Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Question] Any good about Fastpass Plus?

I've got my next trip to Walt Disney World scheduled for about 2 years from now. I'm getting a little nervous about this new Fastpass Plus thing. I know many people are not too enthusiastic about it. My concern is I don't want to have to plan out everything weeks/months in advance (or necessarily even days) when I'm on vacation. I'm not too concerned about rides, as I don't really use fastpass too often, as it is. I also know you only get 3 fast passes a day, anyway. My biggest concern is food. Is it really that impossible to get same day reservations or even walk ins in any of the restaurants? I've always loved the creative restaurants at WDW, and I'd hate to think that I'm going to be limited to fast food, simply because I don't want to plan out every aspect of my trip and sacrifice spontenaity, due to the new system.

So, my question is, for those who have used it already, what are the positives about this system? Is it as bad as people are saying about getting into restaurants? How about off times like early or late meals?
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...oto-heavy.html
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...ip-report.html
    http://micechat.com/forums/disneylan...something.html

No matter where you go, there you are.

Re: Any good about Fastpass Plus?

http://micechat.com/forums/walt-disn...selection.html

You can still get same day at most places.. not a guarantee though. We were shut out at Ohana but got into many places as well.
    Co-Host of the Disney Nerds Podcast (found on i-tunes, Stitcher, and Podbean)
    Co-Creator of the Mouseketeer Club group on Facebook.

Comment

^^^That is rumor about FP+, don't bother reading it until things actually change.

There is indication that things will change. Some guests are currently in a test to make FP+ dining reservations, meal time and menu items at BOG.

If you don't make reservations you may have to wait 30-60 minutes for a table. When you get closed see what the situation is and plan accordingly.
      Be Cool Stay in School!
      Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

Comment

Originally posted by swampymarsh View Post
        ^^^That is rumor about FP+, don't bother reading it until things actually change.

There is indication that things will change. Some guests are currently in a test to make FP+ dining reservations, meal time and menu items at BOG.

If you don't make reservations you may have to wait 30-60 minutes for a table. When you get closed see what the situation is and plan accordingly.
        Why are you being such a jerk about that thread??
        Co-Host of the Disney Nerds Podcast (found on i-tunes, Stitcher, and Podbean)
        Co-Creator of the Mouseketeer Club group on Facebook.

Comment

I've had only one visit to Orlando in recent history, and I did have a problem with the restaurants. Apparently, even before FP+, reservations were booked ahead of time. I was by myself, so I did get a table at the Inn in Liberty Square, but if I'd had people with me I doubt they would have had a table.

I don't plan much ahead, and usually it's fine.
          I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

Comment

I am presently planning a trip for August, and I refuse to get too concerned about the Fastpass Plus thing. My reservation says that I can make my fast pass selections in the middle of June. When that time comes, I will check it out. Normally, I start my day at park opening. Sometimes that is an early entry. I always do my "Want to ride" attractions first. Then the rest of the day is "gravy" for me.

I really do think that the 180 day window for ADR's is ridiculous. Some people don't even book their vacation that far in advance. I know that I didn't. So, by the time I had my hotel booked, the popular dining spots may be all booked up. Places like Ohana, and the new Be Our Guest Restaurant, for instance. I think they should go back to perhaps 90 days.

There's lots of chatter on these two topics on other websites. Some people like the new Magic Bands, and some people don't. Like anything else, that's new. Time will tell. I figure even before August, things could change with Fastpass Plus. The 180 day ADR thing, has been that way for a very long time. Now quite sure about Disney's thinking on that move.

I like to go with flow too, but it is also nice to sometimes know that you can eat, on a certain day, at one of your favorite places. I like my vacations to be perhaps a little planned out, but not so much that it spoils the magic.
            BarbaraAnn

Comment

Originally posted by DisneyNerdTom View Post
              Why are you being such a jerk about that thread??
              I think he's just trying to make sure people are aware that it is just a rumor so people don't make plans off of speculation.

