• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• News Fire at Disney World's Journey of the Little Mermaid ride

Just saw this news:
    Fire at Disney World's Journey of the Little Mermaid ride

http://www.wftv.com/news/news/local/...es-fire/ndNsQ/

I'm on the West Coast (DL regular) - anyone here know more about it?
    Last edited by Scarlet Spanky; 02-13-2014, 07:00 PM.

Re: Fire at Disney World's Journey of the Little Mermaid ride

Here's another article with more information. Apparently, small fires like this (at least in the brush around FL) happen from time to time. But this was on the roof. Seems the sprinkler system that wets the roof may not have worked properly? There's a grainy poor quality video of the "fire". Don't know enough about The New Fantasyland to know how big a deal this was.

Journey of The Little Mermaid at Magic Kingdom Lit on Fire by Fireworks | The Disney Blog

Comment

It's most likely a plant within the rockwork. I'm not sure if they even bothered putting a sprinkler system on that roof because there's no pyro shot from that particular roof.
      DisneyTwins
      Since May 2003

Comment

Originally posted by Disneytwins View Post
        It's most likely a plant within the rockwork. I'm not sure if they even bothered putting a sprinkler system on that roof because there's no pyro shot from that particular roof.
        I'm just going by what the article said. That a sprinkler is on the roof and that guests may actually get wet!

Comment

It's pretty crazy how an ember lands that far from a launch site.
          DisneyTwins
          Since May 2003

Comment

Originally posted by Mojave View Post
            Here's another article with more information. Apparently, small fires like this (at least in the brush around FL) happen from time to time. But this was on the roof. Seems the sprinkler system that wets the roof may not have worked properly? There's a grainy poor quality video of the "fire". Don't know enough about The New Fantasyland to know how big a deal this was.

Journey of The Little Mermaid at Magic Kingdom Lit on Fire by Fireworks | The Disney Blog
            Thanks!

Comment

it's not just the launch sites that need retarding... the embers fall all over.

Comment

I'm just saying that Disney mainly hoses the roofs that launch pyro rather than all the roofs in Fantasyland.
                DisneyTwins
                Since May 2003

Comment

It's pretty crazy how an ember lands that far from a launch site.
                  Don't forget to take wind into account. And it was a bit windy yesterday.

Comment

Yeah. I remember when I visited this past year the place was raining from debris.
                    DisneyTwins
                    Since May 2003

Comment

ORDDU: Several years ago--during a Mickey's Halloween Party event--my sisters and I were standing near the carousel during the fireworks display and there was debris from the shells falling all around us and a cinder even got into Orwen's eyes. This is probably one of the reason's they rope off Fantasyland during the fireworks these days...

Comment

actually it really is all of the fantasyland roofs that have the sprinkler system. Pooh's roof, Princess Meet and Greet, Philharmagic, Peterpan, IaSW, PVH, etc etc... all. If you look for it, you can see the sprinklers soaking the roofs prior to and during the show, Wishes.

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X