDW's Downtown Disney is large and expansive with shopping, dinning and entertainment options.

The challenge is..... The Jack of all trades is a master at nothing. WDW is the jack of all trades, it has something for everyone, and a lot of it, but the DLR is the Master at theme parks,at least in the US. I take no issue in ranking the 6 US Disney themes parks in the following order, show for show, ride for ride, and total family offering.... #1 Disneyland. #2 Magic Kingdom #3 California Adventure #4 Epcot #5 Disney's Animal Kingdom and #6 DHS. Regarding #1 and #2, DL is warm, small and charming, while MK is big and majestic. Both have pros and cons, but yes, DL's pros push it over the MK. And honestly I could even be convince to flip flop DCA and MK in the ranking.

But the MK can and does shine. I prefer DL's space mountain, but I would never trade WDW's for it. I like the two interconnecting tracks and the drops that DL's Space Mountain does not have. I love the MK still has the people mover, its a favorite of mine. The castle is what it is, and that is to say completely awesome. I also favor MK's Jungle Cruise over Disneyland's, and add Splash Mountain to that list. So while DL wins over all, there are moments within the MK that I have come to embrace for their differences. Move it, Shake it, Celebrate it, is loads of fun, and I never miss watching the crowds enjoy this not so mini, mini parade. It is one of the few things right with WDW entertainment right now.

I guess the biggest flaw I could put on WDW, is this little fact....

while the four parks of WDW clearly have more "attractions" then DL's two parks did you know that DL's two parks actually have more RIDES then WDW's four parks? And there I cannot come up with an excuse, as it should not be the case. WDW has more of everything except rides, and that to why the lines are long, for the ride type of attractions. How many long show lines did you stand in? WDW as plenty of shows, but even the big productions are Nemo are relatively easy to get in and good viewing for. I would encourage you to come back, just not soon, maybe in five years or so, and come in Early November. One of the reminding slow times at WDW.
      Last edited by Kidgenie; 03-09-2014, 04:19 PM.

Comment

^Excellent post Kidgenie!
        I concur with almost all of what you said. I grew up going to Disneyland as well, then from 1989-1992 we went to WDW four summers in a row. I always thought Disneyland was the superior of the two Magic Kingdom style parks, and still adamantly feel that way. I've been to WDW three more times and am going again in two weeks. Each time I've gone back in the last few years I always feel the same way: there's so much I wish they'd improve upon, but I still enjoy going back to WDW overall. Hopefully sometime soon Disney will have allot a great sum of money to improve DHS, Epcot, and maybe bring in new, cooler buses. ...among other things.

Comment

Originally posted by Mondo Mouse View Post
          ^Excellent post Kidgenie!
          I concur with almost all of what you said. I grew up going to Disneyland as well, then from 1989-1992 we went to WDW four summers in a row. I always thought Disneyland was the superior of the two Magic Kingdom style parks, and still adamantly feel that way. I've been to WDW three more times and am going again in two weeks. Each time I've gone back in the last few years I always feel the same way: there's so much I wish they'd improve upon, but I still enjoy going back to WDW overall. Hopefully sometime soon Disney will have allot a great sum of money to improve DHS, Epcot, and maybe bring in new, cooler buses. ...among other things.
          Thanks Mondo! I'm actually visiting Disneyland from the 14-17 of this month. Although I do leave early on the 17th, so really its just the 14-16. So much to do in so little time! But aside from that, I am usually in the WDW parks on weekends, often hangin out with weekly walt disney world meets that Kevin Yee started. Feel free to join the group and have a great time when your at WDW.

Comment

Originally posted by CassiefRN View Post
            For you, it's more expensive, but for half the country it's probably cheaper to fly to LA than FL. I can see added expense if staying onsite, as there are no disney owned "value" resorts, however many along harbor, while not being disney owned, are similarly priced to WDW value resorts while offering much more in terms in amenities, plus many are actually in walking distance to the park vs a 15 minute packed bus ride at WDW. My onsite resort stay at WDW had zero disney magic, so there would be nothing like that missing from an offsite stay at DLR. EMH are not as much if a perk as WDW, since they are just one hour in the morning. I have experienced both WDW and DLR, and I prefer my home park (as most people do, be it WDW or DLR). I really wanted to love WDW, but I didn't.

I think you are being very unfair to judge the surrounding area do a park you have never been to. Like any large city, Anaheim has some extremely nice areas, some "dirty" areas, and most of it is average, American single family middle class homes. According to zillow, Anaheim Home Prices and Home Values - Zillow the median Anaheim home value is 450k...you don't pay that to live in a "filthy" area, even in Orange County, CA with high home values...
            I am not trying to be unfair.. As I said I really want to make it to DL at some point. It is on my "bucket list" as many would say. There are things that are exclusive to DL that I want to see really bad. ie Carsland, Matterhorn, Indiana Jones ride, World of Color etc...

I am sure a trip to DL would be something I would throughly enjoy as it was Walt's original and that something it will always have.

I love the get away from everything feel WDW provides me.. I usually go on a Disney trip when my real life is packed with stress and I need to get away from it all. I am not sold that DL would provide that... maybe it would.. but even if it does not... I am sure I would still love it.

I didn't mean to offend by any means.
            Co-Host of the Disney Nerds Podcast (found on i-tunes, Stitcher, and Podbean)
            Co-Creator of the Mouseketeer Club group on Facebook.

Comment

Working...
            X