Yes, in two years, I predict there will be many changes, including the option for selecting FP in more than one park and maybe even a floating 4th, but until anything is announced, it's hard to say. but since you said you don't really care about rides, this isn't a concern.

for restaurants, some have walk up availability day of, usually with a wait, others do not. Character meals typically don't, as well as other popular or new restaurants, such as BOG dinner. BOG is a quick service for lunch, but usually has a 30-60+ minute wait. There are FP+ for this, currently for onsite guests only at this time. Perhaps within two years they will start a FP+ for other QS as well.

Since you are two years out, all you can really do is wait. Disney is really focusing on the pre-planning, though, so as to lock people in to their parks so they don't dare venture to outside attractions and spend their money elsewhere.
              Follow me on Instagram: @disneylovingnurse :ap:

Comment

Yes. Disney's theory is to keep people on their property, and to get as much of their money "up front" as they can.

I have had many wonderful WDW vacations. After my 2009 vacation, I got a bit squeamish about returning. I also didn't read, or study up on too many of the new policies at the park.

Last year, I visited the Magic Kingdom and Epcot, but I did not stay on property. This year, I am staying on property and even bought a vacation package. I don't normally do that, but I bit on the Free Memory Maker offer. I did the Math, and the price seemed worth it, for what I am getting.

Will I like the Magic Band? Will I use Fastpass Plus? Will I like Fastpass Plus? Will I feel that the Memory Maker has true value? I guess only time will tell.

I know that I will have fun. I always do. My motto is that if you don't have fun on your vacation, then it's your own fault.
                BarbaraAnn

Comment

I like your philosophy. I just don't want too work to hard at having fun. Generally, I've made advance reservations for one or maybe two special meals, like a dinner show or character meal. Other than that, it was same day or the day before. My hope is the bugs will be worked out within the next two years.

Comment

I think this all depends on what you are used to. Regular WDW customers will probably think it's about the same or better than their old system. However, if you are familiar and accustomed to the fastpass system at DLR, than you will probably be disappointed. I am a longtime and frequent DLR visitor and had my first trip to WDW last month. I did as much research and planning ,before hand, as I possibly could and was very excited about my upcoming visit. I liked the part of the magic band that made purchases and my hotel stay seamless but the fastpass system attached to it served to be nothing but an annoyance and a waste of time. The 3 "attractions" per day that they offered at the time was a bit of a joke and made me feel like I was getting ripped off. So like I said before, it will really depend on what you are accustomed to.
                    With all of that said I would think 2 years down the road may be a completely different situation all together. Hopefully for the better.
                    One more thing, on my trip, the absolutely most frustrating was dining. The lines and waits to get anything to eat at MK(other parks were easy) were crazy. If I were to ever go to MK again I would just pack a lunch.

Comment

My biggest concern is the dining situation. It's a little relieving to read that the three parks that aren't Magic Kingdom don't have an issue with dining. I do hope that many bugs will be worked out by 2016.

Comment

When I visit the Magic Kingdom, I like to take a break by visiting one of the monorail resorts for a meal. There are several table service restaurants in the monorail resorts that you can make ADR's for. Or I stop by one of Quick Service restaurants, or Food Courts. I have found them not very crowded in the middle of the day, and/or at the dinner hour. It breaks up the day, and allows me to rest.
                        BarbaraAnn

Comment

Hey BA! I just came back from a trip to WDW and used FP+ for the first time, overall my experience with this new system was good. Of course there were hiccups, but that is to be expected ... yet it did still bother me that I had to take time out of my day to go through Guest Relations when (in the past) I just obtained a FP in the park.

Personally neither of us going on the trip made any advance FP+ reservations, we just used the app to reserve for the next day or went to the FP+ kiosk to make reservations on the same day. What we did make advance reservations for is dining, mostly because we plan our parks for the day on that. Most of our dining was in the evening, so we would get FP+ ride reservations early in the day for one park and hop over to the other park in the evening.

Although, if you tend to visit the resort hotel dining spots I doubt you'll have much problems making same day reservations. Of course, I'm sure you know that there might be issues for the more popular spots. I know I changed some reservations around the day of and was still able to get in, but then I did call early in the day and made arrangements through the concierge desk.

If you have any other questions about any of this feel free to ask. It's a bit overwhelming at first, but once you start using it things get a bit easier. Yes, I don't like planning EVERYTHING about my trip so far in advance ... yet you can work with it.

Comment

No. It is not as bad as you have heard. One Con: standing in line to make a FP+ reservation. Fix: do it on line or do it late in the day and/or for the next day. Lines are walk up's by early afternoon. Pro: It is so nice walk into Epcot for the first time at 3pm, knowing you have a Soaring Fast Pass for 4:30pm. This was impossible with the old system. But now you can do that with ANY e-ticket.

So there are pros, and I can tell you as someone who is in these parks several time a week, the general population is enjoying My Magic Plus and Magic Bands. Merchandise stores now sell t-shirts with a picture of a magic band and a caption that reads "I am with the Band". Its actually selling!

I think there is a lot of tweaks to be done. I may be flamed for saying so but my near everyday experience with My Magic Plus and Magic Bands is definitely at odds with the doom and gloom "biggest mistake ever" attitude the prevails here.

I know, I drink the juice, love blindly or I am a "Disney plant" that just is on here to spread propaganda about the new system That said....

Biggest "issue" has to be the limit per three. It would be nice to have more, but honestly, I do think three is about right. When I blitz through DLR March 16, 17th, and 18th, on the 17th I tackled a VERY busy Disneyland. touring plans rated it a 9 out of 10. I rode Peter Pan, Mr. Toad, Dumbo, Matterhorn, Space, Autopia, DLRR, Horse Drawn Trolly, Space again Mansion, Pirates, and Indy, prior to Soundsational's first performance, which I think was at 4pm. We had Breakfast at River Belle Terrace, and Lunch at Cafe New Orleans. We did have early addmission in which we use to tackle Pan, Toad, Dumbo and Matterhorn.

That all said, we only used Fast Pass for a second ride on Space and for Indy. But again I had a DVC preview entitlement for Thunder so lets count that as I didn't have to wait in line. So really I did all that, before 4pm, two meals, and only used FP 3 times. The 3 limit is not the end of the world. And if you know that on a particular day your going to be earlier or later in the day, you can now plan for that.

Recently I entered into the Magic Kingdom at 2pm, when to Liberty Square's Air conditioned FP+ assistance center, WITH NO LINE and booked same day FP+ for Pirates at 2:30, IaSW at 5pm and Big Thunder at 7pm. On a Saturday. Busy park with a midnight closing. That was pretty magical.

Strange things happen with FP+ that are new to me. In the case above, I got my FP+ times assigned about about 2:15, and went directly to Pirates for my 2:30 to discover it had a 45 minute stand by wait!!!! WHAT?!?!?!? I had not even been in the park for 45 minutes and I have a same day FP for this attraction with a current wait time of 45 minutes!!!! the ONLY thing that would have made that better is if it was Disneyland's Version of the ride One can dream.

Comment

I have certain rides in each park that I do like to ride. I guess we can all say that. Once my fastpass plus window has opened, I will check out the lists in each park. I am planning on park hopping, so it will be nice to have rides waiting for the parks I am hopping to, which in my case will be Epcot, and DHS. Still want to call that one MGM.

I plan on spending most of my time at the Magic Kingdom. I am sure during those many park hours, I will probably manage to get on everything that I like. I have never been a huge fan of fast pass in general. However, I am willing to give this thing a try. I don't get to WDW too often.
                              BarbaraAnn

Comment

Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X